BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-07-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by brigby1

Been having some fun getting my Mom riding again. She's had trouble with anemia and is pretty light, so ended up getting a pedal assist bike*. Loves the different settings for it so she can adjust to keep up with who she's riding with and still do her own work. Also in case she goes a little far that day, can dial it up to get back. Rides soft and has a minor shock in the headset too.

One difficulty is that the thing weighs aboutt 46 lbs (seriously). She can't actually load it onto her car by herself. Hitch rack or inside. So far I've figured out techniques to make it easier for someone assisting her, but still trying for on her own. Once on the car though, we found a previously unknown safety feature of the vehicle. When the back-up camera detects an obstacle, it will automatically hit the breaks. And you can guess exactly where the bike is situated on the rack. She couldn't back up until getting the auto braking disabled. Now it's down to just an alarming beep. Hoping to figure that out soon too as the rack is still in view of the camera, even without the bike on.

*This isn't a truly motorized bike or e-bike because the motor only assists when pedaling as it's attached up in the crank area. It does nothing when coasting, otherwise the pedals would keep going around too. This model also has a speed limitation on the assist of 28 mph. So faster than she'll ever see. My brother got a kick out of testing this before bringing it over.

That's very cool!

I have the same annoying beep when my bike is on my hitch! Thankfully, I can disable the back up assist so the beep stops but the camera still works.  I have to do it every time which is at least less annoying than the loud beep!

2017-07-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner I would love to get something similar for my mom. She really likes to ride and do bike tours but at 78 is not very fast (I simply can't go at her speed anymore without falling off my road bike) and doesn't have the power to get over substantial hills anymore. Had not thought about the bike loading issue--hopefully between the two of us (she's my size, which is to say, not that big) we'd be able to load it.

The whole situation turned out hilariously complex. There is a lock on the battery pack, which has to be removed to go on the bike rack. There are also locks for the hitch itself and the cable lock.

Think she's close to your size too, but with more health issues. Her vehicle is a Grand Cherokee, and the hitch & trunk area are surprisingly high up in the air. I have to lift one of the dogs up and in. The other can just make the jump. Grocery loading and such it's a great height for her. Bike loading would be less difficult on my car, a Subaru Impreza, but not quite sure she could get it yet. I showed her some leverage tricks to help, but still needs to practice at that. Things like standing to the side, brake one wheel and push/pull the handlebars to get the other in the air.

2017-07-24 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Been having some fun getting my Mom riding again. She's had trouble with anemia and is pretty light, so ended up getting a pedal assist bike*. Loves the different settings for it so she can adjust to keep up with who she's riding with and still do her own work. Also in case she goes a little far that day, can dial it up to get back. Rides soft and has a minor shock in the headset too.

One difficulty is that the thing weighs aboutt 46 lbs (seriously). She can't actually load it onto her car by herself. Hitch rack or inside. So far I've figured out techniques to make it easier for someone assisting her, but still trying for on her own. Once on the car though, we found a previously unknown safety feature of the vehicle. When the back-up camera detects an obstacle, it will automatically hit the breaks. And you can guess exactly where the bike is situated on the rack. She couldn't back up until getting the auto braking disabled. Now it's down to just an alarming beep. Hoping to figure that out soon too as the rack is still in view of the camera, even without the bike on.

*This isn't a truly motorized bike or e-bike because the motor only assists when pedaling as it's attached up in the crank area. It does nothing when coasting, otherwise the pedals would keep going around too. This model also has a speed limitation on the assist of 28 mph. So faster than she'll ever see. My brother got a kick out of testing this before bringing it over.

You are GREAT to your Mom. How lucky she is. And what a great invention that is! Those auto/ safety features are both wonderful and annoying. the beeping in my car will never be able to be disabled. It is part of some magic overlord mother board thing.

2017-07-24 12:04 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Oh hai. Like Stace Face I stalk but also am so massively busy I feel like I can't breathe at times. I'm racing tomorrow too -- Bengkulu Triathlon (sprint distance). 

GO MANATEE RACERS!!!

