BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-07-01 5:20 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Originally posted by ok2try

I guess since my next race is approaching in a couple of weeks I'd better put up my report from my last race. The report is very long; I do that not just to entertain you, but for my reference for later races. The short story: I had a very good race but it would have been a super race if i'd learn to swim straight & not to smash my toes on things . . .

Deb

Good race report Deb. 

Just wondering, you sure you didn't stub your toe when you kicked the helmet out of the way in T2?

2017-07-01 5:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by triosaurus

Hi everyone

I have not posted here in a while, but I have been reading along. Some great races and reports from group members! Congrats

I have been doing ok with my swim and ride training, however ... my knee continues to give me grief,,, and some frustration. Yes, this is triathlon, and I have not been diagnosed with life-threatening illness, for which I am grateful. I am still a bit bummed that all of my run training now sits idle, and I worry that I will be unable to complete IM Canada, or will have to walk all 42 km etc... Also, I guess the reality of just over a month to go has me doing the usual stressing about whether I am ready etc Who am 'I' to be toeing the line in an Ironman

Anyway, I am trying to stay positively-focused on what I can do (ride, which is REALLY important, and swim) and let things get better. I will go see a massage therapist, because I suspect, and hope, that tightness/weakness in hips/glutes/adductors is leading to the tightness in hamstrings/calf muscles, and so the back-of-knee pain is a result. Yesterday, I spent time in the pharma section of Walmart , coming home with muscle relaxants, and some topical A535 rub I have been doing quite a lot of stretching, which seems to help, and frankly sometimes just feels good .

I may be driving up to Whistler within the week to ride part of the course... I truly hope that my current ride training has me ready for the notorious hills, and that I do not come home with even more worry, but instead a renewed sense of .... I M Possible

Lessons learned last week - check temperature prior to departing on a 6-hr ride. We had record-setting temps last weekend, and some humidity, so my 1 bottle per hour was insufficient, and I paid for it the last hour. Also, without a cycle computer on my tri rig, I went by feel, and blew the pacing ...going out too hard. I was SOOOO glad not to HAVE to do a run after that ride (ie as in a race).. It was a scheduled brick, but NO WAY could I have gone out...

kelly

Hey Kelly,

Have you considered pool running?  I worked with an athlete a while back that couldn't run more than a couple miles without developing shin splints that prevented running for several days.  His longest run leading up to his Ironman was less than 9-miles - he did that one time; most of his runs were less than 5-miles.  His highest weekly run volume in the three months leading up to the race was less than 12-miles.  He did some pool running which seemed to help a little bit and we hit the bike REALLY hard - pretty much all the time he couldn't run he was on the bike.  I wouldn't recommend his approach as the ideal way to prepare for an Ironman marathon and he ended up walking a fair portion of the IM because he was under-prepared but he finished faster than the 13:00 we projected.  Don't get down, you can do this!

My wife uses 'Blue Emu.'  She absolutely swears by the stuff for any ache or pain - including her osteoarthritis.  She is bone on bone in one of her knees and the Blue Emu completely removes any pain or discomfort. 

Edited by k9car363 2017-07-01 5:33 PM
2017-07-01 6:39 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by kszelei

Hi Scott,

I have a swim question. I am following one of the plans with the goal of completing an Olympic tri in October. I have 2 swims scheduled per week, one about 1500 yards and the other 1850 yards. Is it better to do the 2 swims or split the distance over 4 days (800-850 yds each day)? The reason I ask is that if I try to do a brick on a swim day, I end up completely exhausted. Then my family says I am a big grouch. I know I will have to build up to a 1500 yard swim for the tri, though.

What do you think?

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I'll try and answer your question in a couple parts.  First, as to how much you "should" be swimming.  As a VERY general guideline I recommend that an athlete build their swim volume up to 1.5-2.0 times the swim race distance 3-4 times per week - for an Olympic that works out to 2,250-3,000 meters (~ 2,500-3,300 yards) per workout, 3-4 times per week.  Note I said build to that volume, not start that volume tomorrow.  After building up I ideally like to see an athlete at that volume a minimum of 4-6 weeks leading up to the race.  Following that general volume plan will typically have an athlete coming out of the water middle to front-middle of the pack.  To consistently get to front of the pack out of the water typically will take 2-3 times the race swim distance 4-5 times per week. 

