BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-11-06 2:55 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by drfoodlove Everything messes with my foot! Seriously, the other morning I woke up and realized the weight of the blanket pushing on my foot was causing pain.
Stop trying to play through the pain! Although I admire your commitment, long term you're going to be much better off having a month or 2 of near zero workouts and getting healthy, than trying to push through it and making the injury worse. I know you already know this. Remember this game is about consistent work over years, not weeks. So take the break, and be better for it long term.

Take this knowing it's from a guy who is still getting back to 100% from back surgery...

In the Fall of 2011 and early 2012, I was a total physical mess (back, knees, shoulder) from trying to keep it going somehow.  I took like 3-4 months of really low volume and slowly built back up from there.  I then set all of my running PRs in 2013/2014, so you CAN come back even better after a long layoff. 

I third this! Listen to your body. If it's telling you to take some time off, do it. I know it stinks, but you will be better off in the long run.

2017-11-06 2:56 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
My bum-ness has continued. I was sick and couldn't breathe most of the weekend. I did play 3 football games, but that doesn't help me in the turkey trot or 5 miler i'm signed up for in the next month or so. Gonna try to get a run in before volleyball tonight. It's beautiful outside!
2017-11-09 11:12 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Finally ran this morning! Just a short 2.5 mile run, but it's what I needed to realize I was being a wuss about the cold. Boot camp yesterday.

I've also been focusing on eating well since I tend to put on a few lbs. in winter. I've actually dropped a couple pounds over the last few weeks and hope to continue that trend. It helps that I'm SUPER poor right now, so need to save money wherever I can.
2017-11-09 1:54 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Hi all! It has been a while since I posted in this forum, but I have been reading and following you. After my IM in July I am a bit like Andrew (not that I had a new baby, that would be a shock! -my kids are teenagers already-), trying to go out there and do something, Some family issues and a lot of traveling for work (by the way Nicole, last week I was in San Antonio for a meeting, you are not far from there, right?) keeps me out of training more that I would like to. So right now I am taking swim lessons one-on-one to improve my technique once per week, and focussing on 2018, when I intend to do a HIM and a full marathon. After a few weeks hope to be back regularly here, you are a huge motivation when trying to achieve a goal!!

Juan
2017-11-09 5:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Juancho

Hi all! It has been a while since I posted in this forum, but I have been reading and following you. After my IM in July I am a bit like Andrew (not that I had a new baby, that would be a shock! -my kids are teenagers already-), trying to go out there and do something, Some family issues and a lot of traveling for work (by the way Nicole, last week I was in San Antonio for a meeting, you are not far from there, right?) keeps me out of training more that I would like to. So right now I am taking swim lessons one-on-one to improve my technique once per week, and focussing on 2018, when I intend to do a HIM and a full marathon. After a few weeks hope to be back regularly here, you are a huge motivation when trying to achieve a goal!!

Juan

Hey Juan, nice to hear from you! Glad you are doing what you need to do now to get ready for next season!

I am a 3 hour plane ride from San Antonio but I was just there in September! Hope you had a nice trip! If you are ever in Baltimore or DC though, definitely hit me up! All of you!

Edited by nicole14e 2017-11-09 5:47 PM
2017-11-14 11:49 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by nicole14e

Juan

Hey Juan, nice to hear from you! Glad you are doing what you need to do now to get ready for next season!

I am a 3 hour plane ride from San Antonio but I was just there in September! Hope you had a nice trip! If you are ever in Baltimore or DC though, definitely hit me up! All of you!

hahaha not that close I guess... in Jan should go to New Jersey, but also not too close (and too cold to go out for a run!!)

2017-11-14 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Hey Everyone! It's me! Long time no see.

After running Boston in April I haven't done much in the way of working out. In the interim, I have gained almost 60 pounds and am now at my heaviest weight ever - 270!

I am trying to get back into the swing of things and start working out again. I also want to spend some time on BT because I miss you guys and I hope this note finds you happy and healthy!

Life for me is a mix of good and bad.... I lost my job at my new school last Friday and that's a good thing because the school was not the right fit for me. The only reason I had taken the job was because I had been unemployed for so long and because I wanted to teach Middle Schoolers. Now that I am unemployed, I have no idea what to do. I might get a job at a brewery. For those of you who pray - please add me to your list.

I've got a question for you. I've been trying to think of something to buy myself that would help get my training up and going again and I think I have narrowed it down to a Garmin Heart Rate Monitor or a CycleOps Magnus bike trainer. I know hoe essential the HR monitor is to all facets of tri so I am leaning in that direction but the active bike trainer looks like a lot of fun and would help me stay in shape during the winter up here in MASS. Do you all have any thoughts?

Please do me a favor in addition to the advice and check in quickly here in the BDAS so I know who is still active. I'll read a few pages back but I'd love to hear from all of you.

