BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-07-20 12:47 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
It is noon and I'm wearing my fourth outfit of the day (fifth if you count swimsuit). I hate humidity!

1 hour run this morning that was more of a slog fest than anything else. It was just gross and I wasn't fast and just ugh!! After that I had to run over to my research facility and mow the grass before it got ridiculously hot. The joy there is that I have to wear long pants, boot, and long sleeves to protect against snakes, ticks, and poison ivy. Next was the gym for some weight lifting, followed by a short 1400yd swim. Yep, four outfits by noon.

Anyone racing this weekend?!?!

2017-07-20 6:21 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by drfoodloveIt is noon and I'm wearing my fourth outfit of the day (fifth if you count swimsuit). I hate humidity! 1 hour run this morning that was more of a slog fest than anything else. It was just gross and I wasn't fast and just ugh!! After that I had to run over to my research facility and mow the grass before it got ridiculously hot. The joy there is that I have to wear long pants, boot, and long sleeves to protect against snakes, ticks, and poison ivy. Next was the gym for some weight lifting, followed by a short 1400yd swim. Yep, four outfits by noon. Anyone racing this weekend?!?!
Now THAT is a morning. :-)No racing for me, obviously, but I'm shooting for 40+ miles on the bike Saturday and walking/hiking 6 miles on Sunday.
2017-07-21 6:00 AM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Looking down the barrel of a four hour brick. Just waiting for the sun to fully rise to head out before we start to bake, or maybe it is baste with the projected humidity. What's everyone have on tap for today?
2017-07-21 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Looking down the barrel of a four hour brick. Just waiting for the sun to fully rise to head out before we start to bake, or maybe it is baste with the projected humidity. What's everyone have on tap for today?

Planned day off for me - my first in two weeks.  I'm traveling back home from CT later today.  

It's even hot here, for goodness' sake.  97 and humid in B-more today and this weekend.  I'd better get riding early.

2017-07-21 12:42 PM
in reply to: #5224743

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
3:15 bike followed by 30' brick run. By the time I got to the run it was 98F. Needless to say, it sucked! Bike wasn't bad until last half hour when my saddle just didn't seem comfortable anymore! I followed it up with my first ever ice bath!! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I don't think I had enough ice to really get the water temp down enough. My thermometer said it was 65F. I'm giving ice baths a shot, even though the research is inconclusive. I've noticed my legs feel a lot better if I can get to the pool after a log bike or run, so this is just a more extreme version of that.
2017-07-22 12:05 PM
in reply to: #5224779

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Two hour run this morning followed by a one hour high cadence spin. Run was hot and muggy, even starting at 6am (already 81f, feels like 86f). Run was okay, for the conditions. Came home, had some breakfast and then started my trainer ride. Seven minutes in, flat. WTF?!?! A flat?!? On the trainer?!?! I had just put back on my trainer tire. I guess I got the tube pinched between the wheel and tire. I changed the tire and finished the ride. No more flats! The only thing that got me back on that bike was the knowledge that that ride was the only thing standing between me and a perfect training week, where I hit every workout.

2017-07-22 11:58 PM
in reply to: #5224829

User image

, California
Nice job hitting every workout Gretchen. A flat on a trainer! ????. That would frustrate me too!!

I've been MIA a bit. My 6 year old's health problems that we thought we were in the clear from a couple months ago have resurfaced in the last couple weeks. There's been a lot of doctors visits and procedures and general life stress and not a lot of training at all. Not sure what's happening from here. Ironman Santa Rosa is a week from today. Current schedule is to leave Wednesday morning, but we have a doctors appt Tuesday that will likely determine if and when we head up. My wife says we are going 100% no matter what. But this isn't a 5k. I don't know if I can get through this if I'm not 100% focused mentally and physically. Even though I do know it might be more important now than ever to show the boys that you never ever stop fighting through hurdles... I don't know.

Anyway, sorry to be such a downer in a Triathlon forum. Just wanted to explain my absence and vent a little. Hope everyone's weekend is going great.

-Matt
2017-07-23 5:54 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Nice job hitting every workout Gretchen. A flat on a trainer! ????. That would frustrate me too!! I've been MIA a bit. My 6 year old's health problems that we thought we were in the clear from a couple months ago have resurfaced in the last couple weeks. There's been a lot of doctors visits and procedures and general life stress and not a lot of training at all. Not sure what's happening from here. Ironman Santa Rosa is a week from today. Current schedule is to leave Wednesday morning, but we have a doctors appt Tuesday that will likely determine if and when we head up. My wife says we are going 100% no matter what. But this isn't a 5k. I don't know if I can get through this if I'm not 100% focused mentally and physically. Even though I do know it might be more important now than ever to show the boys that you never ever stop fighting through hurdles... I don't know. Anyway, sorry to be such a downer in a Triathlon forum. Just wanted to explain my absence and vent a little. Hope everyone's weekend is going great. -Matt

Bummer, Matt.  That's what we're here for - the successes and the struggles.  I hope your little one is OK.  Good luck at Santa Rosa (that's the one IM I've always wanted to do...) if that's what you decide to go with.

