BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2017-01-18 11:09 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: RE: Difference in bikes (training vs. racing)
Originally posted by rjchilds8

As I was doing my bike workout on the trainer tonight, a question popped into my head. I keep my old/cheap road bike on my trainer for the winter months. It saves wear and tear on my newer bike and its wheels. But I started to wonder if I should be worried about the different geometry and fit between the two bikes. Does it matter if I train on one bike during the winter months, but then train and race on a different bike during the warmer months? Do I have to worry about differences in geometry having a negative impact (whether in potential for injury or possibly using slightly different allocation of muscles)? Or won't it make a difference an bike fitness is bike fitness, regardless of any other factors?

I would try to get them as close as possible just to make it comfortable going from one to the other.

Nate

2017-01-19 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by rjchilds8 As I was doing my bike workout on the trainer tonight, a question popped into my head. I keep my old/cheap road bike on my trainer for the winter months. It saves wear and tear on my newer bike and its wheels. But I started to wonder if I should be worried about the different geometry and fit between the two bikes. Does it matter if I train on one bike during the winter months, but then train and race on a different bike during the warmer months? Do I have to worry about differences in geometry having a negative impact (whether in potential for injury or possibly using slightly different allocation of muscles)? Or won't it make a difference an bike fitness is bike fitness, regardless of any other factors?

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your bike fit is really bad. I ride a road bike off and on while in training and a fixed spin bike at the gym if the weather is bad. You can still build on your base (HR monitor recommended).

I do however focus on my race bike a couple of months prior to a race for familiarity. I am faster on my TT bike than my road bike, significantly. 

2017-01-19 1:46 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
Hi, y'all! I'm joining a bit late. I picked up some extra work in December that kept me busy for a few weeks, but I'm done with that now. This is my fourth year with this group and as a triathlete. I've done a couple dozen sprints and Olys over the past three years and my first 70.3 last June. I'm coming off being laid up for three months with a sprained ankle and broken foot (ladder fall), so I'm gradually working back into training and getting back to my former fitness level.

I'm generally a back-of-the-packer. Running is by far my weakest sport. I was heavy for decades, and that and too much sitting have taken a heavy toll on my body as I'm pretty riddled with arthritis. But I've lost 120 pounds since I started this journey--110 in my first year--and as long as I can keep crossing that finish line, I'll keep going!

Also, I'm moving up an age group this year, to the 55-59 women, which is a REALLY TOUGH age group in this area!

Cassandra
2017-01-20 10:58 AM

User image

I've stacked two days in a row now. Will keep building. So far my runs have been indoors on the treadmill. Looking forward to heading outside this coming weekend as long as the trails aren't too slippery. Its been great reading up on the backstories of the members of the group. Its been motivational which is exactly what I've been needing
2017-01-20 11:54 AM
in reply to: trei

User image

Originally posted by trei

I've stacked two days in a row now. Will keep building. So far my runs have been indoors on the treadmill. Looking forward to heading outside this coming weekend as long as the trails aren't too slippery. Its been great reading up on the backstories of the members of the group. Its been motivational which is exactly what I've been needing

Can't run three days in a row without first doing two! Keep it up!

Nate
2017-01-20 11:00 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Seems like everyone is doing okay.

I started my slow journey back. Today was a rest day with LOTS and LOTS of STRETCHING. I walked a little too much yesterday so I knew better than to do anything today but stretch and rest.

2017-01-21 3:22 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

New user
Watford
Hi all,

I did my first 'long' run of the year today.
I took my daughter to work at 8:00am then forced myself to go for my first 10km of the year.
It was pretty much the coldest run I've ever done. -4!!!
I know that's not very cold to some of you, but here in London it doesn't often get below 0, so running in sub zero is a new experience for me, but I had decided during the week I was going to run whatever the temperature so I did!!!

Now I off for a very hot long shower and breakfast, but before I go a quick question.

In general is it best to improve endurance first and them work on speed, or work on speed first then endurance later in the training program or sort of alternate - I'm thinking speed/technical during the week and then longer run/bike on the weekend.

Thanks - Tony.

2017-01-21 6:38 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2 Hi, y'all! I'm joining a bit late. I picked up some extra work in December that kept me busy for a few weeks, but I'm done with that now. This is my fourth year with this group and as a triathlete. I've done a couple dozen sprints and Olys over the past three years and my first 70.3 last June. I'm coming off being laid up for three months with a sprained ankle and broken foot (ladder fall), so I'm gradually working back into training and getting back to my former fitness level. I'm generally a back-of-the-packer. Running is by far my weakest sport. I was heavy for decades, and that and too much sitting have taken a heavy toll on my body as I'm pretty riddled with arthritis. But I've lost 120 pounds since I started this journey--110 in my first year--and as long as I can keep crossing that finish line, I'll keep going! Also, I'm moving up an age group this year, to the 55-59 women, which is a REALLY TOUGH age group in this area! Cassandra

Hi Cassandra, great to have you back!

