BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2017-01-26 8:09 AM
in reply to: balm426

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed
Originally posted by balm426

Question for the group

How do you continue to have motivation if there is one portion of triathlon that you don't like or don't really excel at? My situation is that I have a cycling background and that is really what I like to do in my spare time. I even enjoy (can stand) riding on the indoor trainer. If I have a few hours of free time I would always choose to go for a bike ride. My question is how do you get motivated for running? I personally have never been a runner and am very bad at it. I don't enjoy it but know that I need to do it.

Are there any tips or tricks? What would you tri veterans recommend?

Sounds like I might be a little on the outside in my response, but I still have never gotten to the point where I look forward to a run. I've been at this running thing for about 6-7 years. When I first started, I would train for a few months for a 5K with my family members. But after the race, I mostly stopped running. This went on for a couple years before I got a little more serious about wanting to improve my times. I had a clear goal and I'm a "nose to the grind stone" kind of guy, so I made the effort to run more but still never liked it. I was able to make a decent jump in year 3, but then regressed.

But by that point, I had started to feel like I wanted to be more competitive in my times. I was already a highly competitive person, and loved participating in sports, but had never been serious about running. It is my desire to compete that has motivated me. Now, I've had a few age group wins or podium finishes in some smaller events, but I am far from an elite runner. But as I've gotten faster and seen improvements that I am happy with in my running, I've also come to terms with running. I don't hate running any more and once in a while I'll actually enjoy it. But most of the time I just look at it as a means to an end. If I want to compete, if I want to improve, if I want to keep my weight down, then I need to run. Who knows, with enough time maybe I'll actually come to look forward to and enjoy running. For now, me and running are just casual friends.

2017-01-26 10:27 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

One of the things I do is listen to motivational speeches while running or biking. It helps me tremendously. I may be feeling awfully against the idea when I start, but if I really tune in, I get my butt going! And I hated running before I started working out last a year and a half ago. Then I signed up for a 5k and fell in love with it. I'm looking for a running buddy myself to help too. All great advice folks!
2017-01-26 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by rjchilds8
Originally posted by balm426 Question for the group How do you continue to have motivation if there is one portion of triathlon that you don't like or don't really excel at? ... recommend?
Sounds like I might be a little on the outside in my response, but I still have never gotten to the point where I look forward to a run. ... For now, me and running are just casual friends.

My wife worked up to running 10K's with me. She wasn't fast and I'm usually training for long distance so the last thing I wanted is an injury hammering out a local 10K fund raiser. After a year or so she looked at me said, "Okay, I tried it. I did it. I do NOT like it." So we ride together, hike, kayak, mountain bike, etc. It's just like anything, not everyone is going to like it. I guess as long your still casual friends and still talking it's all good!

2017-01-26 8:07 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

I'm right there with you on that. My wife runs ultras and has loves running. We bike together some and she swims a good amount. I never run and am only just getting into it. I thought it would be a great idea to sign up for a triathlon to force myself to get into running but I'm having a hard time. We are doing the triathlon together. I have always wanted to compete in one so this is the time.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I guess I just need to step up and get into it more. I am going to try a few trail runs and see if that helps. I always prefer to be in the woods if at all possible. I have plenty of time before my race but may sign up for a shorter earlier event to push my progress.

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Originally posted by balm426 Question for the group How do you continue to have motivation if there is one portion of triathlon that you don't like or don't really excel at? ... recommend?
Sounds like I might be a little on the outside in my response, but I still have never gotten to the point where I look forward to a run. ... For now, me and running are just casual friends.

My wife worked up to running 10K's with me. She wasn't fast and I'm usually training for long distance so the last thing I wanted is an injury hammering out a local 10K fund raiser. After a year or so she looked at me said, "Okay, I tried it. I did it. I do NOT like it." So we ride together, hike, kayak, mountain bike, etc. It's just like anything, not everyone is going to like it. I guess as long your still casual friends and still talking it's all good!

2017-01-26 10:16 PM
in reply to: mistercdub

User image

Originally posted by mistercdub

Hi All,

See all the Gaminites out there and I am looking for some advice. I have an iWatch and like the basic features but the fitness stuff is less than good. Other problem, it's not waterproof. Was thinking about changing to a Garmin. Any thoughts on the Vivoactive HR vs the more triathlon specific versions? I really do not want to mess with a chest based HRM and am a true beginner. Do not see the need for the more advanced features at this time. Also, how is the experience linking to an iPhone? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

I just got the Garmin Vivoactive HR. I love it. I had been using the TomTom multisport and had lots of trouble with reliability. I got the watch as a gift and I am really glad I did. There are lots of functions and may take a little to get used to. The 910 and 920 are pretty expensive and will give you more data. Some of it may be difficult to interpret. The vivoactive gets you the basic swim metrics (Strokes, distance per stroke, strokes per lab, SWOLF), on the bike you can get speed and if you have a cadence sensor cadence. I don't have power, and haven't looked to see if compatible. The run gives you speed, lap speed, various splits, strides per min, and elevation data. Both bike and Run give you HR data. You can do custom zones or one of two defaults. I also use it when doing things like 21 day fix workouts and there are mode for most everything.

