BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-08-07 5:30 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Glad to see everyone still rocking and rolling. 

I had to make the tough call to hang up the wetsuit for the remainder of the year.  If you recall I was rear ended in a car accident back in May, with whiplash resulting.  I'm still in PT for at least two more weeks and the pain with movement is still there.  I got by in the swim in my two races by just rolling the body more so turning the head less, but I don't want to keep aggravating it.  

I haven't made the call on whether to do the same with the bike yet, but I really really don't want to get off the bike, I love it too much and have made way too much progress this year.  Just trying to figure out what to do with myself for the rest of the year.  I need a plan!  Without a plan I work out aimlessly or worse, not at all.  

I'm leaning towards a Half Marathon in October at the moment, just mapped out a training plan today.  Coming from a longest run of 7 miles, probably a month back, diving into a 'real' plan right now seems ambitious, so I'm dialing things back (the time improvement plan calls for a longest long run of 17 miles).

There's a couple charity bike rides coming up I'm interested in, and one Duathlon (even though after doing one du last year I said I wouldn't do one again).  

UPDATE

Just got back from my first 'official' long run on my HM plan.  7 miles.  Felt good.  Running hasn't felt that good in a long time.  Hopefully I can get in a bike ride tomorrow.

2017-08-07 7:40 PM
in reply to: #5225860

User image

, California
John - I am exactly the same way re: having a plan. I never work out as much, or as effectively, as when I have a race in the schedule. Sorry the neck is affecting you still but glad to hear at least it doesn't shelve you from activity completely.

-Matt
2017-08-08 7:49 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Me three!! No plan=laziness for me! Give me a plan and I can follow it almost to a T. Let me decide what I want/need to do myself and forget about it!

4.5mi run this morning with some pickups in the middle. I've reached week 9 of the HIM training plan, so now there is speedwork in each of the three disciplines at least once a week. I've been doing one speed workout a week in running for the last two weeks, but this morning's was just blah. I almost went back to sleep after the alarm went off. I wasn't really feeling the run at all. The dog was a pain. The sunrise was beautiful though.

Later today is an hour bike. Hoping to fit it in, but pretty sure it is going to get bumped by a work thing. (a work thing I made time for yesterday, but others procrastinated over!!, but I'm not bitter at all!!).
2017-08-08 9:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey everyone!

My weekend in NY/the finger lakes led to no runs and lots of booze. I ended it with 2 football games, pulling my hamstring towards the end of my 2nd game. So that's awesome. Don't think it's too bad though so I'm hoping to be back at it after a few days to a week. Have to figure out what I can do to keep working out for the time being, that doesn't involved my hamstrings. Wondering if swimming will hurt it. Maybe I will check out masters practice today.

You can always pull!!!

We have a lady at our masters who hasn't swum an unassisted length in over a year. She is ALWAYS swimming with fins or pulling with a pull buoy and paddles. Then she complains that the intervals are too long.

Good idea! I didn't go to practice last night but will try to hit the pool this week to get some work in. I feel like a sloth already.
2017-08-09 7:45 AM
in reply to: #5225895

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2000m swim this morning followed immediately by long run for the week (1:45). Normally do the run on Saturday, but it is race week, so everything is all mixed up and I'm having trouble keeping track of which workouts I've done!!
2017-08-10 5:00 PM
in reply to: #5225991

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
57.74mi on the bike today on a great bike path near my folks house. It was a good ride, but marred by a low speed tip over as I tried to stupidly read the map while I was cruising by. No big injuries, just a bruise on my knee and a scrape on my arm really. I do need to get a new helmet now as I did smack my head pretty well. I dented the back of my helmet and punctured the left side in several places. I'm not even really sure how I managed to do that. No evidence of concussion though. Hmmmm...a legitimate reason to buy a new helmet. Maybe I need a race helmet!!!

2017-08-11 3:46 PM
in reply to: #5226079

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short, terrible swim this morning at my mom's gym. It was just bad from start to finish and every little thing that could go wrong did. My goggles kept fogging up. My swim cap broke. There was an old guy in there doing some mutant version of the back stroke across multiple lanes (no lane lines). The pool is salt water and I hate those! There are no side ballests, so by 30' in I was seasick. All and all, I probably should have just stayed in bed. I guess the up side is that I now have a much greater appreciation for my home pool!!

Race tomorrow with my niece!!!!
2017-08-11 10:53 PM
in reply to: #5226123

User image

, California
Sorry to hear about the tip over and the crap swim Gretchen. Put it out of your mind and think positive thoughts for tomorrow. Enjoy the race!! Good luck.

-Matt
2017-08-12 1:28 PM
in reply to: #5226134

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short version: race was awesome!! Shaved 10' off my overall race time from two years ago when I did this race. Swim was rough because I went out too hard. Bike was awesome, with highest avg mph ever. Run was great, felt strong and ran 20" faster than my stretch goal pace. Awesome day with my 14yo niece (whom I beat by 3min!!).

