BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-04-28 11:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Here is a picture of me in my grave pit on Thursday. Note: I am 6'3" tall. This is one ridiculously deep pit!!

I'll try to upload a few pictures. The internet is spotty and ridiculously slow out here in the desert, so it might not be possible.

Edited by drfoodlove 2017-04-28 11:28 AM

(IMG_0138.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0138.JPG (3156KB - 5 downloads)

2017-04-28 12:00 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by lowdon

Haha, that IS TRUE!

Ok then I'll just chug through. Should I give it 2 or 3 days rest? (I'm thinking 2 is enough)

I've always had success taking the day off two days before the race (so, Thursday for a Saturday race) and then do a short workout the day before on all three disciplines with like 5-10 minutes total at race pace.  Some people don't take days off at all...guess we're all experiments of one.

Same for me actually, and I didn't do this last year, and didn't have the same success...  Hmmm...

2017-04-28 11:39 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, California
How's everyone's weekend looking?

Thanks for the pic Gretchen, cool to see.

Dave still can't see race report and Nicole still don't see a date report!

I have a truly big weekend ahead before I hit another recovery week. Ocean swim in the morning, 2 hour Run afternoon, then 4 hour ride Sunday morning and 30 minute recovery jog if I can fit it in.

Friday is my rest day so I am sitting home with a Kona brewing company Toasted Coconut Ale right now. Cheers!

-Matt
2017-04-29 6:41 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Here is a picture of me in my grave pit on Thursday. Note: I am 6'3" tall. This is one ridiculously deep pit!!

I'll try to upload a few pictures. The internet is spotty and ridiculously slow out here in the desert, so it might not be possible.

Great picture Gretchen!

Just back from another trip, only running but this time on the street and good weather (much, much better than any treadmill). Ahead 5h ride tomorrow morning, may be a 1h run this afternoon, if not, will move it to Monday (rest day). Only 2 months for the IM Austria, panic starting to get in my veins....
Matt, glad to see your consistency, helps me get out of the lazy zone!

Juan
2017-04-30 4:45 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Cool photo Gretchen. That sure is the desert. Enjoy the experience.

So, I ran a 5km race on the weekend, and it wasn't great.

The race was race 2 of a 6 race series, and located about a 5 minute drive from home. I made the decision to race about an hour before the start after checking out the weather. Fair weather runner that I am. The course is a pretty tough little run, it's 2 laps mainly on a gravel path, with 3 short but quite steep climbs per lap. So I knew that the course would end up with a slower time than an ideal run, but I was expecting less than 30 minutes, probably in the 29 minute range.

The plan was to do the first lap even with, or just ahead of the 6min/km pace runner, and try to run a negative split. Anyway, long story short, the first 3km were great, I was 17:57 at the 3k mark, all ready to try an push on in the last few km. But the 2nd time up the biggest of the climbs I just hit the wall something terrible. I had to walk up. Walking in a 5km... terrible. And after that the legs were dead, my pace slowed by a minute/km or so and although I tried to make up some time there was just nothing left. And I finished in 32:40 (Note the course was 230m long, I was 31:21 through 5km, but still)

So after expecting to be under 30 minutes at worst, and probably setting a 5km PB (currently 29:45) I was quite disappointed.

So maybe it was those nasty little hills, maybe I'm not as fit as I think I am, or maybe it just wasn't my day. Or more likely a combination of all 3.

Either way, Now I have to do the 3rd race in 3 weeks time and have another crack.
2017-05-01 10:40 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew--sorry to hear about your 5K, lots of things can affect performance, so don't beat yourself up too much!

Up bright and early (4:30) to hit the road for a quick 2mile run. Then, 30 minutes of yoga before the day began.

2017-05-01 11:31 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Juancho Great picture Gretchen! Just back from another trip, only running but this time on the street and good weather (much, much better than any treadmill). Ahead 5h ride tomorrow morning, may be a 1h run this afternoon, if not, will move it to Monday (rest day). Only 2 months for the IM Austria, panic starting to get in my veins.... Matt, glad to see your consistency, helps me get out of the lazy zone! Juan

Juan - this is getting real real!  Two months!!  You've got this just keep at it.

