BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-04-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok Manatees I need some advice again please. K is scheduled to have surgery in 12 weeks time. The Dr has very very strongly suggested that she lose at least 10kg (22lb) between now and then. Something which I think is doable for her as she is probably about 45kg overweight at present. I really want to support her in this and I need to lose about 10kg too so I suggested to her that we tackle it together. We are currently training for our first marathon so running on average 5 times a week (doing around 42k at present) its slow but we are doing it. Step one for both of us is a major tidy up of our diets cause we both eat a lot of crap. But I'm also thinking that we would both benefit from some type of strength training, not necessarily weights but body weight type exercises. This is new for me so I would love to know your thoughts and hear any suggestions that you might have.

Body weight exercises sound like a good plan and good on you for continuing to help K with her fitness and weight goals.  Keep in mind that if she's already carrying extra weight, some body weight exercises such as planks might be easier for her to execute in a modified manner, such as on elbows instead of hands or on her knees instead of toes. Squats and step-ups as others mentioned sound good.  Mountain climbers, burpees (evil!), walking lunges, wall sits, push-ups (again, modify if needed), Supermans and variations of it, donkey kicks are all good.  Core stuff, too, like bicycle crunches or Russian twists with a medicine ball or weight are some of my faves. Shoulder bridges, too, maybe.  I pulled my favorites out of this article  http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere

Best of luck to you both!

I can not disagree with any of this, however, do not underestimate the value of eating right (says the guy that eats ALL wrong).  You mentioned Step One above. When I need to lose, I find the best results for me happen when I am adjusting the diet. Easy to say, but not so easy for me to do. I think I read somewhere that you can't out exercise a bad diet, and is that ever true for me.

Good luck!!!

I agree that any good weight loss plan starts with the diet!  I find that I need to use the myfitnesspal app to track my food to make sure I'm not taking in more calories than I think!  It seems I (everyone?) always under estimate calories consumed and over estimate calories expended, so entering each meal/snack really helps keep me honest.  

i also find it helpful to use on of those calculators that tell you how many calories you need to consume -based upon your activity level and current weight - to lose x amount of weight per week. 

I use BT when I am being careful for this. It isn't too accurate, but it keeps me honest.

I'm beginning to sense a theme resonating for me as well 

It's kind of rare for people to NOT have the estimating tendencies Hands listed.

2017-04-19 2:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Chiming in on the weight loss discussion. It's so hard! But like others, I've found an app like my fitness pal really helps. The game changer for me, though, was to buy a fairly inexpensive digital food scale. So instead of eyeballing 6 oz of chicken or 100 grams of cereal, I know EXACTLY how much that is. I didn't go overboard and weigh things like eggs or pre-packaged-one-serving foods (all though folks will tell you that you should, since government requirements allow something like a 20% discrepancy on food labels) - but did weigh everything else within reason. HUGE eye opener. 

I also took whatever MFP estimated for my calorie burn (for runs or walks or what not) and cut it at least in half.

Edited by lisac957 2017-04-19 2:17 PM
2017-04-19 8:25 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
As for the diet and strength training discussion. I am a strong proponent for my should be copy written "Don't eat like a Pig" diet. It worked for me. Eat your normal foods, cut the volume. ie 1 piece of chicken instead of half of a chicken.
Strength training is a good Idea meaning some sort of resistance training, free weights, weight machine, body weight, resistance whichever you prefer. Especially as you age this become important and it is directly related to weight gain. As you age, you lose muscle and you lose muscle your metabolism slows. that can be reversed by gaining muscle through some sort or strength training.

Speaking of aging, I got new bike shoes for my birthday. I am going to have some funky tan lines on my feet, unless I bite the bullet and spend extra time at the beach this year.

(IMG_0072 (1).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0072 (1).JPG (35KB - 6 downloads)
2017-04-20 5:12 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Very cool shoes. My first bike shoes (and the ones I still use with my road bike pedals) were those silver-colored Sidis! Polka-dot feet would be kinda cool.

You could just wear socks; then you would have typical triathlete tan lines--three different shading variants (or, for the melanin-challenged, burn variants) marking the end of swimsuit, running shorts, and bike/tri shorts, plus lighter feet. I have very tan-able skin (very light olive until it sees sunshine, and then browns quickly) and that effect ends up looking like some kind of multi-level Starbucks creation with milk, caramel syrup, and coffee, plus vanilla feet.

2017-04-20 11:01 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Katy, Texas
On the weight loss topic, I've found that you can out exercise your appetite but it takes a ridiculous amount of running to do it. 50+mpw. So your best bet is to try and eat things that will not make you hungry. Only eat high carb foods directly after working out. Eat high protein diet.

On another note, I finally wrote up a race report for Galveston. Sorry it's long winded!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2017-04-20 11:58 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Just popping in to touch base with y'all. After a few false starts with anything resembling a fitness streak, I've decided to concentrate on my limiters. These being the ~500 half finished jobs I have laying around the house and the 100 or so that have yet to be started. Hopefully I'll get back in the swing of things by Fall/Autumn.

