BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-23 8:05 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
I had a really rough work week last week and it continues now. This weekend I needed to decompress. Spent all Saturday on my couch watching TV (binge watched Stranger Things...SO GOOD!). Sunday I cleaned all day. Needed to clean out my shower drain, which was easily the grossest thing I've ever done. Was going to go to the gym after that, but really just needed a shower immediately. Then I continued cleaning. My house has been quite a wreck these days, but it's looking much better now. I find that when my house is messy I have a hard time getting motivated to do anything. When it's clean though I am quite efficient. Going to a boot camp after work today, and have a late vball match. Getting back in a groove!

2017-01-23 8:54 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy Monday! Is that an oxymoron?!?!

Up at 4:30am again today. This is becoming a bad habit! Guess it gives me time to eat a full breakfast before swimming. Masters swim this morning. Today was my first day back in long course (50m) since mid-December. They don't do long course set during winter break for the school, as they don't have the lifeguard staff to do the lane line switch. After six weeks of short course (25yds), long course kicked my butt. 1900m and I was tired, sore, and just mentally ready to get out of the water!

Goals for this week:
1.) Whole30 continuation--last full week, so power through!
2.) strength train x2
3.) bike x1 (minimum)
2017-01-23 8:57 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Masters swim this morning. Much better experience than yesterday's pool party! We did sets of alternating hard 100/easy 50, then ez 100, hard 50. I'm exhausted!!

Goals for the week (I know I'm late):
1.) keep Whole 30 challenge going
2.) get at least one bike in
3.) enjoy the rest week of my HM plan (only 16mi this week, down from 22 last!)

checking in on last week's goals

1.)--done!
2.)--done!
3.)--DONE!! Now back to the grind!
2017-01-23 2:41 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Keeping up with posts! I'm sick so nothing here. Hoping to feel good enough to do something tomorrow.

Oh no Jenn rest up and feel better soon!

2017-01-23 2:43 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Tomorrow, I'm headed up to the old IMTX bike course for a few hours of riding, followed by a short run, but most importantly, followed by a barrel aged beer fest with 30 different beers on tap!  I suspect my run on Sunday may be ugly, but it'll be worth it! 

Hope everyone has fun weekend plans (and beers) on tap

That sounds awesome - how was the beer fest?

2017-01-23 2:50 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Going to a boot camp after work today, and have a late vball match. Getting back in a groove!

Welcome back to the groove!!

2017-01-23 2:53 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

Going to attempt this 'goals for the week' thing, which I haven't done as I don't have a training plan going except HM time improvement.

1. Do all 3 scheduled runs, including my long run which is 13 miles and scheduled the same day as my daughter's birthday party...

2. Get the bike on the trainer and ride minimum 30 minutes, to determine if my aero bars are in roughly the right spot

3. Get back in the pool once!

2017-01-23 2:56 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by firebert

Tomorrow, I'm headed up to the old IMTX bike course for a few hours of riding, followed by a short run, but most importantly, followed by a barrel aged beer fest with 30 different beers on tap!  I suspect my run on Sunday may be ugly, but it'll be worth it! 

It was aaaaaahhhhhhh-mazing!  So many awesome barrel aged beers.  My favorites were a Sour Saison / Brett Berliner blend, a Brett DIPA dry hopped with Galaxy hops, and a Sour Saison dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin hops.  I had 12 four-ounce tasters and came home with a case of beer

I'm getting a new bike (Argon18 E-119) and it was delivered to the bike shop today!  My current bike will be a dedicated trainer bike.  So goals for this week are to nail my two trainer rides and take the new bike out for a long ride this weekend!

Also going to try to continue doing most of my runs outside (managed to do five of them outside last week, including one in a thunderstorm cause I'm an idiot!) and detox from the indulgent weekend! 

2017-01-23 3:15 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Beers sound AWESOME!!

Can't wait to see pics of the new bike.  I know Juan (juancho) recently got an Argon 18.  Can't remember which, it was posted in our old thread from 2016.

I'll have to get pics of my new bike up too now that I installed the aerobars and its tri-ready.

2017-01-23 4:49 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

It was aaaaaahhhhhhh-mazing!  So many awesome barrel aged beers.  My favorites were a Sour Saison / Brett Berliner blend, a Brett DIPA dry hopped with Galaxy hops, and a Sour Saison dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin hops.  I had 12 four-ounce tasters and came home with a case of beer

I'm getting a new bike (Argon18 E-119) and it was delivered to the bike shop today!  My current bike will be a dedicated trainer bike.  So goals for this week are to nail my two trainer rides and take the new bike out for a long ride this weekend!

Sounds like a good weekend! Topped off with the new bike delivery as well, can't get much better than that!