I know your question wasn't so much about total volume as it is about how to handle the volume you are doing.  I just wanted to put your volume in context of what it takes for a middle/front-middle of the pack swim.

As to the volume you are doing - ESPECIALLY FOR NEWER SWIMMERS - I regularly say you are far better swimming more frequently for a shorter period of time then less frequently for a greater amount of time, even if your total time in the water is greater when swimming less frequently - for example I'd rather see 4 x 30-minutes than 2 x 90-minutes.  Frequency matters, especially for newer swimmers still struggling with proper technique.  Now, I'm going to qualify what I just said.  Any workout needs to include a thorough warm-up, a main-set, and a cool-down.  If prescribed by a qualified coach or instructor your workout may also include a brief drill set.  It can get hard to fit all that in if your available time is too short or you are pace challenged so there is a point of diminishing returns.

It's VERY important early in your swimming career that you are swimming with proper technique so that you can build swim fitness based on proper technique.  I have said this before but it is worth repeating.  Technique and swim fitness are two sides of the same coin - you can't have one without the other.  The dichotomy is that you need proper technique to build proper swim fitness and you need good swim fitness to develop proper technique.  The solution is proper technique and good swim fitness MUST be developed simultaneously.  The most efficient way to do that is frequent shorter sessions.  It is very important to remember this - if technique breaks down during whatever workout you are doing - take an additional 3-5 minutes of rest.  If that does not restore your technique, get out of the water, go home, and do it again the next time.  You are doing yourself a dis-service continuing to swim with poor technique.  You want to commit proper technique to muscle memory - you cannot do that if you are swimming with poor technique.

I don't know which plan you are following, if you'd like to share with me which plan I can maybe give a more specific answer.  Obviously I don't know what brick you are doing, however, using the volume you alluded to, if a short ride or run combined with an 1,850 swim has you completely baked, I submit you might need to break your swim up and focus on technique.

Hope that helps.

Edited by k9car363 2017-07-01 6:58 PM
2017-07-02 5:42 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Be Careful Out There

Hi all,

I have a bit of a sad announcement to make.  As most of you know, Deb B. recently rejoined our group.  A bit of backstory - Deb is 70 years young and has been aggressively training and following a plan that was to have her competing at the USAT National Age-Group Olympic Triathlon Championships in 6-weeks at Omaha, Nebraska.  Deb and I have every expectation that she would have seriously challenged for the 70-74F Championship.

During a training ride this morning Deb had an accident..  According to a witness she lost her front wheel in some gravel and went down very hard.  The witness assisted Deb on scene as she briefly lost consciousness and he called paramedics.  Deb was transported to the hospital and diagnosed with a broken femur as well as other minor injuries.  She is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning.

Her medical team is very impressed with her fitness and told Deb they expect she will make a full recovery.  I spoke with Deb's husband a short time ago and he said that while Deb is terribly disappointed she will be missing Nationals this year, she is already talking about next year.

Deb's husband and I are already trying to figure out how we can keep this incredibly inspirational woman within shouting distance of her doctors orders!

I will keep you updated on her condition as I learn more.

2017-07-02 11:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Be Careful Out There

That is bad news Scott.  I certainly hope Deb is back in racing form as soon as possible while being patient and healing properly before she starts pushing hard again.  I did have to smile when you said she is, "already talking about next year."  Please tell her we are concerned about her and wishing her a speedy recovery.

2017-07-02 11:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Thanks, Scott , for the info about water running... I had done quite a bit many years ago due to stress fractures, but have not thought about it lately.

Additionally, and much more importantly, please give Deb my best wishes for a complete recovery.

