BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2017-01-22 6:40 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Difference in bikes (training vs. racing)
Originally posted by Dominion

I ride a rode bike exclusively on my trainer.

Now you say that you race and train the rest of the year on a different bike, presumably your race bike? Sure the geometry is different but during those winter months when racing is still quite a ways away I see no problem with the rode bike on the trainer. Much of your winter work is just building the systems ie. increasing cardiovascular ability and muscular endurance. You can begin to dial in fit and position and comfort on your race bike as the weather warms up and you get closer to race season. Now riding your tri bike on the trainer is fine too, but like you I try to save the wear and tear and therefore the road bike is on the trainer for my winter work. I do most of my outdoor summer riding on a road bike too. It's just my preference and what I enjoy. I do one 20 mile -ish ride a week on the tri bike during the season. The rest is all road bike. Some would disagree with this approach and they ride their tri bikes exclusively. I think it is personal preference. Do spend enough training time on your tri bike to feel comfortable and at home on it though. Do some training bricks on it to make sure your legs are not cramping up or anything from the different angle/position of your road bike geometry.

I don't own a TT bike, so everything is done on a road bike. I have my old, cheap road bike on the trainer. I use my newer, more expensive road bike for all of my races and almost all of my outdoor training once the weather turns nice enough. Sounds like there isn't anything to worry about based on the differences in the set up of the two bikes. I have tried to make some adjustments to my old bike to more closely resemble the new bike. But there are fewer ways to adjust that cheap bike, so I am a little limited. Anyway, bottom line, I won't worry about it. Thanks!

2017-01-22 6:44 PM

User image

Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by TonyAbbott Hi all, I did my first 'long' run of the year today. I took my daughter to work at 8:00am then forced myself to go for my first 10km of the year. It was pretty much the coldest run I've ever done. -4!!! I know that's not very cold to some of you, but here in London it doesn't often get below 0, so running in sub zero is a new experience for me, but I had decided during the week I was going to run whatever the temperature so I did!!! Now I off for a very hot long shower and breakfast, but before I go a quick question. In general is it best to improve endurance first and them work on speed, or work on speed first then endurance later in the training program or sort of alternate - I'm thinking speed/technical during the week and then longer run/bike on the weekend. Thanks - Tony.

That's Celsius right? No way am I am running in sub-zero Fahrenheit. So wait, if  0C is around 32F that's still too cold! I don't run outside under 40F or bike under 50F. Those days are what treadmills and trainers are made for!!!

I've gone out to run in temps as low as 21F. Being from New England, we're at least more used to those kinds of temps than probably most on this group. But I still layer up pretty good. I'm not sure I want to be outside with temps any lower than that, even with having grown up in that kind of weather. Anything under 20 and I'm definitely hitting the treadmill! :-)
2017-01-22 6:50 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Originally posted by Time2TriHard

I usually go to the nearest fleet feet when I go purchase shoes to see what they suggest. They are pretty knowledgeable and it doesn't cost anything for them to do their analysis. Definitely worth checking out.

I got a 12 mile long run in today and about a half mile swim so definitely a solid training day. Just got my first garmin watch thanks to Todd, anyone use garmin connect? figured it may be cool to be able to check out others workouts there.

Great day of work and I'm glad to read that the watch is working out well for you. I'm on connect as well but not everything I do goes on there as of now. I do think though that it may be neat if you started a group that we could join, which would be an easier way to like and see what others are doing than going through BT logs.

I'm on Connect as well. Although, I don't use my Garmin to track my swimming. I don't train by HR, but I do like to check my numbers after my workouts. I also like the fact that I can see other aspects of my workouts like my splits or seeing how my pace changed over the course of the workout.
2017-01-22 8:01 PM
in reply to: #5208205

Busy weekend for me, had a good 1:30 spin with my local tri club then ran intervals after. Sunday was early yoga class then a easy paced 5 K.
I am going to sign up for trainer road this week.
Disappointed that I missed my swim class Saturday morning but was out late chasing cows Friday night??.

2017-01-22 8:30 PM

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
I made a garmin connect group called the dominion tri group. If you leave your garmin connect name I can add you if you wanna join
2017-01-22 8:36 PM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Time2TriHard I usually go to the nearest fleet feet when I go purchase shoes to see what they suggest. They are pretty knowledgeable and it doesn't cost anything for them to do their analysis. Definitely worth checking out. I got a 12 mile long run in today and about a half mile swim so definitely a solid training day. Just got my first garmin watch thanks to Todd, anyone use garmin connect? figured it may be cool to be able to check out others workouts there.

