BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-09-11 3:31 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Did a 4 mile run yesterday. Legs were dead from the bike the day before but overall I felt good. Going to run again tomorrow morning and then go on a bike ride with my tri group Tuesday evening. I'm definitely starting to get worn out by doing too much. These next few weeks are going to make or break me.

2017-09-12 6:59 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Strength training this morning was okay. Tried a new room in my gym, but it didn't have all the machines to do my normal routine, so I won't be going back there! Unfortunately, they moved two of the machines I use from my normal room and I have no idea where they put them! So...now I need to figure out how to do the core work I need without the machines. Please, no one say planks!

Run yesterday afternoon felt great!! Of course, my pants kept falling down (literally), so it wasn't a perfect situation, by any means. I guess all this working out is doing something to my body, even if the scale has moved up since June. I'll be spending my evening putting drawstrings in my running pants!

Later this afternoon a 45/30 brick that I'll unfortunately be doing on the trainer. Yesterday, the county road commissioner kindly dumped loose gravel all over the road leaving my neighborhood. So, to get to safe riding grounds, I have to drive my bike out and that just isn't worth it for 45 minutes. He couldn't wait three weeks?!?!?!?!
2017-09-12 1:58 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Strength training this morning was okay. Tried a new room in my gym, but it didn't have all the machines to do my normal routine, so I won't be going back there! Unfortunately, they moved two of the machines I use from my normal room and I have no idea where they put them! So...now I need to figure out how to do the core work I need without the machines. Please, no one say planks! Run yesterday afternoon felt great!! Of course, my pants kept falling down (literally), so it wasn't a perfect situation, by any means. I guess all this working out is doing something to my body, even if the scale has moved up since June. I'll be spending my evening putting drawstrings in my running pants! Later this afternoon a 45/30 brick that I'll unfortunately be doing on the trainer. Yesterday, the county road commissioner kindly dumped loose gravel all over the road leaving my neighborhood. So, to get to safe riding grounds, I have to drive my bike out and that just isn't worth it for 45 minutes. He couldn't wait three weeks?!?!?!?!

I hate when they move stuff around on me!  And yes, planks!!!!!!!

Today was 30 minutes on the bike and a PT beat down.  Tomorrow is an hour on the bike in the morning, swimming in the afternoon/evening.

2017-09-12 6:12 PM
in reply to: #5227809

User image

, California
Planks it is. Do as I say, not as I do!

-Matt
2017-09-13 8:05 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
ARGH!!! You guys are killing me with the planks! I HATE THEM!!!!!!! (said in the whiniest voice an adult can muster). *sigh* I guess I have figured out my October challenge.

Awesome swim this morning. 2600yds of fast and faster sets. I finally broke 2:00/100yds. It is slow for most, but fast for me! Now, if I could just get the stamina to keep that up for a few hundred/thousand yards at a time!

Later today: trainer ride, with replicated hill repeats. Not sure exactly how to do that, but I'm hoping with my power meter and the book on training with power, I'll get some insight into how hard to push to replicate climbing hills. On the road, I typically hit 500-525w going uphill, but I don't think I can even do that on the trainer, let alone hold it for 3'.
2017-09-13 9:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did a ride with my tri group yesterday. I really hate riding by myself but really enjoy it with other people! Even though we still can't really talk, I love having someone to push me. Was gonna go with the middle group (14-16mph) but felt like I needed to try and push myself to gain some confidence for my international tri I have coming up. I held on for most of the ride to the fastest people. It's a very hilly course (we did 1245 ft of elevation), and they lost me on the last huge hill. One guy fell off of them a little too and waited for me at the top. We ended up going 18.8mi at about 17.6mph. I felt really good and it made me feel much more confident and excited for this international tri I have in 2 1/2 weeks!

2017-09-13 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove ARGH!!! You guys are killing me with the planks! I HATE THEM!!!!!!! (said in the whiniest voice an adult can muster). *sigh* I guess I have figured out my October challenge. Awesome swim this morning. 2600yds of fast and faster sets. I finally broke 2:00/100yds. It is slow for most, but fast for me! Now, if I could just get the stamina to keep that up for a few hundred/thousand yards at a time! Later today: trainer ride, with replicated hill repeats. Not sure exactly how to do that, but I'm hoping with my power meter and the book on training with power, I'll get some insight into how hard to push to replicate climbing hills. On the road, I typically hit 500-525w going uphill, but I don't think I can even do that on the trainer, let alone hold it for 3'.

