BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-02-10 12:27 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by lisac957

Happy Friday everyone! 

Nervous about my biggest running weekend ever! 24 miles tomorrow, 10 miles Sunday. Then I can taper for my race in two weeks. Weather is looking good, if not downright warm at 73 degrees tomorrow. Not complaining, just odd for February. 

Hope everyone is doing well!

Woo hoo!  Have a great running weekend :-D

2017-02-10 12:27 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by amd723

Happy Friday everyone! 

Nervous about my biggest running weekend ever! 24 miles tomorrow, 10 miles Sunday. Then I can taper for my race in two weeks. Weather is looking good, if not downright warm at 73 degrees tomorrow. Not complaining, just odd for February. 

That's some serious running! Good luck and enjoy it! Be careful with the 73*, if you're not acclimated that can take a lot out of you, so make sure you are wll hydrated.

+1 on the hydration, and make sure you have the right clothing.  I think it would be very easy to over dress as a force of habit.

It was in the 70s here the other day, and I walked around the block (you know, almost the same as 24 miles ) and was sweating a little.

Oh, and 34 miles in a weekend is FIERCE!

2017-02-10 12:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tomsimper I need to buy a wetsuit but haven't really a clue on what I am looking for. There seems to be a lot a price difference in them and obviously the more expensive the better it should be but I would be grateful if somebody could give me a few pointers in what I should be looking for?

I'm not sure what brands they have in the UK.  A lot of people here start wtih Xterra brand suits because they are fairly reasonably priced.  I was really really unsure about sizing so I ended up going to the tri shop and trying on a bunch.  If that is a possibility, I'd recommend doing that.

One of the things to understand is that the less expensive suits have a less -- I don't know that to call it -- less aggressive? --  cut to them.  Meaning that the seams might not be placed precisely for speed gains.  The materials might be less "slippery" in the water.  The thickness variations that affect buoyancy and speed in the water might not be there, etc.  That is not to say that a less expensive suit is not worth it, just that in some ways you get what you pay for, you know?

Another thing to consider is whether you want a full suit or a sleeveless suit.

I'll let people who have more expertise at swimming give take it from here (Ben? are you listening?)

Edited by jmkizer 2017-02-10 12:35 PM
2017-02-10 12:40 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Possibly Racing Manatee!!!

February 11-12
Karen - Singapore Sprint Aquathlon on Sunday (maybe)

Disabled List
Mike - recovery from back surgery
Anne - under the weather
Robin K - back issues
Robin P - under the weather
Karen - under the weather (or maybe racing?)

2017-02-10 12:57 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Happy Friday everyone! 

That's some serious running! Good luck and enjoy it! Be careful with the 73*, if you're not acclimated that can take a lot out of you, so make sure you are wll hydrated.

+1 on the hydration, and make sure you have the right clothing.  I think it would be very easy to over dress as a force of habit.

It was in the 70s here the other day, and I walked around the block (you know, almost the same as 24 miles ) and was sweating a little.

Good luck Lisa! That's some serious mileage.
2017-02-10 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by tomsimper I need to buy a wetsuit but haven't really a clue on what I am looking for. There seems to be a lot a price difference in them and obviously the more expensive the better it should be but I would be grateful if somebody could give me a few pointers in what I should be looking for?

I'm not sure what brands they have in the UK.  A lot of people here start wtih Xterra brand suits because they are fairly reasonably priced.  I was really really unsure about sizing so I ended up going to the tri shop and trying on a bunch.  If that is a possibility, I'd recommend doing that.

One of the things to understand is that the less expensive suits have a less -- I don't know that to call it -- less aggressive? --  cut to them.  Meaning that the seams might not be placed precisely for speed gains.  The materials might be less "slippery" in the water.  The thickness variations that affect buoyancy and speed in the water might not be there, etc.  That is not to say that a less expensive suit is not worth it, just that in some ways you get what you pay for, you know?

I'll let people who have more expertise at swimming give take it from here (Ben? are you listening?)

since I live in Florida I do not wear a wet suit that often, so I am really far from an expert. However, I do have a 2 piece suit from DeSoto and can tell you that even though I never tried it on before buying, the company has a pretty extensive fitting process. They really work hard to make sure you get the right fit. It's been a few years, but if memory serves you can return it as long as you haven't worn it in the water. 

Thats all I've got!!

2017-02-10 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

February 11-12

Disabled List
Anne - under the weather
Robin K - back issues

Go Karen. Maybe

That is a long list of sick and injured manatees! Get better all!!