I use Garmin Connect, MapMyFitness, and of course BT.  I upload to Garmin then BT and MapMyFitness copy from there.  Send me an invite, I need some Garmin friends.

Garmin Connect: Helmo_Alkou

MapMyFitness: Monty Helmcamp

2017-01-23 1:59 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Hi,

Great idea with the group. I've just sent my request, the connect name is Tony_Abbott_Home

To be honest I only upload and then check my splits, but hopefully participating in the group will help me get more out of the stats.

Thanks - Tony.
2017-01-23 2:03 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

New user
Watford
Hi,

Just sent you a friend request on Garmin connect. As I mentioned in the post about the group, I dont really review my stats, but maybe building connections and allowing comparisons and sharing tips will help.

Regards - Tony.
2017-01-23 4:39 AM

Busy training weekend for me.
Spun Saturday with the triathlon club then ran intervals after. Sunday was early yoga class then a easy paced 5 K.

I am signing for trainer road this week so I can have workouts from home. Unfortunately I have missed my weekend swim class since before Christmas. Have to focus some more time on the pool asap.
2017-01-23 9:24 AM

User image

I made a garmin connect group called the dominion tri group. If you leave your garmin connect name I can add you if you wanna join

Garmin Connect: Rjchilds8
2017-01-23 1:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Just got my first garmin watch thanks to Todd, anyone use garmin connect?

I use it. I use my Garmin for just about everything, including my trainer rides anymore. No more having to deal with bike computer issues! Makes life simper! I just wish it would work on the treadmill, too, ha ha! I'm Burner2 there, as well.

Edited by burner2 2017-01-23 1:23 PM

2017-01-23 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Time2TriHard I made a garmin connect group called the dominion tri group. If you leave your garmin connect name I can add you if you wanna join

Nice! The Dominion  taking it's first steps to World Domination!

2017-01-23 8:54 PM

User image

Well I finally sat down and created my training plan. Still need to fill in some details about swim and bike workouts. I have 11 weeks to first sprint and 13 to HM. I worked it as a 12 week plan with this being week zero. Good thing because I have to work extra today. I went for a run 4, swim 2 and bike 2. Will drop a run on the busy weeks at work. The run plan is the BAA type 1 HM plan I used for my HM in the fall (started in week 7 then).

Having a plan gives me some motivation. Now time to register for some races

Nate
2017-01-24 3:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I just sent a request to join. Same user name as here Hunting Triathlete. Thanks for setting it up!
2017-01-24 8:25 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

I'm looking at getting a Garmin to join in the fun. I've never used one before, and to be honest, I'm a little hesitant at this point because of the pricing. I'm a guy working a couple jobs trying to pay for a wedding in the fall, so we'll see if I can scrape enough together somehow.
2017-01-24 8:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by joshwennes

I'm looking at getting a Garmin to join in the fun. I've never used one before, and to be honest, I'm a little hesitant at this point because of the pricing. I'm a guy working a couple jobs trying to pay for a wedding in the fall, so we'll see if I can scrape enough together somehow.

I have a 910 I would sell ya for a very reasonable price and in very good working order. Ask Time to Try, I just sold him a Fenix 2.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2017-01-24 8:31 AM

2017-01-24 2:18 PM

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Yea it was definately a good deal. I would definately reccomend checking out the watch to see if it will serve the purpose your looking for and don't care if it's a new watch.
2017-01-24 7:08 PM

Hi All,

See all the Gaminites out there and I am looking for some advice. I have an iWatch and like the basic features but the fitness stuff is less than good. Other problem, it's not waterproof. Was thinking about changing to a Garmin. Any thoughts on the Vivoactive HR vs the more triathlon specific versions? I really do not want to mess with a chest based HRM and am a true beginner. Do not see the need for the more advanced features at this time. Also, how is the experience linking to an iPhone? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!
2017-01-24 9:24 PM
in reply to: mistercdub

Question for the group

How do you continue to have motivation if there is one portion of triathlon that you don't like or don't really excel at? My situation is that I have a cycling background and that is really what I like to do in my spare time. I even enjoy (can stand) riding on the indoor trainer. If I have a few hours of free time I would always choose to go for a bike ride. My question is how do you get motivated for running? I personally have never been a runner and am very bad at it. I don't enjoy it but know that I need to do it.

