BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-07-09 4:52 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: How was your week?

Originally posted by Rollergirl Sorry to hear you are hurt Dorm, hope it's not serious. Had another great week, even better than last week. 2 workouts a day, plus walking the dog (fast and including some light strength and stretch), golf and tennis (walking tennis with my 12 year old-- can't really play with my weak knees). Went OW swimming with a group on Thursday, one of them happened to be a swim coach and corrected a couple of things on my stroke and breathing. Feels great! On Wednesday I am off on vacation with the family (driving from Sweden to the South of France) and while I am looking forward to it, I am worried I am going to lose momentum with my training and won't be able to start again on my return.

When I am on vacation I try and stay active each day and allow some of that activity to "replace" my workout(s).  For example, if I go hiking with the family for a couple of hours, that easily can take the place of a run.  If I'm at the beach all day with the grand-kids, that can be substituted for  the swim I may have missed.  When I am on vacation, I want to enjoy my vacation.  That said, it's pretty easy to get a run in anywhere at almost any time - just go do it.  Don't overthink it.  If you get in 60-90 minutes per day of activity you won't lose much fitness if any at all.  Once you get back to focused training, any lost fitness will quickly come back.

When you get back, simply pick-up where you left off.  Chances are, you will come back refreshed and ready to get back to a normal training schedule.

2017-07-09 6:55 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Be Careful Out There
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by triosaurus George - I wanted to ask you about the Whistler hills, and what gearing you ran on your bike last summer. I am thinking I might take my bike in and have a mtn bike deraiileur installed so I can run a cassette with 11-32, as the 12-27 I have now 'may' be a bit tall for the hills in Whistler...The current road derailleur will accept up to 28. I currently have done a 165 km ride - with 1400 m of climbing. That was ok, but there were one or two short, steep climbs that I wished I had juuuust one more gear cheers kelly

Kelly,

What chain-rings are you running up front?

Scott - I have the std road crankset, of 53-39

I know many folks suggest moving to a compact crankset, but I had (originally) figured that might be an even more expensive update... Thinking about it now, though, it may not be more expensive... Would not need to replace rear derailleur, nor the cassette...could just shorten the existing chain... Hmmm

This is an old 2003-ish Cervelo P3, and I do not know if the Shimano 6500 Ultegra front derailleur will accommodate a compact crank. I am scheduled to go to Whistler on Friday to ride part of the course, so I could wait till after that to see if more gearing is really required
I do have a Masters degree in Procrastination !

cheers

2017-07-10 3:47 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Regular
Deb - good to hear you are progressing

Dorm - hope you're fixed soon.

heavy week just passed for me, 8.5 hours training with a swim focus.
should have been 6 swims but shoulders were heavy yesterday so changed yesterdays swim to a bike (1400ft ascent in 12 miles).

This week is a run focus so will start my focused hill training, planned route is using a friends access road to his wind turbines.
gentle 1.5 mile approach then 400m ascent in 2 miles, should be fun.....

11 weeks to go...

stay safe folks
2017-07-10 8:39 AM

User image

Thanks kelly thats cos it was awful ;-)
2017-07-10 1:40 PM
in reply to: Juliecl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Julie - Ah, got it I hope that you were at least able to take away some 'wisdom' for future use ... We all have those days, and I like to think that , at least afterward, I can learn something from them .

Good luck on the rest of the journey...

kelly
2017-07-11 3:14 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl Sorry to hear you are hurt Dorm, hope it's not serious. Had another great week, even better than last week. 2 workouts a day, plus walking the dog (fast and including some light strength and stretch), golf and tennis (walking tennis with my 12 year old-- can't really play with my weak knees). Went OW swimming with a group on Thursday, one of them happened to be a swim coach and corrected a couple of things on my stroke and breathing. Feels great! On Wednesday I am off on vacation with the family (driving from Sweden to the South of France) and while I am looking forward to it, I am worried I am going to lose momentum with my training and won't be able to start again on my return.