2017-01-21 8:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

I've been reading all the posts, but have gotten behind in responding. I'm going to try to go back today to answer and respond to as many as I can. Everyone seems to be doing great and lots of positive energy right now in the group!

Edited by Dominion 2017-01-21 8:24 AM
2017-01-21 8:51 AM
in reply to: Geoff29610

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Geoff29610 Hey everyone, I am excited to be apart of this group and thank you for your feedback thus far and your continued feedback. This will be my third week of training for my sprint at the end of April. You can check out my training log. I just did run-swim-bike friday-saturday-sunday and used yesterday as my rest day. My right calf cramped during mile 8 on the bike. Do you think because I am early on in my training I am over-training? That last thing I want to do is over-train and end up injured. My proposed daily plan for the next few weeks.....Swim-Bike-Run-Rest-Swim-Bike-Run-Rest. Should I take more rest days or try to combine two into one day? Any feedback would help...most of you are way more experienced than I am. Again, any feedback is greatly appreciated!! Geoff

Geoff,

I don't think you are over training. The  biggest risk of injury when just starting out is running too much. A calf cramp while cycling could be many things but I don't think you need to cut back unless it becomes chronic. Also increasing hydration can help with cramps. By that I don't mean just hydrating immediately before or during the session. Drink water throughout the day. It can take time to hydrate properly down to the cellular level.

If your swim, bike, run, rest schedule is working for you than stick with that. If you get to the point where you feel you can do more, I would start with adding a 2nd run in somewhere. Maybe increase it to a Swim and Run - Bike - Run -Rest pattern when you are ready.

2017-01-21 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8 As I was doing my bike workout on the trainer tonight, a question popped into my head. I keep my old/cheap road bike on my trainer for the winter months. It saves wear and tear on my newer bike and its wheels. But I started to wonder if I should be worried about the different geometry and fit between the two bikes. Does it matter if I train on one bike during the winter months, but then train and race on a different bike during the warmer months? Do I have to worry about differences in geometry having a negative impact (whether in potential for injury or possibly using slightly different allocation of muscles)? Or won't it make a difference an bike fitness is bike fitness, regardless of any other factors?

I ride a rode bike exclusively on my trainer.

Now you say that you race and train the rest of the year on a different bike, presumably your race bike? Sure the geometry is different but during those winter months when racing is still quite a ways away I see no problem with the rode bike on the trainer. Much of your winter work is just building the systems ie. increasing cardiovascular ability and muscular endurance. You can begin to dial in fit and position and comfort on your race bike as the weather warms up and you get closer to race season. Now riding your tri bike on the trainer is fine too, but like you I try to save the wear and tear and therefore the road bike is on the trainer for my winter work. I do most of my outdoor summer riding on a road bike too. It's just my preference and what I enjoy. I do one 20 mile -ish ride a week on the tri bike during the season. The rest is all road bike. Some would disagree with this approach and they ride their tri bikes exclusively. I think it is personal preference. Do spend enough training time on your tri bike to feel comfortable and at home on it though. Do some training bricks on it to make sure your legs are not cramping up or anything from the different angle/position of your road bike geometry.

2017-01-21 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by TonyAbbott Hi all, I've just started my second week training after Christmas, so I'm very much in the build phase. I bought myself a very cheap Turbo over Christmas to try and improve my bike whilst the weather here in the UK is still poor. So far I've been on it each weekend for about an hour and half - seems good but it's not the most comfortable training I've ever done. Certain parts, I won't go into details as it's a family audience tend to go quite numb after riding for 30 mins. I hope that this will get better the more I train. All in all the turbo seems to be a success and for only £60. Last year I didn't start training on the bike until April other than spinning in the gym which isnt the same. I'm very much in the base/build phase and I assume this should be working up to longer runs and cycles? I'm trying to add time to each session on a weekly basis - not too much just small increments. Is that correct or should I worry less about time and more about technique. I'm thinking of trying to schedule both. So one day a long session and the next shorter and more technical. I'm also doing weights/core twice a week in the gym. Any thoughts, suggestions or comments very welcome. Thanks - Tony.

Tony,

Try adjusting or changing your saddle. Move it forward on the rails, move it backwards, adjust the angle if need be. Some discomfort is normal but numbness within 30 minutes is not normal. Just try different things until you find what works. I have gone through several different saddles to find what works for me. Surprisingly one of the cheap ones is most comfortable for my position.