You can hold that for several minutes outdoors??  Wow.  I'll hit that for a few seconds, but not for any length of time.

As for replicating hills, go big ring, high gear, low cadence (like maybe 50 x 12 @ 70-80 rpm) and see where that lands you.  It's tough with just a fluid or magnetic trainer, for real hill emulation you need a direct drive trainer.  You also elevate your front wheel with a phone book (yes, I still have one of those...) or something.

2017-09-13 12:47 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove ARGH!!! You guys are killing me with the planks! I HATE THEM!!!!!!! (said in the whiniest voice an adult can muster). *sigh* I guess I have figured out my October challenge. Awesome swim this morning. 2600yds of fast and faster sets. I finally broke 2:00/100yds. It is slow for most, but fast for me! Now, if I could just get the stamina to keep that up for a few hundred/thousand yards at a time! Later today: trainer ride, with replicated hill repeats. Not sure exactly how to do that, but I'm hoping with my power meter and the book on training with power, I'll get some insight into how hard to push to replicate climbing hills. On the road, I typically hit 500-525w going uphill, but I don't think I can even do that on the trainer, let alone hold it for 3'.

You can hold that for several minutes outdoors??  Wow.  I'll hit that for a few seconds, but not for any length of time.

As for replicating hills, go big ring, high gear, low cadence (like maybe 50 x 12 @ 70-80 rpm) and see where that lands you.  It's tough with just a fluid or magnetic trainer, for real hill emulation you need a direct drive trainer.  You also elevate your front wheel with a phone book (yes, I still have one of those...) or something.

I know know about several minutes, but at least 30" (we don't have lots of big and/or long hills here). I have a lot of mass to move up the hill!

Thanks for the workout suggestion! I'll give it a shot. I have the trainer blocks (wife bought them with the trainer), so I'll finally get to use the second one!!
2017-09-14 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in 1800 in the pool last night, plus some core work including...yes, Gretchen, planks!!!  Planned day off today.

2017-09-14 7:47 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Everybody please stop saying planks!!!!!

Hill repeats on the trainer went well last night. Ended up doing LT zone 3' rest in Endurance zone 3' for a total of 1:15, by which time I was tired, which I guess is the point. Pool time this morning. 2050 yds, staring with 2x500. Those were nice because it gave me a good idea of 100 time over longer distance so I can do some calculating for my HIM. Speaking of HIM...I just finished the last swim workout of my plan!! Swim Taper starts now!!! I wish I could say the same about run and bike taper. Saturday. I can make it to Saturday!
2017-09-14 8:33 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I couldn't get myself to get out of bed this morning to run. Need to try to run when I get home from work. Think I am going to try to plan a run with someone to make me do it. Masters practice tomorrow. This week needs to end, I'm so tired!

Gretchen, I'm jealous of your taper. I feel like I haven't done enough of a plan to really taper.

Here's a question for anyone who has ever done an Oly. What do you do for nutrition? I've only done sprints, which aren't long enough to require nutrition. Is an Oly similar, or do you need to fuel a little while on the bike or something?

2017-09-14 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e I couldn't get myself to get out of bed this morning to run. Need to try to run when I get home from work. Think I am going to try to plan a run with someone to make me do it. Masters practice tomorrow. This week needs to end, I'm so tired! Gretchen, I'm jealous of your taper. I feel like I haven't done enough of a plan to really taper. Here's a question for anyone who has ever done an Oly. What do you do for nutrition? I've only done sprints, which aren't long enough to require nutrition. Is an Oly similar, or do you need to fuel a little while on the bike or something?

For Oly nutrition, I just drink some sports drink on the bike.  For most of us out there who are in the 2:30 - 3:15 finish time range, that's beyond what our glycogen stores can handle so we need a little extra.  That's a pretty fast course you're doing (assuming it's the same as Rock Hall in the spring), so hopefully you won't need too much.

Nutrition is such as personal thing, though.  I've seen people eat solid food during an Oly, and some that have just needed water. 

2017-09-14 9:27 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks, Mike! Gatorade I can definitely do. I typically cannot eat while I am exercising. My body has no appetite. If I'm hungry before a workout, I'm typically fine during the workout and don't realize how hungry I am. About a half hour after though I am typically ravenous.

Definitely hoping this is a fast course
2017-09-14 9:30 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

I couldn't get myself to get out of bed this morning to run. Need to try to run when I get home from work. Think I am going to try to plan a run with someone to make me do it. Masters practice tomorrow. This week needs to end, I'm so tired!

