BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-17 2:10 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Smithtown, New York
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition
Originally posted by TXTriRook

NYC Marathon application page is open! I've never run it but after finishing my first marathon this past December, I decided to throw my hat in the application pool. Have any of you ever done it?

I live an hour away on LI and never thought of running it, guess I don't like the crowds and can't run fast enough to avoid them lol!

2017-01-17 2:21 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Smithtown, New York
I'm so glad that I can finally say I have a structured training plan to progress my fitness. These first 12 weeks are about building endurance, beginning to run hills and some downhill intervals to encourage faster running. My following 12 weeks continue to build endurance while bringing in 2 brick workouts a week, one being bike dominant and the other run dominant. After a 2 week break my goal is to get myself in racing shape while getting a 50 mile bike ride and a 12 mile run 4 and 6 weeks out of the mighty hamptons triathlon. And the day before halloween I got the suffolk county half mary as my other goal race
2017-01-17 3:23 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks for including my wife in the racing manatees! She and her 53 yr old aunt ran together (1st marathon for both!) and they did great. Finished in 4:38 without any walking! It was warm and muggy, so not ideal marathon conditions either.

Justin good luck with the NYC lottery! Just found out I didn't get into Leadville. Kind of relieved so I can continue my run focus all year.
2017-01-17 7:56 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Sorry for being MIA for the past few weeks, been busy with the new job, work training and studying. I am currently staying at my moms place until we move on Feb 8 but I do have my bike and trainer set up in the basement now. Weekends are mostly spent packing and getting ready for the move.
2017-01-18 7:26 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook NYC Marathon application page is open! I've never run it but after finishing my first marathon this past December, I decided to throw my hat in the application pool. Have any of you ever done it?

Congrats!  I have heard that it is an amazing experience.  I know someone who said, "I felt like a rock start the whole 26 miles."  I hope that you get in. I look forward to hearing about it!

2017-01-18 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black Thanks for including my wife in the racing manatees! She and her 53 yr old aunt ran together (1st marathon for both!) and they did great. Finished in 4:38 without any walking! It was warm and muggy, so not ideal marathon conditions either. Justin good luck with the NYC lottery! Just found out I didn't get into Leadville. Kind of relieved so I can continue my run focus all year.

Woo hoo! They rocked it!

2017-01-18 7:27 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL Sorry for being MIA for the past few weeks, been busy with the new job, work training and studying. I am currently staying at my moms place until we move on Feb 8 but I do have my bike and trainer set up in the basement now. Weekends are mostly spent packing and getting ready for the move.

I sort of figured that you were in transition.

Good mom, letting you set up the trainer at her place ;-)

2017-01-18 7:33 AM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 20 Weeks to Victoria 70.3! I think I am going to do the level 5 Matt Fitzgerald plan with a few tweaks since I can't get to the pool 3 days a week. If you do a half marathon during training, what week do you usually do it? Barbara

I've never done a half marathon as part of a half iron build.  It should certainly work out fine but I don't know what week I'd put it in.  What does the plan look like about four weeks out from Victoria 70.3?

2017-01-18 7:49 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 20 Weeks to Victoria 70.3! I think I am going to do the level 5 Matt Fitzgerald plan with a few tweaks since I can't get to the pool 3 days a week. If you do a half marathon during training, what week do you usually do it? Barbara

I've never done a half marathon as part of a half iron build.  It should certainly work out fine but I don't know what week I'd put it in.  What does the plan look like about four weeks out from Victoria 70.3?

What's the intention of the half marathon? I didn't see it in this overview of the plan. The tune-ups are a sprint and an olympic. I did run about that far in training, but didn't do a half marathon race.

2017-01-18 7:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by bmarsh8386

20 Weeks to Victoria 70.3!

I think I am going to do the level 5 Matt Fitzgerald plan with a few tweaks since I can't get to the pool 3 days a week. If you do a half marathon during training, what week do you usually do it?

Barbara

I've never done a half mary as part of a 70.3 build either. Heck I haven't even done a stand alone half mary yet.

But I am doing a half mary Feb 4th and have a 70.3 April 2nd this year. I'm not doing the HM specifically for the 70.3 though. I'm just on a big run focus right now and am trying to do lots of stand alone running races.

edit: I should also add that I'm running 50+ mpw right now with a 15 mile long run, so running a 13.1 race shouldn't stress me as much as someone running considerably less.

