BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-03-29 7:05 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by Qua17

Hi All:

I've got my second to last long run tomorrow and my coach is blessedly splitting it up into 2 90 minute running sessions to help me continue to avoid injury. My back has been killing me so that's a move that makes it happy.

I've still got a ton of money left to raise so I thought I would put out the link again for my Boston Marathon fundraising page. All the money goes to Franciscan Children's Hospital that does some amazing work up here in my neck of the woods and saved my son's life twice (it's a long story). So, please give if you can.

https://give.franciscanchildrens.org/events/-/e118481

Thanks!

DQ

Thanks for the reminder! I just donated! Please let me know if it didn't go through b/c after I submitted it said page not found, but your amount seemed to go up the correct amount.

Good luck in your long run!

Your donation was so nice I might have to rethink the way I view Raven's fans

2017-03-29 7:09 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
TOday's workout was actually two long runs - one in the AM and one in the PM. I'm proud to say that I managed 6 miles right around my target time for both runs. I've got two more hard workouts and then it's taper time, which I hope to say will be magical in terms of giving me the pep in my step to pull off a marathon with only 10 weeks of training.

Prost!

(2 and a half weeks until I can enjoy beer again - man I can't wait!)
2017-03-29 11:05 PM
in reply to: #5216986

User image

, California
Nice job on the runs Dave! You'll get this, I'm sure of it!!

Gretchen - great news about Egypt. Hope it all works out and you can reschedule a season that allows you to not feel like one aspect of your life has to be sacrificed for the other. Time to start looking on the calendar for late fall HIMs!

Came across this article today. Not on that site often but someone sent me this, thought it was interesting.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Opinion/The_Swim_Leg_Reconsidered_6275.ht...

-Matt
2017-03-30 7:28 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Trainer ride this morning that I probably should have skipped. I couldn't get my HR into Z2 to save my life. This is not a good situation for recovery week!! Yesterday was a swim plus I spent about four hours working on the foundation of my house (we have a leak--ugh). That involved a lot of digging and mixing concrete. It was hard work, but I didn't really feel tired last night. This morning was tired, but I got up anyway. I need to listen more to my body!!

Late fall HIMs have already been investigated!! There is on in Indy on 10/1. My wife's sister and her family live right outside Indy, so that might be the natural choice--free room and board the day before/after! I have done races by the company that is putting this one on before. They are okay races, although they do tend to start late (3/3 of the races I've done with them) and during the last one they ran out of food and drinks at the finish line (which would suck after a HIM). Plans are still up in the air, but I've at least identified a potential candidate.
2017-03-30 11:08 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Hi All:

I've got my second to last long run tomorrow and my coach is blessedly splitting it up into 2 90 minute running sessions to help me continue to avoid injury. My back has been killing me so that's a move that makes it happy.

I've still got a ton of money left to raise so I thought I would put out the link again for my Boston Marathon fundraising page. All the money goes to Franciscan Children's Hospital that does some amazing work up here in my neck of the woods and saved my son's life twice (it's a long story). So, please give if you can.

https://give.franciscanchildrens.org/events/-/e118481

Thanks!

DQ

Thanks for the reminder! I just donated! Please let me know if it didn't go through b/c after I submitted it said page not found, but your amount seemed to go up the correct amount.

Good luck in your long run!

Your donation was so nice I might have to rethink the way I view Raven's fans

We aren't all bad!!!
2017-03-30 11:13 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I got some exciting news yesterday! I applied to mentor a refugee, and have officially been approved and they already found me a family! My main mentee will be a 12 yr. old girl from Syria, but she also has 3 siblings, at least 2 of which I will also be spending time with (the oldest is 20). I really hang out with the whole family but am there to help with homework, teaching them English, and just being there for them in this transition. I am SUPER excited. I will get started with them after my trip to Europe in April/May.

I've been very busy lately and am a little anxious fitting this into my schedule weekly, but am very excited to (hopefully) make a positive difference in someone's life.

Hope everyone's weeks are going well!

2017-03-30 5:10 PM

User image

Expert

I got some exciting news yesterday! I applied to mentor a refugee, and have officially been approved and they already found me a family! My main mentee will be a 12 yr. old girl from Syria, but she also has 3 siblings, at least 2 of which I will also be spending time with (the oldest is 20). I really hang out with the whole family but am there to help with homework, teaching them English, and just being there for them in this transition. I am SUPER excited. I will get started with them after my trip to Europe in April/May.

I've been very busy lately and am a little anxious fitting this into my schedule weekly, but am very excited to (hopefully) make a positive difference in someone's life.

Hope everyone's weeks are going well!

Nicole - Good on you for doing something so kind! That family will benefit immeasurably from working with you and I'm sure that their gratitude will outweigh the scheduling conflicts.

