BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-01-15 5:47 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Do you have a plan?

Originally posted by wenceslasz

I typed out my typical training week just to see how it looked.  It seems a bit tame compared to Scott's schedule but it seems to work well for me.  Most of my workouts are with groups which seems to help me push myself about 10% harder than I would on my own.  My Monday swim and Wednesday long run are on my own.  I didn't include my "coffee" groups which are typically Mon./ Wed./ Fri./ Sat

George,

This truly isn't a comparison.  Believe me when I say that there are others here on BT whose schedule's would make mine look like I am sitting on the couch.  As you said, it works well for you.  The important thing is that you have a plan and you stick to it - eliminating inconsistency which will ruin any training plan.

2017-01-15 5:54 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Here's an updated gray guys/gals list.

(group members.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
group members.jpg (34KB - 6 downloads)
2017-01-15 8:35 PM

User image

nothing too formal at the moment just putting in time - more work concentrating in the pool. ( in the past i only swam once a week)

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
run run run bike run longer run/ride rest
swim swim swim
maybe bike to swim weights bike to swim weights bike to swim weights

I can tell my bike is way down but plan to up that more as the weather warms up.

David
2017-01-15 11:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

With the icy conditions here lately, the 10km trail race I was to run this morning has been postponed until later
Anyway, I got some time on both the treddy and the trainer on both days this weekend. Sat was 30 min easy on TM followed up with 45 min on trainer with some med-effort short intervals
Today was 45+ min on TM, then an hour on the trainer. I did this while watching the Vancouver Canucks play ... At least one of us won today

Last year, I did some of the BT winter cycling plan, and did the ftp, or critical power, test. I have an old Cateye trainer that has a built-in power meter, tho it is likely just a simple computer that calcs wheel-speed and then gives a power reading based on the published power curve, Doubt it is very accurate. Today, I was able to ride at 85% of that power level from last year. I realize I need to do the ftp test again to establish training zones. Not thrilled about doing that

Have a great week everybody !

2017-01-16 4:24 AM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group -- OPEN
Thanks Scott. My plan last year was to try a full IM this year or next. But in all my years of running I'd never run a marathon. So I figured I should try that first before taking on a full tri. So in October I ran my first marathon or I should say ran/walked. At mile 14 my knee started to give me trouble and ended up walking most of the last 12 miles. So after that I figured a full tri was not in my future. But we'll see how things go this year, if my knee holds out who knows!

So back to an earlier topic. I've never been a lap swimmer before last year so I never learned to flip. Is there an easy way to learn to do this?
2017-01-16 8:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is what my year looked like last year. I did 2 HIM and a full. You can see the buildup to the full in September.
It shows the distribution of my time across the 3 sports. For the swim that is actually the time swimming without rests etc. So it may be say 45min in a 1hr masters sessions between getting instruction from the coach, pauses between intervals.....

The 2nd picture shows my theoritical "fitness" (the blue line) as I progressed through the year

Edited by marcag 2017-01-16 8:15 AM

(Screenshot 2017-01-16 09.07.28.png)

(Screenshot 2017-01-16 09.13.08.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2017-01-16 09.07.28.png (201KB - 2 downloads)
Screenshot 2017-01-16 09.13.08.png (155KB - 1 downloads)

2017-01-16 6:01 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Missouri

Well last week was a total bust training-wise.  I completely fell off the wagon.  I could blame it on the weather (ice storm) or not feeling 100% (why do people have to come to work when they're sick - it just gets everyone else sick) or any number of other things, but the plain truth is just that I was lazy.  I could have done the swims earlier in the week when weather wasn't an issue and I have both a trainer and treadmill in the basement so no travel needed there.  But Scott is right - this is the time of year when I struggle with consistency.  I have a plan, I just need to make myself follow it.  

So - new week and I'm off to a good start so far.  I had the day off work so I went out for a 4.2 mile run this morning before the rain got too heavy.  It sprinkled a bit while I was out, but nothing hard and since the temps where in the lower 40's it really wasn't too bad.  I'm hoping to re-do my FTP test on the bike tomorrow night.  I did manage to get in a trainer ride over the weekend and even though I was hitting my power numbers, it still felt kind of easy (and Sufferfest videos are not supposed to be easy).  So I think it's time to re-check my numbers.  

