BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-12-14 10:28 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by nicole14e

Went to boot camp yesterday morning. Going to masters tomorrow morning and have a 5 mile race on Saturday. Hopefully it's not too cold!

You know - if you were from Cleveland, the cold wouldn't bother you!

Seriously - Good Luck!

DQ

2017-12-14 10:30 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

OMG - wow.

Sorry your life is all upside down, Gretchen.  Good luck with the doctor.

X2. I will be praying for you and your family!
2017-12-14 11:46 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Please let me lay down two quick thoughts for you if I might.

Thought #1: My god - how things have changed! The last time I wrote a bio for this BT page I was training for IMMD and feeling pretty good about myself. That was two years ago. Now, after all that has happened over the last couple of years, I'm just training to lose the weight so I can go for a short walk without injuring myself. The difference between the two of me couldn't be more stark - in terms of both the mental and the physical.

THought #2: I need some kind of Rocky moment - you know when the music plays and everything comes together. I need a moment where I could watch myself getting stronger and faster because right now, my day to day progress is snail - like.

I know I need to just keep putting in the work but it's so frustrating to have fallen so far so fast. Plus, I just wish it was easier and that I had more motivation to make a change in my life. Right now, I'm working out because I'm forcing myself to - not because I want to.

Any thoughts on how to get my in gear?
2017-12-14 11:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Went to boot camp yesterday morning. Going to masters tomorrow morning and have a 5 mile race on Saturday. Hopefully it's not too cold!

You know - if you were from Cleveland, the cold wouldn't bother you!

Seriously - Good Luck!

DQ

haha! Nooooooo thank you! I'd be a Browns fan, too...ewwie (hehe j/k!)
2017-12-14 12:02 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Please let me lay down two quick thoughts for you if I might.

Thought #1: My god - how things have changed! The last time I wrote a bio for this BT page I was training for IMMD and feeling pretty good about myself. That was two years ago. Now, after all that has happened over the last couple of years, I'm just training to lose the weight so I can go for a short walk without injuring myself. The difference between the two of me couldn't be more stark - in terms of both the mental and the physical.

THought #2: I need some kind of Rocky moment - you know when the music plays and everything comes together. I need a moment where I could watch myself getting stronger and faster because right now, my day to day progress is snail - like.

I know I need to just keep putting in the work but it's so frustrating to have fallen so far so fast. Plus, I just wish it was easier and that I had more motivation to make a change in my life. Right now, I'm working out because I'm forcing myself to - not because I want to.

Any thoughts on how to get my in gear?

DQ, we all go through ebbs and flows! Honestly, part of the problem may be negative self-talk. Don't let yourself say you do not feel like working out. When you are going for a workout, tell yourself you are excited to be able to do that b/c some people are not as lucky. I think changing those negative thoughts could change your outlook a lot. Fake it 'til you make it! This article discusses ways to work on that: https://mrsmindfulness.com/the-four-keys-to-overcoming-negative-thin...

I would also make small goals. Don't focus on where you were a few years ago or where you want to be in a few months or years. Focus on what you want to accomplish by next week. Make a list of 2-3 smaller, achievable goals and you will be able to celebrate those small victories. We used to do weekly goals on here. Maybe we can start doing that again?
2017-12-14 11:39 PM
in reply to: #5232686

User image

, Vermont
^^^^^^^. Beautifully stated by Nicole.
I like weekly goals. Does anyone have one to get us going?

2017-12-15 6:08 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 ^^^^^^^. Beautifully stated by Nicole. I like weekly goals. Does anyone have one to get us going?

Sure.  And this is for next week as this week is just about in the books for me.

5K in the pool
4 hours on the bike/trainer/spin
1 hour on the treadmill doing whatever my body permits me to do
focus on healthy eating habits

I'm pretty close to reaching those goals this week, 'cept I went to The Last Jedi last night and blew off swimming this morning.  Will try to get into the pool later.

