BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-07-31 8:02 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
2500m swim at master this morning. Coach must have been tired. He started us out with a 1000 crawl set. He typically only does super long sets like that when he doesn't want to think too much in putting together a workout!

2017-07-31 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Just finished clocking in my 3rd biggest cycling month ever, a little over 360 miles.  Hoping to start running again in September - I definitely have this hiking thing down LOL.

2017-08-01 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

This morning was 30 minutes on the spin bike, a little over 20 minutes incline walking @ 9%, then over an hour of legs, core, and some brutal PT.  Going to hit the neighborhood pool at lunchtime for an easy recovery swim. 

2017-08-01 9:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Had a nice brick this morning with a 45' trainer ride followed by 30' run. This plan calls for a lot of brick runs, which at first I didn't like, but now I do. Not sure what that says about me! lol

Missed yesterday's run due to work commitments, so I'm going to try to hit that this afternoon before weight lifting. I'll be tired tonight!
2017-08-01 9:17 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Matt!!!! Congrats, Ironman! That is incredible! I, for one, am very happy you made the decision to do it, and I'm sure you are too.

Had a really solid run this morning, fastest yet. My legs were a bit heavy at the start but loosened up quick. I have 2 tris in about 2 months (one week apart, and possibly my first international distance tri...I should probably know what I signed up for but i don't) so really need to get into training. I've been keeping fit but not swimming or biking as much as I should be, or even running as much as I should. Gonna sit down this week and make a training plan. I also have a flat tire so either need to finally figure out how to change it, or take it to the shop.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!
2017-08-01 9:26 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Matt!!!! Congrats, Ironman! That is incredible! I, for one, am very happy you made the decision to do it, and I'm sure you are too. Had a really solid run this morning, fastest yet. My legs were a bit heavy at the start but loosened up quick. I have 2 tris in about 2 months (one week apart, and possibly my first international distance tri...I should probably know what I signed up for but i don't) so really need to get into training. I've been keeping fit but not swimming or biking as much as I should be, or even running as much as I should. Gonna sit down this week and make a training plan. I also have a flat tire so either need to finally figure out how to change it, or take it to the shop. I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Have the guys down at Joe's Bike Shop show you - that is one skill that you need if you do a lot of riding outdoors (I swear I flatted almost every time I rode in Patterson Park).

2017-08-01 9:33 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Had a nice brick this morning with a 45' trainer ride followed by 30' run. This plan calls for a lot of brick runs, which at first I didn't like, but now I do. Not sure what that says about me! lol Missed yesterday's run due to work commitments, so I'm going to try to hit that this afternoon before weight lifting. I'll be tired tonight!

If you figure out what it is that made you love the brick can you let me know?  I hate them.  Not even the feeling of running after biking, it's the having to set up T2 before I can go on my bike ride, and having to tell my family that my workout is going to be xx:xx longer because it's a brick.Yes, even though I'm a triathlete, I'm still lazy

2017-08-02 7:57 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Matt!!!! Congrats, Ironman! That is incredible! I, for one, am very happy you made the decision to do it, and I'm sure you are too. Had a really solid run this morning, fastest yet. My legs were a bit heavy at the start but loosened up quick. I have 2 tris in about 2 months (one week apart, and possibly my first international distance tri...I should probably know what I signed up for but i don't) so really need to get into training. I've been keeping fit but not swimming or biking as much as I should be, or even running as much as I should. Gonna sit down this week and make a training plan. I also have a flat tire so either need to finally figure out how to change it, or take it to the shop. I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Have the guys down at Joe's Bike Shop show you - that is one skill that you need if you do a lot of riding outdoors (I swear I flatted almost every time I rode in Patterson Park).

They showed me once before, but I didn't actually do it myself which is how I learn. I will probably take it in there one of these days. I might try to watch a youtube video and figure it out
2017-08-02 8:24 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

They showed me once before, but I didn't actually do it myself which is how I learn. I will probably take it in there one of these days. I might try to watch a youtube video and figure it out

I watched youtube videos to learn how to do it too. My lbs doesn't do any type of mechanical training, so I had to learn somehow. I got tired of the delay and cost associated with taking my bike in if/when I got a flat, which used to happen a lot more with my old bike (cheap tires). Now I can do it in my house in under three minutes. The one time I did it on the side of the road, it was more like 10. Not exactly sure what caused that delay!
2017-08-02 8:28 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by drfoodlove Had a nice brick this morning with a 45' trainer ride followed by 30' run. This plan calls for a lot of brick runs, which at first I didn't like, but now I do. Not sure what that says about me! lol Missed yesterday's run due to work commitments, so I'm going to try to hit that this afternoon before weight lifting. I'll be tired tonight!

