BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-02-11 3:18 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by tomsimper I need to buy a wetsuit but haven't really a clue on what I am looking for. There seems to be a lot a price difference in them and obviously the more expensive the better it should be but I would be grateful if somebody could give me a few pointers in what I should be looking for?

I'm not sure what brands they have in the UK.  A lot of people here start wtih Xterra brand suits because they are fairly reasonably priced.  I was really really unsure about sizing so I ended up going to the tri shop and trying on a bunch.  If that is a possibility, I'd recommend doing that.

One of the things to understand is that the less expensive suits have a less -- I don't know that to call it -- less aggressive? --  cut to them.  Meaning that the seams might not be placed precisely for speed gains.  The materials might be less "slippery" in the water.  The thickness variations that affect buoyancy and speed in the water might not be there, etc.  That is not to say that a less expensive suit is not worth it, just that in some ways you get what you pay for, you know?

Another thing to consider is whether you want a full suit or a sleeveless suit.

I'll let people who have more expertise at swimming give take it from here (Ben? are you listening?)

To simplify things, the wetsuit is most entirely about fitting well since all of them will float some and be rather slick. There might be some slight differences in there, but fitting well outweighs that significantly. Most everywhere should fit at least snug to tight, depending on what that means to you. It's funny to see, but it's not really a joke that a good fitting one will take at least a few minutes to put on while accompanied by some hopping around, pulling, and wiggling along the way.

The shoulders are the one area it shouldn't be restrictive as your arms need to move. Don't just wave your arms around, but try some actual swim motions to make sure that goes ok. A bad fit here can add a lot of resistance and bring on fatigue much sooner and/or mess with your stroke. You don't really care so much how it feels just standing around, but very much so during swim motions.

The apparent fit can be affected by how well a suit is put on too. Pull the hips up tight so it might kind of feel like it's riding you a bit. Pull the arms on plenty far to give the shoulders room. The leg bottoms and the sleeves end up where they end up. This is not a dress shirt or pants so don't worry if these end up short, even substantially short.

As price goes up the quality of the rubber does too. Mostly that means it'll be more flexible, so more easily conforming and able to move in. Across brands it can be more the specific nature of the cut, like with pretty much any other clothing. Slightly more or less shoulder, a little more or less torso length, etc. Xterra can be alright, I've used a few of them. I've seen the idea put up to compare their sale prices though, not the list price, as they're on sale so often.

Sleeve vs sleeveless can be interesting. Sleeveless tends to be easier to fit without the complications of the shoulders. Still make sure the openings stay tight on the torso so they don't scoop water so much. A good fitting sleeved suit should be a little faster though. There is also heat potential. I'd overheat on longer borderline wetsuit legal swims with full sleeves. They are nice to have for colder water though.

I don't have much technical to add other than it is super helpful to try some on first. The sizing and type of fit can vary. Our multisport store had a great sale on Orca brand but I could NOT wiggle myself into that thing! It was horrible. So, the Orca fits really small (and I am not that big, 5'3" 120lbs, usually - not at the moment). I have Nineteen brand suit, while it isn't the easiest to get on i don't feel like i am dying in it and can get it on but the fit was in line with the size guidelines and it works well for me. 

I can't remember what part of the country you're in but Tri UK in Yeovil have an endless pool where you can try on wetsuits. I recommend getting fitted for one properly because wetsuits feel so wrong when dry. Very restrictive until you get in the water. Tri UK also offer wetsuit rental where you pay £××.×× per season and if you want to keep the suit after you pay the rest of the cost. If not, just return it. One word of advice, it's good to take a plastic carrier bag with you to help getting the suit on.

Probably a stupid question but how does a plastic bag help you get a wetsuit on? I live in Manchester so Yeovil is a long trip, was going to head to the triexpo which is on in Manchester in March and look then as they are advertising that there is a pool to try wetsuits on. Thank you all for the advice so will def go to the exp to get on instead of just ordering off line as previously had planned.

2017-02-11 3:19 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Possibly Racing Manatee!!!

February 11-12
Karen - Singapore Sprint Aquathlon on Sunday (maybe)

Disabled List
Mike - recovery from back surgery
Anne - under the weather
Robin K - back issues
Robin P - under the weather
Karen - under the weather (or maybe racing?)

