BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-09-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
I hope everyone had a great long weekend!!

I started with a long bike ride at a new bike trail system I found this summer. It is awesome to ride without having to worry about getting creamed by a car! Unfortunately, it is 90 minutes from my house, so it isn't an every day kind of ride, but it is an awesome location for my long Friday rides until my HIM in October. Bonus: It is only about 30 minutes from my parents' house, so they came and we went to lunch after my brick (61mi ride/3 mi run).

Saturday I had a migraine, so no working out. Ugh.

Sunday, I did Saturday's long run (9mi) followed by 60' of high rpm biking.

Monday: horrible run from he!! (probably because I didn't take a rest day after my long run, like I normally do!)

Tuesday: Swim this morning. Later this afternoon some combination of bike/run/strength training. It all depends on when I can sneak out of my office for a "lunch time" training session. Must be back by 2pm for a meeting!

2017-09-06 8:03 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I hope everyone had a great long weekend!! I started with a long bike ride at a new bike trail system I found this summer. It is awesome to ride without having to worry about getting creamed by a car! Unfortunately, it is 90 minutes from my house, so it isn't an every day kind of ride, but it is an awesome location for my long Friday rides until my HIM in October. Bonus: It is only about 30 minutes from my parents' house, so they came and we went to lunch after my brick (61mi ride/3 mi run). Saturday I had a migraine, so no working out. Ugh. Sunday, I did Saturday's long run (9mi) followed by 60' of high rpm biking. Monday: horrible run from he!! (probably because I didn't take a rest day after my long run, like I normally do!) Tuesday: Swim this morning. Later this afternoon some combination of bike/run/strength training. It all depends on when I can sneak out of my office for a "lunch time" training session. Must be back by 2pm for a meeting!

I routinely drive 30 minutes each way to ride in a more safe area in a state park.  Can't blame you one bit.  Like you said, for a short ride it's not worth the time (so I would ride the trainer...) but if I'm going to do 30 miles or so it's worth it.  Lots of other cyclists and runners around, too, so there's a good vibe to it.

Speaking of which, got in 30 on Monday.  Yesterday was almost two hours in the gym on the bike, treadmill, and PT office.  We're trying to figure out the cause of my remaining discomfort.  I did some twisting lunges that just sucked.  Still sore today, but logged 45 Z2 on the trainer this morning and I have swim/strength session planned this afternoon.  I'm cooked already and we're not through Wednesday yet. 

2017-09-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone! I hope everyone in the US had a great Labor Day. I had my trip to Austin and it was fantastic. It's tough being back at work now.

I wanted to run the morning before my flight but it was raining and I am a pansy when it comes to rain. Instead I ran 3.5 on Sunday and felt really good, hit 8:25 pace. Ran 7 on Monday to cover my 10k that I signed up for to support Harvey victims (the one Nicole shared). Also felt great. Ran with a friend down there. Our trackers tracked the run very differently though. Mine said we ran 7 @ 9:05 pace and his said 7.4 @ 8:25 pace. I like his better but have no clue which is more accurate. Have you guys had this issue before? I could understand a small discrepancy but that is a pretty huge difference.

Got in super late last night but still managed to wake up for boot camp this morning. Think I am going to do a brick tomorrow and go to swim practice on Friday morning again.

Happy hump day!
2017-09-06 9:51 AM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Yesterday Imanagrd to get in a bike, run, and strength training at lunch. It was awesome.

Unfortunately, today I feel like crap. I caught the cold my wife brought home from work. It is awful. I feel like I was hit by a truck. No training today. My wife is having surgery tomorrow (lump in her breast), so I'm not sure how the rest of the week is going to shape up training-wise. I'm going to play it by ear and not stress about it. There are other,much more important, things to stress about this week.
2017-09-06 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Hey everyone! I hope everyone in the US had a great Labor Day. I had my trip to Austin and it was fantastic. It's tough being back at work now. I wanted to run the morning before my flight but it was raining and I am a pansy when it comes to rain. Instead I ran 3.5 on Sunday and felt really good, hit 8:25 pace. Ran 7 on Monday to cover my 10k that I signed up for to support Harvey victims (the one Nicole shared). Also felt great. Ran with a friend down there. Our trackers tracked the run very differently though. Mine said we ran 7 @ 9:05 pace and his said 7.4 @ 8:25 pace. I like his better but have no clue which is more accurate. Have you guys had this issue before? I could understand a small discrepancy but that is a pretty huge difference. Got in super late last night but still managed to wake up for boot camp this morning. Think I am going to do a brick tomorrow and go to swim practice on Friday morning again. Happy hump day!