I have this fascination going on every time Yanti does Sprint triathlon

Actually, me too. But it's a really awful fascination going on during the race, like whyyyyyyy do I do Sprints ... they hurt SOOOO much! You're pretty much on the red line the whole time. Barfy!

That said I got to take home some hardware and even cash for 3rd in AG. So what if the trophy looks like a crack pipe. The medal is pretty (that and I think there were only 6 ppl in my AG, and I coach & outfit the one who came in 2nd so of course she was going to come in ahead since she actually does what I advise! ha! unlike me)

CONGRATS KAREN!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANDS-MARIE!!!

Good work, Coach! I love the Bos'n whistle trophy. Does it work?

2017-07-24 1:59 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Blanda, I hope that you are feeling more yourself

Karen, congratulations and safe travels!

Yanti, congratulations!

Ben, I feel your mom’s pain. I have a hard time getting the kayak out by myself so it’s been garaged for a very long time. The idea was that we would kayak together bit shortly after I purchased my flatware boat, Kevin got into whitewater. Anyway hopefully you can figure out a way for her to load the bike herself!

2017-07-24 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by Hot Runner I would love to get something similar for my mom. She really likes to ride and do bike tours but at 78 is not very fast (I simply can't go at her speed anymore without falling off my road bike) and doesn't have the power to get over substantial hills anymore. Had not thought about the bike loading issue--hopefully between the two of us (she's my size, which is to say, not that big) we'd be able to load it.

The whole situation turned out hilariously complex. There is a lock on the battery pack, which has to be removed to go on the bike rack. There are also locks for the hitch itself and the cable lock.

Think she's close to your size too, but with more health issues. Her vehicle is a Grand Cherokee, and the hitch & trunk area are surprisingly high up in the air. I have to lift one of the dogs up and in. The other can just make the jump. Grocery loading and such it's a great height for her. Bike loading would be less difficult on my car, a Subaru Impreza, but not quite sure she could get it yet. I showed her some leverage tricks to help, but still needs to practice at that. Things like standing to the side, brake one wheel and push/pull the handlebars to get the other in the air.

Could you build a little light weight ramp that she could put on the ground and use to wheel the bike up to the right height? Once she had the bike loaded then she could put the ramp on the back seat and use it to get the bike off and back on again at her destination. It would need to be light so maybe bulsa wood if it would take the weight of the bike or a very light ply.

Thinking if you used a carrier something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/thule-rideon-3-towbar-bike... then she could just wheel it up rather than having to lift it.

2017-07-25 1:50 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Things like the ramp are being considered, though trying to keep the number of accessories down. The rack is one that uses the wheels with a center support to latch onto the frame, so in more vague terms it is kind of like the one referenced (I forget the exact model, but it's a Saris). Hence working with techniques on getting one wheel up at a time.

Things like this have been an eye opening experience for my parents. The two together can get it with some effort, but while struggling to seat it just right I was able to just lift the whole thing one-handed. I'm stronger than people usually think, but not an overwhelming powerhouse either.

Edited by brigby1 2017-07-25 1:51 PM
2017-07-26 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Greetings! Hope you're having a super week, so far. Feeling pretty good now with all the social and familial obligations behind me. Refocused on a Crossfit competition coming up that I've been asked to team up for. Just a couple weeks to dedicate to that with it happening 8/12. Hoping I'll miss the tri training and jump back in refreshed.

I'm realizing I need a big race to train for to keep me plugging away. Time to shop around. :D

Happy swim, bike or run!

Edited by Blanda 2017-07-26 5:48 PM
2017-07-27 9:51 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Blanda Greetings! Hope you're having a super week, so far. Feeling pretty good now with all the social and familial obligations behind me. Refocused on a Crossfit competition coming up that I've been asked to team up for. Just a couple weeks to dedicate to that with it happening 8/12. Hoping I'll miss the tri training and jump back in refreshed. I'm realizing I need a big race to train for to keep me plugging away. Time to shop around. :D Happy swim, bike or run!

Wow! You've been busy! I'm glad that things are settling down a bit for you (or are they?)

2017-07-27 11:20 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Congrats on the races last week everyone.  Hope everyone is having a good week.

