BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-01-31 11:34 PM
in reply to: noldowney

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: The Mental Side
Hey everyone

I hope you have all had a great weekend, and this week has gotten off to a good start.
Did anyone race on the weekend?
I have been pretty consistent with workouts over the past week or two - no problem falling asleep

2017-02-01 8:30 AM
in reply to: AkronChet

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Do you have a plan?

Originally posted by AkronChet Has anyone used Bike Rollers? I tried to follow my upcoming plan and realized I need to do more things in the morning. I have to get my kids ready and won't have time for the gym but if I could get a ride/run in mornings that would help me. I still want to get shoes/pedals so I am thinking a roller might be less expensive than a trainer.

Chet - Just wanted to give my 2cents here (if that's OK ).  I haven't used rollers but I do have a trainer.  It's a fluid trainer but it's very basic.  I got it from Nashbar.  Check out their website - they usually have some pretty good deals on trainers (I think I paid $130.00 for mine a couple of years ago).  Like I said, it's very basic - not a smart trainer.  I use it with the Sufferfest app - $10/month and you get access to all their cycling/running/yoga videos and some training plans - and use virtual power, so no need for an expensive power meter.  You will need a speed and/or cadence sensor though to use the virtual power.  I've found that it's a fairly inexpensive way to get in some good training when you're stuck inside.  

Janet

2017-02-01 8:47 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: The Mental Side

Pretty good week for me last week.  I was a little short on the swim based on my plan, but since I'm focusing more on running right now, I'm OK with that.  I still managed to get in 2 good swim workouts.  

Re: The Mental Side.  I struggle with this like most people I think.  Some days I can go out and run 5-6 miles no problem, other days I struggle to finish 3 and I think a lot of it is mental.  When I just don't want to be out there running, it makes it harder.  What helps me sometimes is to not overthink things.  For example - when my alarm goes off at 5:15, if I just get up and get ready and head to the pool, I usually have a pretty good swim.  If I lay there and think about it too much, I may still end up going, but it won't be a good workout.  I'll spend the time thinking about how much I'd rather be home in bed.  Same with running or biking after work - if I change my clothes as soon as I get home and tell myself that 7pm is workout time and then at 7pm head downstairs or to the gym, I'm good.  It may not always be the best workout, but I won't struggle as much as if I had overthought about it.  

Janet

2017-02-02 7:13 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

Thank you Janet. I will check it out. I appreciate the info.
2017-02-02 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Decision time...

Do I go out for a 4 mile run after work (it's a little chilly but at least the sun is out, something that has happened all too infrequently this winter), or do an interval ride on the trainer tonight?  I'm leaning towards the trainer ride only because I'm kind of in the mood to do intervals, which I know sounds a little strange.  Most people don't like intervals, I kind of enjoy them .  I guess we'll see how the evening goes.

Hope everyone is having a good week!
Janet

2017-02-02 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Janet

So, which did you do? I opted for the outdoors run, as it was so clear today.... I saw snow in the forecast for the next few days...

2017-02-03 7:21 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Decision time...

Do I go out for a 4 mile run after work (it's a little chilly but at least the sun is out, something that has happened all too infrequently this winter), or do an interval ride on the trainer tonight?  I'm leaning towards the trainer ride only because I'm kind of in the mood to do intervals, which I know sounds a little strange.  Most people don't like intervals, I kind of enjoy them .  I guess we'll see how the evening goes.

Janet

Hey Janet,

This highlights the need to have a plan.  I know in my case, if it were to come down to me choosing which discipline I'd prefer to do, i will almost invariably choose the bike.  I don't like running.  I do it, but only because I have to.  After nearly 50-years of swimming, if I never see another lane line underneath me I wouldn't be disappointed.  If I had a 'choice' my triathlon training would consist of cycling, cycling, and some more cycling.  During the summer I'd get in the pool now and again, not because I wanted to put in yards but because I can cool off.

