Other Resources 2017 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 87

2017-06-23 6:10 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Hey Manatees, just letting you know that I am still alive. I've been flat out busy at work and sleeping a lot trying to recover from a pretty nasty chest infection (not quite pneumonia thankfully).

I managed to run today for the first time in 3 weeks, and only the third time in the last 5 weeks, so I am happy about that. What I'm not too happy about is my first marathon is next weekend (9 days) and I'm starting to panic a bit due to all the long runs I've missed - the longest I've done is 22k. So the plan now is to drop the pace right back and just finish.

Good luck to all the racing Manatees this weekend.

2017-06-23 10:03 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Hey Manatees, just letting you know that I am still alive. I've been flat out busy at work and sleeping a lot trying to recover from a pretty nasty chest infection (not quite pneumonia thankfully). I managed to run today for the first time in 3 weeks, and only the third time in the last 5 weeks, so I am happy about that. What I'm not too happy about is my first marathon is next weekend (9 days) and I'm starting to panic a bit due to all the long runs I've missed - the longest I've done is 22k. So the plan now is to drop the pace right back and just finish. Good luck to all the racing Manatees this weekend.

Thanks for checking in. I'm so glad to hear that you are recovering!

2017-06-23 10:13 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser
Gold member

Originally posted by StaceyK Hey Manatees, just letting you know that I am still alive. I've been flat out busy at work and sleeping a lot trying to recover from a pretty nasty chest infection (not quite pneumonia thankfully). I managed to run today for the first time in 3 weeks, and only the third time in the last 5 weeks, so I am happy about that. What I'm not too happy about is my first marathon is next weekend (9 days) and I'm starting to panic a bit due to all the long runs I've missed - the longest I've done is 22k. So the plan now is to drop the pace right back and just finish. Good luck to all the racing Manatees this weekend.

Nasty chest infex can be as bad as pneumonia regardless. It's taken me the better part of 2mo to shake the pneumo and I still cough a lot with exertion.

Honestly it's not the length or even number of long runs. It's the sum total of the running you've done.

This is terrible advice, because it's what I do (not what I actually tell people they should do!), but if you're topped up on rest (you are) and you have a halfway decent lifetime/last few years' running base built up (you do), you'll be OK to finish. You could walk the thing and be done in 7hrs. (What's the time limit?)

Go out slow and fade to the finish Be extremely generous with your run:walk ratio. Like, 1:1. If you're feeling fandamtastic halfway through you can always change it and/or speed up. If not, at least you'll be able to continue at that pace and finish OK. 

2017-06-23 10:34 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser
Gold member

I'm still stalking here and still not wanting to jinx myself by logging training! I've got a good run of runs, OK bikes and strength training (I need it for reasons other than tri but it is, as much as it can be, tri-geared), started swimming and don't want it to end abruptly as it always seems to do with me.

I'm not in a good head space, and I'm not sure I should expect myself to be. I've been through a lengthy illness, am still journeying with grief and likely to be for a while, and ... well ... a lot of things have gone to shyte.

Every important thing in my life is intact. Oscar is dead but every magnificent thing he was, about him, that he did ... those can never be un-done or un-lived, and I will love him forever.

And GO RACING MANATEES!!!

Blanda ... take very, very good care, as everyone said. I'm trying to do the same for me perhaps for the first time in my life.

2017-06-23 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25
Blanda - Sprint Trip on Sunday
Karen - Coeur d'Alene 70.3 on Sunday

Birthdays!
June 23 -- that TODAY -- is Robin P's birthday
June 27 is Chris' birthday

2017-06-23 2:15 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Go Racers!!!
Enjoy the race Blanda and Karen! I hope you have a wonderful weather.

Happy birthday Robin and Chris! I wich you all the best )))

2017-06-23 2:16 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

I'm still stalking here and still not wanting to jinx myself by logging training! I've got a good run of runs, OK bikes and strength training (I need it for reasons other than tri but it is, as much as it can be, tri-geared), started swimming and don't want it to end abruptly as it always seems to do with me.

