Other Resources 2017 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 76

2017-05-22 8:06 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Talk to me about budget-friendly rear-mounted hydration. I'm looking to add a bottle behind the saddle but don't want to break the bank doing so (or lose the bottle on the course). Thanks!

i have 2 cages mounted off the back, but I don't really like them too much as being short it can be hard to get my legs over!! I do have the cages tilted to make it easier.  

My issue is I'd like between the aero bars hydration, but my bars are so narrow that the Profile design system didn't work! I've also tried a DIY system without luck. So, I'm still on the hunt!

I have the same problem getting my leg over the water bottle in the back. I have a double XLab Gorilla cage and nothing falls out of it! I use it for my Mezzo Cage Pod that hold my tubes, CO2, and levers. The other cage sits empty for 70.3 races. I have trouble gripping water bottles and always drop them. There for a get laughed at a lot with my Speedfil Hydration System mounted to my frame and my XLab torpedo mounted between my aerobars. Yes that means two straws but I don't care. I hold them together with a hair tie so they're no problem. We moved my seat forward so not the straws hit me in the nose when I'm in aero. It's a great reminder to drink more!

I'm not short and it was a little difficult to get on the bike with the double for me too. Saddle height will scale up or down with the individual.

Wish I had a suggestion, but it's been a few years since I've looked at something. Even since having the Dash saddle with the built in mount. I only used it for repairs storage. It was simple, it worked better than others, but was the opposite of budget friendly! 

It appear height isn't the issue with the rear cages. I have to tip my bike over at an extreme angle to get my leg over the cages too. I do use Camelbak water bottles with the loops around the top. I am able to control them a little better, because I'm grabbing them by the loop instead of the bottle. Otherwise, I am the guy who always drops his bottle in traffic (I haven't hurt anyone yet, to my knowledge).

Ha! So, it's not just a short person thing - good to know!!

2017-05-22 8:06 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Blanda Well, I won the MTB national champs for the women. I hadn't planned on racing, but the course gave me no other option. You're pretty much flying down and climbing up. Not much in between. I detest walking my bike uphill so I my goal was to climb until started tipping over or I lost traction. Was able to stay on my bike for most of climbs. Pretty satisfying. My fitness is much improved and I had been mountain biking quite a bit for race I did a couple weeks ago. My handling skills have been sharpened. Great race even though I hadn't really wanted to do it. I had even deleted the email with all the reg info. Took a couple training partners to talk me into it. Hope your weekend is going well and training has been solid!

Congratulations! And a belated welcome to the Pod!

2017-05-22 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Saigon, Vietnam
I also have a Profile Design double rear mount (need all the water I can carry in the tropics--I also have a frame bottle and an aerobottle!) and it can be a challenge to get my leg over when dismounting. Had a nervous moment at Calgary 70.3 last year--my legs were really trashed by the end of a very hilly bike leg and thought I might get caught on the bottles and go down with the bike, but I didn't. And I'm not short, at least by female standards--almost 5'8", with pretty long legs for my height.

I've noticed bottles are much less likely to eject from the rear if they are the slightly shorter, wider 20 oz size rather than the taller, skinnier 24 oz ones (like the big Polar bottles). Pretty much every ejection situation I've had has been with the big bottles or, in one case, a smaller 16 oz run bottle that I had grabbed by mistake. Plus the shorter bottles are just a tiny bit easier to clear on dismount than the tall ones.

I have dropped my bottle in a race once--riding my American road bike that I don't spend too much time on and tried to put it in the place where I put it on the Vietnamese road bike. Only there isn' a cage there on the American bike. Oops. Thank goodness it was a sprint with only about five miles left to ride. Dumbest thing I have ever done is to drop a bottle ON THE TRAINER when I went to insert it in the rear cage on my tri bike, and it got stuck between the tire and the trainer resistance thingy and jammed everything and cracked the bottle. That takes talent.
2017-05-22 12:41 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Kansas

Proof of life post 

Exciting times in my life! I accepted a promotion with my company's corporate headquarters in Atlanta, so will be moving across the country! Really excited about moving to a big city and the new job! I sold my house while I was in Europe (only listed for three days!) and crossing my fingers everything goes smoothly there. On a bit of a training hiatus until life settles down, but looking forward to new races in the south. 