2017-04-20 2:33 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Just popping in to touch base with y'all. After a few false starts with anything resembling a fitness streak, I've decided to concentrate on my limiters. These being the ~500 half finished jobs I have laying around the house and the 100 or so that have yet to be started. Hopefully I'll get back in the swing of things by Fall/Autumn.

I also recently moved and have a baby due any minute now (due date is 4/28) so I know the feeling! There's a local tri 5/7 I'd really like to do but I'm holding off on registering / telling my wife until the baby comes. I'm not sure how well that would go over right now .

On the cycling shoe front, I also got myself a new pair as my heel decided to fall off on my Fizik's. They were only about 4 years old but clearly I was pushing too many watts and popped the heel! Anyhow, I first bought a pair of the Shimano TR9's but they were too narrow and my pinkie toe would get numb after about 10 miles which was no fun. I returned those and bought the Pearl Izumi Tri Fly Elite and so far I love them. I haven't taken them out on the road yet but they feel great on my trainer.
2017-04-20 3:15 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Melanie - great news from the sports doc!

Stacey - I have no specific advice for you. I agree 100% with what others have said, you are a great friend! And what Chris said, you can’t out exercise a bad diet.

Jim - love the shoes!

Darren - I’m looking forward to seeing more of you around here!

2017-04-20 10:10 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Jet Black

On the weight loss topic, I've found that you can out exercise your appetite but it takes a ridiculous amount of running to do it. 50+mpw. So your best bet is to try and eat things that will not make you hungry. Only eat high carb foods directly after working out. Eat high protein diet.

On another note, I finally wrote up a race report for Galveston. Sorry it's long winded!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Congratulations! Good report.
2017-04-20 10:14 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmkizer

Melanie - great news from the sports doc!

Stacey - I have no specific advice for you. I agree 100% with what others have said, you are a great friend! And what Chris said, you can’t out exercise a bad diet.

Jim - love the shoes!

Darren - I’m looking forward to seeing more of you around here!

Thanks. I have a little peacock in me.

I just can't bring myself to wear socks, unless its cold. I think I will go with the more time at the beach plan. I really like the feel of the shoes, compared to my old pair, but that is with just one trainer ride.
2017-04-21 7:39 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Very cool shoes. My first bike shoes (and the ones I still use with my road bike pedals) were those silver-colored Sidis! Polka-dot feet would be kinda cool.

You could just wear socks; then you would have typical triathlete tan lines--three different shading variants (or, for the melanin-challenged, burn variants) marking the end of swimsuit, running shorts, and bike/tri shorts, plus lighter feet. I have very tan-able skin (very light olive until it sees sunshine, and then browns quickly) and that effect ends up looking like some kind of multi-level Starbucks creation with milk, caramel syrup, and coffee, plus vanilla feet.

I don't tan easily at all. I go red then white again, but at the end of summer I always have a tan line on my feet where my thongs (flip flops) go.

2017-04-21 9:37 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Actually just realized that I only have vanilla feet when living in a temperate climate. In Saigon, I almost always wear Tevas or similar except for running, and the occasional outdoor ride (when I do wear socks), so actually I have coffee-colored feet with a few vanilla stripes where the straps are. What amazes me is how dark I get despite the fact that I really avoid the sun--not just for skin cancer prevention and the like. I hate being out in the tropical sunlight as it's really draining, and in Vietnam I do probably 95% of my riding inside on the trainer, 95% of my swimming inside at my workplace, and all but my weekend long runs finish up by 6:20 AM. Yet I am approximately triple-shot latte-shaded. It was a joke when I lived in Hawaii--there was this kind of spray-on tan called "Maui Girl", and that became my nickname--people were convinced I sprayed it on, because I tanned so fast without even really "laying out".. Apparently all I need to do is think about sun or walk to the grocery store (5 minutes away and back) and I tan.
2017-04-21 9:40 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I thought of this conversation about tanning yesterday and chuckled. I was in an elevator and looked down at my feet in open top shoes realizing they are very white. I guess whenever I'm outside I'm wearing run or bike shoes. I need to work on a foot tan. I wonder if I can put just my feet in the tanning beds at the gym

Speaking of the gym... training in Cali is going well, with the exception of being flat flat flat.  The gym is super convenient for swims, yoga and an occasional spin when I can't get outside on my bike. There is a great river walk for riding and running, though I am ever in search of new scenery.

I met with Coach Scott before I left NM (going on three weeks now) but have yet to receive a training plan or even a payment invoice. I've been using the early weeks of the BT IM plan. I like the rhythm of that plan and I'm tempted to just stay there.  I could reach out to Scott and say what's up but I feel like this is his move. He did send me his athlete questionnaire after I got here. I filled it out and returned it.  

Work is interesting, and different. We are sitting in FBI space which means we are subject to their hours (later than I prefer) and their chatter. I'm accustomed to being in a two person office so the busy-ness is a change. They are really nice guys and it's fun to help with their case load. The last couple days have been a bit challenging as I'm trying to update my report on my own NM case.