Longer race report to come later.

Happy training to everyone!!
2017-08-12 8:48 PM
in reply to: #5226139

User image

, California
Great to hear the race went so well Gretchen!

How's everyone else's weekend?

-Matt
2017-08-13 11:14 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hmmmm...a legitimate reason to buy a new helmet. Maybe I need a race helmet!!!

Yes!  Yes you do.

2017-08-13 11:14 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Short version: race was awesome!! Shaved 10' off my overall race time from two years ago when I did this race. Swim was rough because I went out too hard. Bike was awesome, with highest avg mph ever. Run was great, felt strong and ran 20" faster than my stretch goal pace. Awesome day with my 14yo niece (whom I beat by 3min!!). Longer race report to come later. Happy training to everyone!!

Yeah!!  Great job and congrats!!

2017-08-14 8:16 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thanks guys!!

I finally typed up a race report. I had to wait to get to a real computer, because I'm not doing it on my phone!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=286556

If anyone wants to read about my sprint race on a flat course in the middle of nowhere Illinois.

2200m of swimming at masters today. It was a little rough, but I made it through!
2017-08-14 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, everyone.  Been off the grid for a few days as I was on vacation in San Diego (poor me!).  Got in very little training other than a couple of quick swims in the hotel pool and a beach bike ride.  LOTS of walking, though.  Had a great time - did the Zoo, toured the USS Midway, had lots of great eats.  I then turned around this morning and had a 7 AM flight up to Hartford for work.  I'm a mess.  

2017-08-14 2:35 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I dented the back of my helmet and punctured the left side in several places. I'm not even really sure how I managed to do that. No evidence of concussion though. Hmmmm...a legitimate reason to buy a new helmet. Maybe I need a race helmet!!!

"I'm not even really sure how I managed to do that..." Maybe someone really wanted a new helmet, purposefully took a tumble and later smashed their helmet on the ground... J/k! glad you are okay! and nice work on the race this past weekend!

I ran a turkey trot 5k with my niece last year. She's 10. She wanted to go faster but when we did she struggled a little so we slowed down. With about 200m left she took off. No way was I letting her beat me after making me slow down! lol we crossed together Can't let the little ones beat us yet!
2017-08-14 2:40 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
So I took off training completely last week b/c of my strained hamstring. I was going nuts! Tried to run Friday morning but about 2 blocks in I decided I felt a little too much of a pull and instead walked for a half hour or so.

Went to masters practice Saturday morning though and felt pretty good. No pain in my hamstring and I somehow didn't die during the long freestyle set. We ended practice getting to go down the slides at the pool, which are pretty fun (we are there before the pool actually opens so sometimes they turn the slides on specifically for us).

Tried to run again yesterday and it went great! No pain in my hamstring, and I was able to hit 8:50 pace, which is about where I've been lately on my runs. I have an international distance (I think) tri at the end of September though so I really need to focus on training this next month and a half, and need to increase my distance on my runs! I've only been running up to about 3.5 miles so far. Tonight I make a plan and have to stick to it!

2017-08-14 3:53 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Thanks guys!! I finally typed up a race report. I had to wait to get to a real computer, because I'm not doing it on my phone! http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=286556If anyone wants to read about my sprint race on a flat course in the middle of nowhere Illinois. 2200m of swimming at masters today. It was a little rough, but I made it through!

Gretchen - what was the name of the race?  The link is doing the thing where it makes you log in then redirects you to the home page.

2017-08-14 3:55 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e So I took off training completely last week b/c of my strained hamstring. I was going nuts! Tried to run Friday morning but about 2 blocks in I decided I felt a little too much of a pull and instead walked for a half hour or so. Went to masters practice Saturday morning though and felt pretty good. No pain in my hamstring and I somehow didn't die during the long freestyle set. We ended practice getting to go down the slides at the pool, which are pretty fun (we are there before the pool actually opens so sometimes they turn the slides on specifically for us). Tried to run again yesterday and it went great! No pain in my hamstring, and I was able to hit 8:50 pace, which is about where I've been lately on my runs. I have an international distance (I think) tri at the end of September though so I really need to focus on training this next month and a half, and need to increase my distance on my runs! I've only been running up to about 3.5 miles so far. Tonight I make a plan and have to stick to it!

That's awesome Nicole - all of it, well from the swimming part on anyway.  Glad the swim was good and ever gladder (ha) that the run is back!

2017-08-14 3:57 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Still working towards my late October Half Marathon.  Had an 800m repeat workout this weekend, haven't had one of those in for.ev.er.  Still going well, though I have old man hips and need to know when to take it easy and when to go 100%.

