BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-02-14 4:59 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by Tavo2311

So this morning officially started my Ironman training. Though all the training I've been doing since signing up in September has been with this race in mind, the specific 24 week plan is now underway. Wish me luck, I'm sure as hell gonna need it!

4:30 am 3 mile run this morning, swim squad later tonight.

-Matt

It was a dream, now it is a goal!! Yess, excellent motivation to have a great goal in mind - will follow your sessions Matt, I have about 20 weeks till early July.

Juan

2017-02-14 5:02 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by bulfrog

My week finished off strongly,

a 5 hour 120km ride on saturday followed by a half hour run in the evening, and a 2 hour ride on Sunday. Sunday's ride was hard work tho, the wind was up, and I was feeling fatuige from a big weeks training, but got it done.

Over all for the week,

1 swim, 30 minutes, 1500m (this is the let down this week)
3 Bikes, 8 hours 30 minutes 207km,
and 5 Runs, 4 hours 17 minutes, 35km

Solid numbers for me that I'm quite happy with, other than a lack of swimming.

Today I'm giving my legs a rest, Only going to swim after work, 40-45 minutes planned. And the rest of the week will be similar to last week, only a longer long run and long bike.

19 days till IMNZ... but who's counting

Almost there Andrew, enjoy these final days!

Juan
2017-02-14 5:04 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Qua17

DQ - how did Day 2 of the fair go?

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

-Matt

Day 2 went ok but I only had two interviews. Such is life. But all in all - I'd had 6 interviews total over the two day conference so that's good! Hopefully they will lead to something.

Thanks for asking!

Congrats x2 - interviews and 10 pounds, way to go!!

Juan
2017-02-14 6:16 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Originally posted by nicole14e

Had a killer masters swim on Saturday morning. Did just under 4000yds, definitely the most I've ever swam in my adult life. Ended up doing time trials as well, which I was not aware we were doing! I only remember my 200 time, which was 2:49. I just emailed my coach to get my 500 and 100 times. I definitely went out too strong in the beginning of the 200 and 500 and died a bit towards the end, especially in the 500! We also did a drill to work on keeping our head positioning that really helped. We put a hand paddle at the top of our head and had to keep it there while swimming. I felt like it helped a lot, but he said when I take the paddle off I'm still lifting my head up. I definitely feel like I'm at least doing better though!

Have another practice tonight as well as volleyball after.

That´s fast!! Impressed with your times, specially with your endurance, maintaining almost same speed in longer distances, so great!
So jealous...hahaha

Juan

Yea - I know. I did the 200 in 4:39 and was working hard! Great job Nicole!
2017-02-14 6:34 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert
!

Me - first workout in over a week last night (not counting shoveling snow which we have plenty of).  Quality time on the bike trainer.  I mixed in some actual timed interval efforts.  Still probably not a 'real' trainer workout, at least so the watch tells me - my recovery status was between 'undertrained' and 'balanced'.  I was on for almost an hour and sweating my bum off but the only time I get my HR into Z3 is during the efforts.  I have a much harder time getting the HR up on the bike than I do on the run or in the pool.  Anyone else have this?  I know bike HRs are usually lower but like 5-10bpm for a given zone not 20-25 like me...

Hmm. That makes me wonder if you're working as hard on the bike as you could. I can understand the swimming because you're not Michael Phelps and the run because it's the run but maybe a low hr on the Bike will let you push harder on that segment to improve your time.

Just a thought...
2017-02-14 6:38 PM

User image

Expert
Nicole - almost blew off today's yoga/core workout but didn't want to give you the pleasure of beating me. I may fall short - but it won't be today.

ALthough we need to find a new penalty for me - I can't drink beer or else my trainer will break up with me - I'm liking this challenge. It's on Raven's fan!

2017-02-14 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Today I had a good workout. 30 minutes on the bike. 20 on the treadmill walking with an elevation of 8 and a speed of at most 4.0 (I dropped it down to 3.5 to catch my breath), and 20 minutes of walking in the pool.