Are there any tips or tricks? What would you tri veterans recommend?
2017-01-24 10:03 PM
in reply to: balm426

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Running is probably the event I enjoy the most but sometimes i just get in this funk where I don't want to run or when i do its just not fun. Sometimes I notice this when I have been doing the same route over and over, so I think mixing up routes and locations is helpful. Throwing in some intervals of fast and slow can help it not be as monotonous. I recently started attending group runs on Saturdays for my long run, which helps give me motivation to keep going even when I want to stop. So maybe joining a running club or finding a running partner may help. Lastly I think it is always easier to stay motivated with your training when you know what your training for. After I sign up for a race, I am able to keep myself accountable more instead of skipping workouts when I don't feel like doing them. So I would suggest maybe sign up for a 5k or 10k to give you a little extra motivation.
2017-01-25 5:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Time2TriHard Running is probably the event I enjoy the most but sometimes i just get in this funk where I don't want to run or when i do its just not fun. Sometimes I notice this when I have been doing the same route over and over, so I think mixing up routes and locations is helpful. Throwing in some intervals of fast and slow can help it not be as monotonous. I recently started attending group runs on Saturdays for my long run, which helps give me motivation to keep going even when I want to stop. So maybe joining a running club or finding a running partner may help. Lastly I think it is always easier to stay motivated with your training when you know what your training for. After I sign up for a race, I am able to keep myself accountable more instead of skipping workouts when I don't feel like doing them. So I would suggest maybe sign up for a 5k or 10k to give you a little extra motivation.

All great advice!

2017-01-25 10:33 AM

User image

Great advice from a couple members of the group! I echo the portion on signing up for a 5K or 10K.....I found it beneficial for me to sign up for a couple of sprints - gave me some "purpose" if you will for all the time in the pool I was doing. Having that goal is good motivation....at least that's my take. Also, I miss doing runs.........but the knees don't like that....

Good Luck!!

2017-01-25 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by balm426

Question for the group

How do you continue to have motivation if there is one portion of triathlon that you don't like or don't really excel at? My situation is that I have a cycling background and that is really what I like to do in my spare time. I even enjoy (can stand) riding on the indoor trainer. If I have a few hours of free time I would always choose to go for a bike ride. My question is how do you get motivated for running? I personally have never been a runner and am very bad at it. I don't enjoy it but know that I need to do it.

I was just like you for almost the entire time I have done triathlon up until a year and half ago. I always did just enough run training to ensure that I was good for my races, but not much else. I use to HAVE to have music when I ran and could not stop thinking about things while I ran. I honestly dreaded it some days. I had completed a Marathon, a couple Half Marathons, and numerous 5 K's but once again was not really enjoying it, it was more about the challenge. Now let me say before I continue that I still do not consider myself a runner. So I decided that I had never really put much into running and had therefore probably never really gave myself a chance to enjoy it and improve. I looked up running plans and came across Hal Higdon's 30 week Novice Supreme Marathon Plan. While I did not have a marathon scheduled I liked how it slowly progressed and how it would require me to run 4x a week (routine is the key to just about anything fitness related). So I did the first couple of weeks with my music and tried on every run to enjoy it and not drift into thoughts of what was wrong at work or in my life. The next couple of weeks I started to run almost exclusively without music, but noticed that my thoughts were more present then and continued to try to not let them dominate my run. The next couple of weeks I did not run with music, only thought of positive things / reflected and really just took in the surroundings when I was running (even went to different locations to add to this enjoyment). Now as all of this was going on I did sign up for a 5K and then signed up for a 10K, which helped to keep me moving because there was also a Race that I was working for. Now I feel out of place so to speak when I am training if I do not run at least 3x a week and really feel that it helps with my mood. I noticed that when all of it was going on my run times dropped, my effort seemed less, and my average heart rate lowered, which further made me want to continue running. I now would rather go for a run on most days than a bike ride, which I never thought I would say. O' ya and go to a running store and make sure you are wearing the right shoe for your running style, because if your feet and body aren't comfortable, you certainly won't be happy or stand a chance of enjoying it.
2017-01-25 7:47 PM

Chesterfield, Virginia
Originally posted by balm426

Question for the group

I always felt the same way about running. All the previous advice is very good but I think the most powerful thing is the community aspect. If you have someone to run with or a local running group it will motivate you more. I have some family and friends that are on strava and watching them run and seeing their average mile time motivates me to do better. Before I knew it I was running 3-4 miles when before I couldn't push myself past 2. That is one of the main reasons I wanted to join this community group.

Also, one thing I have been doing lately is listening to podcasts when I go for runs. If it is a topic or person that you find interesting, the time will fly by.

Best of luck,
Geoff
2017-01-26 2:49 AM
in reply to: #5211273

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
I agree with geoff! I started running when I was working with a xc team in college. Knowing how fast they could run, I really strived to get faster. One of the xc members is now a Boston qualifier after her first marathon. She wins almost every triathlon she enters and placed 6th at olympic age group nationals. Sreign everything she is able to do motivates me to improve.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41717 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38902 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."