Having a plan takes "ME" out of the equation and allows my triathlon training to remain balanced and focused on becoming a stronger and faster triathlete.  There are a number of free plans available here on BT.  If you choose to write your own plan, a ratio of 1:2:1 for swim:bike:run is a good starting point.  Remember to include adequate recovery time.

So what did you choose?

2017-02-03 7:28 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weekend is Here!

Another weekend is upon us!  Anyone racing this weekend?  Any special plans?

One of the athletes I am working with is racing down in San Diego on Sunday so my wife and I are going to make the drive down, watch his race and make a day out of it.  Looking forward to spending the day in the "birthplace" of triathlon.

2017-02-03 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by k9car363

Decision time...

Janet

Hey Janet,

This highlights the need to have a plan.  I know in my case, if it were to come down to me choosing which discipline I'd prefer to do, i will almost invariably choose the bike.  I don't like running.  I do it, but only because I have to.  After nearly 50-years of swimming, if I never see another lane line underneath me I wouldn't be disappointed.  If I had a 'choice' my triathlon training would consist of cycling, cycling, and some more cycling.  During the summer I'd get in the pool now and again, not because I wanted to put in yards but because I can cool off.

Having a plan takes "ME" out of the equation and allows my triathlon training to remain balanced and focused on becoming a stronger and faster triathlete.  There are a number of free plans available here on BT.  If you choose to write your own plan, a ratio of 1:2:1 for swim:bike:run is a good starting point.  Remember to include adequate recovery time.

So what did you choose?

Scott,

I actually do have a plan.  It's a combination of a BT plan, a triathlon plan I got from a book and a 25k run plan that I got from another book (since my main race for spring is a 25k trail run).  The run is what was on the schedule for last night but I was considering doing the bike (which was originally scheduled for tonight) because I'm doing some adjusting of my weekend workouts and didn't want to have long/hard bike workouts on Friday night and again Saturday morning.  As it turns out, I didn't do either one last night .  I had decided on doing the trainer ride but our electricity went out last night, for no apparent reason.  I realized (after it was too late) that I didn't actually need electricity to do the trainer ride.  I'm just so used to taking the computer down there with me for the videos that I didn't even think about going downstairs, turning on my MP3 for some music and just riding in the dark.  I got a headlamp for Christmas that I could have used if I wanted a little light.  

So I guess I'll just end up skipping that ride and doing the run tonight.  We're having another chilly but sunny day so I'll take advantage of that.
Janet

2017-02-04 11:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Weekend is Here!
I had an 8 km trail race scheduled for tomorrow, but with nearly 30 cm of snow yesterday it has been cancelled
So, I got to shovel snow again! I did also manage to get in a 2x20 trainer ride on the trainer, too. With warm up and cooldown, it worked out to a 65 min effort.

How is everyone else doing?

kelly

2017-02-05 5:10 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by triosaurus

I had an 8 km trail race scheduled for tomorrow, but with nearly 30 cm of snow yesterday it has been cancelled So, I got to shovel snow again! I did also manage to get in a 2x20 trainer ride on the trainer, too. With warm up and cooldown, it worked out to a 65 min effort. How is everyone else doing? kelly

Hey Kelly,

Bummer that the race was cancelled but great job getting a good ride in.  That's "turning lemons into lemonade!"  And you added to it by doing some strength work . . . I mean shoveling snow!

(thumbs-up-sign.png)

Attachments
----------------
thumbs-up-sign.png (37KB - 3 downloads)

2017-02-05 5:14 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Super Bowl Time!

The big game starts in about 20-minutes.  Anyone care to make any predictions?

I'm pulling for the Falcons.  I've been saying all year that nothing would make me happier than to see New England lose their last game.  Yeah, they're great and all that but it's time to share the wealth.  I just think Atlanta is too fast and is going to pressure Brady all night.  Guess we'll see soon enough how much (or how little) I know about football!

Go Atlanta!

