BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-05-17 9:45 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by jmkizer

PSA PSA PSA PSA PSA PSA

Garmin 735XT for $315 for REI's annual sale

25% off Terry bike gear, also during the REI sale.  I use Terry Bella for my road shorts (and DeSoto 400-mile for my tri shorts).

Awesome thanks. I'll have to check that out. I'll be home (and in Denver) then so I'll be able to check it out. There isn't an REI in Bfield.

2017-05-17 5:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Hi! Chris was so kind to invite me to your group. I was once active here at BT a couple years ago. Now making a return to keep myself motivated to maintain my tri fitness while I find the right time and race for a full Ironman. I see a couple familiar faces! Hi, Yanti and Judi!

NAME: Blanda

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: On FB, Blanda, and IG as blanda_5. Blanda on Strava, too.

STORY: Retired Guam soccer player. Found multi sporting about 4/5 years ago and transferred my energies to them. Much kinder on my poor knees. Have done all distances up to half IM.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 20 years to one cool dude, and we have 3 mostly lovely kids. Sometimes they're not so lovely, but still very loved, haha!

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently doing a lot of biking, some running, but mostly strength training with Crossfit. I'd really, really like to like swimming again. I'm not the strongest swimmer and need to work on it, but I can't seem to get myself back in the water.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Was supposed to race Subic Bay 70.3 but I ended up super sick with gut rot the morning of race day, I kid you not. 2am woke up with a raging fever and thought I was going to die while all my fellow Guammies were gone racing. I have an Olympic that I'd like to PR at in July.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I just need to compete in something, anything. I can't just work out to to feel and look good.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I've found most BT folks to be really cool, but seeing Yanti and Judi here makes it feel like a reunion! :D

Edited by Blanda 2017-05-18 1:22 AM
2017-05-18 2:35 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Originally posted by Blanda

Hi! Chris was so kind to invite me to your group. I was once active here at BT a couple years ago. Now making a return to keep myself motivated to maintain my tri fitness while I find the right time and race for a full Ironman. I see a couple familiar faces! Hi, Yanti and Judi!

NAME: Blanda

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: On FB, Blanda, and IG as blanda_5. Blanda on Strava, too.

STORY: Retired Guam soccer player. Found multi sporting about 4/5 years ago and transferred my energies to them. Much kinder on my poor knees. Have done all distances up to half IM.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 20 years to one cool dude, and we have 3 mostly lovely kids. Sometimes they're not so lovely, but still very loved, haha!

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently doing a lot of biking, some running, but mostly strength training with Crossfit. I'd really, really like to like swimming again. I'm not the strongest swimmer and need to work on it, but I can't seem to get myself back in the water.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Was supposed to race Subic Bay 70.3 but I ended up super sick with gut rot the morning of race day, I kid you not. 2am woke up with a raging fever and thought I was going to die while all my fellow Guammies were gone racing. I have an Olympic that I'd like to PR at in July.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I just need to compete in something, anything. I can't just work out to to feel and look good.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I've found most BT folks to be really cool, but seeing Yanti and Judi here makes it feel like a reunion! :D

Welcome to the group Blanda

2017-05-18 2:37 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Got on a exercise bike at the gym yesterday, 30 mins done and so happy! Road to recovery start here!
2017-05-18 8:03 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Expert
I had my first outdoor ride of the season. It was nice to ride somewhere other than my basement. I felt like a superhero on the you with 15 mph wind gusts at my back, then I felt like an old man on the return getting beaten up by the same wind.
2017-05-18 8:21 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by JBacarella I had my first outdoor ride of the season. It was nice to ride somewhere other than my basement. I felt like a superhero on the you with 15 mph wind gusts at my back, then I felt like an old man on the return getting beaten up by the same wind.

Ah wind, the finest of training partners.

2017-05-18 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by tomsimper Got on a exercise bike at the gym yesterday, 30 mins done and so happy! Road to recovery start here!

Good job!

2017-05-18 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Blanda Hi! Chris was so kind to invite me to your group. I was once active here at BT a couple years ago. Now making a return to keep myself motivated to maintain my tri fitness while I find the right time and race for a full Ironman. I see a couple familiar faces! Hi, Yanti and Judi! NAME: Blanda OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: On FB, Blanda, and IG as blanda_5. Blanda on Strava, too. STORY: Retired Guam soccer player. Found multi sporting about 4/5 years ago and transferred my energies to them. Much kinder on my poor knees. Have done all distances up to half IM. FAMILY STATUS: Married 20 years to one cool dude, and we have 3 mostly lovely kids. Sometimes they're not so lovely, but still very loved, haha! CURRENT TRAINING: Currently doing a lot of biking, some running, but mostly strength training with Crossfit. I'd really, really like to like swimming again. I'm not the strongest swimmer and need to work on it, but I can't seem to get myself back in the water. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Was supposed to race Subic Bay 70.3 but I ended up super sick with gut rot the morning of race day, I kid you not. 2am woke up with a raging fever and thought I was going to die while all my fellow Guammies were gone racing. I have an Olympic that I'd like to PR at in July. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I just need to compete in something, anything. I can't just work out to to feel and look good. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I've found most BT folks to be really cool, but seeing Yanti and Judi here makes it feel like a reunion! :D

Welcome to the group. Please log any training you are doing in your logs, as that helps us in two ways. 1) if you have questions, we have members who will look back at what you've done to get a good, sensible answer. 2) It helps keep us all accountable to our goals (says the guy with no objectives at all)

BTW, which Oly are you working towards for July?

