BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-03-24 1:09 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

March 25-26
Tom A - ORRRC Splash n Dash #3 on Sunday

Disabled List
Chris - under the weather
Robin P - recovering from Mhos surgery

Reminder:  Please post your races or events in your training blog -- either in the dashboard info at the top (use the Edit Dashboard option) or as races on the right.  It is super awesome if you can add your stuff to races! (I'm looking' at you, Riley!)

Go TOM!!!!!!!!!

Heal up Chris and Robin.

Hands it's great to see your improvements too!

Thanks! I'm cautiously optimistic things are resolving!

2017-03-24 4:22 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

March 25-26

Disabled List

Reminder:  Please post your races or events in your training blog -- either in the dashboard info at the top (use the Edit Dashboard option) or as races on the right.  It is super awesome if you can add your stuff to races! (I'm looking' at you, Riley!)

Go Tom!

Get better Chris and Robin and all our other walking wounded, which I think is a few of you.
2017-03-24 4:27 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Sorry I haven't been around much recently.

We've had major IT issues at work (well I have) that have resulted in me doing things 3 times or taking twice as long as it should to do anything. It's been so frustrating that I have threatened to going back to doing double entry accounting books by hand which didn't go down well with K who is my assistant accountant.

Anyway we finally made it to the weekend and I can forget about it for 24 hours.
2017-03-24 4:46 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

March 25-26

Disabled List

Race well Tom!

Robin, I hope you are doing OK.

Hands, it is good to see you are not on the list of sickies. Try to keep that hammy hapy!

2017-03-24 6:36 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

PSA:  

Enter code at checkout and save 25% through April 15th

ROKA4-29e55c46

So, if you are in the market for something like a swimskin..

2017-03-24 8:07 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Have thought about those as they would allow me to compete in something other than skintight onesies (which I favor due to fitting woes with two piece; I'm kind of OCD about stuff flapping around on the swim), but always figured with my level of coordination (approximately age 4-5), any time it might save me on the swim would be more than compensated by time spent taking it off. Plus I think I would look like I was trying to be a pro or something.

2017-03-24 8:27 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Had a high about 35F during the run two days ago. Today was 79F, but dropped under 40F within about 4 hours. I don't actually mind the return as I'm not ready to go all the way to 80 yet.

2017-03-24 10:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I am ready to have a LOW that is substantially below 80 degrees!

As for" spring break", you can have mine if you would like to:

1. Complete 10-12 hours of HIM training in high heat and humidity

2. Find a new apartment within my budget--must be in a deathly quiet building, preferably with a quiet 9-5 business downstairs so I can grind away on my trainer with impunity at 5 AM, have a landlord amenable to two cats; fully-furnished, but landlord willing to move out the living room sofa set so I can take my clawed-up stuff and protect the landlord's (I promise, they will only claw my sofa and chairs--it's all they do here.)

3. Do a work permit physical that takes about five hours and consists of visiting 12 different offices in a giant hospital, plus fasting, blood work, etc. Probably a 50% chance you will be hit up for a blood donation at the same time if we share the same (somewhat rare) blood type.

4. Continue purging everything from my current apartment that I don't need so I don't have to move it

5. Take the little kitty (the one whose mom was a feral street fighter) for her annual shots. You will not survive unscathed!

