BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-02-11 8:40 PM
in reply to: #5213275

User image

, California
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
DQ - how did Day 2 of the fair go?

Gretchen - as mentioned already nice job given the hardships to be so close to your goal anyway. Sorry that it sucked in general.

1h5m run for me today. Took my 8 year old on his bike again while I lagged behind he just kept zipping away and back. I can get used to this partner thing!

Tomorrow morning 2-2.5 hours planned on the bike.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

-Matt

2017-02-12 6:01 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Be Iron Fit Half Iron Secrets

I bought them in reverse order, first the full IM and enjoyed it even though I thought I would never do a full, so I order the Half Iron Secrets and has been extremely useful for my to HIMs, doing about 80% of whatever was in the intermediate plan. Now using the Full Intermediate plan and hope will take me to the finish line in decent shape.
Enjoy the skiing!

Juan
2017-02-12 6:02 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi all! Ran my HM this morning. It kinda sucked. Ok. It sucked a lot. At mile 11 I thought "this running sucks and I didn't even get to swim or ride first!" I think I'm certainly a tri girl.

First five miles were great, I was even coming in under goal pace a little. It felt good. Little did I know it was all going to go off the rails very soon. Passed water station just before mile four. If I'd have known it was the last one for four miles, I'd have taken two cups!! Then the road turned from gravel to little more than a really wide trail for the next four miles. I was certainly not prepared for a trail run! Aid station at mile eight was out of water, but had Gatorade (thankfully). Aid station at mile 10 was actually completely gone. All cleaned up and packed away and GONE. The last aid station at mile 12 thankfully had some water, or I'm not sure I would have finished. If you're doing math, that is no water for eight miles!! Ended up 10min over goal for the race. They also ran out of all drinks at the finish line, but I had friends who ran who hoarded some for me. Frankly, I'm just happy it is over!!!

Also, people aren't as nice at running races!

Tough race Gretchen, and only 10 min over goal, congratulations!!

Juan
2017-02-12 6:02 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Qua17

Off day for me. I still did my core work (nicole).

Tomorrow I'm going to give snowshoeing a try. Any suggestions? I'm excited!

Sounds fun!! Never tried, I have a pair of old snowshoes just for decoration, no way I could do that in Madrid..... ENjoy!!
Juan
2017-02-12 11:31 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Proud to report: Weighed myself this morning to discover I'd hit the 10 pound mark! Boom - confetti!
2017-02-12 11:55 AM
in reply to: #5213284

User image

DeLand, Florida
YEAH DAVE!!!

2017-02-12 12:04 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

DQ - how did Day 2 of the fair go?

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

-Matt

Day 2 went ok but I only had two interviews. Such is life. But all in all - I'd had 6 interviews total over the two day conference so that's good! Hopefully they will lead to something.

Thanks for asking!
2017-02-12 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Just got back from my first ever snowshoeing excursion... OH MY BLEEPING GOSH. I went for an hour walk on the local cross country fields with some hills and the workout just crushed me. There were times when I had to stop to catch my breath and I actually thought for a while that my lunch might come up.

WIth 64 days to go before Boston - it just goes to show how much work I need to do if I'm going to finish the race.
2017-02-12 3:31 PM
in reply to: #5213307

User image

, Vermont
DQ - glad to hear you had 6 interviews! Good luck!!

Snowshoeing is a great workout! A friend of mine and I used to show up alongside ski trails to the top- just kicked my butt. Great cross training!

Congrats on the 10 lbs!!
2017-02-12 3:35 PM
in reply to: #5213324

User image

, Vermont
30 min spin yesterday and 40 minutes today. Trying to get my "saddle-butt" back. Ouch. Haha. Not out of the woods yet with that darn injury - left side really tightens up and works down the ham and side of leg and hits the upper outside of the gastroc. I'm convinced it's an SI joint thing. Acupuncture doesn't last and at $60 every other week since before Christmas, I can't afford to continue. May head back to the PT or talk about an MRI to get to the crux of it.
2017-02-12 3:48 PM
in reply to: #5213325

User image

, California
So was out for a couple hours on bike today and really had to pee. But there were no public restrooms around my route and even if there were I was riding alone so I would have no one to watch my bike. I was able to hold it to the end but only because my ride was super long today. Led me to thinking "who could I ask this dumb question to?" And you all of course were the answer!

