BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-07-03 10:38 AM
in reply to: #5223579

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Congrats again, Juan!! You look so happy in those photos!

2000m swimming with masters this morning, followed by a three mile run with the pup. Now I have to go buy my wildlife refuge sticker so I can park near the ows spot. Tomorrow our masters group is doing an ows because the pool is closed. It will be my first since my last race in September of last year!

2017-07-03 12:19 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, California
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Matt--how'd the big training day go?

Went great thanks for asking! First century ride in the books, sandwiched between the hour swim and hour run. The bike was much slower than I expect the race to go, but we were up against a couple different challenges that really slowed us down. I was very happy the way I felt on the run for 6 miles after 8+ hours of exercise. I know thats nowhere near the marathon distance, but encouraging nonetheless. And recovery wise I feel great. Passed out pretty early last night but work up today with barely a sore muscle and none of my aches that sometimes accompany training. A great confidence building day all around.

Today is my 13 year anniversary. A well deserved off day from exercise and date night with the wife. We kinda forget what each other looks like lately!

Good plans for the 4th anyone?

- Matt
2017-07-04 11:55 AM
in reply to: #5223594

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy 4th Beer Drinkers!!

I took advantage of the day off. Quick bike ride and brick run (45/15) this morning and then after a short break I went on my first ows since last September. Nice mile swim broken into two halves (swim across, rest a little, swim back across) with some fun folks.

To celebrate 'Merica, I picked up a six pack of Elliot Ness American Ale. I don't think I've tried this one before. I'm looking forward to it.
2017-07-04 4:20 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Gretchen!

Matt, seems like you are there already. Confidence is key for execution on race day, and you are almost done with your training. Hope you had a nice 13th anniversary!

Hope you all had a nice 4th - I used to live in New Haven (CT) and remember this day a great party day with good friends and cheap beer (student times...)

Juan
2017-07-04 6:45 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Congratulations on your Ironman, Juan. Those pictures are awesome and I can't wait to read the RR.
2017-07-04 9:45 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Great photos Juan! What an achievement.

And with enough energy to jump over the finish line, I think you can rest assured you weren't 'under trained'

2017-07-05 8:15 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Not going to lie, it was a struggle to get up this morning. We had fireworks going on here most of the night. Couple that with a large dog who is terrified of loud noises and it doesn't equal a great night of sleep. But, I did get up and on the bike this morning for an hour. On tap later this afternoon is a swim and some strength training.
2017-07-05 3:23 PM
in reply to: #5223656

User image

, California
How was the American Ale Gretchen?

-Matt
2017-07-05 4:30 PM
in reply to: #5223731

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
It was pretty good--after I got past the first drink. At first sip I thought it was the worst ale I've ever tried!! Then I looked at the bottle and realize it was a lager. After I adjusted my expectations, is was pretty good.
2017-07-06 8:16 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2050 yds with masters team this morning. We did a ladder of 400s (16 25s, 8 50s, etc.). It was fun, but tiring!! I'm going to make a new rule at masters that the guy wearing what we call "fast pants" (essentially wetsuit swim trunks) doesn't get to set the swim intervals!! I'm pooped!

One hour run on tap for after work. Hoping the rain either holds off until this evening or moves through early. As of right now, it is scheduled to hit right as I want to run!
2017-07-07 1:48 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Here is my RR from IM Austria - great day. Enjoy the weekend, happy training!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=284...

Juan

2017-07-07 3:45 PM
in reply to: #5223739

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Juan--did you make your race report public? I tried to read it, but keep getting a log in screen that then just takes me back to the group. I'm on my phone, but not through the app. I think we had this issue last summer too!
2017-07-07 3:47 PM
in reply to: #5223896

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
30 miles on the bike today. Longest distance in a long time. Followed up with a 30' brick run that was just plain torture. It was straight up noon. My watch died during the bike, so I had no metrics. The sun was blazing down and it is the hottest day we've had for a while. Just plain torture. But...done.

2017-07-08 9:04 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Juan--did you make your race report public? I tried to read it, but keep getting a log in screen that then just takes me back to the group. I'm on my phone, but not through the app. I think we had this issue last summer too!

Just checked Gretchen, and as far as I can see it is public - let me know if you cannot get through.

Sounds like a tough run today, but congrats, done!

Did my first training after the IM: I have been looking at several web pages on "what to do after and IM" and after reading several I found the one that fitted best with my actual state, that almost forbid me to do anything this week. (http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/you-finished-an-ironman-now-what-876138?page=2) I have been sleeping a lot, and today went for a half an hour swim, easy, not speed check, just 30 min swim - felt like holidays!! Next week plan to swim and bike, and start running again after 3 weeks. Seems quite lazy, but I am in the perfect mood for that.

Juan
2017-07-08 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Juan, go for a walk  Walking is the most underrated form of exercise and recovery!  Granted, I've never done an IM, but I fall into a bad habit of wanting to get back into training too quickly so I don't lose fitness, but it's a recipe for burn out and injury.  Give yourself enough time to recover and be hungry to train some more.  And I was able to find your RR....heading over to read now.  Nice race!

2017-07-08 11:20 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I had a four hour ride on my schedule this morning, so I started at 6:15 (it's stupidly hot and humid all the time in Houston, so I try to get it knocked out before the worst of it hits...) and less than 30 minutes into my ride, two dogs came out from under the fence and were bee-lining right toward me.  I swerved to try to avoid them, but unfortunately still went down.  I'm a little banged up (some road rash and a couple deeper wounds) and my poor bike isn't looking good....shifter snapped off and the frame may be cracked, so I'm heading to the LBS to get it looked at and figure out if it's fixable or not.