Gretchen, I'm jealous of your taper. I feel like I haven't done enough of a plan to really taper.

Here's a question for anyone who has ever done an Oly. What do you do for nutrition? I've only done sprints, which aren't long enough to require nutrition. Is an Oly similar, or do you need to fuel a little while on the bike or something?

I'm a b/MOP swimmer, MOP biker (around here, anyway), and a DFL runner, so an Oly takes me 3:30ish, or slightly longer if it is hilly. I must have nutrition, or I will not finish. All of the ones I've done did not have any sort of support on the bike, so I had my bottles filled with powerade (gatorade makes me burp) and then I did a gu every 20-30 minutes. Supposed to be 20, usually worked out to be 30 since I'd get so wrapped up in biking that I'd forget to eat it at the right time. For the run, I do water and gu, but only at aid stations. I don't do well with food or sugary things on the run.

Lately, instead of gu I've been using Payday candybars. They are cheaper than gu, taste better than gu, and are more readily available in my area. I've only used them for a sprint and training, but I do like them. It is like a little treat every four or five miles on the bike. Carrot...

I'll admit, I may over hydrate and over eat, but after the terrible bonking experience on my last HIM, I don't ever, ever want to do that again.
2017-09-14 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by nicole14e I couldn't get myself to get out of bed this morning to run. Need to try to run when I get home from work. Think I am going to try to plan a run with someone to make me do it. Masters practice tomorrow. This week needs to end, I'm so tired! Gretchen, I'm jealous of your taper. I feel like I haven't done enough of a plan to really taper. Here's a question for anyone who has ever done an Oly. What do you do for nutrition? I've only done sprints, which aren't long enough to require nutrition. Is an Oly similar, or do you need to fuel a little while on the bike or something?
I'm a b/MOP swimmer, MOP biker (around here, anyway), and a DFL runner, so an Oly takes me 3:30ish, or slightly longer if it is hilly. I must have nutrition, or I will not finish. All of the ones I've done did not have any sort of support on the bike, so I had my bottles filled with powerade (gatorade makes me burp) and then I did a gu every 20-30 minutes. Supposed to be 20, usually worked out to be 30 since I'd get so wrapped up in biking that I'd forget to eat it at the right time. For the run, I do water and gu, but only at aid stations. I don't do well with food or sugary things on the run. Lately, instead of gu I've been using Payday candybars. They are cheaper than gu, taste better than gu, and are more readily available in my area. I've only used them for a sprint and training, but I do like them. It is like a little treat every four or five miles on the bike. Carrot... I'll admit, I may over hydrate and over eat, but after the terrible bonking experience on my last HIM, I don't ever, ever want to do that again.

Another thing to consider is intensity, in an HIM your HR should be no higher than low Z3 (except passing or hills or whatever), which allows for more food absorption than an Oly (high Z3/low Z4) or a sprint (Z4 and above).  There's also a training component to this - you can teach your body to handle nutrition better, but it takes a while and you have to practice it a lot.  Race day nerves play a part, too. 

Nutrition - The Fifth Discipline. 

2017-09-14 5:09 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

I've only done the one Olympic distance, but it was probably the best executed race I've done.

I had 2 gels on the bike, 1 about 15km into the ride, and the 2nd 35km in. Otherwise just water on the bike, and through the aid stations on the run.

I prefer to separate nutrition and hydration, rather than having a sports drink like Gatorade, because I found in some early races I did if the weather wasn't great, I wouldn't drink enough and didn't get the calories in that I needed. So I stick to water and gels.

What ever you do tho, have a practice at least once or twice before race day, so you know how you'll react.

2017-09-15 9:25 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks everyone!

Masters practice this morning. We did a lot of drills and then did 14 x 100 on 2:05 with the goal to be 500 pace with lots of rest. I was swimming between 1:30-1:40 pace and loving that extra rest. Hoping to make practice tomorrow b/c it's our last outdoor practice of the year, but I have an event tonight and I'm not certain how sober I will be in the morning
2017-09-17 12:33 PM
in reply to: #5227972

User image

, California
Nicole - I've also only done one Oly so I have limited experience to share. But I did the same as was mentioned earlier, two gels (well I use Bloks but same calories 100 each serving) one beginning the bike and one during. Water otherwise.

Finally was able to spin for 35 minutes without pain a couple days ago. Gonna try to do 45 or so this morning and see how it goes. Very excited!