2017-02-10 1:09 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

February 11-12

Disabled List
Anne - under the weather
Robin K - back issues

Go Karen. Maybe

That is a long list of sick and injured manatees! Get better all!!

I'm looking forward to the day that we have more racers than DLers!

2017-02-10 1:22 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Just pulled the trigger on the White Lake Spring Olympic and the Ironman Raleigh 70.3 in June. Time to get back to serious training.

Now to look into a proper Tri bike. I'd ask this group if I should pick one up, but I'm pretty sure I'm surrounded by a bunch of enablers.
2017-02-10 1:42 PM

Master
Northern IL

To simplify things, the wetsuit is most entirely about fitting well since all of them will float some and be rather slick. There might be some slight differences in there, but fitting well outweighs that significantly. Most everywhere should fit at least snug to tight, depending on what that means to you. It's funny to see, but it's not really a joke that a good fitting one will take at least a few minutes to put on while accompanied by some hopping around, pulling, and wiggling along the way.

The shoulders are the one area it shouldn't be restrictive as your arms need to move. Don't just wave your arms around, but try some actual swim motions to make sure that goes ok. A bad fit here can add a lot of resistance and bring on fatigue much sooner and/or mess with your stroke. You don't really care so much how it feels just standing around, but very much so during swim motions.

The apparent fit can be affected by how well a suit is put on too. Pull the hips up tight so it might kind of feel like it's riding you a bit. Pull the arms on plenty far to give the shoulders room. The leg bottoms and the sleeves end up where they end up. This is not a dress shirt or pants so don't worry if these end up short, even substantially short.

As price goes up the quality of the rubber does too. Mostly that means it'll be more flexible, so more easily conforming and able to move in. Across brands it can be more the specific nature of the cut, like with pretty much any other clothing. Slightly more or less shoulder, a little more or less torso length, etc. Xterra can be alright, I've used a few of them. I've seen the idea put up to compare their sale prices though, not the list price, as they're on sale so often.

Sleeve vs sleeveless can be interesting. Sleeveless tends to be easier to fit without the complications of the shoulders. Still make sure the openings stay tight on the torso so they don't scoop water so much. A good fitting sleeved suit should be a little faster though. There is also heat potential. I'd overheat on longer borderline wetsuit legal swims with full sleeves. They are nice to have for colder water though.

2017-02-10 2:41 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Originally posted by awm007

Just pulled the trigger on the White Lake Spring Olympic and the Ironman Raleigh 70.3 in June. Time to get back to serious training.

Now to look into a proper Tri bike. I'd ask this group if I should pick one up, but I'm pretty sure I'm surrounded by a bunch of enablers.

Of course you need a tri bike!! And race wheels, a power meter and electronic shifting (what am I missing??). What's an enabler

2017-02-10 2:57 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by awm007 Just pulled the trigger on the White Lake Spring Olympic and the Ironman Raleigh 70.3 in June. Time to get back to serious training. Now to look into a proper Tri bike. I'd ask this group if I should pick one up, but I'm pretty sure I'm surrounded by a bunch of enablers.
Of course you need a tri bike!! And race wheels, a power meter and electronic shifting (what am I missing??). What's an enabler

Helmet, aerosuit, lots of tunnel time ...

2017-02-10 3:09 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by brigby1

To simplify things, the wetsuit is most entirely about fitting well since all of them will float some and be rather slick. There might be some slight differences in there, but fitting well outweighs that significantly. Most everywhere should fit at least snug to tight, depending on what that means to you. It's funny to see, but it's not really a joke that a good fitting one will take at least a few minutes to put on while accompanied by some hopping around, pulling, and wiggling along the way.

The shoulders are the one area it shouldn't be restrictive as your arms need to move. Don't just wave your arms around, but try some actual swim motions to make sure that goes ok. A bad fit here can add a lot of resistance and bring on fatigue much sooner and/or mess with your stroke. You don't really care so much how it feels just standing around, but very much so during swim motions.

The apparent fit can be affected by how well a suit is put on too. Pull the hips up tight so it might kind of feel like it's riding you a bit. Pull the arms on plenty far to give the shoulders room. The leg bottoms and the sleeves end up where they end up. This is not a dress shirt or pants so don't worry if these end up short, even substantially short.

As price goes up the quality of the rubber does too. Mostly that means it'll be more flexible, so more easily conforming and able to move in. Across brands it can be more the specific nature of the cut, like with pretty much any other clothing. Slightly more or less shoulder, a little more or less torso length, etc. Xterra can be alright, I've used a few of them. I've seen the idea put up to compare their sale prices though, not the list price, as they're on sale so often.

