BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-05-12 5:47 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by TXTriRook Did anyone get the new 735XT? I have the 920XT and I love everything about it except for the HR strap. No matter how tight I make it, when I sweat it always seems to slip and I feel like I'm wearing a bra without the shoulder straps. For the record I've never worn or tried on a bra but for now it's the best analogy I can come up with . I definitely don't have plans to spend $500+ just for an inconvenience but I'd be interested to hear thoughts/opinions if any of you have taken the plunge.

I've had to switch to a different HR monitor.  Certain compounds/plastics cause my skin to react in a not nice way.  Fitbit - wear it a day have a rash for a week.  Ditto with the Garmin chest strap (and unfortunately the cheapie Janyne recommended - it has a material on it that bugs my skin, too).  No, it's not because it's dirty.  I've fully washed and sanitized the Fitbit and the strap many times over with no result.  It's only the plastic part that causes the rash, the fabric part is fine.

I now use a Scosche optical HR monitor on my inner upper arm that has a cloth strap and no plastic, so far so good.  DC Rainmaker gave it high regards with respect to accuracy and from what I've experienced so far I agree.  Granted I have very European skin (burn easy, not a lot of hair) so that may be helping the results.  I have a 920XT and love it although the new 935 looks like a nice upgrade!

Imma hafta look in to the Scosche...

2017-05-13 6:41 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jmkizerGood point about Ray's skin tone. He does mention that in most/all of his optical HR stuff - pale, hairless folks will have the best results
This is probably why it works ok for me, I have very pale (almost translucent skin) and not much hair on my arms. Also to be honest I don't pay that much attention to my HR, never really have and don't think that I ever really will and I am more of a steady state kind of person rather than intervals and the like. The only real reason that I got a new watch was because my old Timex Ironman died and I wanted something that I could use for everything including races and that had GPS.

sounds like if I wanted to train by HR, I would have no trouble with an optical monitor! You'd never know I lived in Florida!! But, I don't ; so it's a moot point regarding being a "steady state" person, there is nothing inherently wrong with it, but you will see much greater improvement if you get out of that gray zone from time to time! Try to do a run a week that has some accelerations or pick ups, push yourself. Start easy, but as you gain more fitness the accelerations can be faster and longer. There are other things to do to get out of the gray zone, but th is easy and affective.  Again, you don't have to do this, but I think you'll be surprised at your improvement by breaking out a bit!

I do run hills regularly because of where I live, there basically isn't anything flat near me. So I have found that when I drive down to flatland I am generally around 30seconds per km faster than I am at home (unless I'm running with K).
2017-05-13 6:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

May 13-14
Chris - Holly Morgan Fisher Memorial 5k XC run on Sunday
Tom A - Coffman Sprint Tri on Sunday

Disabled List

Tom S. and Markus are continuing their recovery.

May 16 is Yanti's birthday
May 17 is Dave L's birthday

Go Chris and Tom.
Get better Tom and Markus
And Happy Birthday Yanti and Dave
2017-05-14 6:03 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by DaveL I almost feel guilty checking in, I am on here so infrequently. My schedule is interesting now as I am settling in to working 12hr shifts. I am happy to be able to take advantage of the onsite gym so I can still at least get in a quick run over "lunch" which can be at 12am or 12pm. I also have a few more days off but the new house projects and taking care of some neglected maintenance keeps me busy too. Otherwise things are good, runs along the beach trail, offroad trails for MTB or running less than 5min away and a 10minute walk to the lake should be good for swimming once it warms up.

Ah, that explains all the midnight runs I see on Strava!  New houses, old houses, they all require time and attention.  The beach trail sounds very nice!

2017-05-14 6:06 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by TXTriRook Did anyone get the new 735XT? I have the 920XT and I love everything about it except for the HR strap. No matter how tight I make it, when I sweat it always seems to slip and I feel like I'm wearing a bra without the shoulder straps. For the record I've never worn or tried on a bra but for now it's the best analogy I can come up with . I definitely don't have plans to spend $500+ just for an inconvenience but I'd be interested to hear thoughts/opinions if any of you have taken the plunge.

I've had to switch to a different HR monitor.  Certain compounds/plastics cause my skin to react in a not nice way.  Fitbit - wear it a day have a rash for a week.  Ditto with the Garmin chest strap (and unfortunately the cheapie Janyne recommended - it has a material on it that bugs my skin, too).  No, it's not because it's dirty.  I've fully washed and sanitized the Fitbit and the strap many times over with no result.  It's only the plastic part that causes the rash, the fabric part is fine.

