BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-09-11 4:26 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Nathalie - In our area here it is like someone turned off a switch and the weather has changed suddenly.  I might get one more lake swim tomorrow.  The leaves are turning colour and up to this week we've had temps in the 30's for 3 months and now it is quite a bit cooler.  And, as you say the days are getting shorter fast.

September and October are good times to recuperate and give your body a break but it doesn't mean you should do nothing.  It is time to just tone it down a bit.  I'm still swimming 3 times a week and I want to run and bike as well but just not as intensely as I've been doing up to my last race.

On November 5th we have a local 20km "To the Tunnel" run that I am aiming for to keep me somewhat motivated.  

By the way.  Today we are getting together with a group of about 9 athletes and spouses for a picnic to just talk about the season and next year.  We're meeting at a park that we frequent through the summer on our bike rides and some longer runs and some "stories" will be told.

Same here, we did not have a warm Summer anyway but last Monday, we went straight to November weather (grey and wet and cold (still too mild for snow).
That said, yesterday was sunny, so I managed a quick lake swim which left my feet and hands frozen for a while afterwards (booties and gloves are ordered, I am not ready to give it up yet).

I should find some Winter races to enter, that's a great way of staying motivated, thanks for the tip

2017-09-15 1:59 AM
in reply to: #5207873

User image

Regular
Hi folks,
Hope you are all well.
Weather is turning here as well, forecast is for frost this weekend!

I am on taper now for my race next weekend, nerves are setting in.
I find myself repeating the mantra 'just keep moving forward...! '

Stay safe

Adrian
2017-09-15 2:00 PM
in reply to: adbru

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Adrian, hope you get those nerves under control.

Still managing 6 to 8 workouts a week, the fall mood has not got to me yet. Received my booties and gloves, looking forward to a OW swim this weekend.
Good luck to everybody racing at the weekend!

2017-09-19 12:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Just checking in...I was out of town the last week of July so the first week of August I started my 7 week count down to at 70.3 Race that I will be doing next month.  I was should be more worried about the short time I have to build up volume from the shorter distance training I was doing earlier in the year but I remembers an article written by Ryan Hall about his 7 week marathon training plans where he said that he started with 30 minutes in the morning then added 30 minutes in the afternoon, then slowly build up to an hour every morning and an hour every afternoon over his 7 week preparation period.    

I also looked back at some of my totals for the year and was surprised to see that I already have done more swimming in 7 months in 2017 than I did the full year in 2016.  I was feeling under prepared in the water, especially after having major leg cramps on the swim in my last three races (always in races, but never in practices), but seeing what I have done this year has given me a new confidence.   I am going to be working on consistency over the next few weeks.  It is crunch time.   

I had a pretty good race on Saturday.  The swim was cut short because the wind made it impossible for some of the large turn buoys to stay anchored. so, the 2112 yd swim was cut down to about a 1600 yd swim.  Lots of people complained after the race about how hard the swim was but I was swimming straighter lines that I ever have before and my swim pace was just as fast (err...slow) as it is in clam water.  I really focused on hydration and electrolytes before the race and made it through my first race without getting leg cramps on the swim. My goal was to survive the swim.  I greatly exceeded that goal. 

The out bound leg of the bike course was insanely fast.   It was down hill with a 15 MPH wind at our back for the out bound portion and then uphill into the wind coming back.  My "A" race this year was an Olympic distance race early int he summer.  I did the 25 mile bike ride in 67 minutes at that race.  I came across the 25 mile mark on the out bound of this race at 61 minutes (all while at a lower perceived effort).  Most people were about 6 mph slower coming in bound than they were outbound. I passed the leaders coming back 6 minutes before I got to the turn around so that were about 12 minutes ahead of me.  I was riding #16 at the bike turn around. But with the wave start it is hard to know how many people were ahead of me on time.  I got a flat tire at mile 31.    I am not sure how many people passed me while I was changing tires but It took me about 8 minutes to get back up and riding.  My goal was to go under 3 hours on the bike and even with the flat time beat that by more than 10 minutes. 

My goal on the run was to go under 2 hours.  It was a hot afternoon and I got the sunburns to prove it but again beat my goal by more than 10 minutes.  I took extended stops at every aid station the 2nd half of the run and used the port-a-potty once.  I figured it didn't make any scene to push it on the 2nd half of the run because after mile five I gave up on trying to hit any type of pre-determined pace and just focused on doing what I had to do to not walk on the run.  

