BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-20 12:56 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Racing Manatee!!!

January 21-22
McMatt - 3M Half Marathon on Sunday

Disabled List
Mike - under the weather

Mike's surgery is on Wednesday the 25th. (<<< look at Mike, hogging all of the attention!)

2017-01-20 1:03 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatee!!!

January 21-22

Disabled List
Mike - under the weather

Mike's surgery is on Wednesday the 25th. (<<< look at Mike, hogging all of the attention!)

Go Matt Go!!

Hope you get the fix you need Mike and that all goes well with the surgery.
2017-01-20 1:17 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by TXTriRook Nice mom appreciation post. I ran my first 10K ever when I was about 7 yrs old with my mom. It was the Terry Fox run in Toronto. We trained together before school for a couple months and it's to this day and will always be my best running memory. Is it Mothers Day!? lol Changing topics, I'm moving into a new house next month and my new garage has a slight slant to it. Do any of you ride your trainer in a slanted garage and if so, does it make a difference? I have another option to put it in a small room in the house but my, and more so my wife's preference is for it to be in the garage. Thanks!
Shouldn't matter. In fact if you point your bike uphill it will be more comfortable to you and actually closer simulate riding out on the road. When you're on the road you have a pretty big force pushing you backwards onto your seat and taking pressure off of your arms that you don't have while riding stationary. Front wheel a bit higher than rear wheel will do the same thing.

I always have my front tire on an old telephone book b/c that little raise seems more comfortable.

A what? 

It must be an antique

I know! It should be in a museum, but it is a bit of a wreck after being abused the way it has! 

ETA: my area still delivers phone books yearly or at least they did until very recently, I can't remember if I got and then promptly threw one out the last 2 years.

We still get phone books here in Perth but we recycle them. This is a mystery book--that is, it's a mystery whose it is. Just showed up in our house, and I like it better than the riser that came with the trainer.

This is Stace Face's first bike Daisy who now lives with me. I love her. I also love Stace Face

Any racing Manatees? if so, GO RACING MANATEES!

Happy T.I.T.S. (Time In the Swim, Time In The Saddle, or Time In The Street) to everyone else 

I'm one of the Manatees going through a major life change/upset. So I'm checking in as well as I can and my racing schedule has been nearly completely suspended, pending what I'm able to do which at the moment is not much. I coach and swim a bit.

Today's the first day this year I've had any appetite (which, if you know me, seems to be the defining aspect of my life!) and been sleepy, like OK to go to sleep, instead of completely stressed and exhausted actually making it hard to sleep, and had a real laugh. Grateful for every bit of goodness in my life, which is actually tons. Most of it. I just *feel* terrible.

Things will probably go up and down for me for a while ... probably a long while ... some of you know the details, they're not a secret, simply that a loved one died by suicide and going through the grief is a bit like the most physically and mentally taxing, unpredictable, non-time-defined training program ever. Honestly, it really just doesn't compare. I'd rather try to do an Ironman every day than this, and seeing his other loved ones through this.

All of us have or will encounter at least one and probably several times in life which turn us inside out.

My health and "training" plan is how to practice good self-care (on the job and trial-and-error) as I go through this and walk others through it, and learn from others here who have gone through hell, basically, and to set/support by example that life and health can happen--should happen--must happen--no matter how dark the circumstances.

This is a whole-health group. I'm trying to be a whole-health person. One breath at a time.

(0060 Daisy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0060 Daisy.jpg (167KB - 4 downloads)
2017-01-20 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatee!!!

January 21-22

Disabled List
Mike - under the weather

GO MATT!!

Feel better Mike, both before surgery and after!

2017-01-20 1:49 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by TXTriRook Nice mom appreciation post. I ran my first 10K ever when I was about 7 yrs old with my mom. It was the Terry Fox run in Toronto. We trained together before school for a couple months and it's to this day and will always be my best running memory. Is it Mothers Day!? lol Changing topics, I'm moving into a new house next month and my new garage has a slight slant to it. Do any of you ride your trainer in a slanted garage and if so, does it make a difference? I have another option to put it in a small room in the house but my, and more so my wife's preference is for it to be in the garage. Thanks!
Shouldn't matter. In fact if you point your bike uphill it will be more comfortable to you and actually closer simulate riding out on the road. When you're on the road you have a pretty big force pushing you backwards onto your seat and taking pressure off of your arms that you don't have while riding stationary. Front wheel a bit higher than rear wheel will do the same thing.

I always have my front tire on an old telephone book b/c that little raise seems more comfortable.

A what? 

It must be an antique

I know! It should be in a museum, but it is a bit of a wreck after being abused the way it has! 

ETA: my area still delivers phone books yearly or at least they did until very recently, I can't remember if I got and then promptly threw one out the last 2 years.

We still get phone books here in Perth but we recycle them. This is a mystery book--that is, it's a mystery whose it is. Just showed up in our house, and I like it better than the riser that came with the trainer.

