BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-02-15 1:21 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Originally posted by nicole14e Boot Camp this morning. It crushed me. I left feeling completely spent and could barely hold the steering wheel (have to hold it at the bottom so my arms rest on my legs...). Did a HIIT cycling class last night too and was definitely feeling it in my legs. Still haven't bought a trainer. I really need to get on that. Although I'm pretty sure winter is over and I should just suck it up and go outside and bike!

Figure 8 loops in Patterson Park!!  A little boring and teeth-chattering due to the crappy pavement, but that's a good hill workout.

2017-02-15 2:53 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Boot Camp this morning. It crushed me. I left feeling completely spent and could barely hold the steering wheel (have to hold it at the bottom so my arms rest on my legs...). Did a HIIT cycling class last night too and was definitely feeling it in my legs. Still haven't bought a trainer. I really need to get on that. Although I'm pretty sure winter is over and I should just suck it up and go outside and bike!

Figure 8 loops in Patterson Park!!  A little boring and teeth-chattering due to the crappy pavement, but that's a good hill workout.

Yes! I did that once last year and it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. Need to get out there for sure.
2017-02-15 8:14 PM
in reply to: #5213600

User image

, Vermont
Mike, there's an Aquabike in Lake George, NY on Labor Day weekend if that's far enough away for dates but close enough for travel. Look up Lake George Triathlon Festival if you're interested.
2017-02-16 10:39 PM
in reply to: #5213647

User image

, California
45 minute trainer ride after work today. Workout #6 on the week. Friday is a recovery day. Woohoo. Maybe I'll have a bourbon tonight...

-Matt
2017-02-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Played 2 football games last night...it was quite cold. I'm glad all my fingers made it through unscathed. It was touch and go there for a little bit.

Think I am going to do a charity boot camp tonight since I didn't wake up early to get a workout in. Masters tomorrow!

Happy Friday, everyone!
2017-02-17 12:29 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Had a good week of training so far (and it's not over yet), with a completely brutal 5x4' VO2 bike session, a 4x8' threshold bike session, 400 repeats on the track, a bunch of easy runs, and three swims.  This morning's swim didn't feel great (felt like I was carrying a lot of fatigue from the training this week), but I hit the paces that were asked of me.

Tomorrow will be a long ride and Sunday a long run....and to "celebrate", I will have a glass of wine (or two) on National Drink Wine Day tomorrow

2017-02-17 12:35 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by ligersandtions

National Drink Wine Day

That´s the best "... day" ever heard! Good excuse to have a couple wines!
My week has been a bit slow, a mixture of sloth and overworked, but tomorrow will be a long ride (3h), and sunday half marathon train run with no finisher medal but hot dogs and beer. Still on time to catch up and finish a "decent" week.

Juan
2017-02-17 2:28 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Went in for my first post-surgery visit and everything looks good "back" there (I just can't stop doing it...).  I've been cleared to start playing around the in pool and jumping (well, slowly getting onto) a bike and doing whatever I can tolerate.  I'm having a bit of a reaction to the sutures - had hives about a week in and now more swelling than he would expect but he said not to worry about (read:  suck it up, buttercup) and just deal with a little discomfort until it settles down.  My nerve pain is gone completely other than that swelling pushing on stuff.  I'm walking probably 30 minutes/day now plus purposefully going up and down the stairs more than I need to.

My daughter has swim practice tomorrow so I'm going to wade around into the pool for a bit.  Hope the scar doesn't scare anyone.    Then the upright bike and walk on the TM for a few minutes.  Hey - I'm doing a triathlon!!!! 

2017-02-17 2:48 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

That's fantastic news Mike!!

2017-02-17 8:30 PM
in reply to: #5213785

User image

, California
Nicole - crazy week thus far! Nice!

Mike - really good to hear you're coming along so quickly. Sure it doesn't feel as quick to you but seems great from here.

Recovery day today from S/B/R but did 30 minutes each of weights and yoga. Time to finish week 1 strong!

-Matt
2017-02-18 2:13 PM
in reply to: #5213856

User image

, California
How's everyone's weekend going?

Workouts #7 and #8 today. 50' run and 1600yd swim. Both easy.

-Matt

2017-02-18 3:16 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

I agree! So glad you're healing up well and quickly and getting "back" into the saddle
2017-02-18 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

How's everyone's weekend going?