I'm not in a good head space, and I'm not sure I should expect myself to be. I've been through a lengthy illness, am still journeying with grief and likely to be for a while, and ... well ... a lot of things have gone to shyte.

Every important thing in my life is intact. Oscar is dead but every magnificent thing he was, about him, that he did ... those can never be un-done or un-lived, and I will love him forever.

And GO RACING MANATEES!!!

Blanda ... take very, very good care, as everyone said. I'm trying to do the same for me perhaps for the first time in my life.

Yanti,
I am keeping you in my thoughts!
2017-06-23 2:21 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois

Nasty chest infex can be as bad as pneumonia regardless. It's taken me the better part of 2mo to shake the pneumo and I still cough a lot with exertion.

Honestly it's not the length or even number of long runs. It's the sum total of the running you've done.

This is terrible advice, because it's what I do (not what I actually tell people they should do!), but if you're topped up on rest (you are) and you have a halfway decent lifetime/last few years' running base built up (you do), you'll be OK to finish. You could walk the thing and be done in 7hrs. (What's the time limit?)

Go out slow and fade to the finish Be extremely generous with your run:walk ratio. Like, 1:1. If you're feeling fandamtastic halfway through you can always change it and/or speed up. If not, at least you'll be able to continue at that pace and finish OK. 

I have not done marathon (yet..), so cannot speak about the training, but the plans I've seen go to about 20 miles before the race day, so it seems like you should be OK with 22 completed... Like Yanti said, you've been running for quite a while, thus, your body should not be too extremely surprised with the distance, but take it slower than you planned few months ago.

Keep in mind, if it's your first full m, it will be a PR no matter the finish time

Feel better!
2017-06-23 3:11 PM

User image

Champion
Silver member

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Blanda, take care and have FUN!

Karen- Have a fandamtastic race.

I know there are some DL's there healing up. HEAL UP (please)

Happy Birthday Chris a bit early Chris!

Happy birthday to me, too!

2017-06-23 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Go Karen and the taking it easy Blanda!!

Happy birthday Robin P and happy almost bday Chris!

yay, to no DL!

2017-06-23 5:50 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83

I have not done marathon (yet..), so cannot speak about the training, but the plans I've seen go to about 20 miles before the race day, so it seems like you should be OK with 22 completed... Like Yanti said, you've been running for quite a while, thus, your body should not be too extremely surprised with the distance, but take it slower than you planned few months ago. Keep in mind, if it's your first full m, it will be a PR no matter the finish time Feel better!

Looks like it was 22k instead of 22 miles, so about halfway. Still, following what Yanti said with the run/walk should be a big help. Run should still be at easy pace. 

2017-06-23 8:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marysia83

I have not done marathon (yet..), so cannot speak about the training, but the plans I've seen go to about 20 miles before the race day, so it seems like you should be OK with 22 completed... Like Yanti said, you've been running for quite a while, thus, your body should not be too extremely surprised with the distance, but take it slower than you planned few months ago. Keep in mind, if it's your first full m, it will be a PR no matter the finish time Feel better!

Looks like it was 22k instead of 22 miles, so about halfway. Still, following what Yanti said with the run/walk should be a big help. Run should still be at easy pace. 

Yeah its Km rather than miles, unfortunately. But I'm just gonna back right off and run with my mum - which is really cool.

The cut off time is 6:40 so the pace doesn't need to be fast to get finished. I'm hoping that the training I have managed to do and the fact that every second weekend I spend 5 or 6 hours pushing the lawn mower around our yard (which is on a bit of a hill) will help me get across the line.
2017-06-24 9:59 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Good luck Blanca and Karen! Have great races!

Happy birthday Chris and Robin!
2017-06-24 8:04 PM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by tomsimper

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Good luck Blanca and Karen! Have great races!

Happy birthday Chris and Robin!
Go Blanda and Karen, enjoy your day.

Happy belated Birthday Robin.
2017-06-25 1:40 AM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Good luck Blanda and Karen!

Happy belated to Robin, and Happy early to Chris!

Stacey, hope you are feeling better.

New Thread
Other Resources 2017 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 87