Nothing too exciting for me. Easy paced 7 mile run on Saturday while dodging rain. As much as I missed the rain during the drought out here in CA, I was spoiled by beautiful weather for outdoor training. So far this winter we are getting a lot of much needed rain but it's hindering my motivation. Fortunately there is a dry streak coming up so I'll need to take advantage of it.

2017-01-23 7:36 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

checking in on last week's goals

1.)--done!
2.)--done!
3.)--DONE!! Now back to the grind!

Good job hitting your goals. Keep up the nice work

2017-01-23 7:38 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I'm getting a new bike (Argon18 E-119) and it was delivered to the bike shop today!  My current bike will be a dedicated trainer bike. 

New bikes are awesome, and the Argon18 is particularly sexy in my opinion. Wishing you many happy miles on her... and bring on the bike p0rn!
2017-01-24 5:32 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by firebert

Also going to try to continue doing most of my runs outside (managed to do five of them outside last week, including one in a thunderstorm cause I'm an idiot!) and detox from the indulgent weekend! 

Awesome.  New bike!!!

Juan just got an Argon 18, too.  Seems contagious (I hope!!!).

2017-01-24 7:03 AM
in reply to: #5207975

Nicole - I am very jealous... beer fest AND a new bike!
Good job Gretchen

Many thanks to all of you - this forum is a great accountability thread. Can't let me slack off with all of you watching.

Week 4 of the training plan - yesterday had me do a small swim 750m and a small ride -10 miles or so. Both done. Today is slack off day. I am really good at those. It's helpful because of its billing day for the business. I get pretty busy on the 24-25 each month.

Cheers

Pat
2017-01-24 7:50 AM
in reply to: Gecko

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Did someone say new bike?!?! Where are the pictures? I need to live vicariously!

Morning strength training session done and afternoon run scheduled. Winter is back around here, but it isn't too bad. Mainly in the high 30s and low 40s. Hoping it holds out for my race in three weeks. Last year it was 12F with wind at the start of this race.
2017-01-24 8:25 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey all,

Question for those of you that have trainers. I think I need to pull the trigger and finally get one. The problem is my house is not huge. It's a Baltimore Rowhome. I would prefer something that can be moved easily so I can store it in the basement when I don't want it out. Any thoughts? I'm also hoping to find one that is reasonably priced, as I am still paying off my new parking pad and my new eyeballs

2017-01-24 8:29 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey all,

Question for those of you that have trainers. I think I need to pull the trigger and finally get one. The problem is my house is not huge. It's a Baltimore Rowhome. I would prefer something that can be moved easily so I can store it in the basement when I don't want it out. Any thoughts? I'm also hoping to find one that is reasonably priced, as I am still paying off my new parking pad and my new eyeballs

I have a cycleops 2. Between the bike, floor pad (for catching the ponds of sweat), and trainer, I would absolutely not want to move it to my basement every time I used it (or, ever, really). It is heavy (30ish lbs? I'm bad at estimating weight). It folds up, but is still kind of bulky and I could totally see myself banging it into my knees when carrying it. Plus, out of sight, out of mind.

Trainer itself is great though.

I nominate this for the least helpful post ever.
2017-01-24 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Hey all, Question for those of you that have trainers. I think I need to pull the trigger and finally get one. The problem is my house is not huge. It's a Baltimore Rowhome. I would prefer something that can be moved easily so I can store it in the basement when I don't want it out. Any thoughts? I'm also hoping to find one that is reasonably priced, as I am still paying off my new parking pad and my new eyeballs
I have a cycleops 2. Between the bike, floor pad (for catching the ponds of sweat), and trainer, I would absolutely not want to move it to my basement every time I used it (or, ever, really). It is heavy (30ish lbs? I'm bad at estimating weight). It folds up, but is still kind of bulky and I could totally see myself banging it into my knees when carrying it. Plus, out of sight, out of mind. Trainer itself is great though. I nominate this for the least helpful post ever.

This will be another non-helpful post.  I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (basically the same thing as the Cycleops 2, only different brand - both are fluid trainers).  It weighs about 30 pounds.  It's a hassle to move.  Both are around $250-300 new, but you an find them cheaper on CL or eBay sometimes (or get one of those crazy REI or Performance Bike sales).

Rather than lug it up and down stairs, find a place on the same floor to slide it into a corner or something.

Getting a trainer is the #1 investment I've made in this sport.  You literally can work out on YOUR bike just about anytime.

2017-01-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

DeLand, Florida

Yeah what Mike and Gretchen said.  I have the CycleOps Fluid 2 like Gretchen, and it's currently in a corner behind a chair.  It's a bit of a beast to move because it's heavy and compact, and very hard metal for banging shins and knees on  Also bought it at REI during one of their sales.

Current plan is to put it in the basement for winter training.  I haven't done that in the past because it's too cold down there in the winter but if I put my cold weather gear on I should be good - 40F in the basement with no wind beats the heck out of whatever is going on outside in New England winter.  Plus if it snows (which it hasn't much yet) I also don't have to worry about snow banks taking up what little shoulder I had to ride on, not to mention the beach worth of sand all over the road.