Welcome to the new people and I hope everyone has a great week!
Janet

2017-01-16 7:59 PM
in reply to: #5207873

Went to Masters swimming for a little over an hour, swam about 50 minutes. Second time I had to stop for foot cramp. Last time I tried to swim through it and then the cramp seemed to move to my inner thigh. Tried drinking more water and eating a banana but still had cramp in bottom of my foot. Starts after about 45 minutes. Does anyone have any suggestions?
2017-01-16 11:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Today was a pretty good weights session but the real fun was my swim.  I wouldn't expect I'd be so driven when I'm swimming on my own but I did do a pretty decent job.  My main set after warm-up were 30# 50m on one half my TP (2:15/ 100m) plus 5 to 10 secs.  I was able to maintain a pretty consistent pace over all the intervals.  I averaged 1:04.3/ 50m ( in a range of 1:02 to 1:07) and rest of :16.7 on average.  I sure was wiped out by the time I finished but a really good feeling.  I even managed a lane to myself for the main set and just had to finish my cool down with a fast fellow.

The only annoying thing was I lost count of my intervals and only finished 29#.  It would have been so easy to finish that one more interval.  

2017-01-17 1:03 AM
in reply to: AkronChet

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am prolly the last person to be commenting on swim questions, but in my (very limited) experience the foot cramps have little to do with hydration , potassium, or whether it is a full moon

In my case, I do crappy open turns, turning to my left, which puts my right foot above my left when I turn and push off. This means , for me, my right foot and leg do more of the work in the turn and push-off.... Wanna guess which foot cramps? I strongly believe it is just a muscular fatigue that leads to the cramping in my foot. Also trying to keep my feet pointed, which , in my case, seems to use the muscles in the arch of the foot... leading to ... foot arch cramps.
If/when I can, I stop, stretch the foot, pulling up on the toes to stretch the arch, and rub the arch length wise. I will also try stretching the calf muscles, pressing my heels down while holding onto the poolside.

I hope this has made sense, and is of use.

2017-01-17 1:05 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Extreme Veteran

Janet
Good luck on your FTP test

2017-01-17 1:08 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by marcag

This is what my year looked like last year. I did 2 HIM and a full. You can see the buildup to the full in September.
It shows the distribution of my time across the 3 sports. For the swim that is actually the time swimming without rests etc. So it may be say 45min in a 1hr masters sessions between getting instruction from the coach, pauses between intervals.....

The 2nd picture shows my theoritical "fitness" (the blue line) as I progressed through the year

Marc

Sorry if you already posted this info ( I AM in the Greying group - Did you follow a plan for your IM build? If so, which one?

2017-01-17 5:35 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by triosaurus

Originally posted by marcag

Marc

Sorry if you already posted this info ( I AM in the Greying group - Did you follow a plan for your IM build? If so, which one?

I was following my own plan.
I basically know the load I want to do on a per week basis and the critical sessions I want to get in. I manage the timing of the sessions mostly by the weather.

Having done two HIMs just previously allowed me to mostly focus on getting the critical volumes in without hurting myself
2017-01-17 7:23 AM

I am prolly the last person to be commenting on swim questions, but in my (very limited) experience the foot cramps have little to do with hydration , potassium, or whether it is a full moon

In my case, I do crappy open turns, turning to my left, which puts my right foot above my left when I turn and push off. This means , for me, my right foot and leg do more of the work in the turn and push-off.... Wanna guess which foot cramps? I strongly believe it is just a muscular fatigue that leads to the cramping in my foot. Also trying to keep my feet pointed, which , in my case, seems to use the muscles in the arch of the foot... leading to ... foot arch cramps.
If/when I can, I stop, stretch the foot, pulling up on the toes to stretch the arch, and rub the arch length wise. I will also try stretching the calf muscles, pressing my heels down while holding onto the poolside.

I hope this has made sense, and is of use.

Thank you I will try doing that.
2017-01-18 6:17 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Last year, I did some of the BT winter cycling plan, and did the ftp, or critical power, test. I have an old Cateye trainer that has a built-in power meter, tho it is likely just a simple computer that calcs wheel-speed and then gives a power reading based on the published power curve, Doubt it is very accurate. Today, I was able to ride at 85% of that power level from last year. I realize I need to do the ftp test again to establish training zones. Not thrilled about doing that Have a great week everybody !