Edited by Jet Black 2017-01-18 7:54 AM
2017-01-18 9:04 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Hey everyone, we are now closed to new members unless they are willing to "convince" (bribe?) us that they belong in here. So this is our group for 2017. I am looking forward to another great year. As you probably noticed, we are a bit chatty at times and not solely about triathlon training. I have found that this sort of thing helps me learn a bit about folks outside of tri's, which is essential for training/life balance and I am better able to give advice with that in mind. No sense telling someone to train for 15 hours a week when they are unable to maintain that volume due to life. A few housekeeping pieces, some of which we have recently seen.

• Please open your logs to the group members.
  • Please stop in occasionally, if only to post that life has you overwhelmed and you are barely getting by. We truly understand and some of us have been there before. I can think of at least three folks in here that are undergoing some pretty major life adjustments. We are here to support you, no matter what the challenge.
  • Participate wherever you can, even if just to re-iterate someone else's point. It can be helpful to know that something that is asked about has worked for multiple people.
  • No questions are out of bounds. While Janyne and I try to admin the group, remember, this is your group and we are all here for each other.

I'm  sure I've missed stuff, what with people wandering into my office and asking me to work (the nerve!) so feel free to add on.

2017-01-18 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rileyvb91
Originally posted by TXTriRook NYC Marathon application page is open! I've never run it but after finishing my first marathon this past December, I decided to throw my hat in the application pool. Have any of you ever done it?
I live an hour away on LI and never thought of running it, guess I don't like the crowds and can't run fast enough to avoid them lol!

I've applied to the lottery a few times but haven't gotten in. 

My running buddy ran in back in 2007 when it was still sponsored by ING and she worked for ING - she said it was an amazing experience and loved it! 

I also had a co-worker who isn't really a runner do it this past year. He didn't say it was so amazing - but he wasn't all that well trained so i think it hurt him more than anything. 

2017-01-18 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jet Black
I've never done a half mary as part of a 70.3 build either. Heck I haven't even done a stand alone half mary yet. But I am doing a half mary Feb 4th and have a 70.3 April 2nd this year. I'm not doing the HM specifically for the 70.3 though. I'm just on a big run focus right now and am trying to do lots of stand alone running races. edit: I should also add that I'm running 50+ mpw right now with a 15 mile long run, so running a 13.1 race shouldn't stress me as much as someone running considerably less.

I also haven't done it as part of HIM training - but do often do that them in the 'running' season (or not during the tri season). I would say around you most HMs are likely in May which depending on your running background shouldn't impede your training for the HIM - but remember if you aren't terribly experienced at running that you do need to bike - it is all about the bike so don't trade off big run miles for bike miles. The recovery from upping the mileage for a half marathon needs to be heeded. Just keep in mind which is your priority. 

But that said, i love doing events and sometimes having races on the schedule like a half marathon will help keep me motivated and training

2017-01-18 9:40 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Smithtown, New York
Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by Rileyvb91

I've applied to the lottery a few times but haven't gotten in. 

My running buddy ran in back in 2007 when it was still sponsored by ING and she worked for ING - she said it was an amazing experience and loved it! 

I also had a co-worker who isn't really a runner do it this past year. He didn't say it was so amazing - but he wasn't all that well trained so i think it hurt him more than anything. 

My dad ran NYC a bunch of times, I watched him once as a kid and the race was so freaking big and that was 12 years ago! I only ran one marathon in Ironman Lake Placid and once I finish Ironman Hawaii one year I may do a stand alone mary
2017-01-18 10:19 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Long runs are up to about 1 hour 40 minutes. I can never dream to have a half marathon time like that but my plan was to just take it easy so it wouldn't impair the rest of the weekend workouts.
2017-01-18 10:22 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

What's the intention of the half marathon? I didn't see it in this overview of the plan. The tune-ups are a sprint and an olympic. I did run about that far in training, but didn't do a half marathon race.

Just social. Most of my friends are runners. My plan was to just run easy and then do a flush out spin on the bike afterwards. I wasn't planning on tapering or anything leading up to the half marathon, just considering it a long run. I'd be adding on an extra 30 minutes from what is already in the plan for that day.

2017-01-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey everyone, we are now closed to new members unless they are willing to "convince" (bribe?) us that they belong in here. So this is our group for 2017. I am looking forward to another great year. As you probably noticed, we are a bit chatty at times and not solely about triathlon training. I have found that this sort of thing helps me learn a bit about folks outside of tri's, which is essential for training/life balance and I am better able to give advice with that in mind. No sense telling someone to train for 15 hours a week when they are unable to maintain that volume due to life. A few housekeeping pieces, some of which we have recently seen.