6. Organize assessments, practice, and challenge work for the last two math units.

7. Book my accommodation for CDA 70.3 and start figuring out how one gets to/from Tennessee in a week with a bike.

8. Cooking, bill-paying, cleaning, cat care, and general maintenance

You can have all that (plus free accommodation above a coffee shop with my fur children) and I will go lie on a beach in Thailand somewhere nice and linger over buffet breakfasts and coffee for two hours a day. Or maybe I can find an open water swim camp (screw the bike and run--it's too hot now in SE Asia to do those for fun) and do nothing but swim, eat, and read.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-03-24 10:17 PM
2017-03-25 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sorry--spring break tirade should be on another thread where people were teasing the teachers about it. But the offer still stands!
2017-03-25 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner I am ready to have a LOW that is substantially below 80 degrees! As for" spring break", you can have mine if you would like to: 1. Complete 10-12 hours of HIM training in high heat and humidity 2. Find a new apartment within my budget--must be in a deathly quiet building, preferably with a quiet 9-5 business downstairs so I can grind away on my trainer with impunity at 5 AM, have a landlord amenable to two cats; fully-furnished, but landlord willing to move out the living room sofa set so I can take my clawed-up stuff and protect the landlord's (I promise, they will only claw my sofa and chairs--it's all they do here.) 3. Do a work permit physical that takes about five hours and consists of visiting 12 different offices in a giant hospital, plus fasting, blood work, etc. Probably a 50% chance you will be hit up for a blood donation at the same time if we share the same (somewhat rare) blood type. 4. Continue purging everything from my current apartment that I don't need so I don't have to move it 5. Take the little kitty (the one whose mom was a feral street fighter) for her annual shots. You will not survive unscathed! 6. Organize assessments, practice, and challenge work for the last two math units. 7. Book my accommodation for CDA 70.3 and start figuring out how one gets to/from Tennessee in a week with a bike. 8. Cooking, bill-paying, cleaning, cat care, and general maintenance You can have all that (plus free accommodation above a coffee shop with my fur children) and I will go lie on a beach in Thailand somewhere nice and linger over buffet breakfasts and coffee for two hours a day. Or maybe I can find an open water swim camp (screw the bike and run--it's too hot now in SE Asia to do those for fun) and do nothing but swim, eat, and read.

I will do all of that except for the physical (I can donate a pint though, fairly rare type myself) and do any work stuff. I am not qualified for that and the mess ups I would make would make your life horrible.  I'll stay an extra week or two as a tourist since I have never been there and bring your bike home with me and deliver it to you for the race. You will have to train on another bike, though. Let me know

2017-03-25 12:19 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Good luck in the Splash n Dash, Tom. Heal up Chris and Robin! Hope everyone else is getting some good training in this weekend.

I took my new bike out on my first long solo ride - Love it! I feel like I picked up a couple of MPH instantly. However, the long ride made me realize I could use a new bike helmet. I'm currently sporting a $20 Amazon special but with the aggressive geometry of the new bike, it felt really heavy. I'm sure my neck muscles will adapt, but I feel like I could do better than my current helmet.

I'm hoping the pod could recommend a helmet.

Priority would be light, breathable, and comfortable on a long ride. Budget is around $75 (perhaps a little more if there is something clearly superior near this price point). I should note that I'm not in the market for an aero helmet. I feel like those, while cool, imply a level of competitiveness I'm not at right now, so I'd prefer a traditional-style helmet.

Anyone have a helmet they love?

2017-03-25 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I am ready to have a LOW that is substantially below 80 degrees!

As for" spring break", you can have mine if you would like to:

1. Complete 10-12 hours of HIM training in high heat and humidity

2. Find a new apartment within my budget--must be in a deathly quiet building, preferably with a quiet 9-5 business downstairs so I can grind away on my trainer with impunity at 5 AM, have a landlord amenable to two cats; fully-furnished, but landlord willing to move out the living room sofa set so I can take my clawed-up stuff and protect the landlord's (I promise, they will only claw my sofa and chairs--it's all they do here.)

3. Do a work permit physical that takes about five hours and consists of visiting 12 different offices in a giant hospital, plus fasting, blood work, etc. Probably a 50% chance you will be hit up for a blood donation at the same time if we share the same (somewhat rare) blood type.

4. Continue purging everything from my current apartment that I don't need so I don't have to move it

5. Take the little kitty (the one whose mom was a feral street fighter) for her annual shots. You will not survive unscathed!

6. Organize assessments, practice, and challenge work for the last two math units.

7. Book my accommodation for CDA 70.3 and start figuring out how one gets to/from Tennessee in a week with a bike.

8. Cooking, bill-paying, cleaning, cat care, and general maintenance

You can have all that (plus free accommodation above a coffee shop with my fur children) and I will go lie on a beach in Thailand somewhere nice and linger over buffet breakfasts and coffee for two hours a day. Or maybe I can find an open water swim camp (screw the bike and run--it's too hot now in SE Asia to do those for fun) and do nothing but swim, eat, and read.

I would gladly trade you. I am spending mine at the Cleveland Clinic so my wife can have her second (and hopefully final) Colitis related surgery.
2017-03-25 6:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think I will keep mine. Your wife would probably be surprised at a stranger bedside. But best wishes for her that she recovers well and no further surgeries are needed!