I hope that both you and your wife are doing well!

kelly

Edited by triosaurus 2017-07-02 11:32 PM

2017-07-03 2:05 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Reall sorry to hear about Deb's accident but glad she's expected to make a full recovery. Take your time to heal Deb, best wishes!
2017-07-03 8:28 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
As above, please pass my best wishes to Deb.
I hope she makes a full recovery and comes back even stronger

Adrian
2017-07-04 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Scott - so sorry to hear this!!  Deb is a tremendous inspo to me.  Given her tenacity and grit - for her to be where she is now at 70 ... I have no doubt that this is a temporary setback.  Wishing her the best along with a speedy recovery.

Scott ... please let us know how Deb's recovery progresses.

Ciao ... Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2017-07-04 7:12 AM
2017-07-05 8:07 AM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

An update on Deb -

She had surgery yesterday to repair a proximal femur fracture - broken hip.  Surgery went well and she is actively planning her next steps which include for starters - "Hip Camp."

I suppose a picture is worth a thousand words.  At least she was aero in surgery!

(8095.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
8095.jpg (132KB - 5 downloads)
2017-07-05 2:14 PM

User image

sorry to hear Deb. Was looking forward to seeing you in Omaha. Prayers with you as you recover.

David

2017-07-08 2:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I hope that Deb is recovering well, and that she is still in great spirits.

Is anyone racing this weekend? Good luck !

2017-07-08 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I'm not exactly racing but I've got a Velocefondo bike ride tomorrow - 126km including 1000m of hill climbing and by 11:00 we're expecting it to heat up.  In the past that meant 111F.

It's just a fun ride and I'm doing it for the beer and burger at the finish line.

2017-07-08 1:37 PM

User image

Im doing the Highlander (escape the redcoats ) tomorrow in Newtonmore:

39 bike
6 mile trail run
6 mile bike back to finish
:-)

2017-07-08 9:24 PM
in reply to: Juliecl

User image

Extreme Veteran
George - Good luck on the ride, be safe, and stay hydrated!

Julie - Good luck on the Highlander (such a COOL name for an event Also wanted to ask/mention that I do not recall seeing a post on how your tri in Florida went...

I had a scheduled 60-min swim today...did it in the pool. Nice n easy and managed to get 3150m at 1:04. I am very hopeful of swimming the 3.8km in 1:20.

kelly

2017-07-08 9:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
George - I wanted to ask you about the Whistler hills, and what gearing you ran on your bike last summer.

I am thinking I might take my bike in and have a mtn bike deraiileur installed so I can run a cassette with 11-32, as the 12-27 I have now 'may' be a bit tall for the hills in Whistler...The current road derailleur will accept up to 28.
I currently have done a 165 km ride - with 1400 m of climbing. That was ok, but there were one or two short, steep climbs that I wished I had juuuust one more gear

cheers
kelly

2017-07-09 6:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Weekend is here ...

First of ... Scott thanks for the update on Deb and hope she's doing well post-surgery. 

Also ... Deb - if you're checking in from time to time, please stay plugged in to the group!  Your comments and advice are always appreciated.

My week has turned out lousy!  I went to the gym earlier this week for strength and cycle workouts.  I warmed up ~5mins on the spin cycle and proceeded to the weight lifting machines.  My 'leg' workout typically consists of 3 sets of leg extensions, leg curls (hamstrings) and squats.  During my first leg extension lift, I noticed a sharp pain in one knee, but it subsided.  I finished my 'legs' strength workout and had no further issues.

Once I got on the spin cycle, I was done ... the sharp pain was back with every pedal stroke. I was pretty bummed out as I knew I'd strained a muscle or knee joint, and only time/rest/ice, et al heals this stuff.  I going to try a nice easy bike ride this morning, hoping to get in something for the week ... we'll see how it goes.

Hope our group had a good week and weekend.

Ciao ... Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2017-07-09 7:57 AM
2017-07-09 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Kelly ... fwiw - I'm running an 11-32 rear cassette on my road bike as well.  It does have the long throw idler and I've had zero issues with this baby.  Good luck!

