BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-15 5:11 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 So I'm using garmin connect and when I zoom in it doesn't seem to let me analyze both pace and distance, it doesn't even let me save the split either. I'm finding the program very useless? What a better program to use to track my progress that'll at least let me create my own splits to analyze because I don't want to count my walks as part of my total pace.

when you use a walk interval with a Garmin, it does will show what you did for each interval, so  you should see your walk intervals broken out from your run. Are you not seeing that or are you looking for something else?

In Garmin Connect, click the Splits tab (located beneath the graphs and above the section with Distance, Heart Rate, etc.).  It will show you the splits from any run/walk (or any workout that you created) and break that out or any time that you hit the lap button.

BT will also show your splits from Garmin.  Click the arrow to the right of your run.  It will pop out with more information and towards the bottom it will show splits data.  

2017-01-15 7:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Smithtown, New York
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 So I'm using garmin connect and when I zoom in it doesn't seem to let me analyze both pace and distance, it doesn't even let me save the split either. I'm finding the program very useless? What a better program to use to track my progress that'll at least let me create my own splits to analyze because I don't want to count my walks as part of my total pace.

when you use a walk interval with a Garmin, it does will show what you did for each interval, so  you should see your walk intervals broken out from your run. Are you not seeing that or are you looking for something else?

In Garmin Connect, click the Splits tab (located beneath the graphs and above the section with Distance, Heart Rate, etc.).  It will show you the splits from any run/walk (or any workout that you created) and break that out or any time that you hit the lap button.

BT will also show your splits from Garmin.  Click the arrow to the right of your run.  It will pop out with more information and towards the bottom it will show splits data.  

It seems when I create my splits by clicking on time or heart rate graphs it'll only let me choose time or distance but not both o.0
2017-01-15 8:38 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Rileyvb91

It seems when I create my splits by clicking on time or heart rate graphs it'll only let me choose time or distance but not both o.0

The splits are created by the watch during the workout.  They are created two ways -- (1) when using a "workout" that you set up in Garmin Connect or on your watch -- this includes run/walk intervals that you can set on your watch, or  (2) by pressing the the lap button.

2017-01-15 10:15 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Rileyvb91

yes the X axis of your graph can only have one variable along it, whereas the Y Axes (is this the plural of axis) can have up to 3 variables.
2017-01-16 9:00 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner Mel I did this one last year. It was fun http://www.bbscrun.com/stpaddysdayrun

That's definitely the course, I suppose a number of races utilize the trail/tunnels so it will be a matter of picking the most appealing one.  Thanks!

2017-01-16 9:04 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok Manatees I think light may have dawned on this marble head! The "Turtle Challenge" has been going for 3 weeks now and so far no-one has dropped a day, so that means 5 days a week of running, mostly easy for me. The epiphany is that oh my goodness if you run more regularly it actually gets easier and you actually end up enjoying more runs than you slog your way through. AMAZING hey who would have thought. Would love some ideas for new "Turtle Challenges" if any one has any suggestions. We are thinking that for the next one the first person to drop a day has to buy everyone breakfast when we are all together next. The payout can't be too big cause we are all in saving mode so that we have the $$$ to do Disney next year.

LOVE this, congrats, Stacey!!!  Keep up the good work!  Maybe since you are all in saving mode now, keep a record of who drops days and they owe the group a breakfast or drinks or snacks in Disney while you are there.  Just don't agree to any meals IN the park, $$$$$!!!!

2017-01-16 9:07 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by abake

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by melbo55

OK, Manatees, I'm hoping someone can help me out.  I'm compiling a 'Wish List' of destination races and I know there is one vaguely 'out west' that is part (or all) dirt trail and it goes through an old historic railroad tunnel.  It looks kinda desert-y to me, but then again what does this east coaster know?  Does anyone know the name of it?  Yeah, I know, I didn't give the best of details...

Edited to add: this is a running race

What other races are you looking at? This sounds like an awesome list, I want to see it

Anyone else live in Winter Storm Jupiter's path? We are bracing for a pretty severe icing situation here in Kansas. My work region also covers Omaha, Oklahoma City and Tulsa, who are all going to be affected as well. Yay winter!

I think that Anne, Ben, and Mary G. might also be in the the affected area (is Chicago going to be affect or only part of the state?).  Thinking of all of you!

Melanie, like Lisa, I am wondering what else is on your list.

