BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-09-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Originally posted by drfoodlove Short swim this morning (1100m) and I'll be doing a short 40min run later this morning before lunch. Tomorrow is two 15' workouts of bike and run, mostly just as a safety check for the bike and keep the legs moving for the run. Bike check in is tomorrow afternoon! EEK!! I've never done a race where I had to check my bike in the night before. This is also a point-to-point race, which I've never done before. The RD sent out a great email yesterday morning, but it brought up a lot of questions for me, which I emailed to him, but I'm not really expecting he has time right now to answer individual emails. We'll see, I guess. Anyone have tips on point-to-point races? I've already thought about having double of things I use both in T1 and T2, like body glide, socks, sunscreen, etc.

Make sure to bring a pump in the morning.  Your tires will lose some pressure overnight, especially if the temperature really drops.  Do another safety check in the morning also (not by riding but just picking the bike up and shifting - you never know what happens when you're not around.  Good luck.

2017-09-30 7:27 AM
in reply to: #5228898

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Safety check bike ride of 15' and a 20' shake out run this morning. My bike has me thinking it might have a slow leak in the back tire. I'm going to keep an eye on it today until bike check in and if there are any doubts before then, it is getting changed.

Also, I figured out why the race is starting so late (8am)--the sun didn't rise until 7:45!! I'd hate that if I lived here!!
2017-09-30 7:20 PM
in reply to: #5228961

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole--how did your race go?
2017-10-01 4:50 AM
in reply to: #5228984

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
5am race morning. It is 46F. The sun won't rise for another two hours. I have expensive tri gear spread all over this county. The bike course is hillier than I expected based on the elevation maps posted online. This is one of those moments I question this hobby as crazy.
2017-10-01 8:37 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, how did YOUR race go?!

Mine was mostly good. Will post a report late but here are the highlights: I screwed up on the swim and swam a bunch extra, which caused me to miss the podium in my age group. Pretty upset about that still (I swam to the buoy where we started but should've gotten out at the one before that. Probably added about 400m to my swim). The bike was torture. I was in no man's land for awhile and have a really hard time pushing myself on the bike. The only people I really saw were the insanely fast people with their aerobars and helmets that made me look like I was sitting still. I also had a pain under my right glute and was super uncomfortable the entire ride. Run was awesome though. Had a moment where I was again stuck in no man's land. Then a girl came up behind me and it reminded me that I was in a race. We ran together for awhile then on the 2nd lap I realized I felt pretty awesome and took off. I'm super excited for my sprint next weekend b/c I know the course and it's SO MUCH SHORTER.
2017-10-01 10:44 PM
in reply to: #5228992

User image

, Vermont
Awesome job, Nicole, despite the missed buoy! Looking forward to the RR! You will crush your sprint!!

2017-10-02 9:00 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Race Report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I have to say that during the bike I vowed I would never do another Oly again. After finishing though and looking back, I feel really positive about the race. I feel a bit like an idiot for missing the swim finish, but it was certainly a learning experience. I do think I need to do a bike fitting since clearly something was off this weekend. I've never been that uncomfortable on my bike before. Hopefully my sprint this weekend isn't that painful, but at least it's only half the distance!

Thank you guys for your advice and support. I definitely didn't need any nutrition during the race since I made sure to eat enough before. Having some gatorade on hand helped though, and there was gatorade at the water stations if needed (which I didn't).
2017-10-02 10:01 AM
in reply to: #5229021

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole--glad to hear your race went well, missed buoy and all!!

I DNFed my race. I made it though the swim and 44 miles of the bike. I knew from about mile two on the bike that I wasn't going to make it through the whole race. My right foot/ankle started acting up soon after getting on the bike. Burning pain going from about halfway down the shin down the top of the lateral half of my foot. Burning pain I thought I could deal with, but then it started shooting pain up my leg to the knee around mile 35. I did another nine miles out of stubbornness and pride.

I'm off to the doctor this afternoon.
2017-10-02 10:59 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh no, Gretchen! I hope it is not serious! Rest up and let us know what the doctor says.
2017-10-02 3:13 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Congratulations Nicole, looks like you had a great recovery after some early adversity. Sub 50 minute 10k, great run!