The winning time in my age group was 4 minutes ahead of me.  I was 2nd place in the AG. This was a pretty good race for me despite treating it as a "B" race and not worried about speed in transition, how long I stayed at each aid stations, if I could push the pace any faster, etc.                                                           .   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-09-19 1:01 PM
2017-09-19 1:12 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Regular
Good Effort !

My 70.3 will be tough this weekend.

I am aiming for sub 9 hours, I know this sounds crazy long for a 70.3 but aiming to be out of the water and on the bike in under an hour (I'm a slow swimmer!) - aiming for 3:45 on the bike (I'm a slow cyclist! - can we see a theme here?? ).

The aim for the run is sub-4 hours, If I can get to the summit in 2:30 i'll be happy - the 1:30 back down for a sub 9 hour race.

The forecast is not great, water temp has dropped this week, it was around 11'c on sunday (brrrrr).
Also possible high winds, if this also has rain/clouds then this could cause the run the be cut short - it might also mean the swim is cancelled if the sea is too rough :-(

2017-09-19 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Congratulations Curtis.  Sounds like you were quite comfortable with the rough water and had a good swim.  Thats a good plus.  Your whole race sounded like you were relaxed and just enjoying yourself while actually having a great race.  I'm very envious.

2017-09-19 5:07 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Congratulations Curtis.  Sounds like you were quite comfortable with the rough water and had a good swim.  Thats a good plus.  Your whole race sounded like you were relaxed and just enjoying yourself while actually having a great race.  I'm very envious.

The swim was nothing short of a miracle.  It was a bit over cast making it hard to see the turn buoys so I decided to just follow the crowd and even though there were people 50 feet to my right and 50 feet to my left I ended up hitting two of the three turns right on the money and the 3rd turn I was still in pretty good position going about 10-15 feet wide of the buoy.  My last race I was correct every time I sighted and still going 50 feet or more wide at every turn. We...I was comfortable in the water.  When your face is down it real doesn't matter if you have waves or wind.  When my face came up I could feel the waves and wind but my face was down most of the time so it really didn't matter.  :-)

My problem with races is that I usually push too hard and die 80% into the race.  Taking a little bit off and just focusing on keeping moving didn't hurt much.  First place was 4 minutes ahead of my and 3rd place was 16 minutes behind me so so spending an extra 30 second at an aid station here or taking extra time to adjust equipment in transition there were really not factors.  What mattered is what people were doing between aid stations and transition not how long they were taking to get through them.  I know Scott doesn't like us clouding this group with detail on how many people were in out AG, but at the race I originally look up my results and only 9 came up in my AG.  The next day when I went back there were 29 (I guess they were all entered yet when I checked at the race).  I was pretty excited to see that large of an Age Group. The only thing I was muffed about is that two ladies (their wave stated behind me) got time that were about 5 minutes faster than me.  On the run course I was pretty sure that I had them all beat but forgot about the wave start times. :-)

2017-09-23 2:19 PM
in reply to: #5207873

User image

Regular
Well done curtis :-)

My event is finished today.
Full report soon.

Highlights are good swim, overcooked the bike which meant i suffered on the run to the point that i cut the run short.

Still took just under 9 hours
2017-09-23 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Curtis
Congrats! It sounds like it went very well - great to hear that you had no cramping on the swim, too.

Adrian - Congrats! Looking forward to reading about your day. Rest up!

I have been pretty busy with work, and like George, suffering with 'inertia' I started off my training yesterday with a 25-min 'run' of 4min run and 1-min walking, and was thrilled to be completely pain-free.

Have a great weekend everyone..

kelly
2017-09-25 4:03 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Regular
Right guys,