What type of trackers are you using?  The GPS-based ones are usually the most accurate (though my old 210 had one heckuva time with buildings), the ones that measure footsteps aren't as accurate.

2017-09-06 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm leaving for Chattanooga tomorrow and will be racing on Saturday.  This race build was full of challenges, from a crash nine weeks ago to a hurricane two weeks ago....and will be picking up my replacement bike this afternoon (and yes, planning to race on it!).  The course looks like it will be very challenging, and certainly not fast....but I have execution goals (not time goals) and plan to have and enjoy the scenery along the way.  I'm bib #1338 if anyone wants to track. 

Hope everyone has a great week/weekend of training and racing....and I hope no one is in Hurricane Irma's path. 

2017-09-07 2:03 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Hey everyone! I hope everyone in the US had a great Labor Day. I had my trip to Austin and it was fantastic. It's tough being back at work now. I wanted to run the morning before my flight but it was raining and I am a pansy when it comes to rain. Instead I ran 3.5 on Sunday and felt really good, hit 8:25 pace. Ran 7 on Monday to cover my 10k that I signed up for to support Harvey victims (the one Nicole shared). Also felt great. Ran with a friend down there. Our trackers tracked the run very differently though. Mine said we ran 7 @ 9:05 pace and his said 7.4 @ 8:25 pace. I like his better but have no clue which is more accurate. Have you guys had this issue before? I could understand a small discrepancy but that is a pretty huge difference. Got in super late last night but still managed to wake up for boot camp this morning. Think I am going to do a brick tomorrow and go to swim practice on Friday morning again. Happy hump day!

What type of trackers are you using?  The GPS-based ones are usually the most accurate (though my old 210 had one heckuva time with buildings), the ones that measure footsteps aren't as accurate.

We were both using apps that are GPS based. I was using RunKeeper and he was using the Nike app.
2017-09-07 2:07 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Woke up way before my alarm this morning and decided to do some homework. Lost track of time and didn't have time to do my run :-/ Gonna try to get one in tonight. Masters tomorrow, then I head to my parents' in PA for the weekend so I'm going to do a brick workout on Saturday. It will be nice to get a ride in on some country roads without having to drive far.
2017-09-07 8:44 PM
in reply to: #5227628

User image

, California
Gretchen - thoughts and prayers with you two. Hope all went well today.

Nicole - good luck at Chattanooga. Will definitely be tracking you. Sounds like a great plan, enjoy!

I haven't been up to much. Went to NJ to visit family over a long Labor Day weekend so no training there. Then I caught my wife and kids cold when we got home yesterday so really feel like crap. Unfortunately can't do anything right now. Oh....but I did get a new bike, it's on the way as we speak! Maybe I can finally ride again once it arrives.

-Matt
2017-09-07 9:24 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Everyone,

Just popping in to say I'm still alive, it must be close to 2 months since I last posted.

The little man is 3 months old today, so safe to say it's been a bit of a change in the bullfrog house hold. We are finally starting to get into a bit of a routine as a family, the little one is a champion sleeper at night (in bed at 7, feed again at 11pm before dad goes to bed sleeps till 4:30-5am) Unfortunately for Mrs Bullfrog, he's not such a good napper, so the days are hard work for her.

It's taken several months, but I've figured out that after work training (which was my main training time) is not going to happen in the foreseeable future. Firstly it's not fair on Mrs BF, who's been dealing with a grumpy baby all day for me to take off and go play for an hour. And secondly, and most importunately, from when I get home till 7-7:30 bed time is the only time I get midweek where I can spend some time with my new son. So afternoon workouts are a thing of the past. Probably for the next 10 years plus. haha.