62 days to Boston. I will get my medal and yellow jacket (and check one off the bucket list even if the training is a little crazy!
2017-02-14 6:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

DQ - how did Day 2 of the fair go?

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

-Matt

Day 2 went ok but I only had two interviews. Such is life. But all in all - I'd had 6 interviews total over the two day conference so that's good! Hopefully they will lead to something.

Thanks for asking!

Congrats x2 - interviews and 10 pounds, way to go!!

Juan

Thanks for the support!

HAven't heard from anyone but I'm gonna wait until tomorrow before I start worrying about it. And if nothing comes from this conference - there will be other vacancies! Onward!

Edited by Qua17 2017-02-14 6:55 PM
2017-02-15 7:00 AM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi all! In New Orleans for a conference this week. No workouts yet (foot still tender), but I did find a great beer last night. The Gnarly Barley by the Gnarly Barley brewing co. It was dark, not bitter and the best part was it came in a giant plastic cup I could take to go!! Not kidding, one quart of beer that I took out of the bar and carried to the reception at my conference, where they were charging $12 for a bottle of bud light. I call that a win!

Looks like everyone is training hard--keep it up!!!
2017-02-15 8:20 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hi all! In New Orleans for a conference this week. No workouts yet (foot still tender), but I did find a great beer last night. The Gnarly Barley by the Gnarly Barley brewing co. It was dark, not bitter and the best part was it came in a giant plastic cup I could take to go!! Not kidding, one quart of beer that I took out of the bar and carried to the reception at my conference, where they were charging $12 for a bottle of bud light. I call that a win! Looks like everyone is training hard--keep it up!!!

Absolutely a win!  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Hope the conference doesn't suck away all the fun.

2017-02-15 8:24 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by firebert !

Me - first workout in over a week last night (not counting shoveling snow which we have plenty of).  Quality time on the bike trainer.  I mixed in some actual timed interval efforts.  Still probably not a 'real' trainer workout, at least so the watch tells me - my recovery status was between 'undertrained' and 'balanced'.  I was on for almost an hour and sweating my bum off but the only time I get my HR into Z3 is during the efforts.  I have a much harder time getting the HR up on the bike than I do on the run or in the pool.  Anyone else have this?  I know bike HRs are usually lower but like 5-10bpm for a given zone not 20-25 like me...

Hmm. That makes me wonder if you're working as hard on the bike as you could. I can understand the swimming because you're not Michael Phelps and the run because it's the run but maybe a low hr on the Bike will let you push harder on that segment to improve your time. Just a thought...

One would think...  My perceived effort is high though on the efforts - and I'm sore still a day and a half later so I know I was working.  It's also early in the year, and I haven't been on the bike much yet.  Maybe all that marathon training really paid off and my HR zones have changed.  This time of year is time for all the tests right?

2017-02-15 9:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi all! In New Orleans for a conference this week. No workouts yet (foot still tender), but I did find a great beer last night. The Gnarly Barley by the Gnarly Barley brewing co. It was dark, not bitter and the best part was it came in a giant plastic cup I could take to go!! Not kidding, one quart of beer that I took out of the bar and carried to the reception at my conference, where they were charging $12 for a bottle of bud light. I call that a win!

That's actually a win-win since we get to enjoy it with you (my coach is still telling me no beer)!

ENjoy the conference and hope your foot feels better ASAP!

Edited by Qua17 2017-02-15 9:13 AM
2017-02-15 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hi all! In New Orleans for a conference this week. No workouts yet (foot still tender), but I did find a great beer last night. The Gnarly Barley by the Gnarly Barley brewing co. It was dark, not bitter and the best part was it came in a giant plastic cup I could take to go!! Not kidding, one quart of beer that I took out of the bar and carried to the reception at my conference, where they were charging $12 for a bottle of bud light. I call that a win! Looks like everyone is training hard--keep it up!!!

I'm going to one there in late May - can't wait.  I've never been except swinging through airport.