On the subject of helmets.....I got an aero helmet (Rudy Project Wing 57) last Christmas---my coach had two that she/her husband didn't want or wouldn't fit or something and was offering them very cheaply to her athletes. I'm racing in four weeks (sprint tri in Singapore). How different does the helmet feel and should I make sure to try it outside before the race? Or just try it on the trainer a bit? I rarely ride outdoors here, at least training rides on my tri bike, and riding down the road with that thing in a non-race situation is not only going to make me feel like dork and a half, but possibly attract unwanted attention that could jeopardize my safety. (Mainly, motorcyclists riding too close to get a better look and clipping me. It happens even with the tri bike and normal helmets/clothes. I am the only woman with a tri bike in the city!) I know the helmet fits, but don't want to find out in a race some important detail I don't know. Or just take it for a spin the day before the race (and maybe take the other one as a backup)?

As for non-aero helmets, I have been using a Giro helmet for pretty much everything (road biking, commuting, racing, MTB pleasure rides) for years. Not exactly sure of the model but very similar to the Verona currently on their website. It is very light,well-ventilated (which matters a lot for a long ride/race in the heat here), and has a detachable visor. Nothing fancy, but better than a Wal-Mart special, and should be within your price range. $72.49 at Chain Reaction Cycles right now but I didn't search for a better deal, just looking up the model--surely you could find one online or at a bike shop.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-03-25 6:59 PM
2017-03-26 9:16 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees!!!

March 25-26

Disabled List

Go Tom! Get better Chris and Robin and all our other walking wounded, which I think is a few of you.

Had a fun race this morning to get the season rolling.  The local road runners club puts on these great events that are 1) swim/run 2) just run.  So I did the just run as a heat check for my more of an A race in a couple weeks.

The course was super hilly for a 5k.  Definitely the hilliest 5k that I've ever done.  I just didn't even look at my pacing when I was going up the hills because I knew it would be terrible.  I just tried to keep the effort level the same.

I ran a 21:24 (watch time), and I'm pretty sure I can take off those 24 seconds for my next race in two weeks.  Felt good, and it's great to have such cool races close to home.

2017-03-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by awm007 Good luck in the Splash n Dash, Tom. Heal up Chris and Robin! Hope everyone else is getting some good training in this weekend. I took my new bike out on my first long solo ride - Love it! I feel like I picked up a couple of MPH instantly. However, the long ride made me realize I could use a new bike helmet. I'm currently sporting a $20 Amazon special but with the aggressive geometry of the new bike, it felt really heavy. I'm sure my neck muscles will adapt, but I feel like I could do better than my current helmet. I'm hoping the pod could recommend a helmet. Priority would be light, breathable, and comfortable on a long ride. Budget is around $75 (perhaps a little more if there is something clearly superior near this price point). I should note that I'm not in the market for an aero helmet. I feel like those, while cool, imply a level of competitiveness I'm not at right now, so I'd prefer a traditional-style helmet. Anyone have a helmet they love?

I have a Giro Air Attack, which I like.  You could prob find one used, or even new, for a good price.  I like helmets without a tail, because they're good in all conditions, windy or not.

2017-03-26 12:49 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by awm007 Good luck in the Splash n Dash, Tom. Heal up Chris and Robin! Hope everyone else is getting some good training in this weekend. I took my new bike out on my first long solo ride - Love it! I feel like I picked up a couple of MPH instantly. However, the long ride made me realize I could use a new bike helmet. I'm currently sporting a $20 Amazon special but with the aggressive geometry of the new bike, it felt really heavy. I'm sure my neck muscles will adapt, but I feel like I could do better than my current helmet. I'm hoping the pod could recommend a helmet. Priority would be light, breathable, and comfortable on a long ride. Budget is around $75 (perhaps a little more if there is something clearly superior near this price point). I should note that I'm not in the market for an aero helmet. I feel like those, while cool, imply a level of competitiveness I'm not at right now, so I'd prefer a traditional-style helmet. Anyone have a helmet they love?

I have a Giro Air Attack, which I like.  You could prob find one used, or even new, for a good price.  I like helmets without a tail, because they're good in all conditions, windy or not.

