BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-04-22 8:40 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

April 22-23
Anne - Tour of Hermann Gravel Race, Hermann, MO on Saturday and Sunday
Adam - White Lake International on Saturday
Karen - Singapore Sprint Tri on Sunday
McMatt - CapTex 10k on Sunday
Tom A - VAES Run for the Fund 5k on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Jen - pregnancy - due date April 26

Jim's birthday is TODAY!  Happy birthday, Jim!

Good luck racers! Have great races!

Happy Birthday Jim and hope it all goes well Jen!

2017-04-22 8:53 AM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

April 22-23
Anne - Tour of Hermann Gravel Race, Hermann, MO on Saturday and Sunday
Adam - White Lake International on Saturday
Karen - Singapore Sprint Tri on Sunday
McMatt - CapTex 10k on Sunday
Tom A - VAES Run for the Fund 5k on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Jen - pregnancy - due date April 26

Jim's birthday is TODAY!  Happy birthday, Jim!

Good Luck racers.

Thanks for the Birthday well wishes. I was hoping Jen would have given birth yesterday.
2017-04-22 10:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I did a Bike threshold test today. My FTP is up +16 and heart rate dropped -6. I am happy with my progress over the winter. I just need to keep it up, six months until Louisville. Not that I'm counting haha.

Edited by JBacarella 2017-04-22 10:59 AM
2017-04-23 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats on the FTP test. Mine was down 17 from last fall when I last tested in January. Will probably spend all year trying to gain back the fitness I lost.

Interesting race today. On the plus side, it was the first time in my life that I have led my AG on the bike, or (I think) been in the top 6 overall on the bike leg (and this is a pretty big race with a couple hundred women). On the minus, I had a horrid run and lost the AG lead with about 1.2 km to go. . (Ninth overall, second in AG by about 45 seconds.) Arrrgh! Maybe I over-biked it. Got off and simply couldn't go. I kept telling myself to just keep moving and my run legs would come back to me, only they never did, at least before the finish line. Ugh!

Race report later this week. Started on it but laundry is more urgent right now...Everything has been sitting on a plane in a closed bag, plus transition was a mud bath--don't even want to open up the bag!

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-04-23 7:48 AM
2017-04-23 1:14 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Happy belated birthday Jim.Karen, I wouldn't kick yourself about that too much. You were still 2nd The only way i'd get 2nd in my age group would be to enter a race with one other *athlete.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2017-04-23 1:15 PM
2017-04-23 5:49 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Expert
Karen- Good job on your race, I'm looking forward to the race report.

2017-04-24 7:49 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Congrats on the FTP test. Mine was down 17 from last fall when I last tested in January. Will probably spend all year trying to gain back the fitness I lost. Interesting race today. On the plus side, it was the first time in my life that I have led my AG on the bike, or (I think) been in the top 6 overall on the bike leg (and this is a pretty big race with a couple hundred women). On the minus, I had a horrid run and lost the AG lead with about 1.2 km to go. . (Ninth overall, second in AG by about 45 seconds.) Arrrgh! Maybe I over-biked it. Got off and simply couldn't go. I kept telling myself to just keep moving and my run legs would come back to me, only they never did, at least before the finish line. Ugh! Race report later this week. Started on it but laundry is more urgent right now...Everything has been sitting on a plane in a closed bag, plus transition was a mud bath--don't even want to open up the bag!

It sounds like a good race to me!!! Way to go.

2017-04-24 8:58 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Karen- Good job on your race, I'm looking forward to the race report.

Agreed!  

2017-04-24 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Congrats on the FTP test. Mine was down 17 from last fall when I last tested in January. Will probably spend all year trying to gain back the fitness I lost. Interesting race today. On the plus side, it was the first time in my life that I have led my AG on the bike, or (I think) been in the top 6 overall on the bike leg (and this is a pretty big race with a couple hundred women). On the minus, I had a horrid run and lost the AG lead with about 1.2 km to go. . (Ninth overall, second in AG by about 45 seconds.) Arrrgh! Maybe I over-biked it. Got off and simply couldn't go. I kept telling myself to just keep moving and my run legs would come back to me, only they never did, at least before the finish line. Ugh! Race report later this week. Started on it but laundry is more urgent right now...Everything has been sitting on a plane in a closed bag, plus transition was a mud bath--don't even want to open up the bag!

Good race! You'll get 'er next time :-D

2017-04-24 9:10 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I did a Bike threshold test today. My FTP is up +16 and heart rate dropped -6. I am happy with my progress over the winter. I just need to keep it up, six months until Louisville. Not that I'm counting haha.

Congrats!! I'm trying to ignore that there is "only" 6 months til Louisville

2017-04-24 9:34 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella I did a Bike threshold test today. My FTP is up +16 and heart rate dropped -6. I am happy with my progress over the winter. I just need to keep it up, six months until Louisville. Not that I'm counting haha.

Nice!!