2017-02-15 9:24 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Hey Dave - I know you've got Boston on the mind, and rightly so!  I just bought a full sleeved wetsuit for the chilly early June spring fed lake water at the Harvest Tri https://maxperformanceonline.com/harvesttri/

Going to register soon I think.  I need to get stuff on the calendar to plan out my offseason workouts based on when my training plan will start.

2017-02-15 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Just posted my 3-week post surgical update on my blog here, long story short progressing but not as fast I as would like (but that's probably my problem LOL).  I see my surgeon Friday and will have a better prognosis at that point.

2017-02-15 9:32 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Just posted my 3-week post surgical update on my blog here, long story short progressing but not as fast I as would like (but that's probably my problem LOL).  I see my surgeon Friday and will have a better prognosis at that point.

Hoping for better news Friday for sure.

At least it's only February.  Something can still be salvaged this season right?

2017-02-15 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hoping for better news Friday for sure.

At least it's only February.  Something can still be salvaged this season right?

Looking towards hitting 2018 relatively pain-free, a plan to manage my chronic back issues (I am almost 50...) and with no restrictions - haven't had that situation since October of 2014.  If I'm riding the bike, walking/hiking, and swimming this summer, I'll consider it a success.  Running takes longer after this surgery - I need to rebuild all of the core strength I've lost over the past few months to be able to stabilize my back while running.  If I can run a 5K by the end of the year and not be worried about it then I'm all good. 

2017-02-15 10:06 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

DeLand, Florida

This surgery is no joke huh?  Makes perfect sense esp with the running.  

Any aquabike races near you late summer?  

2017-02-15 10:41 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

What conference?! My best friend is there for one right now. She's receiving some kind of award.
2017-02-15 10:47 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nicole - almost blew off today's yoga/core workout but didn't want to give you the pleasure of beating me. I may fall short - but it won't be today.

ALthough we need to find a new penalty for me - I can't drink beer or else my trainer will break up with me - I'm liking this challenge. It's on Raven's fan!

Yes! What is the new penalty?! Hopefully neither of us need it, but just in case

Maybe a raw kale penalty? If you miss one you have to eat a bowl of raw kale without dressing.
2017-02-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Boot Camp this morning. It crushed me. I left feeling completely spent and could barely hold the steering wheel (have to hold it at the bottom so my arms rest on my legs...). Did a HIIT cycling class last night too and was definitely feeling it in my legs.

Still haven't bought a trainer. I really need to get on that. Although I'm pretty sure winter is over and I should just suck it up and go outside and bike!

2017-02-15 11:08 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Maybe a raw kale penalty? If you miss one you have to eat a bowl of raw kale without dressing.

Oh MAN!  I'd rather drink a 6 pack of warm coors light than that!  Here's hoping that's the motivation you both need!

2017-02-15 11:29 AM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, California
Another 4:30 am run today. Hate that inhale to be at work by 6:00, but it is what it is.

See a lot of New Orleans chatter. My favorite city in the US. If anyone wants the best po boy samdwhich ever, in a dark nasty place with a scary waitress that does a shot with every table that orders their own shots.... go to Coops. Definitely the opposite of a tourist trap!

Also Jean Lafittes is a must, especially late at night when the old piano guy is playing. For a little fancier dinner Emerils place was fantastic. Think he might have a couple and I forget the one we went to, but can try to do some googling later on.

Man I miss New Orleans!!

-Matt
2017-02-15 11:56 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

Austin, Texas
Way to go everyone at keeping at it.

This week I did a 5k run on Monday with some weight lifting, Tuesday more weights and about 1,100 yards in the pool. It was a bit chilly and I was definitely lacking motivation but glad I did it.

Ate too much Valentines candy yesterday. I can't have that crap in the house. Once I start I can't stop. I am an all or nothing type person so for me to not eat sugar I can't see it. Wish I had more self control in that respect.

Happy humpday, weekend is only a few short days away.
2017-02-15 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

This surgery is no joke huh?  Makes perfect sense esp with the running.  

Any aquabike races near you late summer?  

Eagleman has an aquabike IIRC, but that's in June.

I'll figure out something.  There's a 40K TT I did a couple of years ago in July

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38938 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.