When I am on vacation I try and stay active each day and allow some of that activity to "replace" my workout(s).  For example, if I go hiking with the family for a couple of hours, that easily can take the place of a run.  If I'm at the beach all day with the grand-kids, that can be substituted for  the swim I may have missed.  When I am on vacation, I want to enjoy my vacation.  That said, it's pretty easy to get a run in anywhere at almost any time - just go do it.  Don't overthink it.  If you get in 60-90 minutes per day of activity you won't lose much fitness if any at all.  Once you get back to focused training, any lost fitness will quickly come back.

When you get back, simply pick-up where you left off.  Chances are, you will come back refreshed and ready to get back to a normal training schedule.

Thanks, I will definitely go for a short morning run most days, before it gets too hot. Other than that, I won't fret and enjoy myself with the family.
I just hope that I won't gain weight again. I have lost 8 lbs just by training more the last 4 or 5 weeks. I'll have to be really careful what I eat/drink, which is not my forte usually but on vacation it's like mission impossible. Hopefully the thought of my upcoming race at the end of August should help keep me motivated. I really want to do well.

2017-07-11 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All, I finished my ride on Sunday without any problems but we have been fairly distracted by a whole lot of fires in our province and covering a pretty vast area.  We have some family up north in Quesnel and Horsefly that are in some of the fire zones.  Our nephew is hemmed in by fires and is safe for now but he can't leave because he has animals.  So far he is not in an evac area.

Then our youngest is in an evac "alert" (one step short of an evac order).  She says they are packed and ready to go.  We were planning to help round up and transport animals but the situation is changing hourly and right now we can't get there (there is only one highway north).

Locally we are fine but we have several older people that we look after and they're nervous should anything flare up here.  We're sure we have nothing to worry about but the smoke is pretty thick.

I'll write up a report on the ride as soon as I can.

2017-07-12 12:18 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
George - I hope that everyone in the fire zones is doing well, keeping safe and healthy.
Take care if there is smoke in your area, too.

2017-07-12 12:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
How is everyone doing with their training?
I am getting nervous, excited, and a wee bit scared all at the same time - Less than three weeks till Whistler . Today was a swim with a warm up and three 750m repeats. I do not feel that I am all that much faster given all the pool time, but I certainly feel stronger, which is what matters. So 2850 m, today, yesterday was 1600 in the pool, and today after the swim, I rode a good 50 km in just under 2 hours.

This next couple weeks is gonna fly by

Have a great week.

kelly
2017-07-12 3:52 PM

User image

Regular
Kelly, take care and just get to the start line fit then the day will look after itself

Think I might need some time on the bench
Went for a hilly 13 miles before my swim class on Monday, then got some bad cramps trying to do kick drills.
skipped my run today as I have a sharp jabby pain on the inside of my thigh just above the knee, feels like a pull rather than a tear so will ease off (pity as this week is a run focus)

2017-07-13 12:21 AM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the reply. Yup, getting to the start line in good health is key to a successful day.

Sorry to hear that you have an injury. Hopefully, with our age comes patience

kelly

2017-07-13 12:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I want to share a breakthrough I had this afternoon in the pool. I mentioned yesterday that I have been feeling stronger in the water, but not necessarily faster...
Today I swam several strong 100s (after a warm up of course) , with the first 50 'strong', and then go harder for the second 50. I was so surprised to see that I swam all 4 faster than I have ever done. By faster, I mean I took nearly 10 seconds off the previous best times.

I hesitate to include times, because we are all at varying levels, and I certainly do not want to come across as being boastful. But, I really want to express how a period of consistent pool time with some focus on what you are doing in the water can really help to make one feel comfortable in the water, and that the times will drop I guess it is one of those Eureka moments, when you get something, and want to share that with someone.

So, for anyone struggling in the pool, just follow Dory's lead - .... just keep swimming (with focus and help from a coach or mentor etc...
2017-07-14 10:56 AM

User image

congrats Kelly. It's always great to feel like all the work is actually paying off. 10 second improvement is huge.

I find the same thing in that when I swim "slow" now and am consciously trying to hold back my pace is still faster than when I started 6 months ago.