• Please open your logs to the group members.
  • Please stop in occasionally, if only to post that life has you overwhelmed and you are barely getting by. We truly understand and some of us have been there before. I can think of at least three folks in here that are undergoing some pretty major life adjustments. We are here to support you, no matter what the challenge.
  • Participate wherever you can, even if just to re-iterate someone else's point. It can be helpful to know that something that is asked about has worked for multiple people.
  • No questions are out of bounds. While Janyne and I try to admin the group, remember, this is your group and we are all here for each other.

I'm  sure I've missed stuff, what with people wandering into my office and asking me to work (the nerve!) so feel free to add on.

Not just open your logs but actually, you know log stuff! (and if you are not currently training for some reason, putting posting pet photos, etc. will at least let us know that you are still around!)

2017-01-18 10:26 AM

User image

20 Weeks to Victoria 70.3!

I think I am going to do the level 5 Matt Fitzgerald plan with a few tweaks since I can't get to the pool 3 days a week. If you do a half marathon during training, what week do you usually do it?

Barbara

I've never done a half mary as part of a 70.3 build either. Heck I haven't even done a stand alone half mary yet.

But I am doing a half mary Feb 4th and have a 70.3 April 2nd this year. I'm not doing the HM specifically for the 70.3 though. I'm just on a big run focus right now and am trying to do lots of stand alone running races.

edit: I should also add that I'm running 50+ mpw right now with a 15 mile long run, so running a 13.1 race shouldn't stress me as much as someone running considerably less.

That is about the same timing as mine. I am actually focusing on the bike more this time around but as long as I take it easy I think it should be okay. I did it two years ago and going to a spin class right after the half marathon really helped with muscle soreness especially since I had to travel. My running friends thought we were nuts though!
2017-01-18 10:48 AM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Just social. Most of my friends are runners. My plan was to just run easy and then do a flush out spin on the bike afterwards. I wasn't planning on tapering or anything leading up to the half marathon, just considering it a long run. I'd be adding on an extra 30 minutes from what is already in the plan for that day.

Ok, it seemed like you had the idea in another post, building up enough running first so that it's not really that much longer than the training run would be. Likely in the later months of your training unless you are already regularly running a bunch. From there it's figuring out how to have the extra running interrupt  the rest of your training the least, so how it fits in becomes more important here. Since it's longer than planned, a little lighter the day or two before may help. And then also at least a few days after, seeing how you recover. Do mind the pace as it's easy to get caught up in the moment and run a fair amount faster. That's not necessarily something terrible, just expect recovery to take longer.

2017-01-18 10:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

I've never done a half mary as part of a 70.3 build either. Heck I haven't even done a stand alone half mary yet. But I am doing a half mary Feb 4th and have a 70.3 April 2nd this year. I'm not doing the HM specifically for the 70.3 though. I'm just on a big run focus right now and am trying to do lots of stand alone running races. edit: I should also add that I'm running 50+ mpw right now with a 15 mile long run, so running a 13.1 race shouldn't stress me as much as someone running considerably less.

I've only done one stand alone HM myself as well. Did sign up for a couple others for fun, but ended up dropping them. During the night before a local one I had significant quad cramping, something I never had before, so thought taking it easy a couple days would be better. Also signed up for a little travel one in the winter season, but changed my mind as I had a funny feeling with the weather. Turns out they had 8-12" of snow drop on them that wasn't cleared in time for the race.

2017-01-18 11:49 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Anyone else having problems uploading direct from Training Peaks to BT? Haven't been able to do it for a while now. I fill in my username/password, click list activities but keep getting an "Oops!" error message. I use the Training Peaks upload option to upload ny Trainer Road workouts.

2017-01-18 12:29 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Anyone else having problems uploading direct from Training Peaks to BT? Haven't been able to do it for a while now. I fill in my username/password, click list activities but keep getting an "Oops!" error message. I use the Training Peaks upload option to upload ny Trainer Road workouts.

Hmm, i didn't know you could do that. I gave up on getting my trainer road workouts onto BT a long time ago.
2017-01-18 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hmm, i didn't know you could do that. I gave up on getting my trainer road workouts onto BT a long time ago.

I download them from TR and then upload them here.  Works fine, though it doesn't copy some of the power data  like TSS and IF.

2017-01-18 2:26 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pennsylvania

<rant>Did a few hours somehow get added to this day?!  It seems to be going on and on and on and on...</rant>

2017-01-18 4:20 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I download them from TR and then upload them here.  Works fine, though it doesn't copy some of the power data  like TSS and IF.

lol, if it doesn't do it automatically it's not happening. ain't nobody got time fo dat!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102