Our tri community has had a rough week.  We lost a member in his sleep overnight Monday.  He had been having a heart issue investigated, but was cleared to train and race so long as he kept his heart rate under a certain rate.  I saw him at the Y just last week.  We weren't close, but I really enjoyed his dry sense of humour.  Leaves a wife and an adult (or almost adult) daughter.  RIP Peter.

Then on Tuesday another member was in Bellingham, WA riding solo when a woman turned into him.  Broken wrist, ribs, punctured lung, fractured back and brain swelling.  Still unconscious.  Super nice guy, wife and two kids (tweens).  Please keep Todd in your thoughts.  

Partly makes me scared to continue in this sport, but partly makes me more resolved to continue--life is short, do what you love.  I try not to dwell on what could happen but when it is so close it's tough.

2017-07-27 11:21 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Do we know how Conner's race went?

2017-07-27 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Our tri community has had a rough week.  We lost a member in his sleep overnight Monday.  He had been having a heart issue investigated, but was cleared to train and race so long as he kept his heart rate under a certain rate.  I saw him at the Y just last week.  We weren't close, but I really enjoyed his dry sense of humour.  Leaves a wife and an adult (or almost adult) daughter.  RIP Peter.

Then on Tuesday another member was in Bellingham, WA riding solo when a woman turned into him.  Broken wrist, ribs, punctured lung, fractured back and brain swelling.  Still unconscious.  Super nice guy, wife and two kids (tweens).  Please keep Todd in your thoughts.  

Partly makes me scared to continue in this sport, but partly makes me more resolved to continue--life is short, do what you love.  I try not to dwell on what could happen but when it is so close it's tough.

I am so sorry to hear this, Kirsten. {{hugs}}

2017-07-27 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Do we know how Conner's race went?

Connor doesn't check in much. I Strava-stalked his race in the Manatee group and it looks like he was quite fast on the bike and run and that everyone had a tough swim. (people were calling it WTF??? and stuff so I'm guessing the upsteam portion was tough).

2017-07-27 2:39 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I kind of know what you mean about continuing riding (or carrying on with tri), I haven't been out on the bike since trans continuing race last year and have become quite anxious at the thought of going out. It knocked me when the race director of The Transcontinental race died in a collision whilst racing across Australia earlier this year.
2017-07-27 6:16 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I kind of know what you mean about continuing riding (or carrying on with tri), I haven't been out on the bike since trans continuing race last year and have become quite anxious at the thought of going out. It knocked me when the race director of The Transcontinental race died in a collision whilst racing across Australia earlier this year.

Yeah, this is the second of my circle that have had bad collisions.  The other was a couple years ago--fractured bone in his neck but fully recovered.  I try to ride really early in the morning so that there is little traffic.  If I am out on my own, I try to stay to MUPs where I can and non-arterial roads.  I know stuff can happen anywhere, but I feel like the less traffic, the better.  Bright clothing, head on a swivel.  There is just no way I could do all my training on a trainer.  There are risks with anything I suppose....

2017-07-27 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

I am so sorry to hear this, Kirsten. {{hugs}}

Im so sorry to hear this Kristen.

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
On a totally trivial note. I think that the blisters on the soles of my feet are finally healed enough to run.

They were healing really well and then my feet got wet. I ended up losing a patch of skin about 2" round on the balls of both feet this week so it's made walking a little tender.

They also released the final race course for the HM and marathon for the end of August this week and they have taken out one of the big hills and replaced it with one that is known as cardiac hill in the running community. This is the case for both the half and the full but it has made me realise that trying to do the full just wouldn't be smart so I'm sticking with the half.

Right got to go to work - have a great Friday everyone.

Edited by StaceyK 2017-07-27 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yeah, this is the second of my circle that have had bad collisions.  The other was a couple years ago--fractured bone in his neck but fully recovered.  I try to ride really early in the morning so that there is little traffic.  If I am out on my own, I try to stay to MUPs where I can and non-arterial roads.  I know stuff can happen anywhere, but I feel like the less traffic, the better.  Bright clothing, head on a swivel.  There is just no way I could do all my training on a trainer.  There are risks with anything I suppose....

