BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-09-21 9:59 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by ligersandtions

So I finally got my 70.3 WC race report finished....it's wordy, as per usual (though I provided a Cliffs Notes version!), but if you're interested, it's here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=548640&posts=1#M5228333 

Great read, and congratulations on your race.

+1, especially considering the $hit$how that led up to it. 

2017-09-22 11:44 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
This week has exhausted me but in a good way, as I am getting back into eating well and have had some good workouts.

Masters practice this morning. It was a rough one. Main set was 4x50 super fast, 3x100 fast, and then a 300 fast. I died as per usual b/c swimming once a week doesn't give you great endurance. We then did a 500 time trial which I was embarrassingly slow and got lapped by the people in my lane (which certainly added to my slowness, having to stop twice).

The last few weeks we have been working on some butterfly drills at the end of practice (all dolphin kick stuff, practicing the motion and breathing and underwater stroke), and each time he said we would get to do some butterfly. Today we actually did! One 25 of it, lol. I'm likely not going to pracitce the next two Fridays since I have races the next two Saturdays and am pretty sure I'm going to miss more butterfly, which I really enjoy so I'm sad to miss it. I know this is not so much tri related but I just really love the non-freestyle strokes haha.
2017-09-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All!!!

I'm exhausted! Finally got back to the states after four days in Copenhagen. It was awesome!!! I'm so glad I went! Two days sight seeing and two days at a workshop on ancient Egyptian tomb building. I only managed one workout while I was there. A four mile run on Wednesday morning. I walked an additional 17 miles around town on Wednesday, and frankly, that was too much walking on cobblestones!!! The outside of the tops of my feet hurt on Thursday!!! It was bad. I really was hoping to be able to swim in the canals, but I never got around to it. I think it would probably be cold as heck.

Taper is clearly in full swing! Must check my schedule and see what I'm actually supposed to be doing next week.
2017-09-23 8:05 PM
in reply to: #5228518

User image

, California
Gretchen that sounds like a great trip.

Nicole thanks for the race report. I still haven't finished mine from July 29! I just feel like the race reports I like to read are either funny and/or informative that I can learn from. I don't feel like I can write a report anyone cares about! Thanks for sharing, I can definitely learn from yours.

Thanks all for the trainer wheel responses. I am still undecided what to do. I may leave my backup bike on the trainer and therefore will just leave the same wheel on it. But I'm expecting to increase my trainer ride % as compared to past training, which means I'd only ride my new tri bike every weekend. I'll figure it out.

Tomorrow I am heading down to San Diego for what should be a really cool event. It's a 10 mile ocean swim relay where each team can have up to five members. Our usually Saturday morning open water swim group has like 7 teams heading down. This ranges from one superstar lifeguard swimming all ten miles himself to most of us normal teams splitting it up two miles each. Funny thing is, none is may beat him...seriously! Anyway, should be fun. I love swimming.

-Matt
2017-09-24 8:55 PM
in reply to: #5228526

User image

, California
So the swim was great. Good event. Weird area in LaJolla Cove. Lots of seals and sea life. Even samdsharks. A little disconcerting! I swam my mile legs in 28:35 and 27:59. Not bad. It was a very mentally challenging swim for me despite my comfort in the swim leg. Btw - the superstar lifeguard did all ten miles himself in 3h25m and won the individual competition, and yes beat our team of five by about 1.5 hours!!

-Matt
2017-09-25 7:18 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Tavo2311

So the swim was great. Good event. Weird area in LaJolla Cove. Lots of seals and sea life. Even samdsharks. A little disconcerting! I swam my mile legs in 28:35 and 27:59. Not bad. It was a very mentally challenging swim for me despite my comfort in the swim leg. Btw - the superstar lifeguard did all ten miles himself in 3h25m and won the individual competition, and yes beat our team of five by about 1.5 hours!!

-Matt

Good job Matt!! This sounds like an awesome event! I couldn't even image swimming 10 miles!! That guy is awesome!

2017-09-25 7:19 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Easy 1200m in the pool today. Taper crazies are hitting right about now (coupled with the knowledge that I hardly did any workouts last week) and I'm starting to do all the questioning typical of my pre-race jitters. Sigh...one day I'll figure out the mental component of this sport.
2017-09-25 8:07 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by Tavo2311

-Matt

Good job Matt!! This sounds like an awesome event! I couldn't even image swimming 10 miles!! That guy is awesome!

I second that, that sounds awesome! Nice work. And that lifeguard is IMPRESSIVE.
2017-09-25 8:10 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I ran about 6.5 miles on Saturday morning, then played in two football games. My legs are still struggling a bit. Going to do a short bike this evening, run tomorrow, boot camp Wednesday, short swim Thursday and light run Friday to get ready for my race this weekend. I'm super nervous.