Good luck Karen if you race and with you adventure in Singapore and finding a sports shop to get your stuff from. Speedy recovery to all on the DL!
2017-02-11 5:28 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Tom - place the bag (s) over your leg/arm before putting it in the wetsuit. That way the wetsuit will slide over the bag instead of sticking to your skin. Makes it 10x easier.
2017-02-11 6:15 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Success at last. Did what I should have done this morning before heading over to Orchard Road...checked online and Running Lab has another store now in a mall about a kilometer away. After a short siesta, hiked over there and managed to find some shoes. A bit more time on my feet than I would have liked, given race tomorrow and being sick all week, but given that I'm not in top racing form anyway, think the need for comfortable training shoes trumps race performance at this point.

Honestly doubt tomorrow will be much more than showing up, "completing", and picking up the T-shirt, and maybe getting in a nice cooldown swim on the other beach. Probably will never be asked to the Elite Wave again, and be told I'm "too old" for the rest of my life! Not congested anymore but my energy levels just aren't back yet. Trying to think positive--two days ago there is no way I would have managed a short run plus about four km. total of walking and a couple of short MRT rides. But I know my body and don't think a miracle cure is in the works.
2017-02-11 10:04 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Originally posted by awm007 Just pulled the trigger on the White Lake Spring Olympic and the Ironman Raleigh 70.3 in June. Time to get back to serious training. Now to look into a proper Tri bike. I'd ask this group if I should pick one up, but I'm pretty sure I'm surrounded by a bunch of enablers.

DOOO EEETTTT!!!!

Ha ha! I was going to be disappointed if no one said that!
2017-02-13 5:38 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
For anyone wondering, I did do the race on Sunday. Probably not going to bother with a RR, because in my book, for me, anything that involves a 23 minute 5K is not exactly a race. I did have a good swim, 12 seconds faster than my previous best last year on the same course (though of course got my butt kicked by all the teenagers in the "elite" wave), but my lungs were just not up to much more than a brisk training run pace. Every time I tried to go below that I started coughing and wheezing. Just did a steady pace and finished. It ended up being good enough for 2nd in my AG (even though a lot slower than last year) and 12th overall. It's a fun event and I'm glad I toughed it out and did it, but very frustrating not to be have 100% to give. (It was more like 70-75%.) Weird....It's probably the one race I've done in my life where there were just zero nerves on the starting line. I knew I wasn't working with enough to have anything approaching my best race, so it was just, "Let's start this turkey already and get it over with!"

Will probably go off the air for another few days--This is a crazy few weeks in my life! There was the training camp; home for a day, then sick all week. Then a weekend in Singapore, home for two nights, and tomorrow I am off with my students on a field trip to a national park till Thursday PM. It will be really, really good to spend some time at home and get back to regular training.

Sadly, between illness, Singapore, and now the park, I might be missing "winter". Lows are supposed to be 70-71 all week. That is normally about as low as it gets all year. Surprised the government hasn't issues a cold weather alert yet.

2017-02-13 7:11 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner For anyone wondering, I did do the race on Sunday. Probably not going to bother with a RR, because in my book, for me, anything that involves a 23 minute 5K is not exactly a race. I did have a good swim, 12 seconds faster than my previous best last year on the same course (though of course got my butt kicked by all the teenagers in the "elite" wave), but my lungs were just not up to much more than a brisk training run pace. Every time I tried to go below that I started coughing and wheezing. Just did a steady pace and finished. It ended up being good enough for 2nd in my AG (even though a lot slower than last year) and 12th overall. It's a fun event and I'm glad I toughed it out and did it, but very frustrating not to be have 100% to give. (It was more like 70-75%.) Weird....It's probably the one race I've done in my life where there were just zero nerves on the starting line. I knew I wasn't working with enough to have anything approaching my best race, so it was just, "Let's start this turkey already and get it over with!" Will probably go off the air for another few days--This is a crazy few weeks in my life! There was the training camp; home for a day, then sick all week. Then a weekend in Singapore, home for two nights, and tomorrow I am off with my students on a field trip to a national park till Thursday PM. It will be really, really good to spend some time at home and get back to regular training. Sadly, between illness, Singapore, and now the park, I might be missing "winter". Lows are supposed to be 70-71 all week. That is normally about as low as it gets all year. Surprised the government hasn't issues a cold weather alert yet.

Sounds like a pretty darn good race from where I am sitting. Good for you for doing it.

Enjoy the Park!