2017-05-01 11:32 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

Andrew - sounds like a classic bonk from where I'm sitting.  Been there myself only thankfully on a workout day and not a race day.  You've got the next race in the series after proper rest and better nutrition, which for a 5k, really isn't much other than making sure your glycogen stores are topped off.

2017-05-01 12:30 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, folks.  April is in the books for 15.5 hours or 260 miles of cycling, for about 190 total TSS, which is something like my 7th or 8th highest monthly total in the six years I've been tracking this stuff.  Also a whopping 600 yards or swimming.  If you want to call it that.    Still not really safe to ride outdoors yet; I'm not worried about wrecking or anything, I just still don't have my full range of motion back and you kinda need that outdoors. Hoping by the end of this month.  I found the pool and first two "swims" were more like just floating around kicking a bit and the third I swam a couple hundred yards of free and back.  I'm also finally able to do some longer walking - up to three miles now.  Still some pain but slowly progressing better, and I'm also ramping up the PT and core work.  Oh, and I'm still fat.  

I'm in Atlanta this week at an internal company/departmental conference, plus I have a cold, AND I need a recovery week, so taking a couple of the days totally off and backing down the volume the rest of the week.

@Gretchen - your trip looks really cool so far.  Keep up the o-dark-thirty workouts!

@Andrew - bummer on blowing up - we've ALL done that before.  I find that 5ks are the toughest to pace of anything I've ever raced - you need to really know what you're capable of AND be willing to suffer A LOT, in order to succeed at that distance.  Steep hills make it even more complicated, especially for bigger guys like us.  Find a flat one.  LOL

2017-05-01 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

You just raced an Ironman less than two months ago....so you were trained for long distance (not short, practically sprinting 5k's!), took some time for recovery, took some time to get back into a good routine, and maybe aren't fully recharged yet.  I don't know what your season looked like leading into IMNZ, but I know that after a long season of racing, I'm not ready to jump back into racing and really hurt again.  Maybe you had an off day and maybe your brain and body just didn't want to suffer the way a 5k requires of you.  There's no shame in that -- learn whatever you can from that race and apply it to future endeavors!

2017-05-01 12:59 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Mike way to stay with it!  Getting taken out by injury or surgery and the like - it's miserable.  It wears you down because you really want to be doing the things, and you're not allowed to do the things.  And even when you try to do the things, your body won't let you.  

2017-05-01 1:04 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

DeLand, Florida

Just made an appt with my primary care on Thursday.  Complete lack of energy the last couple weeks, which came on all of a sudden.  I get lightheaded standing up, can't walk up stairs or heaven forbid carry anything up them without getting winded, can't complete workouts, can't get enough sleep...  I don't know what's wrong with me but there isn't a thing about it that's normal for me.  Couple weekends back I figured I just had a virus and needed some extra rest, which I gave myself.  But it's still going strong, and I don't have any other symptoms...  In previous seasons even when I've overtrained I've never experienced this.

BTW my watch still says I'm undertrained - LOL

2017-05-02 3:54 PM

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Sorry to hear that John! Hope it is nothing serious & that you're just in need of some rest 

---

I have been getting ready for my first sprint next week, which I finally checked the times for & it turns out that it is a 'super' sprint, so 300m / 9km / 3 km. I had been preparing for a normal sprint so I'm feeling it will be fine, but I imagine it is going to get hectic! Do people just gun it at those distances? 

Also, this 'sprint' was supposed to be in mental preparation for my Olympic Tri in 5 weeks, which right now I am not feeling very confident about. The cycle will be no problem, but I'm still not there with the non-stop 1500 & no open water practice at all. Basically I'm getting a bit nervous about it & thinking of reducing to a normal sprint. Actually, I don't EVEN HAVE A WETSUIT

Is this just normal cold-feet or really it is better to feel confident. 

2017-05-04 2:48 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by firebert

Just made an appt with my primary care on Thursday.  Complete lack of energy the last couple weeks, which came on all of a sudden.  I get lightheaded standing up, can't walk up stairs or heaven forbid carry anything up them without getting winded, can't complete workouts, can't get enough sleep...  I don't know what's wrong with me but there isn't a thing about it that's normal for me.  Couple weekends back I figured I just had a virus and needed some extra rest, which I gave myself.  But it's still going strong, and I don't have any other symptoms...  In previous seasons even when I've overtrained I've never experienced this.