Just be careful with some of the thoughts in there as some things can be overinflated and also venture close to straw man territory. Some of these no tail helmets can be rather terrible for gains, barely faster than normal road helmets (overinflation). Some might not be any. And do know that the long tail aero helmets have been becoming less prevalent in the last few years (straw man). There are some, but the shorter tail ones are much more common. It's these ones that I see as being better all around. Some of the no tail might not be able to beat them in any conditions and for the ones that can it's going to be only in very heavy crosswinds. In moderate and better conditions the short tails can be significantly faster (within the gains a helmet can provide). I also tend to think of having both training and racing helmets though.

Do be careful of a used helmet. Damage to them can be rather deceptive. It might not show at all except under very careful inspection. They get one hit and then they're done. That area absorbed the blow and it doesn't retake shape like others might (say football). Older ones can have a lesser ability to absorb that blow as well.

2017-03-26 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I think I will keep mine. Your wife would probably be surprised at a stranger bedside. But best wishes for her that she recovers well and no further surgeries are needed!

Surprisingly she would probably welcome you. You are right in her wheelhouse, someone who works and lives abroad. She would love you. The only people she finds more interesting is people who were born in another country and immigrate here.

I'm in the Giro air attack group. I bought it last year and it is the most comfortable helmet I've. owned.
2017-03-26 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sorry--spring break tirade should be on another thread where people were teasing the teachers about it. But the offer still stands!

Don't be sorry!  I agree, you'll want to back to work to rest after all that!  What did you decided to do about Word's in Chattanooga?  Are you doing that or heading to China?

2017-03-26 4:08 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

If it were me, I'd got to Inside-Out and Performance and try some on. 

I concur with Ben, do not get a used helmet unless you know the person it came from.

2017-03-26 7:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by brigby1

Just be careful with some of the thoughts in there as some things can be overinflated and also venture close to straw man territory. Some of these no tail helmets can be rather terrible for gains, barely faster than normal road helmets (overinflation). Some might not be any. And do know that the long tail aero helmets have been becoming less prevalent in the last few years (straw man). There are some, but the shorter tail ones are much more common. It's these ones that I see as being better all around. Some of the no tail might not be able to beat them in any conditions and for the ones that can it's going to be only in very heavy crosswinds. In moderate and better conditions the short tails can be significantly faster (within the gains a helmet can provide). I also tend to think of having both training and racing helmets though.

Do be careful of a used helmet. Damage to them can be rather deceptive. It might not show at all except under very careful inspection. They get one hit and then they're done. That area absorbed the blow and it doesn't retake shape like others might (say football). Older ones can have a lesser ability to absorb that blow as well.

There are pics of Starky in an Air Attack at Kona.  Figure he knows what he's doing.  No tails also don't look weird if you use them for a training ride sometime.

Also, I would buy I used helmet.  Of course, I tend to take a more trusting view of people if they say something they have is ok. But non-current generation gear is always cheaper than current generation.  So new is still an option on a budget.

2017-03-26 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

There are pics of Starky in an Air Attack at Kona.  Figure he knows what he's doing.  No tails also don't look weird if you use them for a training ride sometime.

Also, I would buy I used helmet.  Of course, I tend to take a more trusting view of people if they say something they have is ok. But non-current generation gear is always cheaper than current generation.  So new is still an option on a budget.

Though, to be true, I'm less likely to buy a sweaty used helmet than a used GPS watch! >.< Ewwww

2017-03-26 8:35 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I did enter Worlds. Couple of factors--#1, I didn't have to qualify. My best chance for that would have been at IM Vietnam, and I really don't like that race (conditions are too extreme); plus with being sick most of February I would have been really under-prepared. #2 Will be honest--Trump's election (which I think throws a wrench into a lot of established diplomacy), as well as the continuing political issues between the US and China, and Vietnam and China. Just worried that something will happen with visas (for example, if the US tightens up visas for Chinese, China will respond with for tat) all the way on up to major conflict between two of those countries breaking out while I'm there and jeopardising my safety.