Yes, our area received a skim of freezing rain yesterday morning. Just enough to make the roads super slick. Worst part of the day was going out to the mailbox!! By early afternoon the roads were in pretty good shape, but I left my little Mazda at home and we used Steve's heavy Explorer to run some errands and go to the gym. Just slightly south of this area got hit much worse. We are supposed to get round 2 later this morning. Hoping to get a run in before the freezing rain comes and confines us to the house. The good thing about this is that I'm getting a lot of decluttering done, AND I cleaned out the fridge!!!

We're clear for the weekend up here, but it's supposed to be moving in through the night. Just in time for the Monday morning commute.

We did get an ice layer down during the night, but there was enough rain and salted roads that things were fine up here this morning. Still under a watch for a few more hours and then it's just rain into tomorrow with temps stay above freezing for a while.

2017-01-16 9:08 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Thought about that last night; just too exhausted to think through the tech side of it. (I don't have a cell phone that records, and not sure my I-pad was charged.) There ended up being several different types of music (opera, pop, Tet songs, drinking songs), all equally horrid and loud! Then my upstairs neighbors apparently decided that since it was noisy anyway, now would be a good time to give their power drill a workout and hang some pictures or secure their Ikea furniture or something. So that was added to the cacophony for a while. No, no noise ordinances! I swear there must be laws here against sleeping too much. I challenge anyone to sleep past 6:25 AM in my neighborhood (when the leaf-blower man comes by). Just before Christmas break, they started paving the street in front of my house for several mornings in a row at 2:45 AM. Street parties are common for birthdays, Tet, even (oddly) funerals. It's apparently okay to occupy an entire residential street with your party, or hold a rave in a park in a residential area, until all hours, including on school nights. Two years ago just before Tet, my next-door neighbors had workmen completing a rush renovation job on their place that went on daily (pounding on adjoining walls, hours of drilling) from 5 AM to almost 1 AM for a week. (Because you can't renovate, or even clean, once Tet actually starts--it's inauspicious....) Actually was so tired that I somehow managed to fall asleep--plugs in ears, all windows closed, bedroom door closed, pillow and blanket over head. Woke up about 1:30 AM and party was over. Also discovered that poor Smudgee (fur kid--the one who's not deaf), who'd spent the afternoon cowering under the bed during the thunderstorms and then the evening cowering from the party, was STILL under the bed--I think he'd given up after almost 10 hours! He also had his annual shots today. Now we're both worn out!

Wow, that sounds very trying and not pleasant.  Here's hoping you get a break from the noise tonight.  Poor kitty, poor you!

2017-01-16 9:20 AM

Master
Northern IL

Was anything said about privacy levels with the logs and friending people? I'm aware of three levels: completely open to anyone, friends only, and just me. I have it set to friends only. I have to add everyone to my friends list to do that. At the same setting, they would have to add me to theirs for me to see them. I try to make sure everyone in the group can see. Usually done the easy way by letting Chris & Janyne put the table at the top of their training log first. I try to make sure everyone is included, but there are usually one or two that are restricted and can't get to the friend button on their page.

Good point, Ben!

Training logs have a closed setting, which is fine if you're not a Manatee but we look at each other's logs to help each other so we ask that people please use one of the other settings as a condition of membership.

The other settings are open to anyone and friends-only.  If you want to do friends-only, please use a roster of Manatees to friend us all in the manner that Ben mentioned above (Ben, be sure to include me!).

You're there! Just haven't logged anything a week now with this stubborn cold affecting everything respiratory. Worst of it was early in the week. Now it just won't go away entirely.

Still says restricted.

Feel better soon!

Ok NOW it should be working.

2017-01-16 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow, quiet day in the Pod!  Here's a little video that should make you all want to come for a little swim in the Florida lakes!

2017-01-17 4:27 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I got a break; people about four blocks down got another party to deal with (on a Monday night)! Fortunately could not hear it from here. Or maybe I am just going deaf. There is truly a law, or at least a deeply ingrained cultural practice against sleeping in. I started a trainer ride at 4:30 AM (long story). Five minutes later, a big street-sweeping machine comes by. (It's big enough and loud enough to shake the building.), and then a couple of big construction trucks, well before 5. It's pretty common for me to be running between 5:30 and 5:45 AM (when it's still dark) and run into a couple of my students and their parents, out for walks or dog walking.