Workouts #7 and #8 today. 50' run and 1600yd swim. Both easy.

-Matt

Good on you! the fact that it's easy means youre ready for the the tougher workouts later in the plan!

I've gotta say I'm a little jealous of you - training for an ironman is hard but crossing that finish line is the absolute best feeling in the world.

2017-02-18 3:31 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Hi all - as you know - I'm running this year's Boston Marathon to raise money for the rehab hospital that treated my son when he fell out of a window when he was three years old. My wife and I have committed to raising $5000 in the next 8 weeks and we really need your help to get the ball rolling.

I'm heading out on my long run (58 days to the Boston Marathon) and hoping to get some friends to sponsor me. For every $25 you donate you get to add a song to my playlist.

https://give.franciscanchildrens.org/events/-/e118481

Thanks a ton for your help! Speaking of a big thanks to John Giza for pledging $50 bucks towards the cause.
2017-02-18 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
For a good chunk of today I was stuck in bed with a migraine. Towards evening, I started feeling better and so I went to the gym for my workout. I was supposed to do an hour and 15 on the treadmill and then 30 minutes on the trainer and then wrap up with 30 minutes of core exercises. So there I am sweating away when all of a sudden the lights go out. Turns out it wasn't a power outage but the gym closing on a Saturday night.

So I only got 30 minutes of my workout in - grr! I'll just do a double workout tomorrow to make up for it.

Prost!
2017-02-19 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by firebert

I agree! So glad you're healing up well and quickly and getting "back" into the saddle

Well played, sir. 

Some details about my first day back at the gym (just copied over from my blog so save you the trouble of going there...):

I had my surgical follow up on Friday.  Progressing well, but the swelling continues back there.  Doc said this is a bit unusual and that I'm probably having some sort of reaction to the sutures or glue they used, and it will eventually subside.  I'm going to go back on hydroxyzine at night to see if that helps.  Surgical site still gets irritated if I rub it or scrape it accidentally, like I did yesterday with the edge of the ice pack. 

I'm cleared to walk, bike indoors, and get in the pool.  Activity level is subject to pain threshold - IOW if it hurts, stop.  Who, me?   I shouldn't need any additional follow up unless there problems 3-4 weeks from now.  I totally forgot to ask about PT, so  will follow up via e-message on the portal.  I want to nail down 5-7 strength exercises that aren't yoga to prevent and future problems and really strengthen my core, and besides, I like the attention. 

Went to the gym for the first time in over six weeks, 15 min easy on the upright bike and then 12 minutes walking at 4% include on the TM.  Really easy zone 1 stuff.  Bike felt fine other than the surgical stuff moving around - couldn've gone harder if I had wanted to.  Walk stiffened up the muscles at about 10 min, so I pushed a little to see if it wouldn't loosen up, it didn't, so I stopped.  YAY me.  Followed that up with walking up and down the stairs a few times - now that started get my HR up a bit.  I'm SO out of shape LOL.  Got on the floor (that was said to watch) and stretch my hamstrings. OUCH!!! that was hard - not on my back but on my hammies.  They're stiff during the best of times, but after 6 weeks of nothing my goodness.  Then I got into the pool (the warm therapy one) and floated around a bit, did some treading water and light kicking and some more stretching - felt just fine.  Again really taking it easy.

So then I go to the sauna to relax for a few minutes, and the guy in there starts up a freakin' political conversation.  Seriously????  Thankfully I more or less aligned to what he was droning on about. 

Drove home and while I was getting out of the car (which is a process, as I have to run my entire body all at once to get out) I caught my foot while spinning out of the car and my low back went POP and hurt like hell for like three hours.  I knew that was inevitable that I would do something like this, but man I was hoping to not do when it's still so sensitive in there.  It eventually settled down and feels just fine today.

Day off today but we're going to walk around Fells Point for a while - back at the gym/bike/TM/pool tomorrow while The Daughter swims.  I have to travel Wed/Thurs this week so I want to be ready for that.

2017-02-19 8:49 AM
in reply to: #5213888

User image

, California
Mike, good to hear you're progressing.

Dave, don't be jealous of anyone, you're doing Boston!!!! Thanks for the link, I'll get on that early this week.