2017-02-13 11:10 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Happy Monday, gang. I knocked out my 24-mile run Saturday on mostly gravel, but ended up tweaking my left calf and getting a cluster of blisters on my right big toe. Didn't do the 10-mile follow up yesterday as I could barely hobble around, mostly because of my calf. I know it was the right decision to rest yesterday, but still feeling a little deflated. 

2017-02-13 11:20 AM

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

For anyone wondering, I did do the race on Sunday. Probably not going to bother with a RR, because in my book, for me, anything that involves a 23 minute 5K is not exactly a race. I did have a good swim, 12 seconds faster than my previous best last year on the same course (though of course got my butt kicked by all the teenagers in the "elite" wave), but my lungs were just not up to much more than a brisk training run pace. Every time I tried to go below that I started coughing and wheezing. Just did a steady pace and finished. It ended up being good enough for 2nd in my AG (even though a lot slower than last year) and 12th overall. It's a fun event and I'm glad I toughed it out and did it, but very frustrating not to be have 100% to give. (It was more like 70-75%.) Weird....It's probably the one race I've done in my life where there were just zero nerves on the starting line. I knew I wasn't working with enough to have anything approaching my best race, so it was just, "Let's start this turkey already and get it over with!"

Will probably go off the air for another few days--This is a crazy few weeks in my life! There was the training camp; home for a day, then sick all week. Then a weekend in Singapore, home for two nights, and tomorrow I am off with my students on a field trip to a national park till Thursday PM. It will be really, really good to spend some time at home and get back to regular training.

Sadly, between illness, Singapore, and now the park, I might be missing "winter". Lows are supposed to be 70-71 all week. That is normally about as low as it gets all year. Surprised the government hasn't issues a cold weather alert yet.

Well done in getting through the race and coming second in your AG considering you were ill!
2017-02-13 11:22 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Happy Monday, gang. I knocked out my 24-mile run Saturday on mostly gravel, but ended up tweaking my left calf and getting a cluster of blisters on my right big toe. Didn't do the 10-mile follow up yesterday as I could barely hobble around, mostly because of my calf. I know it was the right decision to rest yesterday, but still feeling a little deflated. 

Well done on the 24mile run and definately the right choice to miss the 10miler yesterday as you may have done some damage to yourself!
2017-02-13 11:51 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by tomsimper

Well done on the 24mile run and definately the right choice to miss the 10miler yesterday as you may have done some damage to yourself!

Agreed. 24 miles is darn impressive and there is no glory in furthering an injury. Nice job and you made the right call!

2017-02-13 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

yep!

2017-02-13 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Hot Runner For anyone wondering, I did do the race on Sunday. Probably not going to bother with a RR, because in my book, for me, anything that involves a 23 minute 5K is not exactly a race. I did have a good swim, 12 seconds faster than my previous best last year on the same course (though of course got my butt kicked by all the teenagers in the "elite" wave), but my lungs were just not up to much more than a brisk training run pace. Every time I tried to go below that I started coughing and wheezing. Just did a steady pace and finished. It ended up being good enough for 2nd in my AG (even though a lot slower than last year) and 12th overall. It's a fun event and I'm glad I toughed it out and did it, but very frustrating not to be have 100% to give. (It was more like 70-75%.) Weird....It's probably the one race I've done in my life where there were just zero nerves on the starting line. I knew I wasn't working with enough to have anything approaching my best race, so it was just, "Let's start this turkey already and get it over with!" Will probably go off the air for another few days--This is a crazy few weeks in my life! There was the training camp; home for a day, then sick all week. Then a weekend in Singapore, home for two nights, and tomorrow I am off with my students on a field trip to a national park till Thursday PM. It will be really, really good to spend some time at home and get back to regular training. Sadly, between illness, Singapore, and now the park, I might be missing "winter". Lows are supposed to be 70-71 all week. That is normally about as low as it gets all year. Surprised the government hasn't issues a cold weather alert yet.

Sounds like a pretty darn good race from where I am sitting. Good for you for doing it.

Enjoy the Park!

Yes, congratulations on the AG placement, especially since you were under the weather!  

2017-02-13 1:36 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by awm007

Agreed. 24 miles is darn impressive and there is no glory in furthering an injury. Nice job and you made the right call!

Agreed, at this point you're ready - so heal up and take it easy if you need to. You've done all the work and you'll get through your race! 

That is some crazy training distance! 

2017-02-13 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Enjoy the Park!

Ditto!  Sorry to hear that the lungs are still junky, but sounds like you're on the mend (as you have made a stunner comeback from where you were a handful of days prior to the race).

