BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-06-23 6:10 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Hey Manatees, just letting you know that I am still alive. I've been flat out busy at work and sleeping a lot trying to recover from a pretty nasty chest infection (not quite pneumonia thankfully).

I managed to run today for the first time in 3 weeks, and only the third time in the last 5 weeks, so I am happy about that. What I'm not too happy about is my first marathon is next weekend (9 days) and I'm starting to panic a bit due to all the long runs I've missed - the longest I've done is 22k. So the plan now is to drop the pace right back and just finish.

Good luck to all the racing Manatees this weekend.

2017-06-23 10:03 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Hey Manatees, just letting you know that I am still alive. I've been flat out busy at work and sleeping a lot trying to recover from a pretty nasty chest infection (not quite pneumonia thankfully). I managed to run today for the first time in 3 weeks, and only the third time in the last 5 weeks, so I am happy about that. What I'm not too happy about is my first marathon is next weekend (9 days) and I'm starting to panic a bit due to all the long runs I've missed - the longest I've done is 22k. So the plan now is to drop the pace right back and just finish. Good luck to all the racing Manatees this weekend.

Thanks for checking in. I'm so glad to hear that you are recovering!

2017-06-23 10:13 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK Hey Manatees, just letting you know that I am still alive. I've been flat out busy at work and sleeping a lot trying to recover from a pretty nasty chest infection (not quite pneumonia thankfully). I managed to run today for the first time in 3 weeks, and only the third time in the last 5 weeks, so I am happy about that. What I'm not too happy about is my first marathon is next weekend (9 days) and I'm starting to panic a bit due to all the long runs I've missed - the longest I've done is 22k. So the plan now is to drop the pace right back and just finish. Good luck to all the racing Manatees this weekend.

Nasty chest infex can be as bad as pneumonia regardless. It's taken me the better part of 2mo to shake the pneumo and I still cough a lot with exertion.

Honestly it's not the length or even number of long runs. It's the sum total of the running you've done.

This is terrible advice, because it's what I do (not what I actually tell people they should do!), but if you're topped up on rest (you are) and you have a halfway decent lifetime/last few years' running base built up (you do), you'll be OK to finish. You could walk the thing and be done in 7hrs. (What's the time limit?)

Go out slow and fade to the finish Be extremely generous with your run:walk ratio. Like, 1:1. If you're feeling fandamtastic halfway through you can always change it and/or speed up. If not, at least you'll be able to continue at that pace and finish OK. 

2017-06-23 10:34 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

I'm still stalking here and still not wanting to jinx myself by logging training! I've got a good run of runs, OK bikes and strength training (I need it for reasons other than tri but it is, as much as it can be, tri-geared), started swimming and don't want it to end abruptly as it always seems to do with me.

I'm not in a good head space, and I'm not sure I should expect myself to be. I've been through a lengthy illness, am still journeying with grief and likely to be for a while, and ... well ... a lot of things have gone to shyte.

Every important thing in my life is intact. Oscar is dead but every magnificent thing he was, about him, that he did ... those can never be un-done or un-lived, and I will love him forever.

And GO RACING MANATEES!!!

Blanda ... take very, very good care, as everyone said. I'm trying to do the same for me perhaps for the first time in my life.

2017-06-23 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25
Blanda - Sprint Trip on Sunday
Karen - Coeur d'Alene 70.3 on Sunday

Birthdays!
June 23 -- that TODAY -- is Robin P's birthday
June 27 is Chris' birthday

2017-06-23 2:15 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Go Racers!!!
Enjoy the race Blanda and Karen! I hope you have a wonderful weather.

Happy birthday Robin and Chris! I wich you all the best )))

2017-06-23 2:16 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

I'm still stalking here and still not wanting to jinx myself by logging training! I've got a good run of runs, OK bikes and strength training (I need it for reasons other than tri but it is, as much as it can be, tri-geared), started swimming and don't want it to end abruptly as it always seems to do with me.

