BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-06-14 2:18 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Originally posted by lisac957

Checking in! I participated (not raced) in a 5K Saturday and walked it with my Mom. It was a great time at a company-sponsored event, about 1,000 employees and family/friends. Not worthy of the racing list though

The big cross country move is this week, and I've been furiously organizing and scheduling ALL THE THINGS. Household goods movers, vehicle shipping, vehicle rentals, selling furniture, buying furniture, stopping/starting utilities, planning the huge road trip, signing a lease for housing, closing on my home, and not to mention I'm supposed to be learning a new job. My new boss has been amazing though, and told me to just focus on getting settled in this month. Zero pressure for the job, but I want to make a good impression so trying to balance everything out. 

Hope everyone has a great week! 

Good luck on your move. I lived in Atlanta (a long time ago), it is a great place to live. there is a lot to do and see. You must get a bucket of chick fil a and go to Stone Mountain for the laser show. I went back a few years ago, and it's still a thing. It's also a great place to run and ride.

2017-06-14 5:30 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Quick note.  I'm very actively working to suppress the race bug I started to feel the last few days.  Hoping it passes... 

Been a couple years (!) since I've raced a tri (at least one that had a swim - Austin remains weird in every way), but the hassle:fun ratio seems to be tilting back to throwing in. 

Balancing the fun of racing with the fun of trying to improve (NOT the same things for me) and keeping everything else on track will be, ummmmm... interesting.  If I can't suppress the bug, that is. 

That is all.

Matt

Dont suppress it - JUST DO EEEEEITTTTT
(Isn't that the Manatees creed?)
2017-06-14 6:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Lisa, good luck getting settled in! Sounds like a great workplace with a patient boss like that.

Stacey, glad you're on the mend!

Matt, I feel ya. I want to do another race, but the thought of the energy that goes into preparing for one is hard to come by.

Well, I finally got a swim in! I didn't die, and it actually made my angry knee and hammy feel better for a little bit. It's so hot lately that it was pleasant to be in the water.

I was stupid pushing it too hard at a soccer scrimmage and now I've got an angry hammy and swollen left knee. Had to skip my morning run, and hoping to not make it worse during the actual game tonight. I "retired" from competitive soccer to avoid these injuries, but I don't know how to hold back, even in a pickup game. It's just "beer league" and I turn it into World Cup every time. Ugh.

National Olympic tri next month. I feel like I have to do it, but I'd really like to want to do it. I'm working on that.

Hope it's a great for you guys!

Edited by Blanda 2017-06-14 6:34 PM
2017-06-15 6:53 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
POL post.

Lisa, enjoy the ATL. I went to school down the road in Athens and have family and friends in Atlanta. Traffic is hell, rush hour lasts from 5:30-10:00 AM and 3:00-7:30 PM but otherwise, it's a great city.

Hope training is going well for everyone else.

No races on the books anytime soon, so I've been focusing on strength training this last week or so. I dropped more muscle than I wanted when HIM training and now that I'm back in the gym I can't help but notice that I dropped a lot of strength in my chest but not too terribly much in my back. I'm guessing my garbage swim stroke is back heavy Not sure if others have noticed this before or not.

Adam

2017-06-15 6:56 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK

Quick note.  I'm very actively working to suppress the race bug I started to feel the last few days.  Hoping it passes... 

Been a couple years (!) since I've raced a tri (at least one that had a swim - Austin remains weird in every way), but the hassle:fun ratio seems to be tilting back to throwing in. 

Balancing the fun of racing with the fun of trying to improve (NOT the same things for me) and keeping everything else on track will be, ummmmm... interesting.  If I can't suppress the bug, that is. 

That is all.

Matt

Dont suppress it - JUST DO EEEEEITTTTT (Isn't that the Manatees creed?)

Give in to the bug!

2017-06-15 7:48 AM
in reply to: awm007

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by awm007 POL post. Lisa, enjoy the ATL. I went to school down the road in Athens and have family and friends in Atlanta. Traffic is hell, rush hour lasts from 5:30-10:00 AM and 3:00-7:30 PM but otherwise, it's a great city. Hope training is going well for everyone else. No races on the books anytime soon, so I've been focusing on strength training this last week or so. I dropped more muscle than I wanted when HIM training and now that I'm back in the gym I can't help but notice that I dropped a lot of strength in my chest but not too terribly much in my back. I'm guessing my garbage swim stroke is back heavy Not sure if others have noticed this before or not. Adam

Have seen where triathletes can develop decent power here, but not as great on the ability to utilize it. Essentially, powermeter sensors on the hand.