Sleeve vs sleeveless can be interesting. Sleeveless tends to be easier to fit without the complications of the shoulders. Still make sure the openings stay tight on the torso so they don't scoop water so much. A good fitting sleeved suit should be a little faster though. There is also heat potential. I'd overheat on longer borderline wetsuit legal swims with full sleeves. They are nice to have for colder water though.

I don't have much technical to add other than it is super helpful to try some on first. The sizing and type of fit can vary. Our multisport store had a great sale on Orca brand but I could NOT wiggle myself into that thing! It was horrible. So, the Orca fits really small (and I am not that big, 5'3" 120lbs, usually - not at the moment). I have Nineteen brand suit, while it isn't the easiest to get on i don't feel like i am dying in it and can get it on but the fit was in line with the size guidelines and it works well for me. 

2017-02-10 3:12 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Happy Friday everyone! 

I know it - last weekend it was between 60-65 degrees when I finished a 22-mile run. I had started with short sleeves + arm warmers and took off the arm warmers less than halfway through. And I carried 60 oz water in my pack but it was barely enough. I need to figure out a water re-fill plan - I might plan to detour to my parents' house for water, I just can't get sucked in to a long conversation and get stuck there 

2017-02-10 3:24 PM

User image

Master

Happy Friday everyone! 

I know it - last weekend it was between 60-65 degrees when I finished a 22-mile run. I had started with short sleeves + arm warmers and took off the arm warmers less than halfway through. And I carried 60 oz water in my pack but it was barely enough. I need to figure out a water re-fill plan - I might plan to detour to my parents' house for water, I just can't get sucked in to a long conversation and get stuck there 

Hide some water there ahead of time and just grab it on the way past.  They never have to know you were there 

2017-02-10 3:29 PM

User image

Master

Happy Friday everyone! 

That's a lotta miles!  Good on you.

Whoever says climate change is a hoax has not been in Kansas or Vancouver I think (and I am sure a few other places).  We have had a ridiculous amount of snow here.  I am inland a bit, and we had about 45cm (18 inches) since last week.  East of here in Chiliiwack had 70cm (28 inches) in  2 days last weekend.  My work was shut down due to weather yesterday and the elementary and high schools had 2-3 days off this week.  We are now back to our regularly scheduled 8C (46F) and pouring rain now...so flooding and pooling water galore.  GOOD TIMES!

Hope all the DLers are feeling better soon!

2017-02-10 3:46 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by IronOx

Happy Friday everyone! 

Whoever says climate change is a hoax has not been in Kansas or Vancouver I think (and I am sure a few other places).  We have had a ridiculous amount of snow here.  I am inland a bit, and we had about 45cm (18 inches) since last week.  East of here in Chiliiwack had 70cm (28 inches) in  2 days last weekend.  My work was shut down due to weather yesterday and the elementary and high schools had 2-3 days off this week.  We are now back to our regularly scheduled 8C (46F) and pouring rain now...so flooding and pooling water galore.  GOOD TIMES!

Yikes that's a lot of snow! Our weather is just a roller coaster right now. 75 degrees tomorrow, but snow flurries Monday morning. Go home Mother Nature, you're drunk 

2017-02-10 4:21 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by juniperjen

I don't have much technical to add other than it is super helpful to try some on first. The sizing and type of fit can vary. Our multisport store had a great sale on Orca brand but I could NOT wiggle myself into that thing! It was horrible. So, the Orca fits really small (and I am not that big, 5'3" 120lbs, usually - not at the moment). I have Nineteen brand suit, while it isn't the easiest to get on i don't feel like i am dying in it and can get it on but the fit was in line with the size guidelines and it works well for me. 

I can't remember what part of the country you're in but Tri UK in Yeovil have an endless pool where you can try on wetsuits. I recommend getting fitted for one properly because wetsuits feel so wrong when dry. Very restrictive until you get in the water. Tri UK also offer wetsuit rental where you pay £××.×× per season and if you want to keep the suit after you pay the rest of the cost. If not, just return it. One word of advice, it's good to take a plastic carrier bag with you to help getting the suit on.
2017-02-10 7:13 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IronOx

Happy Friday everyone! 

Yikes that's a lot of snow! Our weather is just a roller coaster right now. 75 degrees tomorrow, but snow flurries Monday morning. Go home Mother Nature, you're drunk 

Up and down a lot here too. Seeing about 10 and 50 a few times each now. The number of days it's hit 40 has been much more than normal. Then the next couple weeks have more still. Guess that coincides well with wanting to run as the winter a few years ago was unusually warm and came out in the best run shape I've ever been in.