So sorry about the people in your club! 

My weekday rides are on the trainer, my long weekend ride is outside in a place that is used to cyclists taking over the area weekends. The city actively promotes cycling, but that doesn't mean that all the residents are happy with the situation or that careless drivers aren't present. Luckily, pretty quickly you get into the rural areas and car traffic is pretty light.  The downside is it's a 30-40 minute drive from my house, but I make the drive as I don't feel comfortable riding from home in the heavy city anti- cyclist traffic around here. Plus, it's the only place with hills

s pretty 

2017-07-27 9:58 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

So sorry about the people in your club! 

My weekday rides are on the trainer, my long weekend ride is outside in a place that is used to cyclists taking over the area weekends. The city actively promotes cycling, but that doesn't mean that all the residents are happy with the situation or that careless drivers aren't present. Luckily, pretty quickly you get into the rural areas and car traffic is pretty light.  The downside is it's a 30-40 minute drive from my house, but I make the drive as I don't feel comfortable riding from home in the heavy city anti- cyclist traffic around here. Plus, it's the only place with hills

s pretty 

Happy to report that Todd has had some improvement.  Still not really conscious, just in and out, but able to understand most of what is said to him.  Physio worked with him and he was able to move all limbs on command.  Has developed pneumonia, but not uncommon.  May get breathing tube out tomorrow.  Thanks for continued positive thoughts.

2017-07-28 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Kirsten, I'm sorry to see the challenges your community has seen. Sometimes we really do feel like we're on a roller coaster with no way off. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

I hope everyone has a good weekend and is able to safely get in whatever training is on tap. 

2017-07-28 9:23 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Kirsten - I'm very sorry to hear about your friends.  Losing someone unexpectedly is tough even if you weren't close.

On the subject of bike vs car incidents, there have been 2 that affected me recently.  Last week my masters coach got hit by a FedEx truck and ended up needing surgery on his elbow complete with some pins and plates to help put it back together and heal. He got hit on a road I ride fairly often.  Over the weekend the unimaginable happened (near me but thankfully not where I usually ride): an SUV intentionally mowed down 2 out of 3 bikers http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/07/suv_swerves_into_bicyclists_so.html. So far they haven't caught the driver who did this but are on the lookout for the vehicle. Really makes you wonder WTF is wrong with some people. Reminds me of the jerk who swerved at EFP and I earlier this year from the other lane - why, just why?

2017-07-28 10:06 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

Originally posted by melbo55

Kirsten - I'm very sorry to hear about your friends.  Losing someone unexpectedly is tough even if you weren't close.

On the subject of bike vs car incidents, there have been 2 that affected me recently.  Last week my masters coach got hit by a FedEx truck and ended up needing surgery on his elbow complete with some pins and plates to help put it back together and heal. He got hit on a road I ride fairly often.  Over the weekend the unimaginable happened (near me but thankfully not where I usually ride): an SUV intentionally mowed down 2 out of 3 bikers http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/07/suv_swerves_into_bicyclists_so.html. So far they haven't caught the driver who did this but are on the lookout for the vehicle. Really makes you wonder WTF is wrong with some people. Reminds me of the jerk who swerved at EFP and I earlier this year from the other lane - why, just why?

Crazy.  That one just seems like a senseless moron who just wants to hurt people, thankfully no on was killed. I have definitely experienced the drivers that can't wait 7.5 seconds to have room to pass.  Sorry your community is dealing with that too, especially given that the dude has not been caught.  

2017-07-28 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Crazy.  That one just seems like a senseless moron who just wants to hurt people, thankfully no on was killed. I have definitely experienced the drivers that can't wait 7.5 seconds to have room to pass.  Sorry your community is dealing with that too, especially given that the dude has not been caught.  

What is wrong with people?!

2017-07-28 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 29-30
Kirsten - IM Canada 70.3 on Sunday
Tom S. - Salford Triathlon on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

2017-07-28 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

July 29-30
Kirsten - IM Canada 70.3 on Sunday
Tom S. - Salford Triathlon on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Go Kirsten and Tom S!!

Glad to see another week with no DL!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102