David
2017-07-15 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Kelly ... nice job!!  It's always great to see progress.  I suspect most in the group here are at the point wherein improvement is 'incremental'.  There's a golf analogy ... it's much easier to go from a 25 to 18 handicap, than drop  from a 2 to 0 hcp.  Even so, it is always great to know one is getting better!!

2 bike rides this week in absolutely sweltering heat along with an early morning Maffetone paced jog.  I don't know how hot it is for the rest of the group, but avg temp for my last ride was 97f and 105f max.  With hi-humidity this makes for a brutal ride.  My point here relates to hydration and keeping enough on me during the ride to stay well hydrated.  So for even a short 15-20 mile ride, I still take 3 bottles of supplemented water ... 2 in the cages and one in a jersey pocket.  As my grandmother always said," I'd rather have it and not need it - than need it and not have it"!

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-07-16 7:05 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by triosaurus

I am scheduled to go to Whistler on Friday to ride part of the course, so I could wait till after that to see if more gearing is really required I do have a Masters degree in Procrastination ! cheers

Kelly,

Were you able to get to Whistler and ride the course?  How'd it go?

2017-07-16 7:15 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Hi All, I finished my ride on Sunday without any problems but we have been fairly distracted by a whole lot of fires in our province and covering a pretty vast area.  We have some family up north in Quesnel and Horsefly that are in some of the fire zones.  Our nephew is hemmed in by fires and is safe for now but he can't leave because he has animals.  So far he is not in an evac area.

Then our youngest is in an evac "alert" (one step short of an evac order).  She says they are packed and ready to go.  We were planning to help round up and transport animals but the situation is changing hourly and right now we can't get there (there is only one highway north).

Locally we are fine but we have several older people that we look after and they're nervous should anything flare up here.  We're sure we have nothing to worry about but the smoke is pretty thick.

I'll write up a report on the ride as soon as I can.

Hey George,

I absolutely understand about the fires.  We deal with fires every summer down here in Southern California.  We've had them where the only impact was smoke from a few ridges away to open flame coming down the hill behind our house.  Several years ago, when the flames were coming down the ridge behind the house, an air tanker dropped a foscheck load about 100 feet from our front door.  I'll never forget that.  The plane was so low I could see the pilot's face.  On that particular day there wasn't time for evacuation.  We went from a very windy, warm uneventful day to flames in the entire valley in a matter of minutes.

Hope everyone stays safe.

2017-07-16 7:20 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I want to share a breakthrough I had this afternoon in the pool. I mentioned yesterday that I have been feeling stronger in the water, but not necessarily faster...

Today I swam several strong 100s (after a warm up of course) , with the first 50 'strong', and then go harder for the second 50. I was so surprised to see that I swam all 4 faster than I have ever done. By faster, I mean I took nearly 10 seconds off the previous best times.

I hesitate to include times, because we are all at varying levels, and I certainly do not want to come across as being boastful. But, I really want to express how a period of consistent pool time with some focus on what you are doing in the water can really help to make one feel comfortable in the water, and that the times will drop I guess it is one of those Eureka moments, when you get something, and want to share that with someone.

So, for anyone struggling in the pool, just follow Dory's lead - .... just keep swimming (with focus and help from a coach or mentor etc...

Kelly,

I always love to hear when someone has had a breakthrough moment in the pool.  I always tell people, put in the yards/meters and the day will come it all comes together.  Instruction helps, but go still gotta put in the time swimming - then one day, it all of a sudden "clicks" and you are suddenly swimming considerably faster.

Glad to hear you had your "ah-uh" moment.

2017-07-16 11:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I am still working hard and have a 70.3 this coming weekend.  I am still fairly distracted with the fires and I am not keen to be racing Sunday.  I am hoping to make the best of it and have a good time.

We hear each year about the fires in California and we usually are not as bad but this year's fires have been worse than usual.  As you say, we find the situation changes almost hourly.  The biggest problem for our daughter is the threat of looters.  They are still in their home and ready to leave but not yet ordered to leave while many people have left and looting has been an increasing problem.  I think I would rather they leave and be safe and not worry about the looters.