If you figure out what it is that made you love the brick can you let me know?  I hate them.  Not even the feeling of running after biking, it's the having to set up T2 before I can go on my bike ride, and having to tell my family that my workout is going to be xx:xx longer because it's a brick.Yes, even though I'm a triathlete, I'm still lazy

I don't really set up a T2 for my brick runs. More like just put my shoes near the chair I'm going to use and make sure I know where the dog's leash and harness are before I leave for my bike ride. I will admit, sometimes the idea of running after finishing up the bike is not appealing. Especially after the long rides on Friday. This Friday is 4:15 bike, 45' run. That is five freaking hours!!! Yes, I know the race is somewhere in that neighborhood, but this is a regular old Friday in August eight weeks out from my race. Five freaking hours!!!
2017-08-02 8:31 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2500m of mostly backstroke at masters this morning. Allergies are acting up and I was having difficulty regulating my breathing for crawl, so I switched it up. Coach thinks I've been hiding something from him. I did pretty well in the back (i.e., faster than my crawl for some sets), so now he thinks he is going to get me to commit to doing back stroke in swim meets (ahahahahahahahahahaha).

Later this afternoon I'm still hoping to squeeze in Monday's run that got postponed to Tuesday due to work and now to Wednesday due to the aforementioned breathing issues. If I can't get that run in, it will be a 60' bike instead and I'll finally give up on trying to get that run this week. Not every week can be a perfect training week.

2017-08-02 8:43 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove

I don't really set up a T2 for my brick runs. More like just put my shoes near the chair I'm going to use and make sure I know where the dog's leash and harness are before I leave for my bike ride. I will admit, sometimes the idea of running after finishing up the bike is not appealing. Especially after the long rides on Friday. This Friday is 4:15 bike, 45' run. That is five freaking hours!!! Yes, I know the race is somewhere in that neighborhood, but this is a regular old Friday in August eight weeks out from my race. Five freaking hours!!!

Yeah - you got me there!  I'm complaining about my Sprint distance bricks, longest of which is 50 min/2 miles.  Once I'm running it's fine but like I said, I'm lazy

2017-08-02 1:03 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Yeah - you got me there!  I'm complaining about my Sprint distance bricks, longest of which is 50 min/2 miles.  Once I'm running it's fine but like I said, I'm lazy

And Matt and Juan are laughing that I'm complaining about a five hour brick. All hail the Ironmen!
2017-08-02 2:50 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

And Matt and Juan are laughing that I'm complaining about a five hour brick. All hail the Ironmen!

hahaha.... no way Gretchen, I am really impressed with your commitment to your plan and yes, 5 full hours! I don´t now about Matt, but it has been today a month after the IM, and it may be what is called PIMB or it could be putting so much time and effort into that particular goal, that this month has been a pretty lazy one. In fact, i just came back from an easy 45 min run, and this is the most I am doing these days. I am enjoying my "new free time" catching up with friends, with family, also at work.... may be after summer will start with a plan again, but right now, just running for fun, planning on a semi-long bike ride on Sunday, not much more. But I stop by here a few minutes everyday to follow you guys and get some inspiration so i get up from the couch and go!!

Juan
2017-08-02 4:10 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did a boot camp this morning and have another one tomorrow. My legs are usually beat by the end of that, but I will get a run in Friday and/or Saturday for sure.

Driving to southern NY Friday to visit some friends/go to the finger lakes (wine tasting! not nearly as good as Spanish/Italian wine, but it will have to do until I move overseas ). Not looking forward to a second weekend sitting in a car for hours but I will deal.
2017-08-03 7:39 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
One hour ride on the trainer this morning and my legs are feeling yesterday's speed workout run. They should not be this tired after only one hour on the bike!!! On tap for later: swim and strength training, neither of which is likely to help my poor, dead legs get ready for tomorrow's long ride. Oh well--fatigue, repair, repeat, right?

2017-08-03 2:03 PM
in reply to: #5225347

User image

, California
No way I laugh at anyone Gretchen but especially not you and the consistent training load I've seen you post about for the second straight season now. Plus, 5 hour workouts are not something that anyone should sneeze at!!

I haven't returned to activity yet. Just lots of walking. Feel real good honestly, other than my knee. Can't wait to swim again this weekend.