This is Stace Face's first bike Daisy who now lives with me. I love her. I also love Stace Face

Happy T.I.T.S. (Time In the Swim, Time In The Saddle, or Time In The Street) to everyone else 

I'm one of the Manatees going through a major life change/upset. So I'm checking in as well as I can and my racing schedule has been nearly completely suspended, pending what I'm able to do which at the moment is not much. I coach and swim a bit.

Today's the first day this year I've had any appetite (which, if you know me, seems to be the defining aspect of my life!) and been sleepy, like OK to go to sleep, instead of completely stressed and exhausted actually making it hard to sleep, and had a real laugh. Grateful for every bit of goodness in my life, which is actually tons. Most of it. I just *feel* terrible.

Things will probably go up and down for me for a while ... probably a long while ... some of you know the details, they're not a secret, simply that a loved one died by suicide and going through the grief is a bit like the most physically and mentally taxing, unpredictable, non-time-defined training program ever. Honestly, it really just doesn't compare. I'd rather try to do an Ironman every day than this, and seeing his other loved ones through this.

All of us have or will encounter at least one and probably several times in life which turn us inside out.

My health and "training" plan is how to practice good self-care (on the job and trial-and-error) as I go through this and walk others through it, and learn from others here who have gone through hell, basically, and to set/support by example that life and health can happen--should happen--must happen--no matter how dark the circumstances.

This is a whole-health group. I'm trying to be a whole-health person. One breath at a time.

That's how our phone books shoe (ed) up too - mysteriously.  And, yes, they then go in the recycling bin or under my tire!

Sorry you are still dealing with all you are dealing with, but happy to see that today is a better day.  Keep healing!

And, nice bike!!

2017-01-20 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Racing Manatee!!!

January 21-22

Disabled List
Mike - under the weather

GO MATT!!

Feel better Mike, both before surgery and after!

x2! Have fun racing, Matt

And Mike, best of luck with the surgery - I hope the recovery goes well  

2017-01-20 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hang in there, Yanti!

I've never gone through the suicide of someone really close to me, but we have had two in our school community in the past two years, (the last one the day after Oscar's) plus a four year old sibling of a former student dying of a sudden illness last year. Those continue to send ripples of shock and grief for months and years through everyone who knew the child and family.....It is one of the hardest things I do as a teacher, helping kids work through those issues. I recently added some lessons to our health class on why people feel stressed and what we can do about it for ourselves and each other, and what should you do if you or someone you know is thinking of suicide. It breaks my heart that I feel like I need to teach this content to fifth graders.

I can only imagine how hard it would be if it is a close friend and you are dealing directly with the family on a daily basis. Please, let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Are you on Bintan now or.....??? I'll be in Singapore (I hope) for a race on Feb. 12 (there from the 10th PM to 12th PM) if you want to meet up.
2017-01-21 7:13 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
And on a lighter note...another Saturday night, another Tet street party. This one is in front of the building kitty corner across the street. Some Tet music earlier, but so far at least they have not fired up the karaoke or put on Chinese opera murder music. Sounds like some serious drinking going on, though. ("Mot, hai, ba, YO! " are the key words for drinking in Vietnamese.)

Hoping the bedroom (in the back of my apartment, faces a courtyard) will be okay, but the living room noise level is getting too annoying; heading off to bed.
2017-01-21 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

A what? 

It must be an antique

Hey she has a new seat

I'm really glad you had a slightly better day today Yanti, I hope they start to happen a little more often.
2017-01-22 6:30 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In the interests of injecting a little cheer, I offer two chickens (this is the Year of the Chicken here). They are currently roosting on my riverside running area.

(DSCN0308.jpg)

(DSCN0295.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DSCN0308.jpg (3866KB - 3 downloads)
DSCN0295.JPG (3628KB - 4 downloads)
2017-01-22 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

In the interests of injecting a little cheer, I offer two chickens (this is the Year of the Chicken here). They are currently roosting on my riverside running area.

Wow they are great sculptures Karen.

2017-01-23 7:04 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner In the interests of injecting a little cheer, I offer two chickens (this is the Year of the Chicken here). They are currently roosting on my riverside running area.

Love those!

2017-01-23 7:07 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hi

We just got back from a week in Cuba. Just because we had been planning a trip for 2018 but Jim was worried the borders would close, so we went. It was a-ma-zing. There was no access to the internet and getting phone service was a bust. It was a great week to be un-connected totally.

2017-01-23 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner In the interests of injecting a little cheer, I offer two chickens (this is the Year of the Chicken here). They are currently roosting on my riverside running area.

Impressive!

2017-01-23 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Hi

We just got back from a week in Cuba. Just because we had been planning a trip for 2018 but Jim was worried the borders would close, so we went. It was a-ma-zing. There was no access to the internet and getting phone service was a bust. It was a great week to be un-connected totally.

It sounds like quite an adventure!

2017-01-23 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by ceilidh

Hi

Sounds really cool.  Definitely a bucket list of ours here.

2017-01-23 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Racing Manatee!!!