2017-01-24 12:31 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Getting a trainer is the #1 investment I've made in this sport.  You literally can work out on YOUR bike just about anytime.

I will second that!  A close second would be pairing it with TrainerRoad.  I would not be where I am today without my trainer and TrainerRoad (and now, power meter). 

I also have a KK Road Machine.  I like it fine, but it's not really light or easily moveable.  It is fairly compact and doesn't take up a ton of room....though, once you add the bike, the mat to catch the puddles, a couple fans, and access to a TV or computer, it's taking up a solid chunk of real estate.  That said, it is 100% worth it!

2017-01-24 1:23 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Hey all,

Our old house, up until July last year was about 540 square foot, so very very small for 2 people and a dog. So space was at a premium, I know where you're coming from.

I use a magnetic trainer, like this one: https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7TRMN5MT/title/torpedo7-mag-tra... I have a cheap, generic one, I'm not sure of the brand but it cost about NZ$100, I'd guess that's about $50 for you. The fold up pretty small and can be moved out of the way easily. But, when I had the bike set up permanently on the trainer in the spare room (When I was in the house on my own) it got used more than when I had to assemble the bike/trainer combo. The basic trainers aren't as clever as some and you can't plug in to trainer road etc. But there's nothing stopping you getting a good workout in.

If space is a big factor for you, I'd vote go for a simple magnetic trainer.

2017-01-24 3:42 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

Hey all,

Our old house, up until July last year was about 540 square foot, so very very small for 2 people and a dog. So space was at a premium, I know where you're coming from.

I use a magnetic trainer, like this one: https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7TRMN5MT/title/torpedo7-mag-tra... I have a cheap, generic one, I'm not sure of the brand but it cost about NZ$100, I'd guess that's about $50 for you. The fold up pretty small and can be moved out of the way easily. But, when I had the bike set up permanently on the trainer in the spare room (When I was in the house on my own) it got used more than when I had to assemble the bike/trainer combo. The basic trainers aren't as clever as some and you can't plug in to trainer road etc. But there's nothing stopping you getting a good workout in.

If space is a big factor for you, I'd vote go for a simple magnetic trainer.

This looks awesome! I think at this point I would likely just bike while I binge watch something, haha, so connecting to trainer road or whatever isn't a requirement. And then maybe there is something I can get to attach to my bike to know how far I'm actually riding and how fast and what not? I usually use my garmin, but I'm not sure if will work if I'm riding stationary.

Thanks to everyone else! I could probably put one of the heavier trainers behind my chair to get it out of the way, so I wouldn't have to lug it too far. I just hate clutter. I lol'd at Gretchen voting herself as least helpful post
2017-01-24 3:48 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

The wife hates clutter here too which is why I've opted for setting the trainer up in the cold basement.  Of course, when it's set up with her bike it's not clutter 

For tracking speed you'd need a speed sensor (on the rear wheel, since it's the only one spinning on the trainer).  Cadence is awesome as well.  Not sure if you can buy the speed sensor by itself but here's a cheap bundle of the two:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/garmin-speed-cadence-sensor/rp-prod134821?gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAk5zEBRD9lfno2dek0tsBEiQAWVKyuLHnDWTKVajaCVdP7iMsVF06khgVlLctnqbW9tWFONAaApXq8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

2017-01-24 3:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

This looks awesome! I think at this point I would likely just bike while I binge watch something, haha, so connecting to trainer road or whatever isn't a requirement. And then maybe there is something I can get to attach to my bike to know how far I'm actually riding and how fast and what not? I usually use my garmin, but I'm not sure if will work if I'm riding stationary.

Thanks to everyone else! I could probably put one of the heavier trainers behind my chair to get it out of the way, so I wouldn't have to lug it too far. I just hate clutter. I lol'd at Gretchen voting herself as least helpful post

I spend most of my time on the trainer watching sport. Something interesting but you don't need to focus too much on.

To see how far/fast you're going you just need a simple cycle computer, one of the ones that use a magnet on the wheel, not GPS. You can get cheap ones for $20-30. Just make sure the cable (if not wireless) is long enough to reach the back wheel.

Also, look to get a trainer tire (or even better a spare wheel with trainer tire on it) Trainers are not good for tires and will burn through your rubber quickly if you use your normal road tires.
2017-01-24 3:57 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks Andrew and John! I will check that out for sure! And will look into getting a trainer wheel.

Has anyone tried these... https://sportfactoryproshop.com/tacx-anatares-rollers/?utm_medium=go...

I am pretty sure I would fall...but I found this one for about $150, which seemed pretty reasonable, and I feel like someone from the group last year or the year before had tried these out.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38442 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.