2017-05-22 1:02 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Blanda Well, I won the MTB national champs for the women. I hadn't planned on racing, but the course gave me no other option. You're pretty much flying down and climbing up. Not much in between. I detest walking my bike uphill so I my goal was to climb until started tipping over or I lost traction. Was able to stay on my bike for most of climbs. Pretty satisfying. My fitness is much improved and I had been mountain biking quite a bit for race I did a couple weeks ago. My handling skills have been sharpened. Great race even though I hadn't really wanted to do it. I had even deleted the email with all the reg info. Took a couple training partners to talk me into it. Hope your weekend is going well and training has been solid!

Wow, that's great, congratulations!  No ouchies along the way either, I hope!

2017-05-22 4:48 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Question for the group: Last fall I decided to get a smart trainer *or* power.  I went with power.  My "dumb" trainer was acting up last night. Kevin has a Wahoo Kickr that he is willing to share but I think that you need to calibrate these trainers to each user? With a smart trainer does it matter as much how "tight" you set the resistance on the wheel when you mount your bike?  Since the Kickr does power and the PowerTap does power, would I need to get them in sync or what? ETA: Would calibration just be a spin down between riders?

TL;DR - Can you/should you calibrate Wahoo Kickr Snap between two riders? What smart trainer do you have and would you recommend it?

Okay, I'm making a few assumptions here, but:

I'm guessing you are getting your work outs that you intend to do from your coach. They are prescribing your workouts based on your FTP gained/measured from your power meter readings. When you then perform these work outs on the Kickr, the Kickr is using it's internal power meter to set the resistance of the trainer. The problem that you will get is the difference between the two power meters. You haven't said if what program you are using to control the Kickr, or even if you are using a program. TrainerRoad has the ability to Powermatch the Kickr to your external power meter. This takes your power reading from your power meter and adjusts the resistance of the trainer from that. This effectively calibrates the Kickr to your power meter. I believe Wahoo's own App has this ability also, But I'm not too sure how to activate it.

As for tightening the wheel against the trainer the same each time. This is more important when just using the Kickr as your primary power meter. IE you don't have another power meter. This tries to minimize the difference in set ups between trainer rides. Essentially each time you take off the bike from the trainer and then put it back on, it's like starting again with a completely different power meter. Unless you can get the wheel resistance the same again. Which is where the Same tyre pressure/wheel resistance thing comes from.

Spin down calibration on the trainer is to adjust for the difference in readings caused by temperature fluctuations. When you start your ride, the temperature is cooler and the trainer is cooler. There may be extra resistance for XX Watts, so you perform a spin down to calibrate the resistance of the trainer to the temperature difference. You should also perform another spin down mid ride to re-calibrate again when temperature increases.

If your coach is prescribing your workouts based on your power meter, then you have options:

1. Use some kind of power match like I've mentioned above.

2. As Ben said, you could use your Garmin to record your power meter, a phone to control the Kickr power meter and try to adjust the Kickr resistance until you reach the desired/prescribed power on your Garmin unit from your power meter.

i.e Coach says 30 min at 200 Watt. Use Wahoo App to increase Watts on the Kickr to, {pick a number, whatever the difference in power is between the two devices} 200 +-XX  Watts, even though you Garmin is reading 200W.

3. You perform a separate FTP test using the power readings from your Kickr and your coach prescribes your indoor work out using this FTP. You then use the readings from you Kickr and not your power meter when completing indoor rides.

Ideally, option 1 is best. Two is next, and the third option last.

Hope that helps. I know, clear as mud right?

2017-05-22 4:50 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Question for the group: Last fall I decided to get a smart trainer *or* power.  I went with power.  My "dumb" trainer was acting up last night. Kevin has a Wahoo Kickr that he is willing to share but I think that you need to calibrate these trainers to each user? With a smart trainer does it matter as much how "tight" you set the resistance on the wheel when you mount your bike?  Since the Kickr does power and the PowerTap does power, would I need to get them in sync or what? ETA: Would calibration just be a spin down between riders?

TL;DR - Can you/should you calibrate Wahoo Kickr Snap between two riders? What smart trainer do you have and would you recommend it?

I'm guessing you are getting your work outs that you intend to do from your coach. They are prescribing your workouts based on your FTP gained/measured from your power meter readings. When you then perform these work outs on the Kickr, the Kickr is using it's internal power meter to set the resistance of the trainer. The problem that you will get is the difference between the two power meters. You haven't said if what program you are using to control the Kickr, or even if you are using a program. TrainerRoad has the ability to Powermatch the Kickr to your external power meter. This takes your power reading from your power meter and adjusts the resistance of the trainer from that. This effectively calibrates the Kickr to your power meter. I believe Wahoo's own App has this ability also, But I'm not too sure how to activate it.