BTW my watch still says I'm undertrained - LOL

Not good John to feel like that, but sounds like a virus to me -good you are seeing your doc, hope all goes well and get back on track soon!

Juan
2017-05-04 2:51 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by bulfrog.

So many things can go wrong in a day, but I would guess a) you are trained for endurance, and that was a sprint race with hills, and b) your brain is trained as well for endurance, and that also makes a huge difference. Some workouts you feel extremely well and some other just miserable...
No big deal, still you-are-an-IM....many of us are not! (yet)

Juan
2017-05-04 2:53 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

LOL

Hang in there, Mike - avoid frustration with small rewards (good beer, nice wines...) and slowly you will be back again training at usual speed.

Juan

2017-05-04 2:55 PM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

New user
Madrid

You´ll be fine Ben - I still remember my first Sprint, only 4 years ago, I thought I would not be able to finish it....then came Olys, Halfs and now training for an IM and have exactly the same feeling: will I make to the finish line?? This is it.

Juan
2017-05-04 5:12 PM

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Originally posted by Juancho

You´ll be fine Ben - I still remember my first Sprint, only 4 years ago, I thought I would not be able to finish it....then came Olys, Halfs and now training for an IM and have exactly the same feeling: will I make to the finish line?? This is it. Juan

Cheers Juan. That makes sense

Actually, coming back to this thread I just realised that I have been prevaricating about getting a wetsuit, which is silly as it will no doubt help buoyancy in the water, doh. SO, next week (when I'm back from a work trip) I'll get one & start training in it. 

Gonna do this thing :D

2017-05-04 10:28 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Thanks for the 5k feedback everyone. You've all backed up what I was thinking. Lets see how I do in the next one, in a couple of weeks.
2017-05-04 10:33 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I have been getting ready for my first sprint next week, which I finally checked the times for & it turns out that it is a 'super' sprint, so 300m / 9km / 3 km. I had been preparing for a normal sprint so I'm feeling it will be fine, but I imagine it is going to get hectic! Do people just gun it at those distances? 

I've never done a 'super sprint' distance myself, but at those distances my advise is full throttle, redline the whole way. It should be fun.
Good luck.

But a warning for you, once you've done 1 tri, you'll find one is never enough...
2017-05-05 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by lowdon I have been getting ready for my first sprint next week, which I finally checked the times for & it turns out that it is a 'super' sprint, so 300m / 9km / 3 km. I had been preparing for a normal sprint so I'm feeling it will be fine, but I imagine it is going to get hectic! Do people just gun it at those distances? 
I've never done a 'super sprint' distance myself, but at those distances my advise is full throttle, redline the whole way. It should be fun. Good luck. But a warning for you, once you've done 1 tri, you'll find one is never enough...

Yeah, those super sprints HURT.  But in a good way.  Sort of . 

2017-05-07 3:31 PM

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Did it! My first & it was a bit of an adventure

I was 3 minutes late for the 'everyman' group & almost ducked out, but then asked if I could get bumped onto one of the other races... They looked & the only one that I could join was the Elite group, the POWERMAN! 60 people.. a couple of ex-Olympians 1 Paralympian in the group. This was my first, but what could go wrong, so of course I accepted

We started & about 40m into the first lap I panicked in the pack & took in some water.. Slowed off.. got to the end & thought "steady does it", so switched to to breast stroke & came in 2nd from finish :/ . The bike run was good though & I ran my best time for the run section. Overall I came 54th out of the group. To be honest I was just happy to finish! But then, because I'm a nerd I decided to combine the numbers from the everyman group and see how I would have done overall. That made it about 70th out of 120, which is a bit better considering my terrible start

Simply, I need to get my act into gear if I'm going to be ready for the Olympic in a month. I'm going to focus on some long swims & regular 10k runs. I have my 350km ride in 2 weeks, so I think that will be enough training for the middle section

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for the great support!

2017-05-07 8:59 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Did it! My first & it was a bit of an adventure

Congratulations, Triathlete.
2017-05-08 1:27 PM

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Cheers Andrew

2017-05-11 1:40 PM

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Hi all- Any tips on improving my swimming power & stamina in 4 weeks other than just swimming more regularly? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38364 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.