So, what does everyone do on a 3,4,5+ hour ride? Do you actually carry locks in case you stop somewhere? Do you just go on the side of the road!? I'll need ideas as my rides get much longer soon.

-Matt

2017-02-12 5:51 PM

User image

Expert

So, what does everyone do on a 3,4,5+ hour ride? Do you actually carry locks in case you stop somewhere? Do you just go on the side of the road!? I'll need ideas as my rides get much longer soon.

-Matt

Matt - I love riding with my cousin - when he rides he stops at any restaurant where they have bacon. Smart man!
2017-02-12 7:15 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Congratulations Gretchen on finishing your HM. Pushing through a difficult race can be tough. Good on you for getting it done.

And good to hear there were 6 interviews DQ, hopefully these turn into multiple offers so you can take your pick.
2017-02-12 7:20 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
My week finished off strongly,

a 5 hour 120km ride on saturday followed by a half hour run in the evening, and a 2 hour ride on Sunday. Sunday's ride was hard work tho, the wind was up, and I was feeling fatuige from a big weeks training, but got it done.

Over all for the week,

1 swim, 30 minutes, 1500m (this is the let down this week)
3 Bikes, 8 hours 30 minutes 207km,
and 5 Runs, 4 hours 17 minutes, 35km

Solid numbers for me that I'm quite happy with, other than a lack of swimming.

Today I'm giving my legs a rest, Only going to swim after work, 40-45 minutes planned. And the rest of the week will be similar to last week, only a longer long run and long bike.

19 days till IMNZ... but who's counting
2017-02-12 7:22 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

-Matt

I've never had to stop to pee on a long ride, I find I tend to sweat it out rather than peeing.

Not much help for you I know.

Other than that my long rides tend to be multiple loops, so I have the option to stop at home (or the car depending on where I'm riding)
2017-02-13 7:56 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

So was out for a couple hours on bike today and really had to pee. But there were no public restrooms around my route and even if there were I was riding alone so I would have no one to watch my bike. I was able to hold it to the end but only because my ride was super long today. Led me to thinking "who could I ask this dumb question to?" And you all of course were the answer!

-Matt

I generally don't have to go on the bike (unless I'm on the trainer for some reason), but when I have to go, I just sit down on the side of the road and go. Then I use a little water from my bottles to rinse off. When I get home, shoes go in the wash too. I figure it can't be any nastier than lake water.

2017-02-13 7:57 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm taking an unplanned off day today. My right ankle/lateral foot is very sore still from Saturday's race. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, but I had similar soreness after my last two long runs. In both those cases, however, the soreness went away the next day and it was no big deal. Working on day three and hoping it gets better before tomorrow, when I have to drive 9 hours to New Orleans for a conference!
2017-02-13 8:00 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thanks everyone for your comments about my race. It was a tough one, but I feel good about it in the end. I did the best that I could given the circumstances, and that is all I can ask of myself.

