BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-02-14 9:42 AM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I have been having a rough month so far. I haven't found the energy to run or go hard on my bike ride except a week ago. Then over the weekend I got sick, whole body just hurt, tired and dehydrated. Been sleeping a lot but somewhat restless. I definitely feel that my mind can do so much more than my body will allow, it's very tough going from a middle/front packer to a beginner. Also runnings been hard, barely have been thanks to a bum ankle that finally healed over the weekend....it has finally healed :D Now that I'm done venting I want to really need advice on starting over, Still very motivated and thankfully not taking it too hard but I'm mentally exhausted with this fatigue. I would love to try and find a solution to this so that I can properly begin exercising and not be hurting myself coming back

I don't know that I can offer meaningful help about starting over when you are exhausted with fatigue.  You need to figure out why you are so exhausted and work to correct that.  Once you are feeling better it's pretty straight forward, jump back in with a slow build.  If you have trouble training alone, find a running group, masters swim group and or bike club.    I also find having a race to target helps keep me on track.

Good luck and feel better!

2017-02-14 9:53 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Quick question that I know was asked, but search engine won't bring it up for me (and I scanned back but can't find the right page on the thread).

Anyone know how to get Zwift onto BT other than a direct upload?  I have it linked to Strava (which won't "count" it, as it's a virtual ride - fair enough) and TP, but not Garmin Express or BT. 

Really just want to add BT, as I've never much used Garmin except to push to other sites (and only need BT more for fun, as TP has good analytics and Strava has the FB of fitness aspect covered for me), but don't want to download/save/upload every time.

Apologies for retreading this...  Thank, though. 

Matt

PS - see what happens with a taper week?  All this time to THINK (bad for everyone).

Funny, this popped up on FB yesterday - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2817

I was thinking about trying to get set up for Zwift for my IM training. Not sure what I need though.
2017-02-14 11:57 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Smithtown, New York
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I have been having a rough month so far. I haven't found the energy to run or go hard on my bike ride except a week ago. Then over the weekend I got sick, whole body just hurt, tired and dehydrated. Been sleeping a lot but somewhat restless. I definitely feel that my mind can do so much more than my body will allow, it's very tough going from a middle/front packer to a beginner. Also runnings been hard, barely have been thanks to a bum ankle that finally healed over the weekend....it has finally healed :D Now that I'm done venting I want to really need advice on starting over, Still very motivated and thankfully not taking it too hard but I'm mentally exhausted with this fatigue. I would love to try and find a solution to this so that I can properly begin exercising and not be hurting myself coming back

I don't know that I can offer meaningful help about starting over when you are exhausted with fatigue.  You need to figure out why you are so exhausted and work to correct that.  Once you are feeling better it's pretty straight forward, jump back in with a slow build.  If you have trouble training alone, find a running group, masters swim group and or bike club.    I also find having a race to target helps keep me on track.

I've definitely been getting my diet a lot better over the past year. I'm coming with a strategy to increase the my run intervals roughly 10% a week, 20-40s walking, until I'm walking only every other mile by June. Also increasing my long runs & bikes 10% every other week so I'm hitting a 10 mile run and bike ride just before my taper in August
2017-02-14 12:03 PM

Master
Northern IL

Hang in there Riley. Your body can only do as much as it can recover from. As was suggested, keep trying to figure out those other things causing exhaustion or restlessness. Consider lowering expectations of what you can do right now. Especially with injuries & sickness, take care of those. Extending these out by trying to power through to stave off fitness losses can hurt more in the long run as they can take substantially longer to get through.

Understand very well about seeing the gap in ability between now and then. Was significantly faster just a few years ago too. Had to do a lot of relaxing on thinking too much about that difference. Just looking where I'm at now and going forward with that. The excess fatigue can make this feel like a really heavy weight, so keep working on that. You'll pull through this.

2017-02-14 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Karen - Congrats on getting ‘er done — and with a podium finish at that!
Lisa - Sorry about the calf issues. Glad that they seem to be abating.
Riley - Take care!

2017-02-14 12:18 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations to Laura on her NEW BIKE!

2017-02-14 12:42 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Quick question that I know was asked, but search engine won't bring it up for me (and I scanned back but can't find the right page on the thread).