-Matt
2017-02-19 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Mike, good to hear you're progressing.

Dave, don't be jealous of anyone, you're doing Boston!!!! Thanks for the link, I'll get on that early this week.

-Matt

Thanks so much for making a donation! Be sure to tell me what song(s) to add to my playlist for every $25 bucks you give - Please make them good. A friend of my just added a load of bee gee songs (ugh)!
2017-02-19 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Hey Gretchen - how's the conference treating you?
2017-02-19 11:55 AM
in reply to: #5213914

User image

, California
Two hour ride this morning (in the new normal of So Cal rain???). Week 1 complete, 23 weeks to go.

Week totals:
Swim-3, bike-3,run-3, strength-1,yoga-1
Time 8h20m

-Matt
2017-02-19 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
I got to the gym around 1 with the intention of redoing the workout I had started the previous night - 75 minutes on the dreadmill with an elevation of at least 2 and a speed of at least 3.5, then 30 minutes of biking, and then 20 minutes of core work. It was my longest run/walk since I had trained for Boston last year (I ended up getting injured) so I felt good about that. But I couldn't keep a 4 minute per mile walking pace which is the minimum I have to keep in order to finish the marathon in 6.5 hours.

I'm gonna have to run a bit of the race to make sure I finish in time. If I run a 14 minute mile - and that will take some effort for me especially considering my weight and present shape - that will get me to the finish line with 25 minutes to spare.

This knowledge for me is motivation to put everything into every workout. I will get this done because the race is on my bucket list and because I want the yellow jacket that you can get as a finisher.

Onward!

2017-02-19 9:00 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi team,

Long training hours makes for a tired bullfrog... and for less time to post things on the internet.

Anyway, my final big week is complete and in the books, and I'm pretty happy with how it went. I had a total of 14 hours 23 minutes, and hit all the workouts I felt were key. I was 1 run, and 1 swim short on what I had planned, but really I can't complain.

So now I'm going into taper mode for the next 12 days till race time.

My plan (unless the more experienced here give me a better one) is to cut my total down to about half for the week, so about 7 hours, but with some higher intensity efforts sprinkled in. I'm planning something along the lines of;
3 x swim, (30-45) min each.
2 x bike, (1 x 1hr, 1 x 2hr)
4 x run, (3 x 30 min, 1 x 60)
2017-02-19 10:04 PM
in reply to: #5213928

User image

, California
Andrew - this is really exciting to follow. I have no idea about tapering, never having done longer than a Sprint which doesn't require such a thing, but I'll be following the rest of your journey with interest.

-Matt
2017-02-20 7:02 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Andrew - this is really exciting to follow. I have no idea about tapering, never having done longer than a Sprint which doesn't require such a thing, but I'll be following the rest of your journey with interest. -Matt

I've never done anything longer than an Oly, but I was doing 10-12 hour weeks during the peak of that training.  Tapering was about 10 days' worth of reduced volume with some intensity, making sure I slept and ate right, etc.

Be warned - you're going to feel like garbage at some point, maybe even like you're getting sick.  And you will be bouncing off the walls and over-analyzing every little ache in your body.  Taper madness. 

2017-02-20 7:53 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm baaaaaaaccccccckkkkkkk!! Wow--that conference was brutal. Started every day at 7:30 or 8am with a meeting and most days didn't get back to my room until after 10 or 11pm. Skipped lunch every day but one for meetings. Ended up not getting in a single workout while I was away. It was eight days off in a row. I haven't taken that many days off in a row since December 2014.

Up to swim this morning with the masters team. As I expected, it was 45 minutes of me feeling like 1.) I was drowning and 2.) I wasn't going anywhere in the water. Given my times, #2 seems like it was actually happening, not just in my head.

Mike--good to hear you are healing up well and can get in some activity.

Bullfrog--taper can make you crazy. I did a HIM last year with a two week taper before hand. I think the first week was ~75% of the previous week, and the second was ~50% of the first week. Intensity was low to non-existent. Like Mike said, at some point you will become convinced you are getting sick and your whole body is likely to start hurting in one way or another. Just trust in your training and believe it is doing you good. Oh...and it doesn't hurt to have a few low-impact home projects to keep you busy during all that time you would normally be training!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38374 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.