Hey Kelly,

In a very real sense, since you obviously won't be able to use that "power" figure outdoors, it doesn't matter if it is showing accurate watts or not.  Indeed it doesn't matter if it's showing "power" as apples.  What's important is that if you do 'X' work it shows you did 'X' work and then every time you do 'X' work it shows 'X.'  Then, when you do 'X+1' work you will know you have improved. (Hope that all makes sense!)

In a perfect world, we'd all be riding hugely expensive bikes with the latest and greatest power meter.  In the real world, we make do with whatever we have.

Have fun with another FTP test.  When you are regularly training, FTP tests should be repeated at least every 6-8 weeks - sooner if there's an obvious increase/decrease in power.

2017-01-18 7:03 AM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by CL001

So back to an earlier topic. I've never been a lap swimmer before last year so I never learned to flip. Is there an easy way to learn to do this?

A couple initial thoughts on flip turns -

1. At first, I'd limit doing flip turns to warm-up and cool-down until you become somewhat proficient so that you don't take away from your workout.  Warm-up, work on your flip turns, do your workout, work on your flip turns, cool down.  Once you are proficient, use flip turns in your warm up and cool down and finally use the flip turns in your workout.
  2. When you first start doing flip turns, do them in the middle of the pool so you can learn the technique without having to worry about your feet meeting the pool deck in an uncomfortable way.
  3. Remember that a flip turn is "blind."  As you approach the wall your head should be down in a streamline position, NOT looking forward; as you push off the wall, your head should be down in a streamline position, NOT looking forward.
  4. That big "T" is on the bottom of the pool for a reason - USE IT!

Instead of "re-inventing the wheel" I'm going to share a link that walks through doing a flip turn.  This is probably the best tutorial I know of and if you follow it, you will learn to properly flip turn fairly quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDQmM4lkm8c

One last thought.  While learning to flip turn is fairly easy and straight-forward, it is a somewhat intimidating movement because you are going to be upside down for a brief moment underwater.  Remember to continuously blow out through you nose to prevent water in your sinuses.  Don't give up after you've only attempted a couple of turns.  Perseverance will have you flip-turning well in short order.  Again, I strongly suggest you begin in the middle of the pool.  Once you are comfortable with the movement in the middle of the pool, then begin to turn at the wall.  YEP, you are going to bang your feet onto the wall a time or two.  It's a rite of passage!  Believe me when I say it will only take once or twice and you'll learn where to begin your turn.  As I said before, that big 'T; is on the bottom of the pool for a reason.  The big target on the wall is there for a reason.  Use them to gauge where to begin your turn.

Good luck.  Keep with it and in a couple weeks you'll be impressing everyone with your flip turn!

2017-01-18 7:32 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

I'm hoping to re-do my FTP test on the bike tomorrow night.  I did manage to get in a trainer ride over the weekend and even though I was hitting my power numbers, it still felt kind of easy (and Sufferfest videos are not supposed to be easy).  So I think it's time to re-check my numbers.  

Janet,

You're right!  Sufferfest videos generally aren't supposed to feel easy - unless there's a puppy dog or something similar on the screen!

A general rule of thumb during training is you should be re-testing your FTP every 6-8 weeks or if there is a perceived significant change in FTP.

It doesn't get easier - you just get stronger and faster!

2017-01-18 7:36 AM
in reply to: AkronChet

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by AkronChet Went to Masters swimming for a little over an hour, swam about 50 minutes. Second time I had to stop for foot cramp. Last time I tried to swim through it and then the cramp seemed to move to my inner thigh. Tried drinking more water and eating a banana but still had cramp in bottom of my foot. Starts after about 45 minutes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey Chet,

Cramps suck!

There are any number of causes from dehydration to nutrition, fitness level, maybe the way you're pushing off the wall, overuse, the list is long.

The best I can do is when you get a cramp, gently stretch the muscle that is cramping to relive the cramping.

2017-01-18 7:41 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

The only annoying thing was I lost count of my intervals and only finished 29#.  It would have been so easy to finish that one more interval.  

George,

Here's a little trick to keep track of reps.

When you're ready to start your workout, crab the discs on the lane line and gently pull them back away from the wall.  You can easily get them 12-18" back.  Then, as you do each rep, slide one disc down to the wall.  When you slide that disc down, "clean up" the discs so it is clear how many reps you've done.  When you're doing long reps, the discs may start to drift back together but keeping them "cleaned-up" after every rep will allow you to keep track.  When you're doing a big set like you - day 50 x 50.  Count up 25 and then back down 25.