2017-07-23 5:56 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Great job getting all the training in, Gretchen.  A flat on the trainer??  That's worse than my flat in the driveway!

It was cooking here yesterday, too.  I did about 45 mile and the last 10 were just brutal.

2017-07-23 9:35 AM
in reply to: #5224854

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Matt-- sorry to hear about the kiddo. Good vibes going your way!!

Scheduled off day for me today. I can use it! I've let a few household chores slide this week, so I could use the free time to catch back up!
2017-07-23 3:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Nice job hitting every workout Gretchen. A flat on a trainer! ????. That would frustrate me too!!

I've been MIA a bit. My 6 year old's health problems that we thought we were in the clear from a couple months ago have resurfaced in the last couple weeks. There's been a lot of doctors visits and procedures and general life stress and not a lot of training at all. Not sure what's happening from here. Ironman Santa Rosa is a week from today. Current schedule is to leave Wednesday morning, but we have a doctors appt Tuesday that will likely determine if and when we head up. My wife says we are going 100% no matter what. But this isn't a 5k. I don't know if I can get through this if I'm not 100% focused mentally and physically. Even though I do know it might be more important now than ever to show the boys that you never ever stop fighting through hurdles... I don't know.

Anyway, sorry to be such a downer in a Triathlon forum. Just wanted to explain my absence and vent a little. Hope everyone's weekend is going great.

-Matt

Matt, that sounds terrible. Hoping that you get some positive news on Tuesday.

That said, as far as Santa Rosa goes, obviously the most important thing is your Drs on Tuesday. If you as a family are still happy to travel after that you need to decide if you will enjoy going and enjoying the race experience, but knowing that you're under prepared so wont be able to reach your potential. If you will be happy just getting around the course then go for it. If the lack of performance will suck the enjoyment out of it for you, then give it a miss. Maybe go and spectate? or take the time off and go do something else as a family. Remember, we do this for fun. So only you can know if it's something you should do.

Good luck with whatever you decide. But most importantly hoping for the best for your little one.

2017-07-24 6:45 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by Tavo2311 Nice job hitting every workout Gretchen. A flat on a trainer! ????. That would frustrate me too!! I've been MIA a bit. My 6 year old's health problems that we thought we were in the clear from a couple months ago have resurfaced in the last couple weeks. There's been a lot of doctors visits and procedures and general life stress and not a lot of training at all. Not sure what's happening from here. Ironman Santa Rosa is a week from today. Current schedule is to leave Wednesday morning, but we have a doctors appt Tuesday that will likely determine if and when we head up. My wife says we are going 100% no matter what. But this isn't a 5k. I don't know if I can get through this if I'm not 100% focused mentally and physically. Even though I do know it might be more important now than ever to show the boys that you never ever stop fighting through hurdles... I don't know. Anyway, sorry to be such a downer in a Triathlon forum. Just wanted to explain my absence and vent a little. Hope everyone's weekend is going great. -Matt
Matt, that sounds terrible. Hoping that you get some positive news on Tuesday. That said, as far as Santa Rosa goes, obviously the most important thing is your Drs on Tuesday. If you as a family are still happy to travel after that you need to decide if you will enjoy going and enjoying the race experience, but knowing that you're under prepared so wont be able to reach your potential. If you will be happy just getting around the course then go for it. If the lack of performance will suck the enjoyment out of it for you, then give it a miss. Maybe go and spectate? or take the time off and go do something else as a family. Remember, we do this for fun. So only you can know if it's something you should do. Good luck with whatever you decide. But most importantly hoping for the best for your little one.

There are some really fun family things to do around Santa Rosa, too.  We went out there a few years ago (my daughter was 9 at the time) and went to the Old Faithful geyser in Napa County, the Petrified Forest, and the Safari West safari park.  If the race doesn't work out, you could do all of that stuff.

2017-07-24 7:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Just finished up my own, personal Tour de France challenge - a total of just under 300 miles over the 3+ weeks, culminating with a ~ 45 mile ride on Saturday and then an easy 4 miler after a 10K hike Sunday.  My TSS was about 350 for the week (for those of you who track such things...), one of my higher weeks since I've been tracking that stuff in 2013. 