I'm off to the gym. Hoping to have a more strenuous workout than last time.

Best,
DQ

2017-11-14 1:21 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert

Juan

hahaha not that close I guess... in Jan should go to New Jersey, but also not too close (and too cold to go out for a run!!)

I live about 5 hours North of New Jersey in Massachusetts where it's even colder. You could handle an outdoor run. You've be surpirsed how fast you can run when you're cold and want to get warm : )

How are things Juan?
2017-11-14 1:24 PM

User image

Expert

Already signed up for the 2018 Baltimore Sprint Tri (my most recent one). It was $50 to sign up on 10/31 so I went for it. I also was invited to age group nationals for the Oly but am not sure if I'm going to go. It's in Cleveland, which is not the most exciting location, and it costs $187, which is pricey (plus having to pay for travel). I also have a wedding in France in either August or September, so need to wait for that date to commit to anything.

UH Hello!!!! Cleveland? Not the most exciting location??? You clearly have been misinformed!
2017-11-14 4:52 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Qua17

After running Boston in April I haven't done much in the way of working out. In the interim, I have gained almost 60 pounds and am now at my heaviest weight ever - 270!

I am trying to get back into the swing of things and start working out again. I also want to spend some time on BT because I miss you guys and I hope this note finds you happy and healthy!

Life for me is a mix of good and bad.... I lost my job at my new school last Friday and that's a good thing because the school was not the right fit for me. The only reason I had taken the job was because I had been unemployed for so long and because I wanted to teach Middle Schoolers. Now that I am unemployed, I have no idea what to do. I might get a job at a brewery. For those of you who pray - please add me to your list.

I've got a question for you. I've been trying to think of something to buy myself that would help get my training up and going again and I think I have narrowed it down to a Garmin Heart Rate Monitor or a CycleOps Magnus bike trainer. I know hoe essential the HR monitor is to all facets of tri so I am leaning in that direction but the active bike trainer looks like a lot of fun and would help me stay in shape during the winter up here in MASS. Do you all have any thoughts?

Please do me a favor in addition to the advice and check in quickly here in the BDAS so I know who is still active. I'll read a few pages back but I'd love to hear from all of you.

Best,
DQ

Hi Dave, good to see you're still around and kicking.

It's pretty quiet around here these days, I'd guess that's a bit to do with the end of tri season and coming into winter for you northern hemisphere types.

For me, since you took your break, our little boy arrived, which has shaken things up quite a bit, as I'm sure you can imagine. Long story short I haven't swum since Ironman in March, and haven't touched the bike since becoming a dad in June. I've figured out that trying to multisport at the moment is just too difficult and time consuming, so for now and 2018, I'm a runner. BUT I'm not abandoning Tris forever. I do strongly feel I need to do another Ironman, and see what it's like to finish in the daylight. But not yet. So I'm still hanging around and seeing how my virtual tri buddies are getting on.

As for buying a training tool, if I were in your position I would look to get a basic magnetic/fluid trainer for use in winter. You should be able to spend less than $50. Excuse me if I'm over stepping the mark, but you say you're currently out of work, so I assume cashflow is limited at the moment. So you don't want to be spending on 'nice to haves' rather than 'must haves'

a HRM is a good tool, but RPE is almost as good (better in some cases) and free.
A super flash trainer is also nice, but you can train just as well indoors over winter with a basic model, and just busting your on it. There are plenty of workouts on youtube, no need to spend big money here either.

Goodluck getting your training going again, I look forward to living my Tri life vicariously through you.
And best of luck with the job hunt
2017-11-14 4:54 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I have gained almost 60 pounds and am now at my heaviest weight ever - 270!

Almost forgot this. I also gained a ton of weight, and ended up 25lbs above my already to high Ironman weight. I've lost some of the 'baby weight' but a long way to go.

If you're keen on some sort of weightloss accountability/challenge let me know

2017-11-15 8:32 AM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, Vermont
Hi all! I just got a note from Dave and like Juan I’ve been following everyone but not posting and need to get back on.

Old Nicole - awesome job!!! I know it’s Cleveland but that would be so cool! Congrats on the invite!!

New Nicole, I just flew into Houston yesterday and was thinking about you. I’m overnighting in Midland, TX right now and do a flight back over to Houston this afternoon - I’ll wave!