I'm not in a good head space, and I'm not sure I should expect myself to be. I've been through a lengthy illness, am still journeying with grief and likely to be for a while, and ... well ... a lot of things have gone to shyte.

Every important thing in my life is intact. Oscar is dead but every magnificent thing he was, about him, that he did ... those can never be un-done or un-lived, and I will love him forever.

And GO RACING MANATEES!!!

Blanda ... take very, very good care, as everyone said. I'm trying to do the same for me perhaps for the first time in my life.

Yanti,
I am keeping you in my thoughts!
2017-06-23 2:21 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Nasty chest infex can be as bad as pneumonia regardless. It's taken me the better part of 2mo to shake the pneumo and I still cough a lot with exertion.

Honestly it's not the length or even number of long runs. It's the sum total of the running you've done.

This is terrible advice, because it's what I do (not what I actually tell people they should do!), but if you're topped up on rest (you are) and you have a halfway decent lifetime/last few years' running base built up (you do), you'll be OK to finish. You could walk the thing and be done in 7hrs. (What's the time limit?)

Go out slow and fade to the finish Be extremely generous with your run:walk ratio. Like, 1:1. If you're feeling fandamtastic halfway through you can always change it and/or speed up. If not, at least you'll be able to continue at that pace and finish OK. 

I have not done marathon (yet..), so cannot speak about the training, but the plans I've seen go to about 20 miles before the race day, so it seems like you should be OK with 22 completed... Like Yanti said, you've been running for quite a while, thus, your body should not be too extremely surprised with the distance, but take it slower than you planned few months ago.

Keep in mind, if it's your first full m, it will be a PR no matter the finish time

Feel better!
2017-06-23 3:11 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Blanda, take care and have FUN!

Karen- Have a fandamtastic race.

I know there are some DL's there healing up. HEAL UP (please)

Happy Birthday Chris a bit early Chris!

Happy birthday to me, too!

2017-06-23 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Go Karen and the taking it easy Blanda!!

Happy birthday Robin P and happy almost bday Chris!

yay, to no DL!

2017-06-23 5:50 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83

I have not done marathon (yet..), so cannot speak about the training, but the plans I've seen go to about 20 miles before the race day, so it seems like you should be OK with 22 completed... Like Yanti said, you've been running for quite a while, thus, your body should not be too extremely surprised with the distance, but take it slower than you planned few months ago. Keep in mind, if it's your first full m, it will be a PR no matter the finish time Feel better!

Looks like it was 22k instead of 22 miles, so about halfway. Still, following what Yanti said with the run/walk should be a big help. Run should still be at easy pace. 

2017-06-23 8:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

I have not done marathon (yet..), so cannot speak about the training, but the plans I've seen go to about 20 miles before the race day, so it seems like you should be OK with 22 completed... Like Yanti said, you've been running for quite a while, thus, your body should not be too extremely surprised with the distance, but take it slower than you planned few months ago. Keep in mind, if it's your first full m, it will be a PR no matter the finish time Feel better!

Looks like it was 22k instead of 22 miles, so about halfway. Still, following what Yanti said with the run/walk should be a big help. Run should still be at easy pace. 

Yeah its Km rather than miles, unfortunately. But I'm just gonna back right off and run with my mum - which is really cool.

The cut off time is 6:40 so the pace doesn't need to be fast to get finished. I'm hoping that the training I have managed to do and the fact that every second weekend I spend 5 or 6 hours pushing the lawn mower around our yard (which is on a bit of a hill) will help me get across the line.
2017-06-24 9:59 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Good luck Blanca and Karen! Have great races!

Happy birthday Chris and Robin!
2017-06-24 8:04 PM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by tomsimper

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Good luck Blanca and Karen! Have great races!

Happy birthday Chris and Robin!
Go Blanda and Karen, enjoy your day.

Happy belated Birthday Robin.
2017-06-25 1:40 AM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25

Birthdays!

Good luck Blanda and Karen!