report time, its a bit long (sorry). legs are still a bit sore but not too bad

Ben Nevis Braveheart Triathlon 70.3
23rd September 2017
Fort William, Scotland

Back in November I decided to set myself a new challenge after having not done any training in 7 years, the challenge was the Ben Nevis Tri.
This is 70.3 with a twist, the swim is in Loch Linnhe – a sea loch ?
The bike is an out and back on roads that are not closed to normal traffic (more on that later…)
Then the half marathon is a ‘little lumpy’ – from sea level up Britain’s highest mountain (4404ft) and back to sea level.
I knew this would be hard, but if it was easy then everyone would do it !
I completed a 66 mile cycle sportive in April so I was happy that I could maintain bike fitness and concentrate on improving swim and run fitness.
Training stats for 2017:
swim: 22 miles
bike: 1300 miles
run: 161 miles
Registration and safety brief – Friday night
Very laid back affair, approx 150 entries. We were warned that the weather forecast was worsening with up to 60 mph winds on the summit. If the wind was that strong the run would be cut to the halfway point on safety grounds.
Ben Nevis demands respect however there can be up to 5000 people a day on its slopes. The mountain rescue are frequently called out to evac people in flip-flops and t-shirts that underestimated the conditions.
Saturday dawned clear with flat calm conditions and water temp around 11’c.
The swim was good and I met some/all of my goals, it was 2 laps and I did not get lapped, I managed front crawl for the whole swim, I also managed to get out of the water without ‘tequila legs’ !
T1 was slow as my hands wouldn’t work due to the water temp (15mins – average for T1 was around 8mins).
Bike: my goal was to maintain min 15mph for a 3:45 time.
First 9 miles were on a very busy/horrible/dangerous main road, traffic was fairly light on way out so no real drama apart from a head wind. The next 19 miles were still on a main road which was quieter but a net uphill for most of the way. I was really struggling to even maintain an average 12mph.
The mind games started and I was heading into a dark place due to my lack of speed.
it took 2:15 to the turn, on the way back I started to pick up speed as it was now a net downhill.
I gained more speed and then got greedy, took a bigger gear and pushed harder and harder.
I did a negative spilt and took 35 mins off the return section, by the time I got into T2 I knew my leg were toast.
Also the nasty 9 mile section on the way back was much busier and I had at least 4 close calls with buses and cars.
Into T2 for more fluids and fuel, pretend to myself that my legs could do the run and set off.
Within 500 yards I started walking on the flat- not a good sign.
I left T2 at 1:30pm, there was a cut-off at 3:30 to reach the halfway point, if you miss the cut-off then you are not allowed to continue to the summit.
I wanted to be inside that cut-off !!
I was travelling much slower that intended, in training I had made halfway in 1:30 but I knew it would be close. There was a 2 mile flatish run to the foot of the hill then the climb starts.
It soon becomes fairly relentless as you climb up uneven ‘steps’ made from boulders placed to create a path and protect the hill-side.
Carry on climbing and the wind started to build. Stop for fluids and to put a jacket on.
Time running out….
I got to the cut-off with 5 mins to spare!
However the wind was now really strong and I knew it was more exposed the higher you go.
I would have been looking at coming down the hill as it was getting dark if I kept going and also I knew I was running out of energy. I did not want to be a statistic for the mountain rescue!
So I decided to call it quits at halfway and head down.
It still took me 1:30 to get back to the finish so I’m happy with my decision.
The hill will still be there tomorrow.
However for anyone that has the hill legs it is a fantastic challenge (apart from the first/last 9 miles of the bike!)
Never say never ……
2017-09-26 1:44 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for the report, sorry you had to cut the "run" (climb!) but you did the right thing.

"water temp around 11’c" that's Mighty Cold!

2017-09-26 11:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Great read Adrian.  You handled the swim well and ultimately it is the decisions you make during the day that matter the most.  You made good decisions all the way.  You should find some good positive points about your performance and it should set you up for a better event next time.

Our local lake isn't as cold as your loch.  I measured the water temp as 15deg C on Friday and that was quite cold enough.  I don't think I want to swim in water any colder than that.  Although, when I walked into the lake to measure the temp there was an older woman swimming in the lake without a wetsuit and she says she wants to swim in the lake until the end of October (that could be as cold as 4deg C).

This week we're experiencing an Indian summer (a nice little blast of warm weather) so I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can before the cold hits.

I had a good run this afternoon and I am registered to run a half marathon on Oct 7th - just for fun.

2017-10-01 6:14 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks for the thought Nat/George,

The water didn't feel as cold as I expected, although it was 'challenging' trying to put socks on when my fingers wouldn't work due to the cold :-)

One week on and I have done nothing at all fitness wise !

Looking to next year it will just be a 'fun' year as my wife wants her man back !
She feels we lost this summer as everything revolved around my training.

There is a charity cycle that I may get talked into, it called 'Butt to Barra' and travels down through the outer herbrides.
Starting at the top north corner of Lewis (the Butt of Lewis lighthouse) and finishing on the island of Barra.

Around 160 miles over three days, lots of wind and one big climb guaranteed.

Stay safe folks :-)
2017-10-02 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by adbru Looking to next year it will just be a 'fun' year as my wife wants her man back ! She feels we lost this summer as everything revolved around my training.

Next year will be the same for me (my husband wants his wife back ).  I will be doing one short course race in May - it's the one that was cancelled this year due to flooding so my registration transferred to 2018.  Next year will be about volunteering.  I enjoy the races so volunteering will keep me involved without actually competing.  I also feel like I just need a break from tri training especially after my HIM in September that I DNF'd.  I need to re-group a little before I try another long course race.  I do want to do another 70.3 but not until at least 2019.  