2017-12-15 6:25 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Please let me lay down two quick thoughts for you if I might. Thought #1: My god - how things have changed! The last time I wrote a bio for this BT page I was training for IMMD and feeling pretty good about myself. That was two years ago. Now, after all that has happened over the last couple of years, I'm just training to lose the weight so I can go for a short walk without injuring myself. The difference between the two of me couldn't be more stark - in terms of both the mental and the physical. THought #2: I need some kind of Rocky moment - you know when the music plays and everything comes together. I need a moment where I could watch myself getting stronger and faster because right now, my day to day progress is snail - like. I know I need to just keep putting in the work but it's so frustrating to have fallen so far so fast. Plus, I just wish it was easier and that I had more motivation to make a change in my life. Right now, I'm working out because I'm forcing myself to - not because I want to. Any thoughts on how to get my in gear?
DQ, we all go through ebbs and flows! Honestly, part of the problem may be negative self-talk. Don't let yourself say you do not feel like working out. When you are going for a workout, tell yourself you are excited to be able to do that b/c some people are not as lucky. I think changing those negative thoughts could change your outlook a lot. Fake it 'til you make it! This article discusses ways to work on that: https://mrsmindfulness.com/the-four-keys-to-overcoming-negative-thin... I would also make small goals. Don't focus on where you were a few years ago or where you want to be in a few months or years. Focus on what you want to accomplish by next week. Make a list of 2-3 smaller, achievable goals and you will be able to celebrate those small victories. We used to do weekly goals on here. Maybe we can start doing that again?

I've been through several mindfulness "trainings" (I think they're more like "awareness" more than anything).  It is amazing what you can convince your mind and body to do.

Like Nicole said, small goals, and goals that you are in control of.  Get to the gym 4 times this week.  Work on a positive mindset a few minutes each day.  Read a book about something you know nothing about.  If a triathlon goal drives you, sign up for one of the Lifetime Fitness indoor things in February. 

Don't be about the end game, be about the journey.  I haven't raced anything since October 2014 because of my back problems, but I keep plugging away at what i can do.  Sure it's frustrating not being able to throw down a 46' 10K or a 2:30 Oly like I could then, but I just keep the goals small and focus on what I can control.

Being a triathlete is not what defines you, it's just part of what you are.

2017-12-15 8:30 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by aviatrix802 ^^^^^^^. Beautifully stated by Nicole. I like weekly goals. Does anyone have one to get us going?

Sure.  And this is for next week as this week is just about in the books for me.

5K in the pool
4 hours on the bike/trainer/spin
1 hour on the treadmill doing whatever my body permits me to do
focus on healthy eating habits

I'm pretty close to reaching those goals this week, 'cept I went to The Last Jedi last night and blew off swimming this morning.  Will try to get into the pool later.

I was looking for you this morning! Asked some random guy if he was Mike, lol.
2017-12-15 8:40 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Goals for next week:
1) Don't drink wine every night. This week has been nuts and my liver needs a break.
2) Do the first chapter of Intuitive Eating and share with you guys!
3) Start using the DownDog yoga app that I downloaded a month ago...my body is so tight and sore!

2017-12-15 8:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
3000 yards at masters practice this morning. We did a long warm up (3x - 200 fs, 100 stroke). Then did 3 225s, 3 150s, 3 75s, then did 5x 100 fs FAST (I was hitting 1:27) and 75 backstroke. It was tough but I feel awesome today. And I think I get to leave work after our holiday luncheon which starts at 11am! Good thing too, b/c we have snow hitting around rush hour. Everyone is in a panic.

Happy Friday everyone! Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

2017-12-16 6:55 AM

User image

Expert

3000 yards at masters practice this morning. We did a long warm up (3x - 200 fs, 100 stroke). Then did 3 225s, 3 150s, 3 75s, then did 5x 100 fs FAST (I was hitting 1:27) and 75 backstroke. It was tough but I feel awesome today. And I think I get to leave work after our holiday luncheon which starts at 11am! Good thing too, b/c we have snow hitting around rush hour. Everyone is in a panic.

Happy Friday everyone! Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

Nice work in the pool! I would pay to be as fast as you are - 1:27 is beyond my comprehension as I'm now doing 2:15 and the fastest I've ever gone was 1:47 and that was for a single 100.