2017-02-10 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Still not sure if I belong on the race list or the DL! Felt a lot better yesterday and did make it to Singapore, but the plane messed up my sinuses (thought my head was going to explode when we landed--forgot you should ALWAYS take a decongestant before take-off if you are even the tiniest bit stuffed up, because of the havoc that landing does with your ears). Don't real feel "sick" anymore but still kind of congested. I have asthma, so that can make me wake up coughing and wheezing. Do much better when upright and outdoors away from AC and stale air. I think I am on an upward trend, but it's probably going to be a last-minute decision. Anyone wanting to read my sorry history of illness and racing can verify from my race log that this has happened, oh, six or seven times in the past! In particular, another event called the Singapore Aquathlon (Oly distance) and I have a very, very bad track record. I think I have shown up sick, or just over being sick, almost every single time for that race!

I will race if I think I can do so without having an asthma attack or profoundly embarrassing myself (i.e. running a 30-minute 5K, or dropping out of a race that shouldn't take much longer than 35 minutes, in the Elite Wave). About to go do an easy jog and see if the body is functioning.

I guess a bit less conservative than most--I'm only signed up for four races (maybe five--one is my hometown Oly, but they don't have signups yet and, in brilliant reflection of the F...up most of my life is most of the time, I don't actually know if that will still be my hometown by the end of July) this year. All but one (maybe, assuming Eugene is still my hometown!) involve either an international flight or domestic travel with long drives, hotel stays, etc. So pulling out of one is a big, big deal. (And oh yeah, at this point I am signed up for two HIM a week apart on opposite sides of the world. Will have to make a decision at some point, I guess. Travel Hell vs. putting trust in US/China relations??

At least I am now in Singapore, and the hotel turns out to be right next to a big department store that has one of the best sports sections in town. I'm in the market for more Nuun tablets, running shoes, and a pair of swim fins. Any recs for the latter? I'd always used the ones at our school pool, but they threw out all the old ones without warning me, and I'm sadly between sizes in the new ones--can't train in either. One size kills my feet, next size up is falling off. I just use them for some warmups, fly, kick drills, keeping my ankles flexible. (One thing I'm proud of about my swim--I did a video analysis at camp and the guy said that although my stroke was not perfect, I did, "Look like a swimmer. Nice kick, good body position, high in the water, flexible ankles." Apparently what I need to work on is body rotation, high elbow, and not over-rotating my head to breathe.)

Random comment about climate change--I suppose it can't exist if our president says it doesn't (sarc font intended) but......In Saigon this year, rainy season just won't end. It should have ended by early December. As of last week, we were still having heavy rainstorms 3-4 days a week. The rest of the time it is slowly becoming more like normal dry-season weather, but those storms are really odd. And for weeks before (January), gloomy, drizzly weather. People who have lived there all their lives are commenting they have not seen anything like it.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-02-10 7:30 PM
2017-02-10 8:13 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by Rileyvb91 Since google for the life of me can't answer this I'm really wondering why disc wheels are only used for time trials, why don't we see them in road bike races such as a flat stage in the tour de france?
I had disks when I first bought my last bike. It was great as long as there is little to no wind. If you get any wind they become sails and can make riding tough. I gave them up, because most of my rides are along Lake Huron and even on a calm day it is windy. I'm just guessing based on my experience, but those races are a lot longer than a time trial and a wind or a weather change would create havoc for the peloton.

What do you mean by disks (plural)? Front too or multiple rears?

By that I mean I am not a competent typist. My bike only had a rear disk.

Edited by JBacarella 2017-02-10 8:31 PM

2017-02-10 9:36 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by awm007 Just pulled the trigger on the White Lake Spring Olympic and the Ironman Raleigh 70.3 in June. Time to get back to serious training. Now to look into a proper Tri bike. I'd ask this group if I should pick one up, but I'm pretty sure I'm surrounded by a bunch of enablers.

DOOO EEETTTT!!!!

2017-02-10 10:11 PM

User image

Melon Presser

GO KAREN!!! (I'm betting you do it. How much worse than Vietnam '15 could it be? )

Disabled List
Daaaaang, people. Get better soon!