Weird thing, though, my official result shows I only missed my goal by 1:34. Official time is exactly nine minutes faster than my watch time. I'm positive I stopped my watch as I crossed the line, because my friend took a picture of me and I'm stopping my watch in the photo. I don't think I started it before I crossed the mat to begin and even if I had, it didn't take nine minutes for the group to advance across the start line. It is just weird and I'm not accepting it as my time. I will use my watch time.
2017-02-13 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 So was out for a couple hours on bike today and really had to pee. But there were no public restrooms around my route and even if there were I was riding alone so I would have no one to watch my bike. I was able to hold it to the end but only because my ride was super long today. Led me to thinking "who could I ask this dumb question to?" And you all of course were the answer! So, what does everyone do on a 3,4,5+ hour ride? Do you actually carry locks in case you stop somewhere? Do you just go on the side of the road!? I'll need ideas as my rides get much longer soon. -Matt
I generally don't have to go on the bike (unless I'm on the trainer for some reason), but when I have to go, I just sit down on the side of the road and go. Then I use a little water from my bottles to rinse off. When I get home, shoes go in the wash too. I figure it can't be any nastier than lake water.

Typically I ride in areas that have places you can stop if necessary, though I've never gone past 3 /12 hours/65 miles.

2017-02-13 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I'm taking an unplanned off day today. My right ankle/lateral foot is very sore still from Saturday's race. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, but I had similar soreness after my last two long runs. In both those cases, however, the soreness went away the next day and it was no big deal. Working on day three and hoping it gets better before tomorrow, when I have to drive 9 hours to New Orleans for a conference!

Just take it easy - it won't hurt you to take 7-10 days off from running to let your body heal up.  I'm a mess for a week after HMs.

2017-02-13 9:35 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Tavo2311 So was out for a couple hours on bike today and really had to pee. But there were no public restrooms around my route and even if there were I was riding alone so I would have no one to watch my bike. I was able to hold it to the end but only because my ride was super long today. Led me to thinking "who could I ask this dumb question to?" And you all of course were the answer! So, what does everyone do on a 3,4,5+ hour ride? Do you actually carry locks in case you stop somewhere? Do you just go on the side of the road!? I'll need ideas as my rides get much longer soon. -Matt

Typically I ride in areas that have places you can stop if necessary, though I've never gone past 3 /12 hours/65 miles.

What do you do with your bike while you are stopped somewhere?

2017-02-13 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Just got back from my first ever snowshoeing excursion... OH MY BLEEPING GOSH. I went for an hour walk on the local cross country fields with some hills and the workout just crushed me. There were times when I had to stop to catch my breath and I actually thought for a while that my lunch might come up. WIth 64 days to go before Boston - it just goes to show how much work I need to do if I'm going to finish the race.

Someone in one of my old mentor groups did snowshoeing as her off-season training.  It sounded really cool and was a really peaceful outlet for her (as most of it was in the woods away from civilization. 

Yeah, it's effing hard. 

2017-02-13 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

What do you do with your bike while you are stopped somewhere?

Totally depends on where it is - one of the state parks I ride in has bathrooms so I actually pull my bike in there.  If I stop at a gas station or something I'll ask if I can bring it indoors for a minute.  I've carried locks before but I've always felt that if a thief wants your bike, no lock is going to stop them.  And besides it would be fun trying to watch someone get away on a 61cm bike with Speedplay pedals. 

2017-02-13 9:46 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

My week finished off strongly,

a 5 hour 120km ride on saturday followed by a half hour run in the evening, and a 2 hour ride on Sunday. Sunday's ride was hard work tho, the wind was up, and I was feeling fatuige from a big weeks training, but got it done.

Over all for the week,

1 swim, 30 minutes, 1500m (this is the let down this week)
3 Bikes, 8 hours 30 minutes 207km,
and 5 Runs, 4 hours 17 minutes, 35km

Solid numbers for me that I'm quite happy with, other than a lack of swimming.

Today I'm giving my legs a rest, Only going to swim after work, 40-45 minutes planned. And the rest of the week will be similar to last week, only a longer long run and long bike.

19 days till IMNZ... but who's counting

Damn good week! When do you start your taper for IMNZ?
2017-02-13 9:52 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Proud to report: Weighed myself this morning to discover I'd hit the 10 pound mark! Boom - confetti!

Woooohooooo! Congrats!

Also, snow shoeing is SO FUN, and an awesome workout!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38378 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.