-Matt
2017-08-03 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

It seems appropriate to say HAPPY NATIONAL IPA DAY!!!  I celebrated with a local hazy IPA (New England style, if you will).  It was delicious, but if I'm completely honest, it was better three weeks ago when it was super fresh, but that was really to be expected.  

I'm back into the full swing of training since my accident....trying to get ready for Chattanooga in September.  Had a fantastic weekend in wine country, with a three hour ride, a four hour ride, and a 9.5 mile run over the weekend....and then a 9.5 mile run this morning and three hour and four hour rides planned for this weekend.  One of the Galveston breweries posed some new (trucker) hats that they have in stock, one of which would match my race kit perfectly.....so I may go ride the Galveston 70.3 course on Sunday, stop in and have a pint, and pick up a hat and see if it would be wearable for a race

Happy to see everyone is still out enjoying themselves.....whether it's training, racing, or recovering!

2017-08-04 4:11 PM
in reply to: #5225657

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Five freaking hours DONE!!! man, did it get ugly and dark in a couple of places on the bike. Partly I blame my choice of shorts. Let's just say, there is a reason I only wear this particular pair on top of another pair (while on trainer). There is some ouchiness going on over here today. I ride my "hilly" route today, which is always a test for me. I'm happy to report I made it to the top of my nemesis hill today--the one that I ALWAYS have to stop and walk up about half way up. I'm stoked about that, as my goal for the summer was to get up that darn hill without walking!!

45 min brick run afterwards with my pup. It actually went pretty well, minus the neighbor's dog attacking mine in the road. But that is par for the course around here--no leash laws at all.
2017-08-05 11:11 AM
in reply to: #5225730

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nine mile run this morning in the cool temps (57f at start). It was a really good run--the kind that reminds you why you like to do this stuff! After yesterday and today, things feel like they are coming together training wise.

Later today: one hour high cadence bike.

Anyone racing this weekend?!? I have a spring with my niece (her first) next weekend.
2017-08-05 7:57 PM
in reply to: #5225760

User image

, California
Gretchen - great job getting those long workouts in! Enjoy the sprint next weekend and good luck to you niece on her first. That's so cool. I would love to race with family members but so far I'm the only one that has picked up the crazy hobby!

I got back in the water today. Our usual Saturday morning ocean swim group. I didn't go long but it was great to do something again other than sit around. I am doing the two mile ocean swim race Sunday morning. Not "racing" it by any stretch mind you...but more like participating!

Hope everyone's weekend is good.

-Matt

2017-08-07 8:03 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Good Morning All!!

Monday masters swim--2200m of mixed fast/slow and crawl/back long/short. Just a little bit of almost everything we do.

Later today: 1:15 run with some speed work thrown in.
2017-08-07 9:36 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone!

My weekend in NY/the finger lakes led to no runs and lots of booze. I ended it with 2 football games, pulling my hamstring towards the end of my 2nd game. So that's awesome. Don't think it's too bad though so I'm hoping to be back at it after a few days to a week. Have to figure out what I can do to keep working out for the time being, that doesn't involved my hamstrings. Wondering if swimming will hurt it. Maybe I will check out masters practice today.
2017-08-07 10:19 AM
in reply to: #5225776

User image

, California
Bummer about the hamstring Nicole. I would think you're OK swimming but by no means am I an expert! Good luck recovering!

I did the two mile ocean race yesterday and I thought I did AWFUL until I got out and spoke to everyone that has done it in years past. He current apprently was the strongest it's been against us in a while. One person has PRd this swim at 1h04m and they did 1h45m, andother person practiced the swim five days earlier and was 20(!) minutes faster. So I feel a bit better about myself. But man what a slog!! At least nowhere to go but up in future years!!

Haven't returned to run or bike yet as the knee is still somewhat painful. Will continue to be patient. I have an Olympic on Sep 16 that is in jeopardy if the knee doesn't heel soon.

Have a great week all!!

-Matt
2017-08-07 10:44 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey everyone!

My weekend in NY/the finger lakes led to no runs and lots of booze. I ended it with 2 football games, pulling my hamstring towards the end of my 2nd game. So that's awesome. Don't think it's too bad though so I'm hoping to be back at it after a few days to a week. Have to figure out what I can do to keep working out for the time being, that doesn't involved my hamstrings. Wondering if swimming will hurt it. Maybe I will check out masters practice today.

You can always pull!!!

We have a lady at our masters who hasn't swum an unassisted length in over a year. She is ALWAYS swimming with fins or pulling with a pull buoy and paddles. Then she complains that the intervals are too long.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38684 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.