Anyone know how to get Zwift onto BT other than a direct upload?  I have it linked to Strava (which won't "count" it, as it's a virtual ride - fair enough) and TP, but not Garmin Express or BT. 

Really just want to add BT, as I've never much used Garmin except to push to other sites (and only need BT more for fun, as TP has good analytics and Strava has the FB of fitness aspect covered for me), but don't want to download/save/upload every time.

Matt

PS - see what happens with a taper week?  All this time to THINK (bad for everyone).

Funny, this popped up on FB yesterday - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2817

+1 on https://tapiriik.com/. I have an off-brand (non-Garmin) watch that will sync with Strava. Tapirik syncs everything from Strava to BT pretty seamlessly. I pay the $2 per year for the automated service.
2017-02-14 1:30 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Originally posted by rrrunner

Matt

I was thinking about trying to get set up for Zwift for my IM training. Not sure what I need though.

I do most of my riding on Zwift. In order for me to get a ride in outside I need to drive about 20 mins from my house, so just being able to jump on in my garage and get as close to the real thing as I've ever experienced has made me a big fan of Zwift. I have a Kickr although from what I've read any old trainer will do. I'm not sure if it's not a "Smart Trainer" you'll enjoy it as much though. It's very cool to see a hill ahead on my computer and have the resistance change automatically! Other than that I personally use a 5 yr old Apple Laptop and you need an ANT+ dongle thing with an extender which was about $30 on Amazon. The fee of $10/month is high but for me I tend to use it more cause I won't let that $ go to waste .
2017-02-14 1:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by awm007

Matt

+1 on https://tapiriik.com/.I have an off-brand (non-Garmin) watch that will sync with Strava. Tapirik syncs everything from Strava to BT pretty seamlessly. I pay the $2 per year for the automated service.

Very cool - thanks!  Had seen that name (tapiriik) but never knew what it was for.

For anyone using it, when you cut over to it, did you have to disable other services, or does it "deconflict" workouts and only save new ones (no duplicates)?

Also, will it pull old workouts from one site across to others if they're not there (like pulling my Zwift rides that are on Strava and TP but not BT across to BT) automagically?

Matt

ETA - I just don't want to blow up all my existing sites with duplicate or triplicate workouts, and would also love to just have them all in each site...
M

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2017-02-14 1:44 PM
2017-02-14 1:49 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Matt

I do most of my riding on Zwift. In order for me to get a ride in outside I need to drive about 20 mins from my house, so just being able to jump on in my garage and get as close to the real thing as I've ever experienced has made me a big fan of Zwift. I have a Kickr although from what I've read any old trainer will do. I'm not sure if it's not a "Smart Trainer" you'll enjoy it as much though. It's very cool to see a hill ahead on my computer and have the resistance change automatically! Other than that I personally use a 5 yr old Apple Laptop and you need an ANT+ dongle thing with an extender which was about $30 on Amazon. The fee of $10/month is high but for me I tend to use it more cause I won't let that $ go to waste .

I'm really enjoying Zwift.  The other riders and courses couple with the smart trainer make it feel much closer to riding outside (which I've also pretty much stopped doing - too many white pickup trucks here. Not sure why, but drivers of white pickups in particular seem to hate dudes in spandex).  So much so, that my wattage is much closer to my outdoor riding - right off the bat - than the same rig without the ipad in front of me.

Silly brain!  But whatevs, it works to get me riding harder, so I'm all in for the illusion.

I have not yet tried workout mode, but after this weekend's HM (or maybe after the 10k we're doing in a couple months) I plan to get back into structured training on the bike and will try it then.  Might or might not take something away from the experience - we'll see...

Matt

2017-02-14 2:21 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Matt

+1 on https://tapiriik.com/.I have an off-brand (non-Garmin) watch that will sync with Strava. Tapirik syncs everything from Strava to BT pretty seamlessly. I pay the $2 per year for the automated service.

Very cool - thanks!  Had seen that name (tapiriik) but never knew what it was for.

For anyone using it, when you cut over to it, did you have to disable other services, or does it "deconflict" workouts and only save new ones (no duplicates)?

Also, will it pull old workouts from one site across to others if they're not there (like pulling my Zwift rides that are on Strava and TP but not BT across to BT) automagically?