I am loving the no commute time (10 min compared to my normal 45) and plenty of training time. My body doesn't seem to want to adjust to the time change so I'm up early every morning ready to swim or run.

Just heard on the news that the Florida Manatee has been upgraded from endangered to threatened.

2017-04-21 10:25 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

I thought of this conversation about tanning yesterday and chuckled. I was in an elevator and looked down at my feet in open top shoes realizing they are very white. I guess whenever I'm outside I'm wearing run or bike shoes. I need to work on a foot tan. I wonder if I can put just my feet in the tanning beds at the gym

Speaking of the gym... training in Cali is going well, with the exception of being flat flat flat.  The gym is super convenient for swims, yoga and an occasional spin when I can't get outside on my bike. There is a great river walk for riding and running, though I am ever in search of new scenery.

I met with Coach Scott before I left NM (going on three weeks now) but have yet to receive a training plan or even a payment invoice. I've been using the early weeks of the BT IM plan. I like the rhythm of that plan and I'm tempted to just stay there.  I could reach out to Scott and say what's up but I feel like this is his move. He did send me his athlete questionnaire after I got here. I filled it out and returned it.  

Work is interesting, and different. We are sitting in FBI space which means we are subject to their hours (later than I prefer) and their chatter. I'm accustomed to being in a two person office so the busy-ness is a change. They are really nice guys and it's fun to help with their case load. The last couple days have been a bit challenging as I'm trying to update my report on my own NM case.

I am loving the no commute time (10 min compared to my normal 45) and plenty of training time. My body doesn't seem to want to adjust to the time change so I'm up early every morning ready to swim or run.

Just heard on the news that the Florida Manatee has been upgraded from endangered to threatened.

Tanning, what is that?!  Despite living in Florida I am very white - I'm not a tanner to begin with, but my early morning still dark runs don't get me tan!  I may add a little bit of color this year as I will be out longer on the bike and swim outdoors. Still, most people would not peg me as a Floridian!

I'm glad you are enjoying your temporary posting - other than the lack of hills and extra noise!  

That's weird about your coach ignoring you.  Guess he's not too interested in his business!!

2017-04-21 10:38 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Tanning, what is that?!  Despite living in Florida I am very white - I'm not a tanner to begin with, but my early morning still dark runs don't get me tan!  I may add a little bit of color this year as I will be out longer on the bike and swim outdoors. Still, most people would not peg me as a Floridian!

I'm glad you are enjoying your temporary posting - other than the lack of hills and extra noise!  

That's weird about your coach ignoring you.  Guess he's not too interested in his business!!

In his defense, he quoted me a lower than normal monthly fee as he and I both understand he is somewhat pre-occupied with rehabbing his daughter. She was in a serious motorcycle accident about 8 months ago and just got to go home at the end of February. So they are adjusting to that life. But still. I at least need a plan!

Now off to my (delayed) start at the office

2017-04-21 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for the update, TJ! I was wondering how things we going for you.  It's great that you found a gym to use as a home base.  I think that between the BT plan and Coach Scott, you'll have things covered.  Take care!

Edited by jmkizer 2017-04-21 11:53 AM

2017-04-21 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

In his defense, he quoted me a lower than normal monthly fee as he and I both understand he is somewhat pre-occupied with rehabbing his daughter. She was in a serious motorcycle accident about 8 months ago and just got to go home at the end of February. So they are adjusting to that life. But still. I at least need a plan!

Oh no!

2017-04-21 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

April 22-23
Anne - Tour of Hermann Gravel Race, Hermann, MO on Saturday and Sunday
Adam - White Lake International on Saturday
Karen - Singapore Sprint Tri on Sunday
McMatt - CapTex 10k on Sunday
Tom A - VAES Run for the Fund 5k on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Jen - pregnancy - due date April 26

Jim's birthday is TODAY!  Happy birthday, Jim!

2017-04-21 12:20 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

April 22-23

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List

Good luck to all racing manatees, it's fun to see the list growing longer as racing season picks up here in the states.

Jen - good luck with the little one!

Jim - happy birthday!

2017-04-21 12:23 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm glad to hear California has been overall good to you, too bad you aren't in a hillier area to better suit your usual training.  It's great you are hitting it off with your 'new' co-workers, too, a big plus.  I love seeing the pictures from your runs on Strava!  Well, not just your pictures but any time any manatee shares a little bit of their surroundings, it's always fun to see where people run, ride and swim.

GREAT news on Florida Manatees! (the real ones, not Chris and Ann-Marie)  

2017-04-21 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Oh no!

yeah, that's a pretty good excuse!

2017-04-21 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

April 22-23

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List

Wow, look at all the racers!  Go Manatees Go!

Happy bday Jim!

You're almost there Jen!!

2017-04-21 2:09 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois

Racing Manatees!!!

April 22-23

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List

Good Luck Racers!!! Can I get April 30th in the Baby pool, that date has worked great for me!!!
2017-04-21 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

April 22-23

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List

Go all you racing Manatees and good luck Jen I hope everything goes great.
2017-04-22 7:53 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Has anyone used Glimmer Gear products before? If so I would love to hear your feedback.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102