2017-05-18 8:39 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Blanda Hi! Chris was so kind to invite me to your group. I was once active here at BT a couple years ago. Now making a return to keep myself motivated to maintain my tri fitness while I find the right time and race for a full Ironman. I see a couple familiar faces! Hi, Yanti and Judi! NAME: Blanda OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: On FB, Blanda, and IG as blanda_5. Blanda on Strava, too. STORY: Retired Guam soccer player. Found multi sporting about 4/5 years ago and transferred my energies to them. Much kinder on my poor knees. Have done all distances up to half IM. FAMILY STATUS: Married 20 years to one cool dude, and we have 3 mostly lovely kids. Sometimes they're not so lovely, but still very loved, haha! CURRENT TRAINING: Currently doing a lot of biking, some running, but mostly strength training with Crossfit. I'd really, really like to like swimming again. I'm not the strongest swimmer and need to work on it, but I can't seem to get myself back in the water. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Was supposed to race Subic Bay 70.3 but I ended up super sick with gut rot the morning of race day, I kid you not. 2am woke up with a raging fever and thought I was going to die while all my fellow Guammies were gone racing. I have an Olympic that I'd like to PR at in July. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I just need to compete in something, anything. I can't just work out to to feel and look good. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I've found most BT folks to be really cool, but seeing Yanti and Judi here makes it feel like a reunion! :D

Hi Blanda!  I remember you from some of the forums, mainly your great attitude and smile!  Welcome to the pod!

2017-05-18 8:40 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tomsimper Got on a exercise bike at the gym yesterday, 30 mins done and so happy! Road to recovery start here!

Nice!  Keep up the healing and forward progress but also remember, as tough as it can be, to be a patient patient.

2017-05-18 8:40 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella I had my first outdoor ride of the season. It was nice to ride somewhere other than my basement. I felt like a superhero on the you with 15 mph wind gusts at my back, then I felt like an old man on the return getting beaten up by the same wind.

OUTSIDE!!!  YAY!!!!  Wind; well, I call it character building.

2017-05-18 8:42 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome Blanda! I look forward to getting to know you and I hope that you post early and often!

Tom, I’m glad that you are well enough to drive and to use the bike at the gym.

Jim, it’s great that you were able to get outside. I understand that the trainer is a tool and all that but honestly, who gets into this sport to ride the trainer?

2017-05-18 10:35 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Welcome Blanda! I look forward to getting to know you and I hope that you post early and often!

Tom, I’m glad that you are well enough to drive and to use the bike at the gym.

Jim, it’s great that you were able to get outside. I understand that the trainer is a tool and all that but honestly, who gets into this sport to ride the trainer?

Going to piggyback on Janyne here, all of that! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2017-05-18 11:23 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Checking back in, glad to see/hear everyone's doing well! I just read a great article on Zone 3 running which describes me to a tea. I really struggle with running below Z3 because it feels like I need to basically walk/speedwalk to keep the HR where it needs to be. I'm sure I'm not alone so happy reading!

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/training-in-the-grey-zone-how-to-...

2017-05-18 12:15 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Citing me and St. Jude makes you just suspect enough to bee a Manatee

Harro! {MELON PRESS}

2017-05-18 12:19 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi guys just a quick check in cause im away for a conference at present and don't have great internet. Hope you are all doing well and that your weather is starting to allow you some outdoor training as you gear up for your summer racing. Great to see you Yanti we need to catch up this time your in Perth and k need to drop the shorts back to you.

I coach turbo up in Kalamunda every Thurs night 6:30pm. You're welcome to come!

Or, since I'll be up there anyway, I can come earlier and drop by.

You know you are also always welcome in super-klassie Midland :P motto "We're not as bad as Armahole ... yet"

2017-05-18 12:34 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

And I'm on the DL (again!) Grief can really depresses your immune system ... mine was awful anyway until I had a Chinese medicine miracle, but it seems to have devolved again.

Kingsley and I got a yucky cold/resp virus that was going around. He got better. I got pneumonia my usual stubbornness I didn't go to a doctor for weeks (I'm fine, it's a virus anyway, could even be the dreaded 100-days cough and just needs to run its course). Kingsley finally made an appointment for me and dragged me there.

Ended up seeing 5 medical professionals and each one gave me the same look I always get ... "are you f#$%! kidding me ... this has been going on for how long?" 

Apparently you need to breathe in order to live well?! Who knew? 

2017-05-18 1:28 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Smithtown, New York
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Checking back in, glad to see/hear everyone's doing well! I just read a great article on Zone 3 running which describes me to a tea. I really struggle with running below Z3 because it feels like I need to basically walk/speedwalk to keep the HR where it needs to be. I'm sure I'm not alone so happy reading!