So my new plan, which I'm 2 weeks into is morning workouts. I'm not doing much (4 runs out of 8 days so far in September) but if I get up early I can run and be home before family wake up time. I miss out on nothing, Mrs BF doesn't even know I'm gone, the dog gets some exercise and I get my workout/therapy so everybody is happy. I'm planning to run every day, but bad weather and bad nights with the baby put a stop to that. If I can average 4-5 days a week for the next month or so I'll be ecstatic. But it's really not a priority at the moment. Something is better than nothing, and something is all I can manage.

Moving forwards if I'm going to continue in triathlon it's going to have to be even earlier. 5-6am will be workout time. I'm sure it can be done, but only if I prioritize it over sleep ins.

So other than getting my gear ready the night before, and learning to love the wind trainer again, does anyone have any early AM workout tips for a non morning person?

Nicole: Best of luck at the worlds. It's been a tough build up for you, so I hope you enjoy it, and meet your goals.

Gretchen: Hope the cold moves on quickly, and most important hope your wife has a quick and full recovery from surgery. It sure is something that puts training in perspective.

Everyone else: Hope you're all good, train well, have fun, and I'll try to not be as much of a stranger around these parts.
2017-09-08 4:27 PM
in reply to: #5227714

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy Friday! First, my wife is doing well after her surgery. Thanks for your thoughts!

After finishing up today I realized I only needed to run 10 more miles to finish up a 70.3!! I didn't do that...cause I'm not that crazy! Finishing out a rough week wih some good training! 2150yds in the pool. Then I came home and rode on the road for an hour while my wife was sleeping. After she woke up I wanted to be close if she needed me, so I did the last three hours on the trainer (59.74 miles, real and fake). Finished up with a three mile run. See! Just ten short miles from a 70.3!!

Now I have to go to a horrible work mixer.

2017-09-08 8:13 PM
in reply to: #5227758

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I just found some mold in an impossible to reach area of my aero hydration bottle. Is there some way to blast it away (I.e., a chemical solution)? Or do I need to get a new one (oh gee...new stuff)? Any ideas? It is on the underside of a horizontal ridge about 4" below the opening (that I couldn't get my hand in anyway!). The bottle is an Aquacell by profile designs if anyone has one.

If I need a new one, any suggestions? I am looking at the Profile Aero HC System. Anyone have one?
2017-09-08 10:26 PM
in reply to: #5227769

User image

, California
Andrew - I am also not a morning person and I don't have any advice for you. It sounds so basic, but basically if you want it bad enough you do it. That simple. When I picked up the sport couple years I worked a job starting around 9 am and had almost no commute. I could wake up at 7 or so and still get in a damn good workout. My current job starts at 6 am. I am lucky enough I can do much training at night but when I signed up for the long course I knew there were gonna be a couple 4 am wake-ups a week cause I needed to fit two workouts in. Those mornings were probably the single hardest part of my training plan! And don't let me fool you I definitely skipped a couple. But in the end you'll do what you need to do to achieve what you want. Sorry no magic ideas from me!

Gretchen good to hear about the surgery. I think I have the profile aero HC. Couldn't remember the name but sure looks like the same as those that show up when I google it. I got it before the bulk of my training this year so I have a lot of hours with it and I love it. Easy to clean, lid doesn't pop open or anything. Keep in mind it's my first BTA system at all so I have nothing to compare it to other than reaching down for a bottle, so that may color my opinion a bit.

Still suffering a cold here so no ocean swim for me tomorrow morning. Anyone have good plans this weekend other than Nicole racing Worlds?

-Matt

2017-09-09 5:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I just found some mold in an impossible to reach area of my aero hydration bottle. Is there some way to blast it away (I.e., a chemical solution)? Or do I need to get a new one (oh gee...new stuff)? Any ideas? It is on the underside of a horizontal ridge about 4" below the opening (that I couldn't get my hand in anyway!). The bottle is an Aquacell by profile designs if anyone has one. If I need a new one, any suggestions? I am looking at the Profile Aero HC System. Anyone have one?

Soak in super hot water with a little bit of bleach, that's the only thing I can think of.  Problem with mold like that is the stain won't ever go away, even if you've killed the organism and gotten rid of all the organics.  Get a new one. 

The PF ones are pretty good and you're used to it, but you could take a look at the TorHans or PodiumQuest brands, too. 