But unfortunately commiserations to Gretchen. Good luck at the Drs, and hopefully whatever the injury is heals fast and fully, and you're back training in no time. There's always another race. You'll nail the next one.
2017-10-02 4:53 PM
in reply to: #5229054

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
No break in my foot. Bad strain according to prompt care folks. Prescribed a brace, icing, and steroids to reduce inflammation. And, the warning to rest it. Two weeks no bike, no run, no swim kick. It might be the most well rested I'll have been since starting triathlon!

2017-10-03 12:31 AM
in reply to: #5229089

User image

, California
Gretchen - sorry to hear about the injury affecting your race but also glad it's not serious. There will always be more races and frankly it's about the process right? The race is simply a celebration of all the training. Enjoy the rest and don't ramp up too quickly when you return.

Nicole thanks for the race report, congrats.

On a sadder note, I'm listening to tom petty while watching coverage of Las Vegas. Drinking a lot of bourbon. Sad day

-Matt
2017-10-03 7:40 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I wrote up a race report for my event on Sunday (http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=286766). It isn't much, but then again, I didn't finish! I'm okay with that. I was really disappointed at the time, but as others have said, it is really about the process and the race is simply the icing on the cake. I enjoyed the process this year much more than last year. I was stronger during long workouts and spent much less of my time in debilitating soreness. I looked back over my training logs from last year and this year was just better. That's what I'm in this sport for, personal improvement over time.

Now that I'm in my off season, I plan to take a couple of weeks to recuperate without any type of structured plan. I may not even do much of anything to give myself time to heal up. Dr. says I can swim with my ankle, but I have a sore left deltoid, so I might even skip that. Maybe some long walks with the dog or a hike or two after my ankle gets feeling better.
2017-10-03 7:48 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I wrote up a race report for my event on Sunday (http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=286766). It isn't much, but then again, I didn't finish! I'm okay with that. I was really disappointed at the time, but as others have said, it is really about the process and the race is simply the icing on the cake. I enjoyed the process this year much more than last year. I was stronger during long workouts and spent much less of my time in debilitating soreness. I looked back over my training logs from last year and this year was just better. That's what I'm in this sport for, personal improvement over time.

Now that I'm in my off season, I plan to take a couple of weeks to recuperate without any type of structured plan. I may not even do much of anything to give myself time to heal up. Dr. says I can swim with my ankle, but I have a sore left deltoid, so I might even skip that. Maybe some long walks with the dog or a hike or two after my ankle gets feeling better.

Your positive outlook is inspiring! You are certainly the most committed triathlete I have come into contact with, and it is no surprise that you felt stronger this year. Enjoy your rest! It is much deserved. So glad that your injury is not too serious.
2017-10-04 10:42 PM
in reply to: #5229100

User image

, California
Echo Nicole's thoughts Gretchen!

-Matt
2017-10-05 7:08 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thanks everyone for your support! I always thought a DNF would be more difficult to deal with mentally/emotionally, but I've moved on relatively quickly. Maybe I just have too much other stuff going on right now. :P

Does anyone have any more races this season? Are we all in the off season now?

What does everyone have planned for the off season (if anything)?

2017-10-05 9:02 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Thanks everyone for your support! I always thought a DNF would be more difficult to deal with mentally/emotionally, but I've moved on relatively quickly. Maybe I just have too much other stuff going on right now. :P

I have a sprint tri this weekend! Haven't been doing much this week so hopefully I didn't lose my fitness!

I also just signed up to run a relay leg in the Baltimore Marathon (6.3 miles), I will run a turkey trot on Thanksgiving, and signed up for a 5 mile race in December called the Celtic Solstice. Swim meets will start up soon again as well. All these will hopefully motivate me to stay in shape over the winter!
2017-10-05 9:11 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

I have a sprint tri this weekend! Haven't been doing much this week so hopefully I didn't lose my fitness!

I also just signed up to run a relay leg in the Baltimore Marathon (6.3 miles), I will run a turkey trot on Thanksgiving, and signed up for a 5 mile race in December called the Celtic Solstice. Swim meets will start up soon again as well. All these will hopefully motivate me to stay in shape over the winter!