Going to back off cycling a bit and get back in the pool and build up my walking tolerance as I head towards (hopefully) starting running again in September. 

Happy Monday!

Edited by jmhpsu93 2017-07-24 7:42 AM
2017-07-24 8:19 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2600m of swimming at masters practice this morning.

Later this afternoon: 1:15 run with some speed work again this week, followed by a little weight lifting (if there is time)
2017-07-25 9:00 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
This morning: 10 mi bike ride followed by a 3mi brick run. Both felt good!!

Later: weight lifting (didn't get to it yesterday!)

Yesterday afternoon: pretty terrible run plagued by serious heart burn! I was supposed to do 1:15, but cut it at 45' because every time I started running my heartburn would rage out of control. Stop and walk, it is fine. Run, feels like my chest is going to combust. Guess I learned that you can't eat left over pineapple chicken with rice 30' before a run and have it turn out well.
2017-07-25 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove This morning: 10 mi bike ride followed by a 3mi brick run. Both felt good!! Later: weight lifting (didn't get to it yesterday!) Yesterday afternoon: pretty terrible run plagued by serious heart burn! I was supposed to do 1:15, but cut it at 45' because every time I started running my heartburn would rage out of control. Stop and walk, it is fine. Run, feels like my chest is going to combust. Guess I learned that you can't eat left over pineapple chicken with rice 30' before a run and have it turn out well.

OMG - I can't eat less than 2-3 hours before I run, even more if it's a tough one.

Got in a smaller "brick" this morning, 30 min on the spin bike plus 20 minutes of the TM @ 9% incline.  Got my HR up into lower Z2 for running, so that's what I 'm calling it for now.     I then did all my leg/PT/core work, like 50 minutes' worth.  I'm hungry!

Easy swim later (though that's kinda all they are right now...).

2017-07-25 12:18 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

-Matt

Wow, Matt, hope all goes well with your little one - understand the difficult decision but the best is to have your family on your side. Great support! It may even help focus more on the race to show them to pursue your dreams. Not easy I guess....

I have been trying to go back into training, just a bit of swimming, some spinning, easy running....no rush and it is not lack of motivation, is enjoying the reward of not "having to train". This summer I have in mind a 5000m open water swim in the north, and a classic grand fondo (6 huge climbs in 179km bike ride), so cannot be in this mood for long.

Hope all are doing well with your plans and recovery.

Juan
2017-07-26 8:17 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Juancho

-Matt

Wow, Matt, hope all goes well with your little one - understand the difficult decision but the best is to have your family on your side. Great support! It may even help focus more on the race to show them to pursue your dreams. Not easy I guess....

I have been trying to go back into training, just a bit of swimming, some spinning, easy running....no rush and it is not lack of motivation, is enjoying the reward of not "having to train". This summer I have in mind a 5000m open water swim in the north, and a classic grand fondo (6 huge climbs in 179km bike ride), so cannot be in this mood for long.

Hope all are doing well with your plans and recovery.

Juan

So Matt, are you on the road to Santa Rosa?
2017-07-26 8:22 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2300m of "Quality Wednesday" swimming at master's practice, which is just really coaches way of saying "this is gonna hurt so bad!!!" without being overt about it.

Lets talk bike tires! I have three sets: 1.) crappy ones that came on bike when I bought it--trainer tires exclusively now; 2.) Gatorskins; and 3.) Conti 4000s. Ignore the trainer tire, I know what to do with those! Right now, I ride with the Conti 4000s all the time, because they have a lower rolling resistance than the Gatorskins and I like going faster with less effort. But, I was thinking the other day on the bike that maybe I should put the Gatorskins on my bike for training, because then when I put the Contis on for racing, I will get an automatic speed boost due to lower rolling resistance. Anyone have opinions? I bought the Contis because when I first started out with the Gatorskins I really felt slow and didn't like it at all.
2017-07-26 2:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2300m of "Quality Wednesday" swimming at master's practice, which is just really coaches way of saying "this is gonna hurt so bad!!!" without being overt about it. Lets talk bike tires! I have three sets: 1.) crappy ones that came on bike when I bought it--trainer tires exclusively now; 2.) Gatorskins; and 3.) Conti 4000s. Ignore the trainer tire, I know what to do with those! Right now, I ride with the Conti 4000s all the time, because they have a lower rolling resistance than the Gatorskins and I like going faster with less effort. But, I was thinking the other day on the bike that maybe I should put the Gatorskins on my bike for training, because then when I put the Contis on for racing, I will get an automatic speed boost due to lower rolling resistance. Anyone have opinions? I bought the Contis because when I first started out with the Gatorskins I really felt slow and didn't like it at all.