I took a new job at the beginning of September and was in training for 2 months for it so only got sporadic short runs in. I was in MO and next to Ferguson so runs were on the treadmill. I’m out on line now and always have my running gear at least. I need to pick up a swimming harness for the hotel pools - any recommendations??
I need to get a routine as I’m signed up for IMLP next July. Of course I signed up for it before I knew I had this job so I may have to defer or something - not sure how I’m going to train but we’ll see!!
2017-11-15 12:27 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Juan

Haha definitely still a hike but let me know when and where! I have friends in NY and NJ that I am due to visit, so if I happen to be up there the same weekend maybe we can at least meet up for a delicious beer (or wine, as I believe we are both wine people )
2017-11-15 12:30 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Already signed up for the 2018 Baltimore Sprint Tri (my most recent one). It was $50 to sign up on 10/31 so I went for it. I also was invited to age group nationals for the Oly but am not sure if I'm going to go. It's in Cleveland, which is not the most exciting location, and it costs $187, which is pricey (plus having to pay for travel). I also have a wedding in France in either August or September, so need to wait for that date to commit to anything.

UH Hello!!!! Cleveland? Not the most exciting location??? You clearly have been misinformed!

Haha! I am more of a beach girl Would've been going in an instant if it was in FL or SD or somewhere else warm and dreamy.
2017-11-15 12:41 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Best,
DQ

I'm so happy to hear from you! So sorry to hear about the job, but working at a brewery sounds like it would have really great BDAS perks! I unfortunately do not have knowledge about trainers or HRMs so I'm not going to be of much use in this area. So glad you are getting back into workouts again though. Focus on small goals, eat lean clean and green and you will drop those extra lbs in no time.

As for me, I am still training a little bit, but not very seriously. I have a turkey trot next week (5k) and then a 5 mile race in mid-December. I'm really doing them both for fun but it's nice having a reason to continue training. I took a break after my tris but have finally gotten back into a routine in the last week. Trying to still check in regularly even though it's been pretty quiet here, as you all help me with my motivation I've also started swimming again and hope to start doing swim meets soon. Our coach crushed us Monday with a really tough speed workout, but I was just happy to be in the pool again.

Otherwise life is crazy. I am working full time and started going back to school part time so busy is an understatement on how to describe me, but I'm enjoying it a lot! Bummed that Ned Stark was right again...winter is here.
2017-11-17 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey everyone.  Was off the grid for a few days on vacation in Cancun  and then a work trip to Hartford. 

@Dave - welcome back!  Sucks about the job, though working at a brewery would be cool and hopefully you could work in the tasting room and meet people.  Not quite teaching, I know, but at least you'd be interacting with folks.  And as for the HRM vs. Trainer debate, I'd say there's no contest - TRAINER.  Hands down the best investment I've ever made in my fitness.  I still have my original Kurt Kinetic Fluid trainer (Road Machine) from 2011, bought it on sale at Performance Bike for like $260.  That and Trainer Road (@ ~ $10/month) and I have everything I need.  I honestly don't see the value in "smart" trainers, but I don't use any of the virtual ride apps like Zwfit.  Like Andrew said, there are even more reasonable trainers out there if you're just looking to mash the pedals over the winter and don't need any entertainment or structure.

@Nicole - might be hitting Masters soon - I think my swim fitness is to where I could physically survive a practice.  YAY!! 

@Jenn - cool on the new job, hopefully you find a hotel pool that works.  There's also a website www.swimmersguide.com, which has locations of public pools.  I used that once on a trip to Des Moines and found a Y with reasonable drop-in rates.

@Juan - welcome back. 

@Andrew - a run focus (that's what we'll call it...) will probably help you in your next IM for sure.

I've had a few good weeks of consistent training, no running yet, but solid swims and a few decent rides (indoors on said trainer).  My FTP has dropped like 50 watts in two years, time to reverse that trend.   I'm not sure I could even finish an FTP test right now.  LOL

Speaking of Cancun - they actually have craft beer there now!  I drank a local Pale Ale on draft called (appropriately) Cancun Pale Ale.  It was actually pretty good...I would compare it to the Sierra Nevada style (pine and citrus) but it was much lighter.  They also had a ton that were in bottles.  That's definitely a good sign to get some variety from the non-stop onslaught of corn-syrupy Mexican beers like Corona, Dos XX, Sol, etc.

Happy Purple Friday everyone!!

2017-11-17 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Dave again - Gretchen is still around and active, but is in Egypt for a month (again...) so will be off the grid more or less.  We had other folks really active until summer ended (John, Matt, Nicole #2).

2017-11-17 12:56 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike, that would be awesome! I am going on Monday so let me know if you end up deciding to go then, or if you will wait until after the holiday! FYI there is not really a structured practice next weekend. I think Saturday they are holding like, a mock swim meet or something.

Went to masters this morning. Did a bunch of drills, then did 3 sets of: 25 side kick drill, 25 switch drill, 6x75 on 1:30, hitting 1:12 or below. If we missed 1:12 two times in a row we had to sit one out. I managed to hit around 1:10 each time but it was a struggle. He said he will make my time faster next time lol. Ended with some backstroke drills but I left a little early in order to make it to work on time.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! Happy purple Friday, Mike!
2017-11-17 2:49 PM

Nashville, Tennessee
Hey guys very new to the Triathlon deal. I'm guessing now isn't a great time to join a group but I just started training so I wanted to see if I could jump into one. Would it be better to wait until the new year? Thanks for any advice you could give.
2017-11-18 5:07 PM
in reply to: #5231042

User image

, Vermont
EHouse20 - it’s never too soon to join!! Welcome!