No worries about damaging the lane line, those discs are free floating on the wire so you won't hurt anything.

2017-01-18 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Janet ... me too, as to falling of the wagon!  I'm leaving tomorrow for a 2 week+ ski trip to Montana; had a ton of things to get done prior to leaving and so lost out on training.  I don't know how or if skiing contributes to our 3 sports, but it surely contributes to overall fitness.  I've taken gear in the past to try and work in some training, but after 5hrs a day of furious downhill skiing, the only thing I want to see at the end of the day is a TALL Gin & Tonic; a hot-tub; dinner and a bed!  Given my training schedule, I know where to pick back up when I return. 

Good luck to all doing the FTP tests ... saddle up, go like your hair's on fire the last 5 minutes - and leave absolutely nothing in the tank!

I averaged 1:04.3/ 50m ( in a range of 1:02 to 1:07) and rest of :16.7 on average.  I sure was wiped out by the time I finished but a really good feeling. 

Nice job George ... and I'd love to have that avg!

Edited by Dorm57 2017-01-18 9:59 AM
2017-01-18 11:44 AM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Expert
Missouri

FTP test done.  I checked my logs and it looks like it did the original test on 11/10 so just about 10 weeks ago - "Rubber Glove" Sufferfest video both times.  I did OK during the first half (aka the warm-up part) but the 20 minute test part just about did me in.  I really thought I was going to lose my dinner during the last 2-3 minutes.  But that means I did it correctly, right ?  Pretty happy with the results.  I'm not really sure what a good power number is but mine went up by 17 points, from 152 to 169 - don't laugh at that, I know it's low but I'm just happy that I'm seeing some improvement!    

SRD today - tri club meeting tonight.

Dorm - enjoy your ski trip!

Janet

2017-01-18 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Janet - You should read what Scott told Kelly a few posts back up the page about improvements.  It also applies to you.  Your 17 point improvement means you're 11% better than you were.  I think that is good progress.  Good for you and well done.

Dorm - I agree with Janet - enjoy your ski trip.

Scott - I'll give the disc counting idea a try on my swim on Monday.  I do wear a 920xt that mostly works well but not always so it will be good to have a back up plan.

I had a 1:30 run on the dreadmill today.  I found it harder than usual and at the halfway point my body was screaming to stop or walk but I managed to keep going for the whole run.  I never listen to music when I run outdoors but I can't run on the treadmill without music to help the time pass more quickly.  I did consider running outside today but I stopped on my way home this morning and had a look at a trail I frequently run on and it was definitely too icy to take a chance running on.

2017-01-19 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I really thought I was going to lose my dinner ... that means I did it correctly, right ?  Pretty happy with the results.  I'm not really sure what a good power number is but mine went up by 17 points, from 152 to 169 - don't laugh at that, I know it's low but I'm just happy that I'm seeing some improvement!    

Janet ... that is awesome, and yes sounds like you drained the tank! When you feel like you're about to either pass out or puke with 2 minutes to go - you know you've given it your all!  And your gain ... well >10% is simply fantastic. 

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-01-19 8:20 AM

User image

George, you can also create a swim workout and send it to the 920.

This is how I keep track when I am doing multiple repeats. You can set it up to swim like 10 100s on 2:00 minutes. Then when you finish the 100 it will add to the interval count and start the countdown for the next repeat. Makes the counting much easier.
At my pool when I push the lane blocks there is a lot of tension and it immediately pushed back. I just need to remember to setup my workout before heading to the swim.

David
2017-01-19 7:23 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

FTP test done . . . I really thought I was going to lose my dinner during the last 2-3 minutes.  But that means I did it correctly, right ?  Pretty happy with the results.  I'm not really sure what a good power number is but mine went up by 17 points, from 152 to 169 - don't laugh at that, I know it's low but I'm just happy that I'm seeing some improvement!    

SRD today - tri club meeting tonight.

Dorm - enjoy your ski trip!

Janet

Janet,

Yep!  That means you did it about right.  I always joke that anyone doing an FTP test on a trainer should have a couch right beside the bike - then all you have to do is unclip and roll off for a soft landing on the couch!

Your increase was nearly 11% - in ten weeks.  Given a pretty strong rate of increase is 10-15% per year, I'd say you're doing well!

Edited by k9car363 2017-01-19 7:24 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.