2017-02-06 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Super Bowl Time!

I'm pulling for the Falcons.  I've been saying all year that nothing would make me happier than to see New England lose their last game.  Yeah, they're great and all that but it's time to share the wealth.  I just think Atlanta is too fast and is going to pressure Brady all night.  Guess we'll see soon enough how much (or how little) I know about football!

Go Atlanta!

This was true for the first 3 quarters.  I really thought they were going to pull out the win (and we're Patriots fans at my house - Steven grew up in New England).  One thing about the Pats though - they don't give up.  Even down by 25 points, you can't count them out.  And I don't think the Falcons gave up so much as just maybe "ran out of gas."  They played well and hard for the first 3 quarters, but when the Patriot's went into overdrive to try to come back, the Falcons just couldn't keep up.  It was a great game though on both sides.  

2017-02-06 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Checked out another new trail yesterday with the trail running group.  I actually found someone who runs my slow pace so we stayed together for the whole 7.65 miles.  She had run there before so knew the trail.  It's a pretty nice one, hilly but no steep hills, lots of switchbacks and a couple of places where they are some nice waterfalls (small ones) in the springtime.  I'll definitely head back out there again sometime.  

Got up early for a swim this morning and planning on a 60-75 minute trainer ride tonight.  Have a good week everyone!
Janet

2017-02-07 2:55 PM

User image

Regular
Hi All,

Some good work from you guys

Got my bike back from the shop, £140 lighter but now it goes!
It will need to go back in to get the gears re-indexed as they are not quite right yet.

Went out on Sunday and did the ride I had planned last week, 31.5 miles in 2.5 hours

trainer tonight , 15 miles in an hour.
Planning a hill session on Thursday.

take care
2017-02-07 7:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Go Atlanta!

This was true for the first 3 quarters.  I really thought they were going to pull out the win (and we're Patriots fans at my house - Steven grew up in New England).  One thing about the Pats though - they don't give up.  Even down by 25 points, you can't count them out.  And I don't think the Falcons gave up so much as just maybe "ran out of gas."  They played well and hard for the first 3 quarters, but when the Patriot's went into overdrive to try to come back, the Falcons just couldn't keep up.  It was a great game though on both sides.  

Yeah, the Falcons kind of let me down in the third quarter!  Tell me, who takes a 5-step drop on a third and one play when all you have to do is run the ball and kick the field goal?  That sack, followed by the penalty on the next play was the game.  Oh well, it was a great game.  I enjoyed every minute of it, even though it didn't quite end the way I was hoping for.

2017-02-08 8:38 AM

Scott, I have a question.

I am not sure if it was a bad cramp or a minor strain in my calf that has been bothering me. It had bothered me for about a week but if I slowed my run it did not get worse. Sunday on a slow run it pulled and tightened into a knot. I limped home and it loosened but I had to walk slowly. My question is should I not run for a week and just bike and swim and rest it? I have rolled it, massaged it, stretched it since Sunday. It it only a little tender but that could be from all my fussing with it. I am still a week away from starting my 16 week plan and the run has always been my easiest part. What do you think?
2017-02-08 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

I'm feeling a bit frustrated today.  We had a great day yesterday weather-wise so I tried to take advantage of it and stopped at the park for a run after work.  It's not often we get 60*F weather in February (and it's snowing today ).  Anyway, about 1/4 mile into the run - intense pain in my right foot, on the outside just below my ankle.  I had stepped on a rock that was hidden by leaves on my run on Sunday and twisted it a little but it seemed to be OK.  Trying to run on it yesterday was a no-go though.  It's still a little sore today.  And I'm supposed to be running a 5k on Saturday that I was really looking forward to.  I'll hit the trainer for some easy rides the rest of the week and see how things feel on Saturday.  It may end up being a 5k walk instead of run.  