Where are you going in Europe?
2017-03-30 5:15 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Trainer ride this morning that I probably should have skipped. I couldn't get my HR into Z2 to save my life. This is not a good situation for recovery week!! Yesterday was a swim plus I spent about four hours working on the foundation of my house (we have a leak--ugh). That involved a lot of digging and mixing concrete. It was hard work, but I didn't really feel tired last night. This morning was tired, but I got up anyway. I need to listen more to my body!!

Late fall HIMs have already been investigated!! There is on in Indy on 10/1. My wife's sister and her family live right outside Indy, so that might be the natural choice--free room and board the day before/after! I have done races by the company that is putting this one on before. They are okay races, although they do tend to start late (3/3 of the races I've done with them) and during the last one they ran out of food and drinks at the finish line (which would suck after a HIM). Plans are still up in the air, but I've at least identified a potential candidate.

HIM is about putting in the time not necessary about hitting the right zone. Good for you for working hard even though you didn't feel like you had zone 2 in you.

As for the food at the HIM - when they handed me an ice cold beer at the finish line of my first HIM, I actually teared up. So as long as they don't run out of beer you should be all set by bringing a few things to munch on just in case.

Still praying for your trip to Egypt!!!
2017-03-30 5:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Rest Day Today. Thank god, sort of. I had a massage (the myofacial release kind - the one that hurts like an SOB) this morning and based upon how much it hurt - it was a good thing to get done. My achilles and feet were like gravel as he rubbed them with his steel blade - just goes to show how hard I have pushed my body in the last three weeks since I last got torn up.

2.5 weeks to Boston. I am so excited! No matter what happens with my time, it's gonna be a great day. And thanks to kind people like you, I should be within a thousand bucks of my $5000 by the end of the weekend. Keep your fingers crossed!

Prost!
DQ

Edited by Qua17 2017-03-30 6:27 PM
2017-03-30 9:48 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Rest Day Today. Thank god, sort of. I had a massage (the myofacial release kind - the one that hurts like an SOB) this morning and based upon how much it hurt - it was a good thing to get done. My achilles and feet were like gravel as he rubbed them with his steel blade - just goes to show how hard I have pushed my body in the last three weeks since I last got torn up.

2.5 weeks to Boston. I am so excited! No matter what happens with my time, it's gonna be a great day. And thanks to kind people like you, I should be within a thousand bucks of my $5000 by the end of the weekend. Keep your fingers crossed!

Prost!
DQ

Good luck for the last little bit of your training. You've put in the work, you can do it. And the adrenaline of running boston will definitely give you the boost you need to make your time.
2017-03-30 9:50 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Early morning brick (32 bike/11 run) this morning during recovery week. Later this afternoon I'll make up yesterday's short run (another 32 min). I just didn't get home early enough yesterday to get it in before the evening chores set in. Good news is that my project will be done today!! Barring discovery of any disastrous mistakes during a final review, I should be able to submit my dossier this afternoon. It is 321 pages long. To put that in perspective, my dissertation was 215 pages. It will be good to have this off my plate!!

Congratulations on getting that finished. Sounds like it was a massive job. Must feel great to have that monkey off your back.

2017-03-30 9:59 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Not a lot to report from NZ at the moment, last week I finished up with 5 half hour runs, and a 75 minute social paced ride with a friend.

So far this week 3 half hour runs with the dog, looking to do a 45 minute 'long run' tonight, and a 90 minute ride saturday. Possibly a half hour run on Sunday, but will see how the weekend goes.

a 4 hour training week has me feeling like a bit of a sloth, but I am enjoying not having to get up every morning at the crack of dawn to do a workout. And I know the wife is enjoying having me not spend 6 hours a day on the weekend away from home on my bike.

Have a good weekend and train well everyone.
2017-03-31 6:49 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

Prost!
DQ

Good luck for the last little bit of your training. You've put in the work, you can do it. And the adrenaline of running boston will definitely give you the boost you need to make your time.

Thanks Andrew! Love your new profile pic!
2017-03-31 10:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Not a lot to report from NZ at the moment, last week I finished up with 5 half hour runs, and a 75 minute social paced ride with a friend. So far this week 3 half hour runs with the dog, looking to do a 45 minute 'long run' tonight, and a 90 minute ride saturday. Possibly a half hour run on Sunday, but will see how the weekend goes. a 4 hour training week has me feeling like a bit of a sloth, but I am enjoying not having to get up every morning at the crack of dawn to do a workout. And I know the wife is enjoying having me not spend 6 hours a day on the weekend away from home on my bike. Have a good weekend and train well everyone.

Enjoy the down time and take it easy.  IM training and racing takes a while to fully recover from.