Question: As I've only done sprints, which are short enough that I can get through it without having to use the bathroom, I'm wondering how the bathroom works for these longer races. Do people just hold it? Are there bathrooms on the course typically? Or do you just let it out while you are going? I know people did that during XC races in college but have never been in a race long enough where I had to make that choice.
2017-09-25 12:00 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

I ran about 6.5 miles on Saturday morning, then played in two football games. My legs are still struggling a bit. Going to do a short bike this evening, run tomorrow, boot camp Wednesday, short swim Thursday and light run Friday to get ready for my race this weekend. I'm super nervous.

Question: As I've only done sprints, which are short enough that I can get through it without having to use the bathroom, I'm wondering how the bathroom works for these longer races. Do people just hold it? Are there bathrooms on the course typically? Or do you just let it out while you are going? I know people did that during XC races in college but have never been in a race long enough where I had to make that choice.

All depends on the race, really. My Olys have never had a bathroom on the course beyond transition. My HIM had porta potties on the course at the mid-way point of the bike and at mile 2 of the run (not very helpful!!). My experience is that if I have to pee, I will sit down on the side of the road and do my business (shorts on) and then quick squirt with a water bottle to rinse. This is probably TMI, but if I try to just squat the design of tri shorts makes pee run down my leg (and into my shoe). I have much better luck if I just sit (on flat ground!). I've seen others just do it on the bike or step off the run path/road. At my HIM last year, a guy stepped off the road on the bike to relieve himself and got bit by a skunk.
2017-09-25 12:55 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Nicole thanks for the race report. I still haven't finished mine from July 29! I just feel like the race reports I like to read are either funny and/or informative that I can learn from. I don't feel like I can write a report anyone cares about! Thanks for sharing, I can definitely learn from yours. 

-Matt

Matt, to be honest, my race reports are more for me than for anyone else.  I like to remember what went well and what didn't (so I can remember what not to do next time around).  I read my race reports the night before big races and remind myself of the little details.  The further you get away from a race, the more you're like, "oh, that didn't hurt that bad" and remember the good parts....so it's good to remind myself of some of the dark moments and what I did to push through them....or if I didn't push through them, to remember how disappointed I was.  So I'd encourage you to write your race report, even if you don't end up publishing it

2017-09-25 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by nicole14e I ran about 6.5 miles on Saturday morning, then played in two football games. My legs are still struggling a bit. Going to do a short bike this evening, run tomorrow, boot camp Wednesday, short swim Thursday and light run Friday to get ready for my race this weekend. I'm super nervous. Question: As I've only done sprints, which are short enough that I can get through it without having to use the bathroom, I'm wondering how the bathroom works for these longer races. Do people just hold it? Are there bathrooms on the course typically? Or do you just let it out while you are going? I know people did that during XC races in college but have never been in a race long enough where I had to make that choice.

An Oly distance is probably not long enough to necessitate a bathroom break, but if you find that you have to go, you decide, "do I want to pee myself?" or "would I rather stop and use the bathroom?"  There are no wrong answers here....but if you stop and use the bathroom and find yourself one minute off the podium or one minute from winning your AG or the overall race, are you going to be disappointed?  Many will say no, some will say yes. 

TBH, even up to 70.3 distance, I don't usually have to go.  I usually feel like I could go, but there's a difference.  My bladder and I usually have a chat in T2 and I tell it, "if you have to go, feel free, but we're not breaking stride".  In 10 races, I've gone twice -- once because it was my first one and I was just learning my way around and once because I had to go, and went while sitting in T2 (sorry, not sorry!). 

2017-09-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen and Nicole, thank you both for your input! I am also hoping that I don't have to go but (TMI probably, but this topic is probably pretty TMI in general) I typically go about once an hour so it's quite possible I will have to. Interesting that people sit to do it. Now that I know this is a thing I am not so nervous I'm pretty sure I wouldn't actually physically be able to do it while running.
2017-09-26 3:12 PM
in reply to: #5228584

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Early afternoon run for me. Nice and easy on a HOT September day. I've already looked ahead to the weekend to check the weather. Nice day for Sunday, with high of 75 and low of 56. Indy has been warm these last couple of weeks, so the lake shouldn't be too cold. I'm eagerly awaiting the RD's email with the lake temp. He normally sends one out a couple of days before. I don't think I will wear a wetsuit, even if it is legal. Last time I wore it was last September and it was not a good experience. It felt like my chest was squeezed and I had trouble breathing and it was horrible. AND...I wasn't any faster in it!!
2017-09-27 7:16 AM
in reply to: #5228760

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Easy 1200m at masters this morning. Later a short brick is scheduled. I'm hoping to take my bike over to the airport (tiny, loca) and ride around the bike path there to remind myself what Aero feels like!
2017-09-27 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Early afternoon run for me. Nice and easy on a HOT September day. I've already looked ahead to the weekend to check the weather. Nice day for Sunday, with high of 75 and low of 56. Indy has been warm these last couple of weeks, so the lake shouldn't be too cold. I'm eagerly awaiting the RD's email with the lake temp. He normally sends one out a couple of days before. I don't think I will wear a wetsuit, even if it is legal. Last time I wore it was last September and it was not a good experience. It felt like my chest was squeezed and I had trouble breathing and it was horrible. AND...I wasn't any faster in it!!