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/training-in-the-grey-zone-how-to-...

I completely agree, running needs to be easy. I do most of my runs in at a comfortable and manageable pace and only pushing it if I feel good. Come race day I tend to feel very good and throw down negative splits
2017-05-18 1:32 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Smithtown, New York
How has everyones training been this year!? I have been having some fantastic workouts down. This past sunday I had a very solid and quick duathlon, Tuesday I biked 34.6 and ran 1.3 and Saturday I have a 5 mile race! I've been pushing myself a lot lately!
2017-05-18 1:52 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

And I'm on the DL (again!) Grief can really depresses your immune system ... mine was awful anyway until I had a Chinese medicine miracle, but it seems to have devolved again.

Kingsley and I got a yucky cold/resp virus that was going around. He got better. I got pneumonia my usual stubbornness I didn't go to a doctor for weeks (I'm fine, it's a virus anyway, could even be the dreaded 100-days cough and just needs to run its course). Kingsley finally made an appointment for me and dragged me there.

Ended up seeing 5 medical professionals and each one gave me the same look I always get ... "are you f#$%! kidding me ... this has been going on for how long?" 

Apparently you need to breathe in order to live well?! Who knew? 

Oh no! Take care!

2017-05-18 1:52 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook Checking back in, glad to see/hear everyone's doing well! I just read a great article on Zone 3 running which describes me to a tea. I really struggle with running below Z3 because it feels like I need to basically walk/speedwalk to keep the HR where it needs to be. I'm sure I'm not alone so happy reading! https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/training-in-the-grey-zone-how-to-...

Thanks for the link!

2017-05-18 2:01 PM

User image

Smithtown, New York

Originally posted by TXTriRook Checking back in, glad to see/hear everyone's doing well! I just read a great article on Zone 3 running which describes me to a tea. I really struggle with running below Z3 because it feels like I need to basically walk/speedwalk to keep the HR where it needs to be. I'm sure I'm not alone so happy reading! https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/training-in-the-grey-zone-how-to-...

Thanks for the link!

Was a great read! I've been doing a lot of easy running and it sure has payed off
2017-05-19 5:32 AM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Proof of life here....Welcome to the Pod, Blanda, and welcome back to Yanti!

It's the last few weeks of the term here, plus peak training for a HIM at end of June (Couer de' Alene), plus drama related to the new apartment and my parents' planned move in the States. My life has been just crazy. It started with doing my "Friday" swim workout on Monday and the washer regurgitating liters of sudsy water through the soap drawer, and just kind of went on from there.....

As for running, I've never been one to slip into Z3 involuntarily, unless heat exhaustion or illness is a factor. I think I was just born....er...slow to put it negatively...with an instinct for endurance, to put it positively. I can hardly ever recall starting too fast in a race, or running too fast in a workout. If I didn't run with HR, guessing I would do all of my non-race runs in Z1! My coach is making me do long runs with a HR monitor so I don't stay in Z1 the whole time. I just naturally gravitate to Z1--I can hold it for a long, long, long time! Z3--not unless I'm told to go there, and then it's a very conscious effort! My issue is Z2--it doesn't seem like a natural place for me. I have two gears, "easy"--Z1, and "hard-ish" to "hard"--Z3-4. Z2 is more a place I go between them, unless I really focus on the monitor and make an effort to keep pace a bit harder than easy and easier than hard.
2017-05-19 7:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Question for the group: Last fall I decided to get a smart trainer *or* power.  I went with power.  My "dumb" trainer was acting up last night. Kevin has a Wahoo Kickr that he is willing to share but I think that you need to calibrate these trainers to each user? With a smart trainer does it matter as much how "tight" you set the resistance on the wheel when you mount your bike?  Since the Kickr does power and the PowerTap does power, would I need to get them in sync or what? ETA: Would calibration just be a spin down between riders?

TL;DR - Can you/should you calibrate Wahoo Kickr Snap between two riders? What smart trainer do you have and would you recommend it?

Edited by jmkizer 2017-05-19 7:53 AM
2017-05-19 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Question for the group: Last fall I decided to get a smart trainer *or* power.  I went with power.  My "dumb" trainer was acting up last night. Kevin has a Wahoo Kickr that he is willing to share but I think that you need to calibrate these trainers to each user? With a smart trainer does it matter as much how "tight" you set the resistance on the wheel when you mount your bike?  Since the Kickr does power and the PowerTap does power, would I need to get them in sync or what? ETA: Would calibration just be a spin down between riders?

TL;DR - Can you/should you calibrate Wahoo Kickr Snap between two riders? What smart trainer do you have and would you recommend it?

As you know, I recently got a smart trainer and have been going through growing pains getting it all set up, somtake this with a grain of salt- you have to calibrate the trainer for each bike. You do that-at least for Tracx trainers, by spinning up to a certain mph and then letting the tire slow on its own. The app you do that in will tell you if the tire needs more or less resistance.  So, I'd think as you move your bikes on and off, you'd have to recalibrate to make sure the resistance is right. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102