Janet

2017-02-08 3:58 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Hi everyone,

I completed an Ironman in January! That is to say, I swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles, and ran 26.2 miles total for the month. I didn't realize it at the time, but this was a good training plan for me. It gave me a basic framework while allowing some flexibility in what I did each day. I'm repeating this plan in February, with some changes. I'm increasing the running a bit, but will stick with the swim and cycle distances for now.

Happy training!
Kathy
2017-02-09 12:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Janet - So sorry to hear about the foot. I get the frustration, and hope it is a minor issue that heals quickly.

FWIW, I find I need to add a judicious amount of patience to my daily outlook to complement the greying temples I see in the mirror Things seem to take a wee bit longer to return to a healthy normal these days ....

kelly
2017-02-09 12:50 AM
in reply to: kszelei

User image

Extreme Veteran

Kathy - That is Awesome Keep it up!

kelly

2017-02-09 5:53 AM
in reply to: #5211884

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Well done kathy.

Just need to do it all in the one day now ;-)

Adrian
2017-02-09 7:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by AkronChet Scott, I have a question. I am not sure if it was a bad cramp or a minor strain in my calf that has been bothering me. It had bothered me for about a week but if I slowed my run it did not get worse. Sunday on a slow run it pulled and tightened into a knot. I limped home and it loosened but I had to walk slowly. My question is should I not run for a week and just bike and swim and rest it? I have rolled it, massaged it, stretched it since Sunday. It it only a little tender but that could be from all my fussing with it. I am still a week away from starting my 16 week plan and the run has always been my easiest part. What do you think?

Hey Chet,

Hard to tell what's going on from your description.  Typically, stretching will help cramping, although once you cramp, it's not uncommon to "re-cramp" frequently in 'the same session.'  If you are cramping, WHY you are cramping is even harder to determine - dehydration and electrolyte imbalance are a couple of the most common causes.

That said, I don't like the "pulled and tightened into a knot."  Yes, that could certainly be a cramp, but it could also be something more sinister.  With it having been there are a number of days, I'd rest it.

Personally I ALWAYS come down on the side of caution.  I would take a couple of days off.  Better in my opinion to lose a couple of days training and avoid something more serious than push through pain and cause an injury that could sideline your for weeks or months instead of days - especially as we get older.

If it recurs after a few days of rest, I would consider seeing my physician just to make sure nothing is going on.

Just my humble two cents.

Edited by k9car363 2017-02-09 7:18 AM
2017-02-09 7:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I'm feeling a bit frustrated today.  We had a great day yesterday weather-wise so I tried to take advantage of it and stopped at the park for a run after work.  It's not often we get 60*F weather in February (and it's snowing today ).  Anyway, about 1/4 mile into the run - intense pain in my right foot, on the outside just below my ankle.  I had stepped on a rock that was hidden by leaves on my run on Sunday and twisted it a little but it seemed to be OK.  Trying to run on it yesterday was a no-go though.  It's still a little sore today.  And I'm supposed to be running a 5k on Saturday that I was really looking forward to.  I'll hit the trainer for some easy rides the rest of the week and see how things feel on Saturday.  It may end up being a 5k walk instead of run.  

Janet

Hey Janet,

R.I.C.E - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate

You have some time so I would start with that.  Next thing you might consider is taping.  Here's a video showing how to apply kinesiology tape for ankle stability/strains.  I've had very good experiences with kinesiology tape, both personally and for athletes I have worked with.

http://www.kttape.com/instructions/ankle-stability/

Hope that helps.

Edited by k9car363 2017-02-09 7:20 AM
2017-02-09 7:13 AM
in reply to: kszelei

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by kszelei Hi everyone, I completed an Ironman in January! That is to say, I swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles, and ran 26.2 miles total for the month. I didn't realize it at the time, but this was a good training plan for me. It gave me a basic framework while allowing some flexibility in what I did each day. I'm repeating this plan in February, with some changes. I'm increasing the running a bit, but will stick with the swim and cycle distances for now. Happy training! Kathy

Good job Kathy!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.