January 21-22

Disabled List
Mike - under the weather

Unbridled narcissism. 

2017-01-23 3:00 PM

User image

Smithtown, New York
Just finished my first 3 weeks of building and time now for a nice easy week

So far this month running has getting way easier and I find that I can start pushing through my fatigue. Lifting some weights has also been giving me the strength to handle these sessions!
2017-01-23 3:38 PM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Thanks for the well wishes all! Was fun to race again after almost 2 years off. Was my second fastest half (although you need to really look at the course elevation before saying congrats on that one!). Felt good just to work hard again.

Mike, hoping the surgery goes well (attention hog or no!).

Yanti - thoughts are with you, as ever. It gets better, but not without time and loved ones in your corner (luckily, you have a fuller corner than just about anyone).

Off to CA for the third time this month now. Oy...

Matt
2017-01-23 3:56 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Cypress, Texas
Sorry I've been MIA. Looks like I have quite a bit to catch up. Had more Doctors appointments than I can wish for over the last 3 weeks. After getting a Nerve conduction study last week that showed more nerve damage than my last study 3 1/2 years ago it turns out that I either have Guillain-Barre again, have a major flare up or have the chronic version. Symptoms seem to have stabilized, though we have a course of IV steroids ready to roll if needed so hopefully it's not the chronic version. (First two options are self limiting to the damage, while with the chronic version the nerve damage progresses). In any case it will probably take me a while to whip myself back into shape. Right now it's 10-15 minutes walking a day that is all I can do with the back and nerve pain and to not fatigue out. Will keep you guys posted on how it goes.
2017-01-23 7:17 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by johnthecat

Sorry I've been MIA. Looks like I have quite a bit to catch up. Had more Doctors appointments than I can wish for over the last 3 weeks. After getting a Nerve conduction study last week that showed more nerve damage than my last study 3 1/2 years ago it turns out that I either have Guillain-Barre again, have a major flare up or have the chronic version. Symptoms seem to have stabilized, though we have a course of IV steroids ready to roll if needed so hopefully it's not the chronic version. (First two options are self limiting to the damage, while with the chronic version the nerve damage progresses). In any case it will probably take me a while to whip myself back into shape. Right now it's 10-15 minutes walking a day that is all I can do with the back and nerve pain and to not fatigue out. Will keep you guys posted on how it goes.
John I am sorry to hear this. I hope that you dont have the chronic version and that you are able to manage your pain.

2017-01-23 9:41 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Smithtown, New York
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Thanks for the well wishes all! Was fun to race again after almost 2 years off. Was my second fastest half (although you need to really look at the course elevation before saying congrats on that one!). Felt good just to work hard again.

Mike, hoping the surgery goes well (attention hog or no!).

Yanti - thoughts are with you, as ever. It gets better, but not without time and loved ones in your corner (luckily, you have a fuller corner than just about anyone).

Off to CA for the third time this month now. Oy...

Matt

Congrats on the half and a great time as well! the important part is your back in the game!
2017-01-24 2:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Rileyvb91Just finished my first 3 weeks of building and time now for a nice easy week So far this month running has getting way easier and I find that I can start pushing through my fatigue. Lifting some weights has also been giving me the strength to handle these sessions!
Are you on Strava? I notice you're not logging your runs on BT. Where are you logging your runs to? Any reason you're not using BT?

Edited by Richardsdrr 2017-01-24 2:29 AM
2017-01-24 6:17 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by johnthecat Sorry I've been MIA. Looks like I have quite a bit to catch up. Had more Doctors appointments than I can wish for over the last 3 weeks. After getting a Nerve conduction study last week that showed more nerve damage than my last study 3 1/2 years ago it turns out that I either have Guillain-Barre again, have a major flare up or have the chronic version. Symptoms seem to have stabilized, though we have a course of IV steroids ready to roll if needed so hopefully it's not the chronic version. (First two options are self limiting to the damage, while with the chronic version the nerve damage progresses). In any case it will probably take me a while to whip myself back into shape. Right now it's 10-15 minutes walking a day that is all I can do with the back and nerve pain and to not fatigue out. Will keep you guys posted on how it goes.
Sending you some good ju-ju that it is not the chronic kind. Take care.

2017-01-24 6:23 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by johnthecat Sorry I've been MIA. Looks like I have quite a bit to catch up. Had more Doctors appointments than I can wish for over the last 3 weeks. After getting a Nerve conduction study last week that showed more nerve damage than my last study 3 1/2 years ago it turns out that I either have Guillain-Barre again, have a major flare up or have the chronic version. Symptoms seem to have stabilized, though we have a course of IV steroids ready to roll if needed so hopefully it's not the chronic version. (First two options are self limiting to the damage, while with the chronic version the nerve damage progresses). In any case it will probably take me a while to whip myself back into shape. Right now it's 10-15 minutes walking a day that is all I can do with the back and nerve pain and to not fatigue out. Will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Yowza, that is a whole lot for any one person to be working through. I hope and pray that you are not dealing with the chronic type.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102