Hope you had a good time at your party. You know, if you were from Cleveland, you'd know how to drive in the snow.
2017-12-16 7:08 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Qua17 Please let me lay down two quick thoughts for you if I might. Thought #1: My god - how things have changed! The last time I wrote a bio for this BT page I was training for IMMD and feeling pretty good about myself. That was two years ago. Now, after all that has happened over the last couple of years, I'm just training to lose the weight so I can go for a short walk without injuring myself. The difference between the two of me couldn't be more stark - in terms of both the mental and the physical. THought #2: I need some kind of Rocky moment - you know when the music plays and everything comes together. I need a moment where I could watch myself getting stronger and faster because right now, my day to day progress is snail - like. I know I need to just keep putting in the work but it's so frustrating to have fallen so far so fast. Plus, I just wish it was easier and that I had more motivation to make a change in my life. Right now, I'm working out because I'm forcing myself to - not because I want to. Any thoughts on how to get my in gear?
DQ, we all go through ebbs and flows! Honestly, part of the problem may be negative self-talk. Don't let yourself say you do not feel like working out. When you are going for a workout, tell yourself you are excited to be able to do that b/c some people are not as lucky. I think changing those negative thoughts could change your outlook a lot. Fake it 'til you make it! This article discusses ways to work on that: https://mrsmindfulness.com/the-four-keys-to-overcoming-negative-thin... I would also make small goals. Don't focus on where you were a few years ago or where you want to be in a few months or years. Focus on what you want to accomplish by next week. Make a list of 2-3 smaller, achievable goals and you will be able to celebrate those small victories. We used to do weekly goals on here. Maybe we can start doing that again?

I've been through several mindfulness "trainings" (I think they're more like "awareness" more than anything).  It is amazing what you can convince your mind and body to do.

Like Nicole said, small goals, and goals that you are in control of.  Get to the gym 4 times this week.  Work on a positive mindset a few minutes each day.  Read a book about something you know nothing about.  If a triathlon goal drives you, sign up for one of the Lifetime Fitness indoor things in February. 

Don't be about the end game, be about the journey.  I haven't raced anything since October 2014 because of my back problems, but I keep plugging away at what i can do.  Sure it's frustrating not being able to throw down a 46' 10K or a 2:30 Oly like I could then, but I just keep the goals small and focus on what I can control.

Being a triathlete is not what defines you, it's just part of what you are.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the support and the suggestions. I agree that being more mindful would help. And I love the idea of weekly goals. I will roll those out this Sunday like I used to do back in the day.

But I think I need to do some thinking about why I'm doing what I'm doing. Towards that end, I've spent the last couple of days contemplating why I should exercise and eat right and in the spirit of the season I came up with a list of 12 things which I will post in the next message so it doesn't get lost in the last couple of posts. I think it would be beneficial if we all did this - as I would like to see what motivates you guys as there may be things that I'm not considering.
2017-12-16 7:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
On the 12th day of Christmas the triathlon Gods gave to me:

12 lower BP and less chance of a heart attack like the one that killed my grandfather and father
11 pants and shirts that actually fit
10 satisfaction and peace that come from a good workout
9 cool gear and races to blow my hard earned money on
8 a better self image
7 a chance to date a beautiful and cool woman and get remarried (sorry if this offends anyone)
6 less back and knee pain
5 the chance to be a good role model for my kids
4 more race medals (that make my feel good about myself)
3 the opportunity to hang out with cool people and make new friends
2 more self confidence
1 A longer life so I can spend more time with my kids and grand kids

Edited by Qua17 2017-12-16 8:51 PM
2017-12-16 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
On the 12th day of Christmas the triathlon Gods gave to me:

12 lower BP and less chance of a heart attack like the one that killed my grandfather and father
11 pants and shirts that actually fit
10 satisfaction and peace that come from a good workout
9 cool gear and races to blow my hard earned money on
8 a better self image
7 a chance to date a beautiful woman and get remarried (sorry if this offends anyone)
6 less back and knee pain
5 the chance to be a good role model for my kids
4 more race medals (that make my feel good about myself)
3 the opportunity to hang out with cool people and make new friends
2 more self confidence
1 A longer life so I can spend more time with my kids and grand kids
2017-12-17 7:20 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
I am going to copy/paste this list and print it for myself, thanks Dave!!