2017-06-15 8:16 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Sad news here. A cyclist I sort of knew was killed by a driver I know too well (for all the wrong reasons). He was riding on a state road and she hit him from behind. She has not been charged while they are investigating. Sadly, Michigan is weak when it comes to protecting bike riders from motorists. No clearance is required and the bike is expected to be as close to the shoulder as is safe.
2017-06-15 9:32 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JBacarella Sad news here. A cyclist I sort of knew was killed by a driver I know too well (for all the wrong reasons). He was riding on a state road and she hit him from behind. She has not been charged while they are investigating. Sadly, Michigan is weak when it comes to protecting bike riders from motorists. No clearance is required and the bike is expected to be as close to the shoulder as is safe.

Wow, so sorry for you and the cycling community there. A friend of mine posted an article about states with laws regarding cycle safety. Sadly NM is also one that has no laws. PA has a 4 foot minimum! I'm going to live with Mel. SD has 3 feet below 35mph and 6 feet above 35mph.

2017-06-15 10:07 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by JBacarella Sad news here. A cyclist I sort of knew was killed by a driver I know too well (for all the wrong reasons). He was riding on a state road and she hit him from behind. She has not been charged while they are investigating. Sadly, Michigan is weak when it comes to protecting bike riders from motorists. No clearance is required and the bike is expected to be as close to the shoulder as is safe.

Wow, so sorry for you and the cycling community there. A friend of mine posted an article about states with laws regarding cycle safety. Sadly NM is also one that has no laws. PA has a 4 foot minimum! I'm going to live with Mel. SD has 3 feet below 35mph and 6 feet above 35mph.

Very sorry to learn about the cyclist you knew, Jim.

TJ - while PA does have the 4' law, it sounds like we both need to move to SD!

2017-06-15 10:08 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Blanda Lisa, good luck getting settled in! Sounds like a great workplace with a patient boss like that. Stacey, glad you're on the mend! Matt, I feel ya. I want to do another race, but the thought of the energy that goes into preparing for one is hard to come by. Well, I finally got a swim in! I didn't die, and it actually made my angry knee and hammy feel better for a little bit. It's so hot lately that it was pleasant to be in the water. I was stupid pushing it too hard at a soccer scrimmage and now I've got an angry hammy and swollen left knee. Had to skip my morning run, and hoping to not make it worse during the actual game tonight. I "retired" from competitive soccer to avoid these injuries, but I don't know how to hold back, even in a pickup game. It's just "beer league" and I turn it into World Cup every time. Ugh. National Olympic tri next month. I feel like I have to do it, but I'd really like to want to do it. I'm working on that. Hope it's a great for you guys!

She swam!  She swam!    Nice job, now take care of the grumpy knee, please.

2017-06-15 10:17 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Blanda--motivation to swim---There is a lot of research that says that swimming is one of the best recovery tools around! It's always been my experience that swimming "undoes" running and other sports that are harder on the body, and I can't recover nearly as well from hard runs/rides if I don't swim. So maybe it would help to think of it as recovery or therapy rather than training?

Heavy rain here and high winds forecast, and I'm supposed to do a run speed workout. Ummm.....

2017-06-15 10:30 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Blanda--motivation to swim---There is a lot of research that says that swimming is one of the best recovery tools around! It's always been my experience that swimming "undoes" running and other sports that are harder on the body, and I can't recover nearly as well from hard runs/rides if I don't swim. So maybe it would help to think of it as recovery or therapy rather than training? Heavy rain here and high winds forecast, and I'm supposed to do a run speed workout. Ummm.....

It's amazing how much a little kickset did towards recovering!

2017-06-15 11:25 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Coach told me not to record my w/u and c/d today. What?!?!?!?! Not get credit on Strava for 450 yards?!?!?!?!?!

2017-06-15 12:40 PM

Master
Northern IL

Is it a time trial or something?