I like your plan of small incremental increases in your training load. Just stay consistent. You will reach plateaus and you just have to keep working until that next breakthrough. I also like the core work 2x per week. I've added a lot of planking to my routing this year.

Edited by Dominion 2017-01-21 9:30 AM
2017-01-21 9:15 AM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by joshwennes Last night after work I hit a 30 minute spin bike and 30 minute treadmill run. Felt great. Today I was considering biking then lifting but convinced myself I needed the cardio more. Hit another 30 minute spin bike and 30 minute treadmill run. Again, awesome feeling. My run isn't at normal pace yet, hitting 2.9 miles in the 30 minutes. The bike is surprising me. in the 30 minutes I was on(spin bike, so may not be 100% accurate), I hit a little over 12 miles. I was really happy with that. Once the weather turns, we'll see what I can do on an actual bike trail. The weather sounds like it might get to the mid 40's this weekend and I might try and find a stretch of trail that is workable and actually run outside(so excited at that possibility!).

You're doing great Josh! Keep it up!!

Don't expect to hold 24 mph outdoors though, at least not for awhile.

2017-01-21 9:18 AM
in reply to: mistercdub

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by mistercdub Hi All, Just checking in. I am really impressed with the workouts posted! Way to go. I have been continuing to work on improving my fitness and today was able to sign up at a gym that will allow me to begin my swim training! My first time in the pool will be tomorrow morning. So far all is going well and I think I will be targeting 3 sprints this year. One each in June (Motor City),July (Sanford Lake) and August (South Haven). I also have a 5 or 10 K planned for September and likely one for October. Keep up the great work all!

Carl,

How did the swim go? Don't expect too much the first few sessions. Swimming is hard just starting out but gets better pretty quickly.

2017-01-21 9:21 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your bike fit is really bad. I ride a road bike off and on while in training and a fixed spin bike at the gym if the weather is bad. You can still build on your base (HR monitor recommended).

I do however focus on my race bike a couple of months prior to a race for familiarity. I am faster on my TT bike than my road bike, significantly

Same here. I still enjoy the road bike more though.

2017-01-21 9:22 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Lovey Seems like everyone is doing okay. I started my slow journey back. Today was a rest day with LOTS and LOTS of STRETCHING. I walked a little too much yesterday so I knew better than to do anything today but stretch and rest.

Keep at it. It is a slow process when just starting back. Enjoy the journey!

2017-01-21 9:27 AM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by TonyAbbott Hi all, I did my first 'long' run of the year today. I took my daughter to work at 8:00am then forced myself to go for my first 10km of the year. It was pretty much the coldest run I've ever done. -4!!! I know that's not very cold to some of you, but here in London it doesn't often get below 0, so running in sub zero is a new experience for me, but I had decided during the week I was going to run whatever the temperature so I did!!! Now I off for a very hot long shower and breakfast, but before I go a quick question. In general is it best to improve endurance first and them work on speed, or work on speed first then endurance later in the training program or sort of alternate - I'm thinking speed/technical during the week and then longer run/bike on the weekend. Thanks - Tony.

That's Celsius right? No way am I am running in sub-zero Fahrenheit. So wait, if  0C is around 32F that's still too cold! I don't run outside under 40F or bike under 50F. Those days are what treadmills and trainers are made for!!!

2017-01-21 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Like and Dislike

BT needs to implement a "like" and "dislike" button.  Many post I agree but do not require a comment or someone has already commented. 

I'm not running at -4*F !!  I ran in the single digits once in New Mexico. It hurt my lungs!

Edit: The weather today was 50*F, cloudy, 20+ mph south winds, with 50% chance of rain. I went ahead and took off on my bike for my scheduled ride. It ended up mostly sunny, 63*F, 10-15 mph wind. For once it worked out!! Well, other than being WAY over dressed.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2017-01-21 1:40 PM
2017-01-21 2:56 PM

Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by mistercdub Hi All, Just checking in. I am really impressed with the workouts posted! Way to go. I have been continuing to work on improving my fitness and today was able to sign up at a gym that will allow me to begin my swim training! My first time in the pool will be tomorrow morning. So far all is going well and I think I will be targeting 3 sprints this year. One each in June (Motor City),July (Sanford Lake) and August (South Haven). I also have a 5 or 10 K planned for September and likely one for October. Keep up the great work all!

Carl,

How did the swim go? Don't expect too much the first few sessions. Swimming is hard just starting out but gets better pretty quickly.