@ Mike, thanks for the site, I will definitely look into that!! I’ll be in a different city almost every night so it will come in handy. I’m also looking into a swim harness for when I can’t find a decent pool.
2017-11-18 7:47 PM
in reply to: EHouse20

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by EHouse20 Hey guys very new to the Triathlon deal. I'm guessing now isn't a great time to join a group but I just started training so I wanted to see if I could jump into one. Would it be better to wait until the new year? Thanks for any advice you could give.

Yes - welcome.  Anytime is a great time to join. 

Do us a favor and post a bio - there's a template and examples at the very beginning of the forum.  Just post whatever you're comfortable posting.  Looking forward to another BDASer!

2017-11-20 8:52 AM

Nashville, Tennessee
Ok great, here we go...

NAME: Eric from Nashville, TN

STORY: So I grew up an athlete and very competitive. I played baseball and swam when I was younger. Played two sports in high school, baseball and football. Went on to play baseball in college, first at a JUCO then a four year here in Nashville. For the last couple years since I've been out of coaching baseball I've been looking for something to A) get back into shape and B) something new I could compete at/ challenge myself. So while we were on a late season family trip to Panama City Beach we stayed next door to where they were staging Ironman Florida. Got a chance to go over and check out the booths and talk to a few people. Then, since we have a 6 month old, we were up in plenty of time to grab a cup of coffee and head out to the balcony for the swim start. It was awesome to watch everyone out there cheering and so excited at 6:30am. Watched the entire swim stage and then went out later in the day to watch some come to the finish and others head out for the second loop. Anyways, after seeing this I knew it was something I wanted to do (not the Full IM) but definitely some form of triathlon. So here we are beginning some training in November and hope to participate in my first race in April.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my beautiful wife Jake and have a 6 month old daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently swimming and running, have access to a pool so it has been nice to get back into that. Swam some when I was younger so it's definitely not foreign to me just slightly challenging diving back into it. Not too much of a fan of running but I've started with one and two mile runs and feel pretty good with those so look to build on that moving forward. Still in the process of finding a bike, don't want to spend a ton of money on one but also realize I probably don't need to buy something really cheap.

2016 RACES: None

The Plan for 2017: I've been scouting some local Sprints/Oly's that I'll register for. Looking at the possibility of doing one per month from April-August.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Definitely beer, Bud Light but also a good IPA or Session

WEIGHT LOSS: Would like to lose 10-15 pounds, the dad bod was a thing for me before I became a dad...ha

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I've always been a part of a team and have lost that since leaving baseball. I appreciate people on a team encouraging each other but also holding each other accountable. As mostly I'll just be listening and soaking up information I would hope that at some point I would be able to help someone. Oh and I like to drink beer...ha

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to learning all I can and maybe meeting some of you in the future.
2017-11-20 9:34 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome Eric! I am Nicole. I have done a few sprints and just did my first Oly in September (definitely prefer the sprints! lol). It's great you are starting to train now, you will be good to go by April for sure.

As questions come up, feel free to ask them! It's been pretty quiet on here lately but there are a few still checking in to give their advice!
2017-11-20 1:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Eric,

Welcome to the group.

I've got to say, taking on Triathlon with a 6 month old is mighty impressive. I'm not sure how much you've read back, but I've got a 5 1/2 month old and have taken a step back.

Can I ask how you're scheduling your workouts around work/family time? Before baby, when I was in full triathlon mode working out after work was my go to during the week. Maybe a morning swim on days I did doubles. But now, there's no chance of that happening so I'm limited to early morning running.

If you've got a secret for how to fit it all in, I'd be keen to learn it
2017-11-21 8:37 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

Nashville, Tennessee
Hey Andrew,
Yea it's been interesting so far that's for sure. To be fair I would say that I'm not far enough along to give you any good ideas. I've been getting most of my workouts in before work. I also haven't progressed to the point where I'm doing terribly long workouts or multiple workout days either. So far I've been fortunate that we have a metro pool facility (company pays for), a community park with running trail and workout facility at our offices all within about a quarter mile. This has been a huge advantage so far to have options so close. As I progress I'm sure I'll have to get a little creative and would love to share any tips I can.

Just curious, how many hours a week do you guys train for a sprint/oly as opposed to maybe a HIM? In my mind a future goal would be a HIM at some point down the road but looking forward to getting my feet wet next year with a few sprints.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38690 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.