2017-09-09 8:53 AM
in reply to: #5227772

User image

, California
Good luck to Nicole today. I'm a little late, waking up on the west coast but will be following along now.

-Matt
2017-09-09 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Good luck to Nicole today. I'm a little late, waking up on the west coast but will be following along now. -Matt

Yeah, +1.  On the good luck, not the waking up on the west coast. 

2017-09-09 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

From the "only me" files...

The gym I belong to (and Nicole does as well) has several locations, and like 5 of them have pools.  One of them is right next to where by daughter swims on Saturdays, and where my wife used to do yoga, so I've swam there like maybe 25-30 times over the past few years.  I've always felt my interval times were a little slow, but chalked it up to just doing cool downs or whatever short sessions I usually do there. 

I walked it off today - it's SCM not SCY.  <facepalm>

2017-09-09 7:00 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

The gym I belong to (and Nicole does as well) has several locations, and like 5 of them have pools.  One of them is right next to where by daughter swims on Saturdays, and where my wife used to do yoga, so I've swam there like maybe 25-30 times over the past few years.  I've always felt my interval times were a little slow, but chalked it up to just doing cool downs or whatever short sessions I usually do there. 

I walked it off today - it's SCM not SCY. 

MIKE! That is hilarious! Which Merritt were you swimming at? I know the old Canton pool was meters and Towson is yards but don't know about any of the other pools.
2017-09-09 7:05 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone!

Nicole, I hope worlds went well! Can't wait to hear about it!

I am about 3 weeks out from my first ever international (not sure what the difference between an oly and international is) tri and I'm starting to get really nervous about the bike. I went on a 20 mile bike ride this morning (wanted to do a brick but had to go watch my nephew score 5 goals in his first ever soccer game!), and felt okay but GD that is so much time on a bike. I get really bored. I used to swim and run competitively but that bike really kills me. I went about 17 mph but had quite a few lights and stop signs that really slowed me down. Anyway, in previous sprint tris the most I trained was 2 times before the tri. I've already done more than that and have some rides planned for the next couple weeks but I am super nervous. Does anyone else struggle with the bike portion? I know Nicole crushes it.
2017-09-09 10:44 PM
in reply to: #5227775

User image

, California
Nicole - I struggle on the bike as in I'm slow AF!!! But mentally staying engaged and whatnot, no not me. I love being out on the bike. It makes me feel like a kid again.

-Matt
2017-09-11 6:38 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e

MIKE! That is hilarious! Which Merritt were you swimming at? I know the old Canton pool was meters and Towson is yards but don't know about any of the other pools.

Fort Avenue - I guess they built those pools (that one and Canton) with the same pool builder who must have liked the rare SCM setup.  I wonder what the new one at Canton is going to be?

2017-09-11 8:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice 2500yd swim this morning with a lot of hard 50s in there for "fun". Later I've got a run on tap. 13 more workouts til taper starts!!!

Fun story: Every Sunday I write out all of my workouts for the week on a big white board in my living room (yes, the decor is basically triathlon). I went to do that yesterday and I could not find my training plan (using Be Iron Fit plan from book, so should be easy to find). I looked for over an hour, including moving furniture, driving to my office at work, etc. It was no where to be found. I was just about to give up when I my wife yells "found it" from the living room. It was in the recycling bin!! Think my subconscious is trying to tell me something?!?!?!

Nicole--how was Worlds?!?!?!
2017-09-11 3:22 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

It was in the recycling bin!! Think my subconscious is trying to tell me something?!?!?!

HAHA! Either that or your wife
2017-09-11 3:29 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e

Fort Avenue - I guess they built those pools (that one and Canton) with the same pool builder who must have liked the rare SCM setup.  I wonder what the new one at Canton is going to be?

Ahh of course, Fort Ave. I will try to find out about Canton next time I'm there. I need to check the status of it anyway!
2017-09-11 3:30 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Nicole - I struggle on the bike as in I'm slow AF!!! But mentally staying engaged and whatnot, no not me. I love being out on the bike. It makes me feel like a kid again.

-Matt

Haha yeah I zone out a lot and then realize I'm not going very fast. I think races are better for me b/c I can chase people down.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38372 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.