As for tightening the wheel against the trainer the same each time. This is more important when just using the Kickr as your primary power meter. IE you don't have another power meter. This tries to minimize the difference in set ups between trainer rides. Essentially each time you take off the bike from the trainer and then put it back on, it's like starting again with a completely different power meter. Unless you can get the wheel resistance the same again. Which is where the Same tyre pressure/wheel resistance thing comes from.

Spin down calibration on the trainer is to adjust for the difference in readings caused by temperature fluctuations. When you start your ride, the temperature is cooler and the trainer is cooler. There may be extra resistance for XX Watts, so you perform a spin down to calibrate the resistance of the trainer to the temperature difference. You should also perform another spin down mid ride to re-calibrate again when temperature increases.

If your coach is prescribing your workouts based on your power meter, then you have options:

2. As Ben said, you could use your Garmin to record your power meter, a phone to control the Kickr power meter and try to adjust the Kickr resistance until you reach the desired/prescribed power on your Garmin unit from your power meter.

i.e Coach says 30 min at 200 Watt. Use Wahoo App to increase Watts on the Kickr to, {pick a number, whatever the difference in power is between the two devices} 200 +-XX  Watts, even though you Garmin is reading 200W.

3. You perform a separate FTP test using the power readings from your Kickr and your coach prescribes your indoor work out using this FTP. You then use the readings from you Kickr and not your power meter when completing indoor rides.

Found it:  https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000506290-Using-your-KICKR-Power-Meter-and-the-Wahoo-Fitness-app-iOS-

2017-05-22 5:21 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by fortissimo

Talk to me about budget-friendly rear-mounted hydration. I'm looking to add a bottle behind the saddle but don't want to break the bank doing so (or lose the bottle on the course). Thanks!

i have 2 cages mounted off the back, but I don't really like them too much as being short it can be hard to get my legs over!! I do have the cages tilted to make it easier.  

My issue is I'd like between the aero bars hydration, but my bars are so narrow that the Profile design system didn't work! I've also tried a DIY system without luck. So, I'm still on the hunt!

I have the same problem getting my leg over the water bottle in the back. I have a double XLab Gorilla cage and nothing falls out of it! I use it for my Mezzo Cage Pod that hold my tubes, CO2, and levers. The other cage sits empty for 70.3 races. I have trouble gripping water bottles and always drop them. There for a get laughed at a lot with my Speedfil Hydration System mounted to my frame and my XLab torpedo mounted between my aerobars. Yes that means two straws but I don't care. I hold them together with a hair tie so they're no problem. We moved my seat forward so not the straws hit me in the nose when I'm in aero. It's a great reminder to drink more!

I'm not short and it was a little difficult to get on the bike with the double for me too. Saddle height will scale up or down with the individual.

Wish I had a suggestion, but it's been a few years since I've looked at something. Even since having the Dash saddle with the built in mount. I only used it for repairs storage. It was simple, it worked better than others, but was the opposite of budget friendly! 

It appear height isn't the issue with the rear cages. I have to tip my bike over at an extreme angle to get my leg over the cages too. I do use Camelbak water bottles with the loops around the top. I am able to control them a little better, because I'm grabbing them by the loop instead of the bottle. Otherwise, I am the guy who always drops his bottle in traffic (I haven't hurt anyone yet, to my knowledge).

Ha! So, it's not just a short person thing - good to know!!

That's right you are just one of the gang. haha
2017-05-22 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Proof of life here too.

Sorry I missed wishing you well with your races last week. I got home from a week away at a conference and discovered that our internet wasn't working, got it sorted now though.

Well done Blanda for your win I am sure that it was very well earned.
2017-05-23 7:57 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Proof of life post 

Exciting times in my life! I accepted a promotion with my company's corporate headquarters in Atlanta, so will be moving across the country! Really excited about moving to a big city and the new job! I sold my house while I was in Europe (only listed for three days!) and crossing my fingers everything goes smoothly there. On a bit of a training hiatus until life settles down, but looking forward to new races in the south. 

Congratulations!

2017-05-23 8:00 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Yes, clear as mud.

The other issue is that Kevin may use the trainer in the morning one day and then I may use the trainer after work the next day. Is there anything special that needs to be done when switching riders?

2017-05-23 9:20 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by lisac957

Proof of life post 

Congratulations!

yes, congrats!

New Thread
Other Resources 2017 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 76