Happy belated to Robin, and Happy early to Chris!

Stacey, hope you are feeling better.

2017-06-25 5:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Okay, So I faded out there pretty bad. Between, the new job and the new house time has been difficult to come by - which is just a sad sorry excuse but its coming to an end right now. I did finally get my new car - a Subaru and with it I get a $750 rebate if I do a Subaru series triathlon - SO I signed up for a sprint at the end of August. I only have 2 months so I am diving into the last 2 months of an Oly plan here from BT.

I do also desperately need to catch up on the thread but I hope everyone is doing well

Edited by DaveL 2017-06-26 8:49 PM

2017-06-25 5:41 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by DaveL

Okay, So I faded out there pretty bad. Between, the new job and the new house time has been difficult to come by - which is just a sad sorry excuse but its coming to an end right now. I did finally get my new car - a Subaru and with it I get a $750 rebate if I do a Subaru series triathlon - SO I signed up for a sprint at the end of August. I only have 2 months so I am diving into the last 2 months of an Oly plan here from BT.

I do also desperately need to catch up on the tread but I hope everyone is doing well

Sorry you didn't go so well Dave.

Is your race a sprint or an Oly? If it's a sprint why not use a sprint plan - especially if you are pressed for time. I'm just wondering if using an Oly plan is setting you up to fail right from the start due to the time constraints you have at present.
2017-06-25 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Proof of life (I think....I'm alive????) Hard day at the office at CDA 70.3 today. Had no idea how brutal the bike course was until we drove it yesterday. OMG it made Calgary look easy! The upshot was I had an okay swim, slow bike, and decent run (until I cramped at 9 1/2 miles, almost exactly the same place it happened at Calgary last year despite trying to not do what I thought might have triggered it there). My AG was crazy competitive--first place was 5:10! I ended up 13th in AG. Ugh. Much bigger field than most of the races I do. But at 5:31:02 about 14-15 minutes off my best time, mostly due to the bike. Since last September, I've only ridden Rover (tri bike) outside on a hilly course once (last week), and done a few outdoor rides on my road bike at the training camp in Thailand in February. I think training-wise just wasn't ready for the bike course today. I cramped horribly for about the last 15 miles of the bike, managed to get over it by about 3-4 km on the run, but then cramped again on the run between 9 and 10 miles. Ugh--was hoping to do my best run split (sub-1:43) up to that point; it ended up 1:46, which was good enough for 4th in AG. Altogether not too happy with my race, but I gave it absolutely everything I had today, given the cramping situation--very close to walking over the finish line. I doubt the 10:43/mile pace for the last 200m on the tracker (out of an average of 8:07) was wrong--it felt like 20:43!

Beautiful race course and great community support, but not sure I'd try to do this event again directly off of 99% of my bike training on the trainer!
2017-06-26 11:34 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Proof of life (I think....I'm alive????) Hard day at the office at CDA 70.3 today. Had no idea how brutal the bike course was until we drove it yesterday. OMG it made Calgary look easy! The upshot was I had an okay swim, slow bike, and decent run (until I cramped at 9 1/2 miles, almost exactly the same place it happened at Calgary last year despite trying to not do what I thought might have triggered it there). My AG was crazy competitive--first place was 5:10! I ended up 13th in AG. Ugh. Much bigger field than most of the races I do. But at 5:31:02 about 14-15 minutes off my best time, mostly due to the bike. Since last September, I've only ridden Rover (tri bike) outside on a hilly course once (last week), and done a few outdoor rides on my road bike at the training camp in Thailand in February. I think training-wise just wasn't ready for the bike course today. I cramped horribly for about the last 15 miles of the bike, managed to get over it by about 3-4 km on the run, but then cramped again on the run between 9 and 10 miles. Ugh--was hoping to do my best run split (sub-1:43) up to that point; it ended up 1:46, which was good enough for 4th in AG. Altogether not too happy with my race, but I gave it absolutely everything I had today, given the cramping situation--very close to walking over the finish line. I doubt the 10:43/mile pace for the last 200m on the tracker (out of an average of 8:07) was wrong--it felt like 20:43!