Also got my new bike delivered Friday. It's at the LBS getting assembled and then I'll go get fit on it. Busy week coming up so still may not be able to ride it for a bit, but it's mine!!

Question for everyone with a trainer- do you have a separate training wheel? If so how do you afford it, do you use a wheel from an old bike, buy a cheap single wheel somewhere, or anything else?

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

-Matt
2017-09-18 5:14 AM
in reply to: #5228149

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Taper has arrived!!! It arrived with two days of really crappy workouts. Friday's long bike sucked. My hydration system hasn't arrived yet, so I ended up going out with just two bottles (about 36oz total), enough for 1.5ish hours out. I missed my turn on the trail and ended up being out for three hours. It would have been ok, but one of the water stops I found on the map had a broken fountain. It was rough. The subsequent brick run was equally as terrible. Once I got back to my truck I couldn't stop myself from drinking everything in sight, which just left me full and bloated. Consequently, the last hour of my ride I hardly ate or drank anything. Enter terrible brick run.

Saturday was long run that ended up getting cut short due to foot pain. I felt like a tendon on top of my foot was going to tear off. No idea what it was, but I stopped and iced like crazy all weekend.

I'm off to Copenhagen today for a workshop on ancient Egyptian tomb builders and building. I don't know what workouts are going to look like, but I've scoped out a way I can rent a bike and ride to Sweden. That should be fun. Runs and swims planned too, but I'm keeping it relaxed given jet lag and the workshop. Off for a quick masters swim before heading to the airport!

Everyone have a great week!!!
2017-09-18 10:24 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Nicole - I've also only done one Oly so I have limited experience to share. But I did the same as was mentioned earlier, two gels (well I use Bloks but same calories 100 each serving) one beginning the bike and one during. Water otherwise. Finally was able to spin for 35 minutes without pain a couple days ago. Gonna try to do 45 or so this morning and see how it goes. Very excited! Also got my new bike delivered Friday. It's at the LBS getting assembled and then I'll go get fit on it. Busy week coming up so still may not be able to ride it for a bit, but it's mine!! Question for everyone with a trainer- do you have a separate training wheel? If so how do you afford it, do you use a wheel from an old bike, buy a cheap single wheel somewhere, or anything else? Hope everyone is having a good weekend. -Matt

I use my regular (PowerTap) wheel and I'll put an old, cheap tire on it once I'm inside for good for the winter.  When I'm going in and out I just leave my regular outdoor tire on.  I do have an extra wheel lying around, but don't use it for anything.

2017-09-18 10:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Question for everyone with a trainer- do you have a separate training wheel? If so how do you afford it, do you use a wheel from an old bike, buy a cheap single wheel somewhere, or anything else?

-Matt

I do have a separate trainer wheel. I've always used a training tire to reduce the wear on my actual road tires, and I found swapping a wheel over is faster and easier than changing a tire. My trainer wheel is a cheap old wheel, purchased 2nd hand from a friend for a 1.2 doz. beers.

Edited by bulfrog 2017-09-18 10:57 PM

2017-09-20 12:36 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I have been a bum exercise wise the last few days. The weekend ended up being pretty crazy and I was still recovering come Monday. Also, I had 2 hours of beach volleyball Monday afternoon and then a late (9:30pm...my usual bedtime) indoor volleyball match, and went grocery shopping in between. I hadn't gone in a month, so it was much needed. My legs were super sore Tuesday, so I woke up early and just meal prepped and went to an Os game last night (one of the last ones of the season!). Went to boot camp this morning and am currently feeling very dizzy.

I think I'm overextending myself I do that a lot. Hoping to get back on track tonight and tomorrow.
2017-09-20 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

So I finally got my 70.3 WC race report finished....it's wordy, as per usual (though I provided a Cliffs Notes version!), but if you're interested, it's here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=548640&posts=1#M5228333 

2017-09-20 9:26 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by ligersandtions

So I finally got my 70.3 WC race report finished....it's wordy, as per usual (though I provided a Cliffs Notes version!), but if you're interested, it's here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=548640&posts=1#M5228333 

Great read, and congratulations on your race.
2017-09-21 9:21 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went on a run this morning. My legs were dead for the first 10 minutes or so, but felt much better after that. Just did about 3.25 miles. Gonna try to do a longer run either tomorrow or Saturday morning, and swim practice the other morning. If I do the run Saturday I might make it a brick.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38596 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.