Matt

ETA - I just don't want to blow up all my existing sites with duplicate or triplicate workouts, and would also love to just have them all in each site...
M

I honestly don't know. Last year, I used my watch to auto sync to Strava, then Tapiriik to Garmin Connect, then Garmin Connect to BT. When Tapiriik starting supporting BT directly, I added it to Tapiriik as well (so I had Strava, GC, and BT all listed). When I did, I found that I did have some duplicates going back a ways on BT. Based on that, I think it will sync some on your logs for xx period of time. Once I removed Garmin Connect from Tapiriik, I no longer get duplicates. Right now, using Tapiriik to just connect Strava and BT works really well. YMMV though.

2017-02-14 6:04 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Matt

Matt

M

I honestly don't know. Last year, I used my watch to auto sync to Strava, then Tapiriik to Garmin Connect, then Garmin Connect to BT. When Tapiriik starting supporting BT directly, I added it to Tapiriik as well (so I had Strava, GC, and BT all listed). When I did, I found that I did have some duplicates going back a ways on BT. Based on that, I think it will sync some on your logs for xx period of time. Once I removed Garmin Connect from Tapiriik, I no longer get duplicates. Right now, using Tapiriik to just connect Strava and BT works really well. YMMV though.

I do get duplicates on BT but it might be because, as mentioned above, I need to turn off the garmin connect. I'll give that a try.

2017-02-15 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

And now for something completely different   Any Manatee use an Instapot?  If so, just how swell is it and which one do you use? 

2017-02-15 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

And now for something completely different   Any Manatee use an Instapot?  If so, just how swell is it and which one do you use? 

Yes, I have an Instant Pot, 6 qt me thinks. I like it.  I don't use it every day but it's a great tool to have. I also do the "Once a month meals" (though I do several mini sessions) and the combination with the IP and my slow cooker makes my weeknights less stressful.

2017-02-15 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yes, I have an Instant Pot, 6 qt me thinks. I like it.  I don't use it every day but it's a great tool to have. I also do the "Once a month meals" (though I do several mini sessions) and the combination with the IP and my slow cooker makes my weeknights less stressful.

thanks!

2017-02-15 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

For a moment I thought your slow cooker connected to the internet. 

2017-02-15 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Funny you say that. I've seen a number of times when someone was asking for help in the FB forum and with the power of auto correct they asked how to prepare something in their iPhone
2017-02-16 6:30 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

One of the reasons for me being away.

Training of a different type going on here.

(Raven1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Raven1.jpg (201KB - 3 downloads)
2017-02-16 7:02 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

One of the reasons for me being away.

Training of a different type going on here.

Aww!  That's a great reason to be away!

2017-02-16 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hell - refrigerators and stoves do.  Why not the slow cooker?  You could remotely start/stop it, review the internal temperature, make it beep, all kinds of cool stuff. 

As an added bonus, it would give hackers another opportunity to get into your wifi system and steal your identity. 

2017-02-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hell - refrigerators and stoves do.  Why not the slow cooker?  You could remotely start/stop it, review the internal temperature, make it beep, all kinds of cool stuff. 

As an added bonus, it would give hackers another opportunity to get into your wifi system and steal your identity. 

Actually, I think there is a bluetooth version!

2017-02-16 10:26 AM

Master
Northern IL

Wifi enabled slow cooker.

2017-02-16 11:33 AM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I'm in training this week :P
2017-02-16 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rileyvb91

I've definitely been getting my diet a lot better over the past year. I'm coming with a strategy to increase the my run intervals roughly 10% a week, 20-40s walking, until I'm walking only every other mile by June. Also increasing my long runs & bikes 10% every other week so I'm hitting a 10 mile run and bike ride just before my taper in August

I always suggest it due to my personal experience - but if you already know the sources of your fatigue then this may not matter but i've had very low vitamin B12 levels (even though i eat meat) before as well as borderline Iron levels. So for me, if i am experiencing normal training levels, life stress as well then it is time to get checked out. It seems to be particular to when i am in heavy training. 

anyway, it may not be your issue but something to think about. 

2017-02-16 11:34 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by brigby1

Wifi enabled slow cooker.

Just wait until all of these things become self aware.  Can you imaging the havoc an evil slow-cooker could wreak?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102