For the next couple of months it's going to be trail running, some classes at the gym that I've been wanting to try out and just doing what I want (which I have to admit is harder than I expected - I'm so used to having a "plan" that I almost feel a little lost without one).  After the first of the year I'll work my way back into a more defined, goal-oriented plan.  

Janet

2017-10-03 12:41 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Regular
Janet - we can be the Sept DNF crew

The organisers of my HIM have put up some video/photo's (only on facebook link.....sorry to non-FB folks)

https://www.facebook.com/nofussevents/videos/10155244501023051/

photos at
https://www.facebook.com/BenNevisTriathlon/photos

I'm not in any of them lol
It does make to swim look nice!

Adrian
2017-10-10 12:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All,

I ran a half marathon yesterday.  It was my first run race and it turned out not too bad.  I'd certainly like to run faster but more importantly I had a good time and ran the whole distance.

Race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=548879&posts=1&page=1

Adrian - I had a look at the photos for your race.  They were neat to see and you can see the anticipation.  I found the swim pics most interesting.  I'm not sure I'd want to try running up your "hill" it looked pretty narrow at times.  I don't think I'd like to come down the hill in the dark either.

2017-10-10 12:40 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Well done George. Sounds like you enjoyed it!
2017-10-11 1:12 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Nice one George,

You hit your target and enjoyed the race, doesn't get much better than that
2017-10-19 10:21 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I did a 5K race last weekend.  I do them 2-3 times a year to keep in contact with the running community and to give me same milestone in my training.  I live is a town of 18,000 people and you have to drive almost and hour north to find a town larger than that us another hour past that to get to any large cities.  Fewer people means living in an area means few people at races and with that less competition to the point that I have set some course records and take first place over all in nearly every race I go to.  Two and half weeks ago my wife say a flier for an inaugural 5K in town an my wife said we should do it.  I wanted to do a 5K because my fastest 5K's always are 2-3 weeks after my 70.3 triathlons because I take a ton of recovery that leaves me in prime condition to burn through a 5K.    I though I might get some competition at this race though because they were giving out $700 in price money to the over-all winners.  When ever their is a few hundred dollars on the line there seems to be someone that can run 5k's in the low 15's that shows up.  There were about 3 times as many people as any another 5K that I have run in town, but I ran faster than any other 5K that I have done in town and was the over-all finisher.  Not bad for a guy who is getting grey hair.  I donated my $200 back to the charity that the race was organized to raise money for. 

2017-11-01 5:53 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Been Awhile - But with Good Reason!

Hi all!

It's been awhile since I last posted.  The forum always seems to slow down towards the end of the season and I probably didn't help that very much by my absence.  I had a good reason though!  We have put the final touches on my new coaching company.  To that end, I'd like to invite all of you to take a look at what we are offering - 

As many of you know, I enjoyed a reasonably successful competitive swimming career back in my younger days. When I retired from competitive swimming I began working with triathletes to help improve their generally poor swimming. Over the years, that morphed into full triathlon coaching on a part-time basis. For years I have put my passion for triathlon and coaching on the back burner as I pursued a job that put food on the table.

The time has come to follow my true desire – helping athletes to achieve their dreams – on a full-time basis.

The business model and personal attention I have in mind requires more than one person, so I have partnered with one of my long-time athletes to form a new company, BSC Multisport. You can learn the whole story of BSC Multisport on our website but suffice to say my partner made several disparaging remarks after particularly challenging workouts from which BSC Multisport was born.

Beginner Triathlete has been an endless source of inspiration for me over the years and I would like to make a small attempt at giving back all that this site has given me over the years. We are offering a coaching scholarship to five athletes through the end of the 2018 season. This will include full coaching, free of charge to you during the scholarship period, and is open to any athlete in any country around the globe. We are looking for a mix of athletes of all experience and skill levels. Are you thinking about stepping up to the 140.6 distance or maybe you attempted to qualify for Kona and fell short? We need to talk! For complete details you can visit the “Scholarship” tab of our website.

If you are interested and would like to be considered, please send me a private message or visit the “Scholarship” tab of our website.

We will be making final decisions on "Team BSC" around the middle of November.

2017-11-01 6:13 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Been Awhile - But with Good Reason!
Hi Scott

Congratulations on your new "baby"!

I don't think I qualify for your generous offer as I am only looking to get fast at sprints in 2018 and try an Olympic distance in 2019 but I think it's very generous of you.