2017-02-13 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Criminey!  I'd feel deflated from that 24 miler. 

Agree with you (and others) that dropping yesterday was the right call.  I'm gonna posit that the 24 miler was the major training stress you wanted anyway, so that's a plus.

And 24 miles is still a LOT of weekend miles!

Matt

2017-02-13 2:46 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Criminey!  I'd feel deflated from that 24 miler. 

Agree with you (and others) that dropping yesterday was the right call.  I'm gonna posit that the 24 miler was the major training stress you wanted anyway, so that's a plus.

And 24 miles is still a LOT of weekend miles!

Matt

Yeah, you're doing good. From what I understand of ultra training, the 10 miles the day after would have been more to get more used to still going when tired. Little more psychological than physiological. You have some other big weekends in the bank the last few weeks too. Those weren't for nothing.

2017-02-13 3:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Great job Karen and Lisa!
2017-02-13 4:37 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Quick question that I know was asked, but search engine won't bring it up for me (and I scanned back but can't find the right page on the thread).

Anyone know how to get Zwift onto BT other than a direct upload?  I have it linked to Strava (which won't "count" it, as it's a virtual ride - fair enough) and TP, but not Garmin Express or BT. 

Really just want to add BT, as I've never much used Garmin except to push to other sites (and only need BT more for fun, as TP has good analytics and Strava has the FB of fitness aspect covered for me), but don't want to download/save/upload every time.

Apologies for retreading this...  Thank, though. 

Matt

PS - see what happens with a taper week?  All this time to THINK (bad for everyone).

2017-02-13 6:11 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Smithtown, New York
I have been having a rough month so far. I haven't found the energy to run or go hard on my bike ride except a week ago. Then over the weekend I got sick, whole body just hurt, tired and dehydrated. Been sleeping a lot but somewhat restless. I definitely feel that my mind can do so much more than my body will allow, it's very tough going from a middle/front packer to a beginner. Also runnings been hard, barely have been thanks to a bum ankle that finally healed over the weekend....it has finally healed :D

Now that I'm done venting I want to really need advice on starting over, Still very motivated and thankfully not taking it too hard but I'm mentally exhausted with this fatigue. I would love to try and find a solution to this so that I can properly begin exercising and not be hurting myself coming back
2017-02-13 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Enjoy the Park!

Man this girl can only dream of a 23 minute 5k, In fact I would settle for a 30 minute one.

Well done Karen. I hope you enjoy your trip with your kids.

2017-02-13 8:29 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Rileyvb91

I have been having a rough month so far. I haven't found the energy to run or go hard on my bike ride except a week ago. Then over the weekend I got sick, whole body just hurt, tired and dehydrated. Been sleeping a lot but somewhat restless. I definitely feel that my mind can do so much more than my body will allow, it's very tough going from a middle/front packer to a beginner. Also runnings been hard, barely have been thanks to a bum ankle that finally healed over the weekend....it has finally healed :D

Now that I'm done venting I want to really need advice on starting over, Still very motivated and thankfully not taking it too hard but I'm mentally exhausted with this fatigue. I would love to try and find a solution to this so that I can properly begin exercising and not be hurting myself coming back
Hi Riley, if you are sick you need to give yourself some time to get better. there is no point pushing it while you are unwell cause you will just be sicker for longer.

I cant remember how you hurt your ankle, but I do remember you saying that you were doing run/walk and trying to cut out the walk. Did you try and do this too quickly and is that how you got hurt or was it more that you rolled it or some incident that you can specifically pinpoint.
2017-02-14 9:10 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good job on the race, Karen. Sorry to see you haven't felt well. I hope you enjoy the park trip.

2017-02-14 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good job on the 24 miles and even better job on knowing when to reel it in and heal. I hope you feel a little less deflated today.

2017-02-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Quick question that I know was asked, but search engine won't bring it up for me (and I scanned back but can't find the right page on the thread).

Anyone know how to get Zwift onto BT other than a direct upload?  I have it linked to Strava (which won't "count" it, as it's a virtual ride - fair enough) and TP, but not Garmin Express or BT. 

Really just want to add BT, as I've never much used Garmin except to push to other sites (and only need BT more for fun, as TP has good analytics and Strava has the FB of fitness aspect covered for me), but don't want to download/save/upload every time.

Apologies for retreading this...  Thank, though. 

Matt

PS - see what happens with a taper week?  All this time to THINK (bad for everyone).

Funny, this popped up on FB yesterday - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2817

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102