2017-02-10 10:14 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Hot Runner Still not sure if I belong on the race list or the DL! Felt a lot better yesterday and did make it to Singapore, but the plane messed up my sinuses (thought my head was going to explode when we landed--forgot you should ALWAYS take a decongestant before take-off if you are even the tiniest bit stuffed up, because of the havoc that landing does with your ears). Don't real feel "sick" anymore but still kind of congested. I have asthma, so that can make me wake up coughing and wheezing. Do much better when upright and outdoors away from AC and stale air. I think I am on an upward trend, but it's probably going to be a last-minute decision. Anyone wanting to read my sorry history of illness and racing can verify from my race log that this has happened, oh, six or seven times in the past! In particular, another event called the Singapore Aquathlon (Oly distance) and I have a very, very bad track record. I think I have shown up sick, or just over being sick, almost every single time for that race! I will race if I think I can do so without having an asthma attack or profoundly embarrassing myself (i.e. running a 30-minute 5K, or dropping out of a race that shouldn't take much longer than 35 minutes, in the Elite Wave). About to go do an easy jog and see if the body is functioning. I guess a bit less conservative than most--I'm only signed up for four races (maybe five--one is my hometown Oly, but they don't have signups yet and, in brilliant reflection of the F...up most of my life is most of the time, I don't actually know if that will still be my hometown by the end of July) this year. All but one (maybe, assuming Eugene is still my hometown!) involve either an international flight or domestic travel with long drives, hotel stays, etc. So pulling out of one is a big, big deal. (And oh yeah, at this point I am signed up for two HIM a week apart on opposite sides of the world. Will have to make a decision at some point, I guess. Travel Hell vs. putting trust in US/China relations?? At least I am now in Singapore, and the hotel turns out to be right next to a big department store that has one of the best sports sections in town. I'm in the market for more Nuun tablets, running shoes, and a pair of swim fins. Any recs for the latter? I'd always used the ones at our school pool, but they threw out all the old ones without warning me, and I'm sadly between sizes in the new ones--can't train in either. One size kills my feet, next size up is falling off. I just use them for some warmups, fly, kick drills, keeping my ankles flexible. (One thing I'm proud of about my swim--I did a video analysis at camp and the guy said that although my stroke was not perfect, I did, "Look like a swimmer. Nice kick, good body position, high in the water, flexible ankles." Apparently what I need to work on is body rotation, high elbow, and not over-rotating my head to breathe.) Random comment about climate change--I suppose it can't exist if our president says it doesn't (sarc font intended) but......In Saigon this year, rainy season just won't end. It should have ended by early December. As of last week, we were still having heavy rainstorms 3-4 days a week. The rest of the time it is slowly becoming more like normal dry-season weather, but those storms are really odd. And for weeks before (January), gloomy, drizzly weather. People who have lived there all their lives are commenting they have not seen anything like it.

If the shoe fits, wear it.

If the fin fits, go with it. If you have some choice, the old-style long floppy ones are best. If you still have choice, go with cheaper.

If you're a competent swimmer, it really doesn't matter which fins, though.

2017-02-11 1:24 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I know....I keep telling myself, at least it's not a 70.3, and however hideous it is, it should be over in 30-odd minutes. There's not even a bike leg, for goodness sake. But that means one is expected to swim fast, then run fast.I've also gotten myself into this with the kerfuffle over the Elite Wave last year. Now I'm the only 45-49 of either gender in that wave, and I'm dreading being last! I just can't visualize running fast for more than about 50 meters right now. Not sure how much is an actual physical issue, and how much just sheer physical and mental lassitude from having done nothing (and I mean NOTHING) but walk maybe 200m down the street to the grocery store/coffee shop) for a week. I don't think I even made the bed, or fixed any meals. I procured and ate some prepared food, washed dishes, fed cats, took out the trash, and went back to bed/couch, for four days straight.

And the latest in the saga of Karen the Luckless Triathlete: So much for my awesome hotel location right around the corner from my favorite sports stores. That big hole in the ground next to my hotel WAS Funan Center--the place with Running Lab and the big sports store that had several swim sections. I know there are other stores with a good selection of running shoes and swim shops, but the limited inspection of malls on Orchard Road that I was willing to do the day before a race after being sick for the past eight days did not turn up any. For the life of me, I can't seem to remember where I have bought running shoes at in the past, other than Running Lab, but I know I have. Maybe I will look for both shoes and fins at Vivo City tomorrow.

So pretty epic fail on the shopping front so far. Went for Nuun tablets, Kinvara, and swim fins, and maybe a book, and came back with....two cat T- shirts, one book, and three tubes of Nuun (all they had??). Plus one big bowl of beef noodles, a fresh OJ, one tea tarik, and peanut butter kaya toast (so healthy, la?). For those who know the retail frenzy that is Singapore, this is a pretty sad harvest!

Nap time!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102