Kelly - Great swimming.  I'd love to knock 10 secs off my pace.

Dorm - I've been running in heat lately (95F) but generally I try to avoid the heat of the day so I am out as early as possible for my runs and rides.  Usually 6 or 7am.  Sometimes earlier if the weather is going to be particularly hot.  

2017-07-17 3:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hello from the South of France where I am on vacation. It's hot here (low 90s). I am managing to keep going, go for a (slow) run every morning, have been swimming once, went for a short hike. So in a sense I am doing well but all thoughts about doing an olympic in a year or two which I had before have disappeared. Still want to be in shape for my sprint next month though!
2017-07-19 9:06 AM

User image

Adbru your not in my stroke development class on a Monday are you? :-)
2017-07-19 9:15 AM
in reply to: Juliecl

User image

Well done on your swim breakthrough Kelly.....Im still waiting on that! I have had 7 lessons and attend a stroke development class once per week and also swim one session on my own and it still is not clicking, still struggling to get one length front crawl :-(

2017-07-19 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am scheduled to go to Whistler on Friday to ride part of the course, so I could wait till after that to see if more gearing is really required I do have a Masters degree in Procrastination ! cheers

Kelly,

Were you able to get to Whistler and ride the course?  How'd it go?

Scott,

I did get up to Whistler last Friday with a friend and her hubby. She will be riding the bike part of the 70.3 relay (and has done a couple of full IM races), so the ride was not really long.
I rode the first 50+km of the course, which included about 880 m of climbing. That is a good 1/3 or a bit more of the total ascent of the course, which gave me a good idea of the effort I will need to manage on Race Day
I also got to experience the wind that the area is known for... it's a fave area for kite surfers!

Tri bike is now at the shop getting a new 11-32 cassette ... I decided that the 12-27 would have 'worked' but that would have meant I would have 'worked' too much on some of the climbs, and I really need to get to the run without an empty tank. Also getting new tires -Conti GP 4ks - That ought to really help...giving me free .005 seconds per km These tires are about the most -suggested for a balance of performance and durability, and ought to offer a better ride than the coarse training tires on my rims now.

I bought a HeadSweats visor from the local running store, and will pick up a cheap clip-on visor light from the dollar store, as per my friend's rec, in case it is needed. Sunset is at 9pm on race day, so (secretly, of course) I am hopeful of not needing to put it to use

I still need to decide on clothing for the day- I keep wavering back and forth on simple , 1-piece tri suit all day for simplicity, or change 2x for more comfort.... Deep down I know the simpler, the better, as less to go wrong... Weather dependent , too I suppose...

Sorry to all for the long ramble Getting a bit nervous, and the reduced training of taper has given me time to ...obsess Not really,,, ok, maybe a wee bit !

2017-07-19 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Hello from the South of France where I am on vacation. It's hot here (low 90s). I am managing to keep going, go for a (slow) run every morning, have been swimming once, went for a short hike. So in a sense I am doing well but all thoughts about doing an olympic in a year or two which I had before have disappeared. Still want to be in shape for my sprint next month though!

Rollergirl,

Comment ca va en France? I hope that you are truly enjoying the experience, and not worrying about the training.

2017-07-19 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by adbru

Kelly, take care and just get to the start line fit then the day will look after itself

Think I might need some time on the bench
Went for a hilly 13 miles before my swim class on Monday, then got some bad cramps trying to do kick drills.
skipped my run today as I have a sharp jabby pain on the inside of my thigh just above the knee, feels like a pull rather than a tear so will ease off (pity as this week is a run focus)

Adrian
How is the thigh injury? I hope it was just sore from hard training, and not an injury per se.

2017-07-19 3:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Rollergirl,

Comment ca va en France? I hope that you are truly enjoying the experience, and not worrying about the training.

Ca va bien. Merci for asking. I am having a great time! Not worrying about training but still managing 2 light workouts a day or so, eating well, without overdoing it and even lost another pound since I got here!

Edited by Rollergirl 2017-07-19 3:48 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.