By the way, I call 4 hours/week training "how normal people work out". 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2017-03-31 10:25 AM
2017-03-31 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e I got some exciting news yesterday! I applied to mentor a refugee, and have officially been approved and they already found me a family! My main mentee will be a 12 yr. old girl from Syria, but she also has 3 siblings, at least 2 of which I will also be spending time with (the oldest is 20). I really hang out with the whole family but am there to help with homework, teaching them English, and just being there for them in this transition. I am SUPER excited. I will get started with them after my trip to Europe in April/May. I've been very busy lately and am a little anxious fitting this into my schedule weekly, but am very excited to (hopefully) make a positive difference in someone's life. Hope everyone's weeks are going well!

That is so cool.  I bet it will be really rewarding and will give you completely new perspective.

2017-03-31 10:32 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So Gretchen is going to Egypt, Nicole is going to Europe, and my vacation is two hours from here.  What the heck am I doing wrong here? 

2017-03-31 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

So Gretchen is going to Egypt, Nicole is going to Europe, and my vacation is two hours from here.  What the heck am I doing wrong here? 

Oh, and my daughter leaves for Europe on her school trip in a couple of weeks.  :-/

2017-03-31 11:26 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, California
I currently don't have a vacation planned Mike, so don't feel bad!

Had a nice brick workout today after work. 1h15m ride / 30m run. Looking forward to a big weekend of training mixed with family time. What's everyone else got on tap?

-Matt
2017-04-02 6:54 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 I currently don't have a vacation planned Mike, so don't feel bad! Had a nice brick workout today after work. 1h15m ride / 30m run. Looking forward to a big weekend of training mixed with family time. What's everyone else got on tap? -Matt

Dude, you live in California.  Every day is a vacation. 

2017-04-02 2:01 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Tavo2311 I currently don't have a vacation planned Mike, so don't feel bad! Had a nice brick workout today after work. 1h15m ride / 30m run. Looking forward to a big weekend of training mixed with family time. What's everyone else got on tap? -Matt

x2
2017-04-02 3:16 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Where are you going in Europe?

Lisbon for a morning, Rome, a volleyball camp in a little beach town on the east coast of Italy (Silvi Marina), back to Rome for a night, then fly to Valencia (where I will hopefully get to meet up with Juan!).

2017-04-02 7:46 PM
in reply to: #5217342

User image

, California
Finished a 3h15m ride today. Now, cycling isn't my strong suit (not sure I have a STRONG suit, but I digress)... the ride was slow and painful. It only wound up being 44 miles because I did one brutal climb. I think the total elevation climbed for the ride was 1700 feet, about 1100 of it straight up with no relief. Speaking of no relief, once I was off the hilly area and back to the beach he wind was against in all four directions somehow!! I'm hoping this one today makes a huge contribution to increased bike-muscles.

Opted for a family walk as opposed to the 30min recovery run the plan called for.

7 weeks done, 17 to go!

-Matt
2017-04-03 8:30 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

Traveling for work in KL, but fortunately nice park in front of the convention center and nice pool in the hotel, so 1h run in a hot, humid climate - tomorrow planning for a 1h swim and then 1h run afterwards (no long bike this weekend, but "Tiger" beer will be a good substitute).

Gretchen - glad you are back on track on your Egypt program, must be really exciting to do research over there!

Nicole - so proud of you, for our whatever comes out of this cooperation with the refugee family will be either great or excellent; sure they will never forget it, but you will feel so good...we need more people like you with your generosity! I will contact you privately to share emails and phone numbers so we can get in touch while in Spain - it would be great to meet you in person!

DQ - cannot do a donation from Europe (link does not work), anyway to do it some other way?

Andrew, agree with Mike: 4h per week is considered "normal" in the real world.

By the way, I just bought the book "Accidental ironman: how triathlon ruined my life" by Martyn Brunt, just hilarious!!! If you want to laugh loud, give it a try.

Juan

2017-04-03 9:47 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Juan, sounds good! I will keep an eye out for your message!

Just signed up for a swim meet this weekend. It's a 3 day Zone meet down in VA. I am only going on Saturday, swimming the 100 fr, 100 bk and 200 IM, and probably some relays. Excited for it, although I did not go to practice at all last week so need to get a swim in sometime this week for sure.
2017-04-03 1:34 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
AAAAHHHHHHH!!!! Egypt is a go!!! Leaving early next week (assuming I can get a ticket for less than a billion dollars) and will be there until mid-June!! Now that I have permission, I have so much stuff to get done between then an now!

Before all heck broke loose this morning I hit Masters for a swim. Unfortunately, Coach was in a talkitive mood this morning and I only managed to get in 1100m before I had to get out. My folks are in town to attend an award ceremony where I'll be receiving the College of Liberal Arts "Mentor of the Year" award! I had to get home to make my dad coffee before he tried himself and broke our Keurig (he is totally old school!!). So, short swim this morning. With all the preparations to make, I doubt I'll be getting in much training over the next few days. And...in Egypt...only running (and yoga!).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38440 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.