I now use a Scosche optical HR monitor on my inner upper arm that has a cloth strap and no plastic, so far so good.  DC Rainmaker gave it high regards with respect to accuracy and from what I've experienced so far I agree.  Granted I have very European skin (burn easy, not a lot of hair) so that may be helping the results.  I have a 920XT and love it although the new 935 looks like a nice upgrade!

Imma hafta look in to the Scosche...

The only minor drawback is it can't be worn swimming, so if wearing it in a tri it would need to be put on in T1.  Tip: don't buy the cheap, knockoff Chinese replacement straps, they are like wearing sandpaper.  I didn't last 5 minutes, probably not even 3 minutes.  Lesson learned, at least it was a cheap lesson!  I bought 2 extra so I could rotate them while one was drying after being washed.

2017-05-14 8:22 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Proof of life post. My wife had her follow up at Cleveland Clinic last week, she is healing as she should. The we flew to New Orleans, daughter #1 was accepted into Tulane Law school and had decided to attend. We have never been to New Orleans and they had a new student's forum this week. Hopefully training will return to semi-normal this week.

2017-05-15 6:48 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by JBacarella Proof of life post. My wife had her follow up at Cleveland Clinic last week, she is healing as she should. The we flew to New Orleans, daughter #1 was accepted into Tulane Law school and had decided to attend. We have never been to New Orleans and they had a new student's forum this week. Hopefully training will return to semi-normal this week.

Good to see things moving along for you. I hope all continues to move in the right direction.

2017-05-15 10:16 PM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
So last week I bought a pair of PI Pursuit Shorts. I used them for my 3 hour ride and loved them. They have a chamois that is thicker in the center and tapers out on the inner thigh. AND it doesnt have the insane leg elastic. They'll be my new fave.
2017-05-16 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner So last week I bought a pair of PI Pursuit Shorts. I used them for my 3 hour ride and loved them. They have a chamois that is thicker in the center and tapers out on the inner thigh. AND it doesnt have the insane leg elastic. They'll be my new fave.

I may need to buy some shorts, so this is timely. Which version of the pursuit?

2017-05-16 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Speaking of bike shorts, for those of you who have done an IM (or 2 or 3), do you take the time to change into bike shorts in t-1 or do you just bike in the kit you swam in? Thinking if I don't change then I may as well just ride all my training rides in tri shorts, if I change, I'll splurge on bike shorts!

2017-05-16 7:04 AM
in reply to: #5220497

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I splurged on these with the idea that I would change in to bike shorts for Chattanooga. I want to be comfy if I'm doing 116 miles. They are the W P.R.O. Pursuit Short.

2017-05-16 7:17 AM

Master
Northern IL

I've always raced in tri suits. But do what you need to get through the race ok. If tri shorts aren't going to cut it then go to bike shorts. It's a long day and discomfort will become a notable energy drain.

I've also trained in bike shorts. Leading into a race I might check out the race suit a couple times, but otherwise it was training in bike shorts all the time. I'm not sure the tri stuff will last as long.

2017-05-16 7:49 AM

User image

Expert

Speaking of bike shorts, for those of you who have done an IM (or 2 or 3), do you take the time to change into bike shorts in t-1 or do you just bike in the kit you swam in? Thinking if I don't change then I may as well just ride all my training rides in tri shorts, if I change, I'll splurge on bike shorts!

I wore the same tri shorts for all three legs. I put glide on the tender parts after the swim (there is no shame in the changing tent). I also train in tri shorts. I don't like regular bike shorts, because it feels like wearing a diaper. I did put my shirt on after the swim and wore it the rest of the day.

2017-05-16 8:16 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

So, everyone does something different! I've used tri shorts up to about 70 miles and have been fine, but am wondering if the extra 40+ miles would make me less than fine!  I like the smaller profile of the tri short pad, but mainly because of the run.  If i'm changing in t-2 to run shorts the issue is just whether I am comfortable on the bike with all that padding.  Guess I need to experiment - good thing i have lots of miles ahead of me for that  Thanks all!

2017-05-16 10:27 AM

User image

Melon Presser

So, everyone does something different! I've used tri shorts up to about 70 miles and have been fine, but am wondering if the extra 40+ miles would make me less than fine!  I like the smaller profile of the tri short pad, but mainly because of the run.  If i'm changing in t-2 to run shorts the issue is just whether I am comfortable on the bike with all that padding.  Guess I need to experiment - good thing i have lots of miles ahead of me for that  Thanks all!

If you're fine to 70 miles, you're gonna be fine to 112. Wear whatever's most comfy. If tri shorts have been serving you well, they'll be fine. If you fall in love with new bike shorts, those will be fine too

2017-05-16 10:30 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

Thank you everyone for the burfday wishes

I haven't logged on to BT in a while. For some reason this place makes me very sad these days, and for some reason, I feel much more keenly Oscar's loss when I'm here. Don't know why. But Manatees go on migration once in a while, and I'm floating back to the pod now for a while ... I have missed you very much.