Conti 4000s all the way.  Never look back.  They're faster, they handle better.  They have good durability.  I had some crappy Conti 4-season tire on my rear wheel (that came with my Powertap wheel) and I switched it out this past weekend - MAJOR difference in speed and feel.  And those Gatorskins feel like you're wrestling one when you change a flat. 

Use the Gatorskins as a winter/trainer tire, though I usually don't ride outside in the winter and I've left my 4000s on my bike on the trainer without any problems.

I did make the mistake of getting a 23mm tire for the rear the first time around.  I switched to a 25mm and I can ride the tire with a little less air pressure (more comfortable and less rolling resistance).  23s still on the front.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2017-07-26 2:39 PM
2017-07-26 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2300m of "Quality Wednesday" swimming at master's practice, which is just really coaches way of saying "this is gonna hurt so bad!!!" without being overt about it. Lets talk bike tires! I have three sets: 1.) crappy ones that came on bike when I bought it--trainer tires exclusively now; 2.) Gatorskins; and 3.) Conti 4000s. Ignore the trainer tire, I know what to do with those! Right now, I ride with the Conti 4000s all the time, because they have a lower rolling resistance than the Gatorskins and I like going faster with less effort. But, I was thinking the other day on the bike that maybe I should put the Gatorskins on my bike for training, because then when I put the Contis on for racing, I will get an automatic speed boost due to lower rolling resistance. Anyone have opinions? I bought the Contis because when I first started out with the Gatorskins I really felt slow and didn't like it at all.

How frequently do you flat with the Conti 4000s?  If the answer is "not frequently" or "I haven't yet", I'd rock the Contis all the time (that's what I do). 

2017-07-26 3:36 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

As of this week, I'm finally no longer in pain

My right ribs and back muscles still have a little discomfort when I take a really full breath, but it's no longer what I'd consider pain.  Here's to hoping for no more crashes (for anyone!) because it was NOT fun....and it was a relatively minor crash!

I did get back on my old P2 over the weekend....managed 70 miles with no crashing   This coming weekend, I'll be heading out to TX Hill Country.....Friday will have me OWS'ing at a spring-fed lake (so about 70F water instead of the awful 90F water in the non-spring fed lakes) in Austin, riding for a few hours in Johnson City, and then doing a wine tasting.  Saturday will be a long ride on the LBJ 100 course (though the official ride is in April) and a couple more wine tastings.  And Sunday will be a long run followed by a couple more wine tastings

And hopefully no crashing!

Things are working out with Argon pretty well....I'll be buying a new bike shortly -- though it's been a bit delayed with them being in France for the TdF.  Hopefully will get it all squared away in early August so I can get back on that bike before 70.3 WC in September.

2017-07-26 9:56 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, California
Hey all. Thanks for all the kind words of support. I was reading but really didn't know how to reply yet.

So on Tuesday we had the latest follow up with the hematology / oncology Dr to go over results of a bone marrow biopsy last week. Sparing all the details, the results were great and we won't be going back to them again!!!! It's still a little bit of a mystery what is going on with him but the most serious possibilities were definitively ruled out after almost 4 months of going back and forth, living in denial between visits then facing reality, rinse and repeat. I can't imagine ever feeling more relieved. Thanks again to everyone for caring.

So, that appointment was on Tuesday and we had planned to leave for Santa Rosa on Wed morning and so that's what we did. Road tripped about 7 hours from LA starting at 5:30 am and got up here and all checked in. And it's just such a blessing I'm even able to go out there on Saturday that I'm not dreading the pain or anxious or nervous about performance. I'm really just truly excited to try and get through it!

-Matt
2017-07-27 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

That's great news, Matt!  Channel these feelings and have a great race!  We'll be cheering for you

2017-07-27 8:36 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Matt, that is so great! I'm happy that you guys are able to breathe easy now. Hopefully his issues clear up soon, but PHEW!

Mike, I might be going to masters practice tomorrow! Come check it out if you haven't yet!

I was at the beach last week and started a new job Monday so life has been crazy, hence my silence on here. I've been training though, and feeling really good on my runs. Haven't been on the bike yet though. I have a flat and haven't gotten around to changing it. I've never changed one myself so am afraid to screw it up. I also haven't been getting in the pool as much as I'd like, but hope to gear up for it more in the next two months, leading up to the two tris I have scheduled.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38870 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.