2017-01-17 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Testing, testing.... The good news is...I'm no longer getting freaky "This IP has been restricted" messages when I hit "Reply", so perhaps I am back in someone's good graces. Maybe an ISP issue--my modem spontaneously turned itself off about an hour ago, and I just re-set it. The bad news is....I'm exhausted from double workouts, and there's a street party with at least 20 tables and an MC and ghastly--it's beyond ghastly--no idea how to describe it--music that's loud enough to shake my building just outside my front window. (I live on the second floor.) Apparently one of the businesses downstairs is throwing a party for their employees. Music sounds like a woman being murdered. I don't even think it is Vietnamese music--that is usually a kind of pleasant guitar/folk music genre at most parties or at most some soulful ballads with a few rather sedate traditional instruments. Maybe the business is Chinese run as it sounds like Beijing opera and pop. Shoot. Me. Now. Seriously jealous of my deaf cat right now.

Ah!  I was just going back to re-read this and I'll bet resetting the modem helped the situation.  Regardless, we are sure happy that you're able to post again! 

2017-01-17 7:16 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok Manatees I think light may have dawned on this marble head! The "Turtle Challenge" has been going for 3 weeks now and so far no-one has dropped a day, so that means 5 days a week of running, mostly easy for me. The epiphany is that oh my goodness if you run more regularly it actually gets easier and you actually end up enjoying more runs than you slog your way through. AMAZING hey who would have thought. Would love some ideas for new "Turtle Challenges" if any one has any suggestions. We are thinking that for the next one the first person to drop a day has to buy everyone breakfast when we are all together next. The payout can't be too big cause we are all in saving mode so that we have the $$$ to do Disney next year.

It's amazing what consistency can do! I'm glad you are enjoying it as you have a lot of miles ahead of you if you are going to run Dopey

Does everyone like alcohol? If so, a round of drinks. Or, something more relevant to long running - supply some of the other's favorite nutrition.

No one of us drink and we don't regularly run together because mum and E live 500 miles away.

The first person who drops a day, has to buy a case of (insert nutrition here - Picky Bars, Gu, etc.) and have it shipped...

The first person who drops a day has to by Disney Gift Cards for the others (can use to pay for food on your trip, or hotel if you stay on property, etc.)

2017-01-17 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Wow, quiet day in the Pod!  Here's a little video that should make you all want to come for a little swim in the Florida lakes!

Gator chow!

2017-01-17 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

Originally posted by lisac957

OK, Manatees, I'm hoping someone can help me out.  I'm compiling a 'Wish List' of destination races and I know there is one vaguely 'out west' that is part (or all) dirt trail and it goes through an old historic railroad tunnel.  It looks kinda desert-y to me, but then again what does this east coaster know?  Does anyone know the name of it?  Yeah, I know, I didn't give the best of details...

Edited to add: this is a running race

What other races are you looking at? This sounds like an awesome list, I want to see it

Anyone else live in Winter Storm Jupiter's path? We are bracing for a pretty severe icing situation here in Kansas. My work region also covers Omaha, Oklahoma City and Tulsa, who are all going to be affected as well. Yay winter!

I think that Anne, Ben, and Mary G. might also be in the the affected area (is Chicago going to be affect or only part of the state?).  Thinking of all of you!

Melanie, like Lisa, I am wondering what else is on your list.

Yes, our area received a skim of freezing rain yesterday morning. Just enough to make the roads super slick. Worst part of the day was going out to the mailbox!! By early afternoon the roads were in pretty good shape, but I left my little Mazda at home and we used Steve's heavy Explorer to run some errands and go to the gym. Just slightly south of this area got hit much worse. We are supposed to get round 2 later this morning. Hoping to get a run in before the freezing rain comes and confines us to the house. The good thing about this is that I'm getting a lot of decluttering done, AND I cleaned out the fridge!!!

We're clear for the weekend up here, but it's supposed to be moving in through the night. Just in time for the Monday morning commute.

We did get an ice layer down during the night, but there was enough rain and salted roads that things were fine up here this morning. Still under a watch for a few more hours and then it's just rain into tomorrow with temps stay above freezing for a while.

I'm glad that you didn't have to deal with a messy commute yesterday!

2017-01-17 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Was anything said about privacy levels with the logs and friending people? I'm aware of three levels: completely open to anyone, friends only, and just me. I have it set to friends only. I have to add everyone to my friends list to do that. At the same setting, they would have to add me to theirs for me to see them. I try to make sure everyone in the group can see. Usually done the easy way by letting Chris & Janyne put the table at the top of their training log first. I try to make sure everyone is included, but there are usually one or two that are restricted and can't get to the friend button on their page.