I wish you great succes with your Company!

2017-11-02 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by k9car363

Hi all!

It's been awhile since I last posted.  The forum always seems to slow down towards the end of the season and I probably didn't help that very much by my absence.  I had a good reason though!  We have put the final touches on my new coaching company.  To that end, I'd like to invite all of you to take a look at what we are offering - 

As many of you know, I enjoyed a reasonably successful competitive swimming career back in my younger days. When I retired from competitive swimming I began working with triathletes to help improve their generally poor swimming. Over the years, that morphed into full triathlon coaching on a part-time basis. For years I have put my passion for triathlon and coaching on the back burner as I pursued a job that put food on the table.

The time has come to follow my true desire – helping athletes to achieve their dreams – on a full-time basis.

The business model and personal attention I have in mind requires more than one person, so I have partnered with one of my long-time athletes to form a new company, BSC Multisport. You can learn the whole story of BSC Multisport on our website but suffice to say my partner made several disparaging remarks after particularly challenging workouts from which BSC Multisport was born.

Beginner Triathlete has been an endless source of inspiration for me over the years and I would like to make a small attempt at giving back all that this site has given me over the years. We are offering a coaching scholarship to five athletes through the end of the 2018 season. This will include full coaching, free of charge to you during the scholarship period, and is open to any athlete in any country around the globe. We are looking for a mix of athletes of all experience and skill levels. Are you thinking about stepping up to the 140.6 distance or maybe you attempted to qualify for Kona and fell short? We need to talk! For complete details you can visit the “Scholarship” tab of our website.

If you are interested and would like to be considered, please send me a private message or visit the “Scholarship” tab of our website.

We will be making final decisions on "Team BSC" around the middle of November.

Scott - 

Congrats on getting the coaching company up and running!  Looks like you also made it back to Indiana.  The scholarship opportunity is great - makes me wish I was actually racing in 2018 instead of taking a volunteering year .  I'm having some hip/knee issues so I need to get those straightened out before I can go back to harder training anyway.  

I do have a question for you though - I checked out your website and was looking at the pre-built plans that you have. When I try to click on the "Browse our Plans" it just reloads the page.  Is it supposed to do that or is there another page that lists the different types of plans that you have?  I've been trying to put together some sort of winter maintenance plan to start up in January and was curious as to what you offer.

Janet

2017-11-02 9:13 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Scott - 

Congrats on getting the coaching company up and running!  Looks like you also made it back to Indiana.  The scholarship opportunity is great - makes me wish I was actually racing in 2018 instead of taking a volunteering year .  I'm having some hip/knee issues so I need to get those straightened out before I can go back to harder training anyway.  

I do have a question for you though - I checked out your website and was looking at the pre-built plans that you have. When I try to click on the "Browse our Plans" it just reloads the page.  Is it supposed to do that or is there another page that lists the different types of plans that you have?  I've been trying to put together some sort of winter maintenance plan to start up in January and was curious as to what you offer.

Janet

Hi Janet!  Good to "see" you.

Health first!  Get the knee hip problems under control before you take up serious training again.

We worked very hard to get the website ready and launched before Kona.  That was kind of our "line in the sand."  Sadly, to do that we had to leave a couple of things unfinished - the pre-built plans being one of them.  If you check back after the new year we expect to have plans in place.  We will be starting with winter maintenance and focused cycling, run, and swim blocks.  We will have HIM and IM plans up as we approach spring.

2017-11-03 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by k9car363

Hi Janet!  Good to "see" you.

Health first!  Get the knee hip problems under control before you take up serious training again.

We worked very hard to get the website ready and launched before Kona.  That was kind of our "line in the sand."  Sadly, to do that we had to leave a couple of things unfinished - the pre-built plans being one of them.  If you check back after the new year we expect to have plans in place.  We will be starting with winter maintenance and focused cycling, run, and swim blocks.  We will have HIM and IM plans up as we approach spring.

Thanks Scott.  I'll check back in January when I can hopefully get back into training mode.  Unfortunately the 25k trail race I did in October caused some serious issues with my left leg - couldn't hardly walk by the time I finished it. I'm seeing my doctor a couple times a week right now to help get me back on track.  I'm limited right now to just 2 short runs a week (2-4 miles on flat surfaces only), and they're more "testing" runs than actual training runs.  I'm hoping he'll let me get back to easy trainer rides and swims maybe next week - I'm going a little stir crazy not being able to do anything!

Have a great weekend!
Janet 

2017-11-15 11:32 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

Sounds like you were quite comfortable with the rough water and had a good swim
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.