Dang! That is a busy off season! Good for you Nicole!
2017-10-05 10:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Busy - story of my life these days! Hopefully school doesn't keep these aspirations I have from coming to fruition.
2017-10-06 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Thanks everyone for your support! I always thought a DNF would be more difficult to deal with mentally/emotionally, but I've moved on relatively quickly. Maybe I just have too much other stuff going on right now. :P Does anyone have any more races this season? Are we all in the off season now? What does everyone have planned for the off season (if anything)?
I have a sprint tri this weekend! Haven't been doing much this week so hopefully I didn't lose my fitness! I also just signed up to run a relay leg in the Baltimore Marathon (6.3 miles), I will run a turkey trot on Thanksgiving, and signed up for a 5 mile race in December called the Celtic Solstice. Swim meets will start up soon again as well. All these will hopefully motivate me to stay in shape over the winter!
Busy - story of my life these days! Hopefully school doesn't keep these aspirations I have from coming to fruition.

That's awesome.  A few years ago I had running races almost every month and it paid huge dividends.  Those Masters swim meets scare me - the Canton group tried to talk me into it when I swam a lot but I have horrible starts and I open turn.   

2017-10-06 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I wrote up a race report for my event on Sunday (http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=286766). It isn't much, but then again, I didn't finish! I'm okay with that. I was really disappointed at the time, but as others have said, it is really about the process and the race is simply the icing on the cake. I enjoyed the process this year much more than last year. I was stronger during long workouts and spent much less of my time in debilitating soreness. I looked back over my training logs from last year and this year was just better. That's what I'm in this sport for, personal improvement over time. Now that I'm in my off season, I plan to take a couple of weeks to recuperate without any type of structured plan. I may not even do much of anything to give myself time to heal up. Dr. says I can swim with my ankle, but I have a sore left deltoid, so I might even skip that. Maybe some long walks with the dog or a hike or two after my ankle gets feeling better.
Your positive outlook is inspiring! You are certainly the most committed triathlete I have come into contact with, and it is no surprise that you felt stronger this year. Enjoy your rest! It is much deserved. So glad that your injury is not too serious.

+1 - your dedication is inspiring and also glad the injury isn't horrible.

2017-10-06 2:10 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Thanks everyone for your support! I always thought a DNF would be more difficult to deal with mentally/emotionally, but I've moved on relatively quickly. Maybe I just have too much other stuff going on right now. :P Does anyone have any more races this season? Are we all in the off season now? What does everyone have planned for the off season (if anything)?
I have a sprint tri this weekend! Haven't been doing much this week so hopefully I didn't lose my fitness! I also just signed up to run a relay leg in the Baltimore Marathon (6.3 miles), I will run a turkey trot on Thanksgiving, and signed up for a 5 mile race in December called the Celtic Solstice. Swim meets will start up soon again as well. All these will hopefully motivate me to stay in shape over the winter!

That's awesome.  A few years ago I had running races almost every month and it paid huge dividends.  Those Masters swim meets scare me - the Canton group tried to talk me into it when I swam a lot but I have horrible starts and I open turn.   

Open turn is okay! My coach open turns sometimes b/c he had the same surgery as you I think. It's all about the experience and the competition with yourself! We have another woman on our team who also had that back surgery and she's swimming her fastest times ever! Just sayin'...
2017-10-06 11:20 PM
in reply to: #5229201

User image

, California
Happy weekend all. Just checking in tho no training to report for me. I can't get out of my funk so whatever I'm just not gonna push it.

Even if I have no training to report I can still participate as I had some beer tonight. One of annual go to's, Sam Adams Octoberfest. Love it.

Enjoy the weekend.

-Matt
2017-10-06 11:22 PM
in reply to: #5229340

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Oh! Well, if we are just reporting beer consumed, I'm in!! Enjoyed some Edmund Fitzgerald Porter tonight along with some Red Stag bourbon by Jim Beam. Both are great!

I love me a good Oktoberfest too!!
2017-10-07 8:35 PM
in reply to: #5229342

User image

, California
I did somehow drag myself to my Saturday ocean swim. Can't believe I said drag myself. But honestly I didn't feel like going. If it weren't for a friend I recruited new to the group I told I'd be there, I wouldn't have gone. ??

Anyway, it was a great swim. Water still warm here. (Almost 70!). Glad I went.

Back to reporting on the "B" in our name! More octoberfest with dinner tonight and now I'm watching the light go away with some Old Forester single barrel bourbon. And still listening to Tom Petty btw

-Matt
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38448 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.