2017-06-15 1:18 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I don't post too often but can I ask what happened to BT? Back 5-8 year ago when I was on this was a super active and great site, met some real life friends but now when I post no one responds, this site is bunked. Are there any good triathlon facebook groups that could serve better?

Riley, a few days ago I invited you to The Triathlon Collective on Facebook. I'm not sure that it's what you are looking for or not.  If anyone else wants and invitation, let me know. Ben and Yanti both post semi-regularlly and I read along when I can. I particularly enjoy the pictures of Fred's dog. Too bad Fred gets in them so often!  (ha! just kidding!)

2017-06-15 1:20 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Anne - TOMRV 2-day ride
Janyne - TSS Ride for Life
Socks - Grand Rapids half iron aqua bike on Sunday

Does anyone else have races or events this weekend?

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back
Stacey - under the weather

Nooooooo, the DL list is longer than the racer list!  Heal up, DLers, and get off the list!  Race fast, race safely, and have fun, competing manatees!

It's gonna be the same this week unless there has been some speed healing going on -- or a lot of folks have signed up for races/events in the last day...

2017-06-15 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Blanda
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by brigby1

At the moment, I honestly can't tell if that 70 laps was 1,750 yds or 7,000 meters.

I don't know if my pool is yards or meters but I'm assuming yards 70 X 50 = 3500 yards

ETA: might get it in after all, DH is delayed

Better text coach to see if he means 1750 or 3500!

Nah, I know a lap is round trip

OK. I just thought that it might have seemed longer than you expected in which case clarifying that you and Coach mean the same thing might be worthwhile.

I say avoid it altogether. I bet Blanda agrees with me.

Hey, I saw that! Hahahaha! So yeah, the bathing suit in my bag has yet to be used. Hope all the racers had great races! Can't wait to read about it! Sunday we had a mountain biking Black Jack Rally. Good fun. I'm terrible with cards, so I didn't get the lucky ones. I did win bike gloves from a raffle drawing, yay! Let's see if I PR in losing one hand on these like I've done with almost all the others! It's still early in the afternoon. Let's see if my suit gets wet.

It's a good thing that the suit doesn't take much space!

2017-06-15 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

That is all.

Matt

Dont suppress it - JUST DO EEEEEITTTTT (Isn't that the Manatees creed?)

Seriously, we are low on racers...

2017-06-15 1:27 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I am so sorry to hear this.  NC has a 4' passing rule (cars must leave the lane or allow 4-feet) that went on the books in the past year. I don't know that it's helped. :-(

2017-06-15 1:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Coach told me not to record my w/u and c/d today. What?!?!?!?! Not get credit on Strava for 450 yards?!?!?!?!?!

Record as separate files, delete from TP.

ETA: Jackie is the opposite. She frequently says something in the workout like "include this in the total time."  (think tire pulls here)

Edited by jmkizer 2017-06-15 1:29 PM
2017-06-15 1:46 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

ETA: Jackie is the opposite. She frequently says something in the workout like "include this in the total time."  (think tire pulls here)

Yes, it's a tt.

Good idea on deleting the file, although I'm sure it will still mess up which one it takes as the main set.

2017-06-15 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yes, it's a tt.

Good idea on deleting the file, although I'm sure it will still mess up which one it takes as the main set.

Are you using Training Peaks? If so, you can have the workout be in three files. Leave all three in Strava and just the main set in TP.

2017-06-15 3:00 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Anne - TOMRV 2-day ride
Janyne - TSS Ride for Life
Socks - Grand Rapids half iron aqua bike on Sunday

Does anyone else have races or events this weekend?

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back
Stacey - under the weather

Nooooooo, the DL list is longer than the racer list!  Heal up, DLers, and get off the list!  Race fast, race safely, and have fun, competing manatees!

It's gonna be the same this week unless there has been some speed healing going on -- or a lot of folks have signed up for races/events in the last day...

Good luck racers!

Barbara
2017-06-16 5:37 AM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Good news Janyne, you can take me off the DL

Today I am finally feeling human again and tomorrow I WILL run - not sure how far and how fast but I will run
2017-06-16 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18
Ann-Marie - Mack Cycle Trilogy Series Triathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Safe travels to Lisa!

Congrats to Blanda on getting a swim in! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102