Good point, Ben!

Training logs have a closed setting, which is fine if you're not a Manatee but we look at each other's logs to help each other so we ask that people please use one of the other settings as a condition of membership.

The other settings are open to anyone and friends-only.  If you want to do friends-only, please use a roster of Manatees to friend us all in the manner that Ben mentioned above (Ben, be sure to include me!).

You're there! Just haven't logged anything a week now with this stubborn cold affecting everything respiratory. Worst of it was early in the week. Now it just won't go away entirely.

Still says restricted.

Feel better soon!

Ok NOW it should be working.

I'm in!

2017-01-17 7:58 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

It's amazing what consistency can do! I'm glad you are enjoying it as you have a lot of miles ahead of you if you are going to run Dopey

Does everyone like alcohol? If so, a round of drinks. Or, something more relevant to long running - supply some of the other's favorite nutrition.

No one of us drink and we don't regularly run together because mum and E live 500 miles away.

The first person who drops a day, has to buy a case of (insert nutrition here - Picky Bars, Gu, etc.) and have it shipped...

The first person who drops a day has to by Disney Gift Cards for the others (can use to pay for food on your trip, or hotel if you stay on property, etc.)

How susceptible are the people in the challenge to pushing more than they should? Think I'm trying to remember if there are any reprieve periods in this or just how long it was going for. Mostly making sure things don't get carried away in a challenge as they are a tool to helps towards an end goal. Remembering back to the 30 runs in 30 days challenge. It's a really good one for people getting into running, but a number became carried away, warping it into running as many consecutive days as possible. Trying to do 30/30 10 times in the year isn't the same as 300/300. Or like in the more advanced ST 100/100, some are becoming overly concerned with the leaderboard as some may run twice a day pretty much every day, inflating their run total. The challenge is still only to make 100 runs in 100 days. The end goal is still improved run fitness.

2017-01-17 9:49 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Fachamie, that's a whopper!

2017-01-17 9:51 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Fachamie, that's a whopper!

hahaha

That phrase never fails to get a smile out of me!

2017-01-17 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by Hot Runner I got a break; people about four blocks down got another party to deal with (on a Monday night)! Fortunately could not hear it from here. Or maybe I am just going deaf. There is truly a law, or at least a deeply ingrained cultural practice against sleeping in. I started a trainer ride at 4:30 AM (long story). Five minutes later, a big street-sweeping machine comes by. (It's big enough and loud enough to shake the building.), and then a couple of big construction trucks, well before 5. It's pretty common for me to be running between 5:30 and 5:45 AM (when it's still dark) and run into a couple of my students and their parents, out for walks or dog walking.

I feel your pain. Next door neighbour {who knew that Americans spell neighbors differently}, is having a total refit (kitchen/plumbing/electrics} so there is a constant racket during work hours {8:30am to 6pm} which just happens to be when I try to sleep :/ The joys of a night shift worker.

2017-01-17 12:45 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Ha ha ha, my sister and I visited that ranch/preserve when we went down to visit Dad a few years ago.  We saw a lot of big gators (and plenty of other wildlife) but I don't think we saw that fellow! Then again, when we were there it was mating season and there were certain trails that were off limits.

2017-01-17 1:23 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ha ha ha, my sister and I visited that ranch/preserve when we went down to visit Dad a few years ago.  We saw a lot of big gators (and plenty of other wildlife) but I don't think we saw that fellow! Then again, when we were there it was mating season and there were certain trails that were off limits.

Or play golf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AohZpDGVw-0

2017-01-17 1:30 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

NYC Marathon application page is open! I've never run it but after finishing my first marathon this past December, I decided to throw my hat in the application pool. Have any of you ever done it?
2017-01-17 1:50 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

I did it twice. It is definitely a bucket list experience. I lived in New York for 10 years and did it the last two years I lived there. It kind of felt like saying goodbye to the city It is a very different from the other marathons that I've done, even the big ones, just because you have to get bused to Staten Island and it has such a late start.
2017-01-17 1:53 PM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

20 Weeks to Victoria 70.3!

I think I am going to do the level 5 Matt Fitzgerald plan with a few tweaks since I can't get to the pool 3 days a week. If you do a half marathon during training, what week do you usually do it?

Barbara
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102