2017-04-24 9:37 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Still a very impressive race and finish!  Enclosed wet, muddy, sweaty race gear = mega stink, good luck!

2017-04-24 10:31 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Happy Monday everyone! Congrats on the racers / FTP increase. Do any of you pay for Strava premium and if so, why? I get more data than I know what to do with through Garmin for free so I can't understand why I'd pay for a service just to tell me what I already know.
2017-04-24 10:42 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook Happy Monday everyone! Congrats on the racers / FTP increase. Do any of you pay for Strava premium and if so, why? I get more data than I know what to do with through Garmin for free so I can't understand why I'd pay for a service just to tell me what I already know.

Have you looked at the Chrome browser extension StravistiX?

http://thomaschampagne.github.io/stravistix/

2017-04-24 11:06 AM

User image

Originally posted by TXTriRook Happy Monday everyone! Congrats on the racers / FTP increase. Do any of you pay for Strava premium and if so, why? I get more data than I know what to do with through Garmin for free so I can't understand why I'd pay for a service just to tell me what I already know.

Didn't know about this, thank you. Just came across this funny Strava article for anyone interested.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/nine-things-you-wishe...
2017-04-24 12:07 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Didn't know about this, thank you. Just came across this funny Strava article for anyone interested. http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/nine-things-you-wishe... signed up for it a while back to get two months free Zwift. I never cancelled it afterward. My card I used has just expired so my premium membership has now lapsed and I won't be renewing my membership, unless they bring out some other benefits in the future that would be useful. I can get by with the data the premium membership offers.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2017-04-24 1:47 PM

2017-04-25 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Didn't know about this, thank you. Just came across this funny Strava article for anyone interested. http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/nine-things-you-wishe...

Heh! That is a good one. Though, I am not a Strava user.

2017-04-25 2:58 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Sticking with the theme of tri/workout related links, I came across this one today. I've been a fan of his products for a while so good to see him gearing up for an Ironman. I wonder what he's racing and I'm curious to see how he does and how his body morphs from extreme strength to leaning out.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-man-of-iron-trainer.htm...

2017-04-26 7:29 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ceilidh

Didn't know about this, thank you. Just came across this funny Strava article for anyone interested. http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/nine-things-you-wishe...

Heh! That is a good one. Though, I am not a Strava user.

Is the funny part how they try to pass off km/hr as an actual unit? Mostly just nodding along in agreement here.

2017-04-26 7:40 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook Sticking with the theme of tri/workout related links, I came across this one today. I've been a fan of his products for a while so good to see him gearing up for an Ironman. I wonder what he's racing and I'm curious to see how he does and how his body morphs from extreme strength to leaning out. https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-man-of-iron-trainer.htm...

These can be fun to watch, but tend to have that hold-my-breath feeling as to what may be taken away from something like this. I'm not sure most people take 2 years to get there. Maybe, but think it's more to having to sign up a full year in advance as opposed to training that long. Loads of threads just here on starting the IM build in 8 months or less. For someone who's already quite active, 6 months isn't necessarily truncating things. And on one hand I know it's for dramatic effect in a video, but on another I'm still asking why he's out of breath so much when the bulk of training is at a pretty easy effort.

He is a pretty big guy, so hoping he only ends up leaning out a little over that time period, mostly so others don't get unrealistic expectations. Especially since it sounds like he'll keep up a good deal of strength work too.

2017-04-26 12:58 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Congrats Jim on the FTP bumb! That always feels great!

And congrats Karen on a great race! I'm always about pushing the limits in a race, you learn way more about yourself that way. Good job!

2017-04-26 7:39 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ugh...I'm just glad this happened in a sprint race and not a HIM! At least 22 minutes is a short death march! Really thought I was going to have that kind of issue at Calgary last year when I got off the bike, but I was able to get the kinks out by about 4 or 5K. For a sprint, that just doesn't work!
2017-04-27 11:17 AM

User image

Chicago, Illinois
On this slow Thursday, I just wanted to post that I got a new (to me) bike this year. I always said I was too slow to have a dedicated tri bike, but I got a deal that I could not pass up. I have only ridden it a couple of times, but can't wait to use it in my first race of the year this weekend.

Edited by emcmino 2017-04-27 11:26 AM

(Shiv.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Shiv.jpg (65KB - 5 downloads)
2017-04-27 11:22 AM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by emcmino I just wanted to post that I got a new bike this year. I always said I was too slow to have a dedicated tri bike, but I got a deal that I could not pass up. I have only ridden it a couple of times, but can't wait to use it in my first race of the year this weekend.

Beautiful!

2017-04-27 11:44 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black Congrats Jim on the FTP bumb! That always feels great! And congrats Karen on a great race! I'm always about pushing the limits in a race, you learn way more about yourself that way. Good job!

Did you see all the commotion over on ST about Jordan Rapp being sued by Dimond? He left them because he felt the bikes were unsafe, so curious how other Dimond owners are feeling with this development.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102