Dorm

2017-07-09 8:56 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: How was your week?
Sorry to hear you are hurt Dorm, hope it's not serious.

Had another great week, even better than last week. 2 workouts a day, plus walking the dog (fast and including some light strength and stretch), golf and tennis (walking tennis with my 12 year old-- can't really play with my weak knees). Went OW swimming with a group on Thursday, one of them happened to be a swim coach and corrected a couple of things on my stroke and breathing. Feels great!
On Wednesday I am off on vacation with the family (driving from Sweden to the South of France) and while I am looking forward to it, I am worried I am going to lose momentum with my training and won't be able to start again on my return.

2017-07-09 10:53 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: How was your week?

Well ... I went for a short ride this morning and started out easy - very easy.  Overall, no lingering pain in the knee or shooting down to the ankle, except for 3-4 sharp bursts.  The sharp bursts though are enough to tell me there's still some inflammation, so more rest, ice, stretching - along with some Ibuprofen.  I'm not promoting or encouraging the use of NSAIDS ... just stating that for me, when I do have a nagging strain or sprain issue, Ibuprofen in small doses helps relieve soreness and inflammation.  Hope all have a good upcoming week!

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-07-09 4:31 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

I'm not exactly racing but I've got a Velocefondo bike ride tomorrow - 126km including 1000m of hill climbing and by 11:00 we're expecting it to heat up.  In the past that meant 111F.

It's just a fun ride and I'm doing it for the beer and burger at the finish line.

Nearly 80 miles with almost 3,300 feet of elevation gain in 111F heat?  You deserve more than a beer and a burger!

Have fun.

Edited by k9car363 2017-07-09 4:54 PM

2017-07-09 4:31 PM
in reply to: Juliecl

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Juliecl Im doing the Highlander (escape the redcoats ) tomorrow in Newtonmore: 39 bike 6 mile trail run 6 mile bike back to finish :-)

Have fun and good luck Julie (I know, you're probably done by now).

2017-07-09 4:35 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by triosaurus George - I wanted to ask you about the Whistler hills, and what gearing you ran on your bike last summer. I am thinking I might take my bike in and have a mtn bike deraiileur installed so I can run a cassette with 11-32, as the 12-27 I have now 'may' be a bit tall for the hills in Whistler...The current road derailleur will accept up to 28. I currently have done a 165 km ride - with 1400 m of climbing. That was ok, but there were one or two short, steep climbs that I wished I had juuuust one more gear cheers kelly

Kelly,

What chain-rings are you running up front?

2017-07-09 4:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weekend is here ...

Originally posted by Dorm57

First of ... Scott thanks for the update on Deb and hope she's doing well post-surgery. 

Another quick update on Deb -

She is doing in-patient physical therapy for the next couple of weeks and overall is in good spirits.  The physical therapists and doctors all agree it will be a couple days before she is dancing again but everyone is immensely optimistic about her long term prognosis.  Small gains at this point are huge victories and Deb says she is simply happy to be back at work, even if the work is a bit different than what she had planned.

2017-07-09 4:45 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weekend is here ...

Originally posted by Dorm57

My week has turned out lousy!  I went to the gym earlier this week for strength and cycle workouts.  I warmed up ~5mins on the spin cycle and proceeded to the weight lifting machines.  My 'leg' workout typically consists of 3 sets of leg extensions, leg curls (hamstrings) and squats.  During my first leg extension lift, I noticed a sharp pain in one knee, but it subsided.  I finished my 'legs' strength workout and had no further issues.

Once I got on the spin cycle, I was done ... the sharp pain was back with every pedal stroke. I was pretty bummed out as I knew I'd strained a muscle or knee joint, and only time/rest/ice, et al heals this stuff.  I going to try a nice easy bike ride this morning, hoping to get in something for the week ... we'll see how it goes.

Hope our group had a good week and weekend.

Ciao ... Dorm

OUCH!  Hope it isn't serious Dorm.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.