I did file a police report and will hopefully get the owner to reimburse me (he was not home, but his gardener was there, so I have his number and the police will be issuing a citation and telling him that if he squares everything up with me that he'll only get a warning).  I'm getting the word out to people who cycle in the area as well -- the officer was very adamant that we need to be reporting any time dogs are outside of the yard, whether they chase or not....they take it seriously and will issue tickets to people who are not following leash laws.  

It's always a bummer to crash, and it sucks because my training and build toward 70.3 WC was going so well, but I'm grateful it happened now instead of a month from now.....and that it wasn't worse.  We'll see when I'm able to run and/or bike....assume swimming is out for a few days until the wounds at least scab over. 

2017-07-08 11:25 PM
in reply to: #5223897

User image

, California
Gretchen - way to get through the hellos he workout.

Juan - thanks for the report going to read it now with a new IPA the local guy recommended.

Nicole - so sorry to read about your crash. It is my worst nightmare right now. It sounds like you have the right attitude - could've been both worse injuries and worse timing. So keep the head up. Plenty of time to get back in the saddle (pun intended) and be ready for Worlds.

I just finished my last long run. 16 miles. I can't believe my last long run is done!!! 6 hour bike in the morning that I'm looking forward to. Hope everyone else is having a good weekend.

-Matt
2017-07-09 4:08 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

New user
Madrid

Thanks Nicole for the feedback - and wow, that was bad luck!! Hope you recover soon and does not affect too much your season.

Matt, almost there!!

Juan

2017-07-09 5:18 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Juan, nice race report. it sounds like you had a pretty good day out there. well done! Enjoy the rest and recovery before jumping back into things, your body needs a break after what you've just put it through.

Nicole, it's good to see that you got away with only minor injuries after that. That's a pretty horrible experience. hopefully your bike isn't terminal and you're not derailed for too long. Good luck on your recovery, and I hope it doesn't ruin too much of your 70.3 training.
2017-07-10 7:48 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole--that sounds super scary! I'm glad you are alright! Having the bike out of commission sucks. I had a minor wreck on the last long ride of my training plan for my HIM last year. No real damage to me (scrapes and bruises) or my bike, but just having to take it in and have it out of my control was nerve wracking! I feel your pain on that one!

I don't think I've logged on for a while. Had a pretty good weekend of training. Friday was long bike, followed by a brick run and some yoga. Saturday was long run, followed by a quick bike and then a bonus swim! I love bonus swims! During my bike ride, which was supposed to be a high cadence recovery ride after the long run, I realized by front derailleur wouldn't shift into the high gears (little ring). I don't normally use the small ring unless the hill is huge and there aren't many huge hills around here, so I didn't notice it until Saturday's high rpm ride. Anyway, off to the bike shop I went. I figured, as long as I was out at about noon on Saturday, might as well go for a quick swim! Bike just needed some grease (I'm mechanically inept!) and I was in and out of the shop in 15 minutes.

This morning's masters swim was a total waste of time. Many in teh group are going to a meet this Saturday, so they spent an inordinate amount of time practicing going off the blocks. I'm not going to the meet, so no blocks for me. I ended up standing on the pool deck for 15 minutes! We did manage 1000m before I had to leave, but I'm just annoyed by the coach.
2017-07-10 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole - Yikes, I'm glad you're OK.  Make sure to take good care of those wounds or they could get infected (don't ask me how I know ).  I love dogs but they just scare the $h!t out of me when I'm riding.  You're so defenseless.

Hope the bike is OK, too.

2017-07-10 4:42 PM
in reply to: #5223950

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I had a great afternoon run today after work. I did it at the gym inside due to excessive heat warnings here. Nice pace. Felt really good. Followed it up with some strength training as long as I was at the gym. Now I'm making home made snickers bars for my moms birthday. They are her favorite. Fortunately I'm taking the whole pan there and not keeping them here. I can't control myself around them. They are so good!!!
2017-07-11 12:08 AM
in reply to: #5224054

User image

, California
Finished my last long ride on Sunday. Wasn't without issue though luckily nothing too big. The front derailleur stopped shifting into the little ring about 3.5 hours into a planned 6 hour ride. I was thankfully out of the hilly section and headed towards home (I was gonna pass home and finish ride in the other direction). So I cut the ride down to 4.5 hours and took the bike to the shop. Getting the bike out of the car the rear tire just popped! Not a big deal but cmon?! Wasn't my day. But kept telling myself it was better than before the race rehearsal day last weekend which had a lot of planning, and better than on race day. Better at hour 4 than hour 1...just keeping positive.

Final peak week of my plan is here. Tough run and swim each done today. Few more workouts until taper!!

-Matt
2017-07-11 8:18 AM
in reply to: #5224076

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short bike run brick this morning, followed by a little yoga. I'm off today to visit my parents for a few days, so workouts are kind of up in the air. I am taking swim, bike, and run gear though, so something will happen. I'm just not entirely sure what yet.
2017-07-11 2:28 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Finished my last long ride on Sunday. Wasn't without issue though luckily nothing too big. The front derailleur stopped shifting into the little ring about 3.5 hours into a planned 6 hour ride. I was thankfully out of the hilly section and headed towards home (I was gonna pass home and finish ride in the other direction). So I cut the ride down to 4.5 hours and took the bike to the shop. Getting the bike out of the car the rear tire just popped! Not a big deal but cmon?! Wasn't my day. But kept telling myself it was better than before the race rehearsal day last weekend which had a lot of planning, and better than on race day. Better at hour 4 than hour 1...just keeping positive. Final peak week of my plan is here. Tough run and swim each done today. Few more workouts until taper!! -Matt

You shouldn't be using the little ring. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38690 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.