2017-05-16 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Depends on air temperature.  B2B was a full change in T1 (dry shorts) and change of top in T2.  Chattanooga and Vineman were same shorts as swim.  Vineman was a wetsuit swim and I had on my bra and tri shorts under the wetsuit and pulled on a bike jersey for the bike and swapped to a tri top for the run.  Chattanooga was not a wetsuit swim.  I wore tri shorts and bra under a swim skin.  I pulled on a tri top in T1 for the duration.

People to all sorts of things and whatever you decide will not be wrong. Some people do a full change to dry bike gear for the bike and running gear for the run.

2017-05-16 11:11 AM

User image

Boulder was non-wetsuit and since my tri top is too big to swim in, I wore my swimsuit. In T1 I changed into my 2xU Long Distance Tri Shorts. They are now their Perform Tri Shorts designed for long distances.

I tried bike shorts, but because of the thicker pad, I felt it changed my bike fit as well as how I sat in the saddle in aero and sitting up.
2017-05-16 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Did any of you see the Tour of California last night? Scary crash :-(  Toms Skujinš went down and was quite disoriented afterwards. The neutral service vehicle let him continue even thought it was pretty clear that this was not a good idea. In fact, he walked into the path of other cyclists before getting onto his bike and he almost hit the curb a few times when he started out. The team car eventually caught up with pulled him from the stage (the team car was not with the breakaway).

ToC Crash

Apparently he "sustained a concussion, a left collarbone fracture."

http://slipstreamsports.com/toms-skujins-amgen-tour-california/

2017-05-16 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Did any of you see the Tour of California last night? Scary crash :-(  Toms Skujinš went down and was quite disoriented afterwards. The neutral service vehicle let him continue even thought it was pretty clear that this was not a good idea. In fact, he walked into the path of other cyclists before getting onto his bike and he almost hit the curb a few times when he started out. The team car eventually caught up with pulled him from the stage (the team car was not with the breakaway).

ToC Crash

Wow, that's scary!!

2017-05-16 11:44 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo Boulder was non-wetsuit and since my tri top is too big to swim in, I wore my swimsuit. In T1 I changed into my 2xU Long Distance Tri Shorts. They are now their Perform Tri Shorts designed for long distances. I tried bike shorts, but because of the thicker pad, I felt it changed my bike fit as well as how I sat in the saddle in aero and sitting up.

Hmm,  I'm having a refitting of my tri bike and will wear tri shorts for the fitting. It will be interesting to see if I can tell a difference when/if i try bike shorts!

2017-05-16 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow, that's scary!!

I saw he went down but I hadn't heard he got pulled. That's a bummer. He went down on that stage last year too.

Speaking of the ATOC, they are 2 hours from me today and I'M NOT THERE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

2017-05-16 1:06 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by fortissimo Boulder was non-wetsuit and since my tri top is too big to swim in, I wore my swimsuit. In T1 I changed into my 2xU Long Distance Tri Shorts. They are now their Perform Tri Shorts designed for long distances. I tried bike shorts, but because of the thicker pad, I felt it changed my bike fit as well as how I sat in the saddle in aero and sitting up.

Hmm,  I'm having a refitting of my tri bike and will wear tri shorts for the fitting. It will be interesting to see if I can tell a difference when/if i try bike shorts!

Could be different for the ladies, but if shorts changed how I sat in the saddle, then I usually didn't think they were worth using. Hopefully a change is for the better due to lack of experience. I was able to ride any of my bikes with any of the shorts.

I did have to drop the saddle a touch once since a thicker gel pad made it the slightest bit too tall (I previously fitted in a thinner pair), but once adjusted for that everything was fine. Didn't touch it again.

I nearly drove a fitter nuts once in detecting more minute changes. He kept wanting more leg extension that I couldn't do. Even on blind adjustments, I could tell him real quick exactly what he moved. Tried it, but always ended up moving things back.

2017-05-17 7:06 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

PSA PSA PSA PSA PSA PSA

Garmin 735XT for $315 for REI's annual sale

25% off Terry bike gear, also during the REI sale.  I use Terry Bella for my road shorts (and DeSoto 400-mile for my tri shorts).

2017-05-17 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi guys just a quick check in cause im away for a conference at present and don't have great internet.

Hope you are all doing well and that your weather is starting to allow you some outdoor training as you gear up for your summer racing.

Great to see you Yanti we need to catch up this time your in Perth and k need to drop the shorts back to you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102