So, funny story. You know you haven't been to the gym in a long time when you forget you need a lock! Duh! Anyway, I will get one this weekend and hit the pool Monday or Tuesday. Not expecting much from the early swims, just working on getting some form back and starting to build my Cardio. Good News! It is 50 in Michigan today so was able to go for an 8.5 mile ride outdoors. Felt really good to be outside and I have made some improvement from my indoor work.

Have a great weekend all!
2017-01-21 3:33 PM
in reply to: mistercdub

Chesterfield, Virginia
Hey everybody,

I'm glad I was able to join a mentoring/social group that is active! I did 16.7 miles today on the bike averaging 15.2 mph with 500 elevation gain. As expected after mile 10 or so my mph decreased quite a bit. I think I'll stick to around 10-15 mile bike rides because my sprint in April is just 12 miles.

Tomorrow will be my swim day, I think I am going to swim low intensity but further distance. I recently swam 400 meters (my sprint tri distance) in 7:30.

My step-father is training to run a half marathon and swears by fleet feet shoes and getting them custom fit for your feet. Does anyone have any experience with fleet feet and recommend going there to get my shoes? Or any other recommendations for shoes? I did get a blister on the inside of my right arch during my 4 mile run last week.

Also, I use strava to track all my workouts. I would love to follow some of you on there if you use it. My username is Geoffrey Loughrey from Richmond, VA. I found this forum to motivate me as well as following my friends/family on strava.

Thanks everyone and keep up the great work!!
Geoff
2017-01-21 4:31 PM
in reply to: Geoff29610

User image

Geoff.....congrats on a great ride today!!!!

I'm a big believer in making certain of having the right shoes....imo it's necessary to help improve performance and also help avoid injuries. I'm also very happy with our local fleet feet store; very knowledgable; great recommendations; so I agree with your step father. At least visit them or any other running specialty store so you get a correct fit.

2017-01-21 5:46 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
I usually go to the nearest fleet feet when I go purchase shoes to see what they suggest. They are pretty knowledgeable and it doesn't cost anything for them to do their analysis. Definitely worth checking out.

I got a 12 mile long run in today and about a half mile swim so definitely a solid training day. Just got my first garmin watch thanks to Todd, anyone use garmin connect? figured it may be cool to be able to check out others workouts there.
2017-01-22 1:42 PM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Time2TriHard

I usually go to the nearest fleet feet when I go purchase shoes to see what they suggest. They are pretty knowledgeable and it doesn't cost anything for them to do their analysis. Definitely worth checking out.

I got a 12 mile long run in today and about a half mile swim so definitely a solid training day. Just got my first garmin watch thanks to Todd, anyone use garmin connect? figured it may be cool to be able to check out others workouts there.

Great day of work and I'm glad to read that the watch is working out well for you. I'm on connect as well but not everything I do goes on there as of now. I do think though that it may be neat if you started a group that we could join, which would be an easier way to like and see what others are doing than going through BT logs.
2017-01-22 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by TonyAbbott Hi all, I did my first 'long' run of the year today. I took my daughter to work at 8:00am then forced myself to go for my first 10km of the year. It was pretty much the coldest run I've ever done. -4!!! I know that's not very cold to some of you, but here in London it doesn't often get below 0, so running in sub zero is a new experience for me, but I had decided during the week I was going to run whatever the temperature so I did!!! Now I off for a very hot long shower and breakfast, but before I go a quick question. In general is it best to improve endurance first and them work on speed, or work on speed first then endurance later in the training program or sort of alternate - I'm thinking speed/technical during the week and then longer run/bike on the weekend. Thanks - Tony.

That's Celsius right? No way am I am running in sub-zero Fahrenheit. So wait, if  0C is around 32F that's still too cold! I don't run outside under 40F or bike under 50F. Those days are what treadmills and trainers are made for!!!

My coldest run was -7F. It was a 5 mile run and one of my best runs. I ran faster in the cold and once the temp warmed up, my pace is better the the previous warm season. Surprisingly, I wasn't freezing. I had on a thin short sleeve, a cold ware long sleeve and my running windbreaker.
Now after the run, standing around would have been horribly. I hit my auto start on my car as I did my cool down run, jumped into a warm car and headed home to stretch in a warm house!
2017-01-22 4:15 PM

User image

Geoff I would try to train over distance for all of your events. Many find that swim fitness is improved greatly with higher intensity workouts. Early in season I swim distance and then move to intervals. For a sprint my training rides are about 20 miles, and long runs are about 6 to 7 once I get into season. I really think the long rus are important.

I'm on gamin connect. Just got the vivohr for my birthday. Still figuring it out but my profile is N8-P.

First solid week of training 2 swim, 2 bike, 3 runs, and 4 strength days

Edited by nrpoulin 2017-01-22 7:02 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41450 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38630 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."