It's been cooking hot here the last couple of days - car thermo was reading mid-90s out on the interstate on Monday.  The Chesapeake Bay is still 80 degrees, which is nuts for this time of year.

@NicoleMD, no advice on Oly peeing...never had to.   

2017-09-27 9:07 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Early afternoon run for me. Nice and easy on a HOT September day. I've already looked ahead to the weekend to check the weather. Nice day for Sunday, with high of 75 and low of 56. Indy has been warm these last couple of weeks, so the lake shouldn't be too cold. I'm eagerly awaiting the RD's email with the lake temp. He normally sends one out a couple of days before. I don't think I will wear a wetsuit, even if it is legal. Last time I wore it was last September and it was not a good experience. It felt like my chest was squeezed and I had trouble breathing and it was horrible. AND...I wasn't any faster in it!!

It's been cooking hot here the last couple of days - car thermo was reading mid-90s out on the interstate on Monday.  The Chesapeake Bay is still 80 degrees, which is nuts for this time of year.

If you never had to, then that makes me think I might be okay! It has definitely been hot here but looks like the weather will cool off just in time for my tri! The forecast for Saturday is looking PERFECT. Sunny with a high of 69 and 0% chance of rain.
2017-09-27 8:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

If you never had to, then that makes me think I might be okay! It has definitely been hot here but looks like the weather will cool off just in time for my tri! The forecast for Saturday is looking PERFECT. Sunny with a high of 69 and 0% chance of rain.

For what it's worth, I've never had, or wanted to make a technical stop on anything other than Ironman. I think I tend to just sweat it out of me.

Sounds like a good weekend for racing. Have an awesome time.
2017-09-28 6:53 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I just want to formally acknowledge the taper crazies have arrived. Last night my right calf was being dumb and feeling like it wanted to cramp. This morning my right hamstring is being picky. I have sniffles. I am obsessing over the weather. I just spent an hour reading the RD's latest email and following along the course maps on mapmyride, especially the elevation profiles.

Also, I had to tell my wife last night that my shuttle to T1/Swim start leaves at 5:50am. She is not pleased to know she is going to have to get up at 3am on a Sunday. :P
2017-09-28 9:25 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Two days to race day! I don't know where my race number belt is and have to pack tonight, which means tonight I will also be cleaning out my basement that has been a COMPLETE disaster since my roommate moved in in June. Not really what I want to worry about right now, but I guess it needs to be done at some point.

Gonna run at some point tomorrow, either in the morning or after the car ride to my aunt's house in the afternoon to loosen up.

Gretchen, I'd be upset to wake up at 3am on ANY day! Your wife is a trooper! If I don't get on here again before your race, GOOD LUCK!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. If anyone else is racing, good luck to you as well!
2017-09-28 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good luck this weekend, Nicole and Gretchen!

2017-09-28 12:00 PM
in reply to: #5228800

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sending the luck right back to you, Nicole!!

Have a great race!!
2017-09-28 7:36 PM
in reply to: #5228881

User image

, Vermont
I'm coming out of the cobwebs to say good luck to Nicole and Gretchen!!! Rock it, guys!!! Your weather looks to be perfect for racing!!

I've been following along with your training and successes, everyone!
I've been training for work so not much to log but I've been keeping up with the forum and cheering you all on!!
2017-09-28 9:12 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Good luck to those racing on the weekend.

Looking forward to those race reports!
2017-09-29 8:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short swim this morning (1100m) and I'll be doing a short 40min run later this morning before lunch. Tomorrow is two 15' workouts of bike and run, mostly just as a safety check for the bike and keep the legs moving for the run. Bike check in is tomorrow afternoon! EEK!! I've never done a race where I had to check my bike in the night before. This is also a point-to-point race, which I've never done before. The RD sent out a great email yesterday morning, but it brought up a lot of questions for me, which I emailed to him, but I'm not really expecting he has time right now to answer individual emails. We'll see, I guess. Anyone have tips on point-to-point races? I've already thought about having double of things I use both in T1 and T2, like body glide, socks, sunscreen, etc.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38432 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.