At best it was a tough situation and very tight time frame for me to get the visa in the US (all but impossible from here). Having a family move on top of that makes it even worse. Travel to/from US early in our school year is very far from ideal, but at least it's my own country, I have permission to get leave for it, and it's a situation I can plan for. Doesn't seem too likely that something political and out of my control would keep me from traveling to the race and getting to the start line. For that long and important an event, that matters a lot.

Plus, of course, unfinished business from last year!
2017-03-26 9:33 PM

Master
Northern IL

I love following Starky for some things, but he's one to really be careful with in what you take away. His thoughts and choices can get a bit out there. Frederick Van Lierde may have been a better example as he did win there, whereas Starky has blown up in spectacular fashion when he's been able to qualify. Although do remember that this is Kona, probably a definitive "heavy crosswinds" course if there ever was one. 

It's fine if you want to go used, just really make sure to understand the situation. Earlier it sounded like buying other equipment, but it's not. My brother and I would trust each other on that because we both know the other understands this. But less likely our sister would. That doesn't mean ill intent on her part, but more lack of understanding with regards to the concept. She might not get it in the first place, might forget about something that did happen, or not see something on it. My helmet from the fall that shattered my collarbone actually looked pretty good at first, just some scratches that could be from tossing it on the gravel. But closer inspection showed cracks in a few places. The foam still looked thick and the molded shell covering held things in place. But with the way it works the foam doesn't pop like bubblewrap or flatten out substantially like some other materials might. It might not offer much more protection than a hat at that point.

Previous generation stuff tends to be pretty good value in a lot of things. Helmets pretty much meet a safety standard or don't so with that it's all good with the information we have available. There isn't really a rating in regards to safety, but pass/fail.

2017-03-27 9:32 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

I love following Starky for some things, but he's one to really be careful with in what you take away. His thoughts and choices can get a bit out there. Frederick Van Lierde may have been a better example as he did win there, whereas Starky has blown up in spectacular fashion when he's been able to qualify. Although do remember that this is Kona, probably a definitive "heavy crosswinds" course if there ever was one. 

It's fine if you want to go used, just really make sure to understand the situation. Earlier it sounded like buying other equipment, but it's not. My brother and I would trust each other on that because we both know the other understands this. But less likely our sister would. That doesn't mean ill intent on her part, but more lack of understanding with regards to the concept. She might not get it in the first place, might forget about something that did happen, or not see something on it. My helmet from the fall that shattered my collarbone actually looked pretty good at first, just some scratches that could be from tossing it on the gravel. But closer inspection showed cracks in a few places. The foam still looked thick and the molded shell covering held things in place. But with the way it works the foam doesn't pop like bubblewrap or flatten out substantially like some other materials might. It might not offer much more protection than a hat at that point.

Previous generation stuff tends to be pretty good value in a lot of things. Helmets pretty much meet a safety standard or don't so with that it's all good with the information we have available. There isn't really a rating in regards to safety, but pass/fail.

Just a quick note to say thank you to all who provided input on helmets. I think I'll start by heading to my local Tri shop and trying on a few. Presuming others sweat like I do, I'm definitely looking for new rather than used A previous year's model on a big sale would be perfect. Again, thanks to everyone for sharing. I'll keep my eye out for the models mentioned.
2017-03-27 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I did enter Worlds. Couple of factors--#1, I didn't have to qualify. My best chance for that would have been at IM Vietnam, and I really don't like that race (conditions are too extreme); plus with being sick most of February I would have been really under-prepared. #2 Will be honest--Trump's election (which I think throws a wrench into a lot of established diplomacy), as well as the continuing political issues between the US and China, and Vietnam and China. Just worried that something will happen with visas (for example, if the US tightens up visas for Chinese, China will respond with for tat) all the way on up to major conflict between two of those countries breaking out while I'm there and jeopardising my safety. At best it was a tough situation and very tight time frame for me to get the visa in the US (all but impossible from here). Having a family move on top of that makes it even worse. Travel to/from US early in our school year is very far from ideal, but at least it's my own country, I have permission to get leave for it, and it's a situation I can plan for. Doesn't seem too likely that something political and out of my control would keep me from traveling to the race and getting to the start line. For that long and important an event, that matters a lot. Plus, of course, unfinished business from last year!

Oh, that makes perfect sense.  You put in too much time/money/effort to be unsure of even being allowed to travel to the event!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102