Beautiful race course and great community support, but not sure I'd try to do this event again directly off of 99% of my bike training on the trainer!

Great job on overcoming the cramps, congrats on the 13th position, although, I am sorry for the disappointment and pain you went through. It seems like a tough race!! Like you said, you gave everything you had and train for, so that's where you should be proud of yourself.

How are you feeling today?
2017-06-26 11:36 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by brigby1

Yeah its Km rather than miles, unfortunately. But I'm just gonna back right off and run with my mum - which is really cool.

The cut off time is 6:40 so the pace doesn't need to be fast to get finished. I'm hoping that the training I have managed to do and the fact that every second weekend I spend 5 or 6 hours pushing the lawn mower around our yard (which is on a bit of a hill) will help me get across the line.

Oops... sorry for the miles/km misunderstanding.... yeah, that really is a difference... Definitely take it slow and easy!
2017-06-26 1:01 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Proof of life (I think....I'm alive????) Hard day at the office at CDA 70.3 today. Had no idea how brutal the bike course was until we drove it yesterday. OMG it made Calgary look easy! The upshot was I had an okay swim, slow bike, and decent run (until I cramped at 9 1/2 miles, almost exactly the same place it happened at Calgary last year despite trying to not do what I thought might have triggered it there). My AG was crazy competitive--first place was 5:10! I ended up 13th in AG. Ugh. Much bigger field than most of the races I do. But at 5:31:02 about 14-15 minutes off my best time, mostly due to the bike. Since last September, I've only ridden Rover (tri bike) outside on a hilly course once (last week), and done a few outdoor rides on my road bike at the training camp in Thailand in February. I think training-wise just wasn't ready for the bike course today. I cramped horribly for about the last 15 miles of the bike, managed to get over it by about 3-4 km on the run, but then cramped again on the run between 9 and 10 miles. Ugh--was hoping to do my best run split (sub-1:43) up to that point; it ended up 1:46, which was good enough for 4th in AG. Altogether not too happy with my race, but I gave it absolutely everything I had today, given the cramping situation--very close to walking over the finish line. I doubt the 10:43/mile pace for the last 200m on the tracker (out of an average of 8:07) was wrong--it felt like 20:43! Beautiful race course and great community support, but not sure I'd try to do this event again directly off of 99% of my bike training on the trainer!

It sounds like a tough race in a tough field. Congrats on achieving 4th place in your crazy competitive AG. Way to persevere!

2017-06-26 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS
2017-06-26 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by DaveL

I do also desperately need to catch up on the tread but I hope everyone is doing well

Sorry you didn't go so well Dave.

Is your race a sprint or an Oly? If it's a sprint why not use a sprint plan - especially if you are pressed for time. I'm just wondering if using an Oly plan is setting you up to fail right from the start due to the time constraints you have at present.

The race is a sprint but I typically try to train to more than the race distance, this also allows me to slip a little in the training when "life happens" but still have a decent amount of training in. Time constraints are largely an excuses - there is always time if I decide to make time.
2017-06-26 9:44 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Nope, not 4th place. That was just my run time. I was 13th in AG for the whole race. Ugh.
2017-06-27 8:37 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi Manatees! Long time no post!! 

Just wanted to say a quick hi and promise to be back to catch up. We are all doing well - my big baby boy is 2 months old! and he's big! Already over 14lbs and unbelievably to this shortie (5'3") he's 99th percentile for height ... anyway, he's great, i am good. Today he's going in for his first set of vaccines. We're all getting on. Even better is that i am easing back into running. Last week did a 2 minute walk, 1 minute run for each one and this week will do 1:1.  Feeling pretty good but given that i am still pretty early from the birth i need to work on my pelvic floor and be smart about not diving into everything!

Anyway, i hope everyone is well and i'll be back on soon!

i have a photo on my training log. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102