Juan

2017-12-17 7:50 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Ladies and Gents: It's time for goals of the week! If you haven't already posted your goals - be sure to do so by Monday. Have a great week.

1) Work out 5 days this week
2) Log food on MFP 5 days this week
3) Support my fellow BDASers 24/7/365
2017-12-18 5:51 AM

User image

Expert
It's Monday at 6:50am... Off to my new job. Please wish me well!

And hope that I'm able to get a workout in this evening after work. I think I'm gonna have to start getting up at the crack of dawn to get in my workout but we shall see!
2017-12-18 7:50 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

It's Monday at 6:50am... Off to my new job. Please wish me well!

And hope that I'm able to get a workout in this evening after work. I think I'm gonna have to start getting up at the crack of dawn to get in my workout but we shall see!

I didn't know you were starting a new job, good luck!

I love the list you made! I will work on mine this week and send out. Great idea, DQ!
2017-12-18 10:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had my 5 mile race this weekend. I'm really pleased with how it went! I ran with a girl on my swim team, and we ran about 8:30 pace. Afterwards there was mulled wine, so a good amount of that was consumed... It was a lot of fun! I think I will definitely do this race again!
2017-12-18 7:02 PM

User image

Expert

Had my 5 mile race this weekend. I'm really pleased with how it went! I ran with a girl on my swim team, and we ran about 8:30 pace. Afterwards there was mulled wine, so a good amount of that was consumed... It was a lot of fun! I think I will definitely do this race again!

Kudos on the good race! What exactly is mulled wine?

2017-12-18 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
COnfession time - 3 days without working out.... With the start of the new job and dinner with the family, I knew it was going to be tough today to squeeze a workout in.... So, I'm gonna try again tomorrow before work. We shall see how it goes...

Hope everything is lovin' life!
2017-12-19 4:30 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Had my 5 mile race this weekend. I'm really pleased with how it went! I ran with a girl on my swim team, and we ran about 8:30 pace. Afterwards there was mulled wine, so a good amount of that was consumed... It was a lot of fun! I think I will definitely do this race again!

It's a really gross concoction of cheap red wine, honey, some sort of fruit (usually oranges), then spiced to death with cinammon.  Oh, and it's hot.  

Nice job on the race, Nicole.  That's a fun race.

Good luck on the new job, Dave.  That's awesome news.  Oh.  Dark.  Thirty.  Do.  It.

Yestreday was an hour on the trainer, 5 x 3' in no man's land between anaerobic and VO2 max.  Badly planned workout on my part but the last couple intervals were difficult.  Today will be a swim and some strength training.

2017-12-19 8:14 AM

Nashville, Tennessee
Yea, great race Nicole..and good luck with the new job Dave. Again, don't worry about what has happened just control what happens from here on out. You got this and we know you can get creative in getting a workout in, go for it.

Also, forgot to mention after my race last weekend that my new home brew was ready and very good. I think I mentioned a while back that I got a home brew kit for my bday (Northern Brewer) and had started that process. Well race day (last weekend) was four weeks and go time. It's a Chinook IPA, not terribly hoppy for an IPA but a really good beer especially coming from someone who has never done it before. Asked for a few more for Christmas so we'll see how this new hobby evolves.

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well and having a good week so far. We have a Christmas luncheon on Thursday and off Friday so shorter week this way. Then we'll be headed to Kansas for the holidays with the in-laws. Everyone have a great week and good luck with your training.

2017-12-19 1:01 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e Had my 5 mile race this weekend. I'm really pleased with how it went! I ran with a girl on my swim team, and we ran about 8:30 pace. Afterwards there was mulled wine, so a good amount of that was consumed... It was a lot of fun! I think I will definitely do this race again!

It's a really gross concoction of cheap red wine, honey, some sort of fruit (usually oranges), then spiced to death with cinammon.  Oh, and it's hot.

It is not gross! It's red wine, apple cider, some honey and mulled with spices. It's quite delicious, and the fact that it is warm makes it even better, especially on a cold day!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38367 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.