Did a 16 mile bike ride yesterday for the first time in a couple weeks.  Tried riding without using the aerobars so I can be used to that for any charity rides/gran fondo type stuff I do coming up.  It sucked!  Haha - for as hard as it was to get used to riding in aero this year, I'm finding it harder to go back to not riding in aero!

2017-08-14 6:12 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by drfoodlove I dented the back of my helmet and punctured the left side in several places. I'm not even really sure how I managed to do that. No evidence of concussion though. Hmmmm...a legitimate reason to buy a new helmet. Maybe I need a race helmet!!!
"I'm not even really sure how I managed to do that..." Maybe someone really wanted a new helmet, purposefully took a tumble and later smashed their helmet on the ground... J/k! glad you are okay! and nice work on the race this past weekend! I ran a turkey trot 5k with my niece last year. She's 10. She wanted to go faster but when we did she struggled a little so we slowed down. With about 200m left she took off. No way was I letting her beat me after making me slow down! lol we crossed together Can't let the little ones beat us yet!
I ran the inaugrial Brigance Brigade (5.7K for those of you non-Baltimorons) a couple of years ago, and I ran alongside a 10-11 year old for the 2nd half of the race. I CRUSHED him on the kick. Very proud of myself.
2017-08-14 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by nicole14eSo I took off training completely last week b/c of my strained hamstring. I was going nuts! Tried to run Friday morning but about 2 blocks in I decided I felt a little too much of a pull and instead walked for a half hour or so. Went to masters practice Saturday morning though and felt pretty good. No pain in my hamstring and I somehow didn't die during the long freestyle set. We ended practice getting to go down the slides at the pool, which are pretty fun (we are there before the pool actually opens so sometimes they turn the slides on specifically for us). Tried to run again yesterday and it went great! No pain in my hamstring, and I was able to hit 8:50 pace, which is about where I've been lately on my runs. I have an international distance (I think) tri at the end of September though so I really need to focus on training this next month and a half, and need to increase my distance on my runs! I've only been running up to about 3.5 miles so far. Tonight I make a plan and have to stick to it!
Where are you doing the INTL distance, Nicole? I know the Baltimore tri up @ Gunpowder is "only" a sprint now.

2017-08-14 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by firebert

Still working towards my late October Half Marathon.  Had an 800m repeat workout this weekend, haven't had one of those in for.ev.er.  Still going well, though I have old man hips and need to know when to take it easy and when to go 100%.

Did a 16 mile bike ride yesterday for the first time in a couple weeks.  Tried riding without using the aerobars so I can be used to that for any charity rides/gran fondo type stuff I do coming up.  It sucked!  Haha - for as hard as it was to get used to riding in aero this year, I'm finding it harder to go back to not riding in aero!

800 - 1200M repeats are awesome ways to get speed - just don't overdo it!Take care of that neck. I had a neck problem ( I know, I know...) a few years ago and it took a while to heal. You'll know when it's better (like when you can turn around in the car and have it not hurt).
2017-08-14 6:23 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hmmmm...a legitimate reason to buy a new helmet. Maybe I need a race helmet!!!

Yes!  Yes you do.

Agreed. :-)
2017-08-14 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Thanks guys!! I finally typed up a race report. I had to wait to get to a real computer, because I'm not doing it on my phone! http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=286556If anyone wants to read about my sprint race on a flat course in the middle of nowhere Illinois. 2200m of swimming at masters today. It was a little rough, but I made it through!

Gretchen - what was the name of the race?  The link is doing the thing where it makes you log in then redirects you to the home page.

Wood River Triathlon - it's like halfway down the Race Reports page.
2017-08-15 2:25 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14eSo I took off training completely last week b/c of my strained hamstring. I was going nuts! Tried to run Friday morning but about 2 blocks in I decided I felt a little too much of a pull and instead walked for a half hour or so. Went to masters practice Saturday morning though and felt pretty good. No pain in my hamstring and I somehow didn't die during the long freestyle set. We ended practice getting to go down the slides at the pool, which are pretty fun (we are there before the pool actually opens so sometimes they turn the slides on specifically for us). Tried to run again yesterday and it went great! No pain in my hamstring, and I was able to hit 8:50 pace, which is about where I've been lately on my runs. I have an international distance (I think) tri at the end of September though so I really need to focus on training this next month and a half, and need to increase my distance on my runs! I've only been running up to about 3.5 miles so far. Tonight I make a plan and have to stick to it!
Where are you doing the INTL distance, Nicole? I know the Baltimore tri up @ Gunpowder is "only" a sprint now.

It's down in Rock Hall, last weekend of September. Not a bad drive if you are making the drive there in the morning, although my aunt lives about 30 minutes away so my friend and I will be crashing there the night before. I'm doing the Baltimore tri again (they are due for good weather this year!!! lol), which is the week after, so lots to work on before these races.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38374 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.