My wife has the Surge and I like this way better.

Nate
2017-01-26 10:38 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

If you look at it as something you have to do you will never really enjoy it. You may tolerate it or get better at it but you wont love it. Try running at different times and in different place. I find a nice run on a clear night to be a wonderful thing. Tough day at work, a nice introspective run sorts things out. I find it somewhat meditative. Rainy day go splash in the puddles like you are 8 years old. Hit a trail and explore someplace new. Join a group, and have some fun. Book a racecation at the beach or in the mountains and see a new place. Try to not listen to music so you can think. Slow down you may just be running to fast to enjoy it.

Nate

2017-01-27 12:27 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

New user
Watford
Hi all,

After 3 years of tri on a road bike using trainers I final bought my first pair of bike shoes!!!!
First thing to do this weekend is to change the pedals, and then try and do my own bike fit, see ifnincan get more comfortable.
I'll then try a turbo session, one I've done before, and compare the results. I'm interested in seeing the difference.

I'll post my findings, in case th we is anyone out there thinking of buying their first pair of shoes.

Tony.
2017-01-27 6:53 AM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Originally posted by TonyAbbott

Hi all,

After 3 years of tri on a road bike using trainers I final bought my first pair of bike shoes!!!!
First thing to do this weekend is to change the pedals, and then try and do my own bike fit, see ifnincan get more comfortable.
I'll then try a turbo session, one I've done before, and compare the results. I'm interested in seeing the difference.

I'll post my findings, in case th we is anyone out there thinking of buying their first pair of shoes.

Tony.

I'm in the same boat, Tony. I got a couple suggestions from Chris on brands/choices. I called my local bike shop at the beginning of the week to see if they would install the pedals if I bought them (since I was going to bring my bike in for a tune-up special they were having anyway). It does make me a bit leary. I haven't had a crash on my bike since the first day I got my cheapo $10 toe clips, and that one was pretty mild. My fear is that I'm going to crash, get hurt, and miss out on training and ruin my chances of being prepared for my first HIM. But I'm ready to face my fears, bit the bullet, and make the switch.
2017-01-27 6:58 AM

User image

My wife started running a few years back. She has now completed two half marathons and quite a few 5Ks. She tends to run with a partner more than I do. We don't really have the chance to run together because someone always needs to be home to watch the kids. As much as she is able to make the commitment to train enough for a half marathon, and even has moments like me where she can find a single run somewhat enjoyable, she largely dislikes running. She has started exercising again since the calendar turned over, but she mostly does gym-type strength training workouts. I have been casually and occasionally trying to nudge her towards doing a sprint, but I don't want to scare her off and I'm letting the idea percolate.
2017-01-27 9:10 AM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by TonyAbbott Hi all, After 3 years of tri on a road bike using trainers I final bought my first pair of bike shoes!!!! First thing to do this weekend is to change the pedals, and then try and do my own bike fit, see ifnincan get more comfortable. I'll then try a turbo session, one I've done before, and compare the results. I'm interested in seeing the difference. I'll post my findings, in case th we is anyone out there thinking of buying their first pair of shoes. Tony.

Right on! I would like to add on note from experience. Get a professional bike fit from a reputable triathlon shop. I was fitted twice after I bought my bike then I made adjustments over the next couple of years. Last year I sucked it up and paid for a full bike fit. The changes they made to my bike where HUGE compared to where I had them. They even measured my feet to find where to properly place my cleats. It also comes with a life time warrant so I can come back and get adjusted for free. I know it's a hard pill to swallow but the comfort difference was amazing.

Probably the first note should have been to practice clipping in and out a LOT till it comes naturally. Nothing sucks like falling over, lol.

2017-01-27 9:29 AM

Chesterfield, Virginia

Originally posted by TonyAbbott Hi all, After 3 years of tri on a road bike using trainers I final bought my first pair of bike shoes!!!! First thing to do this weekend is to change the pedals, and then try and do my own bike fit, see ifnincan get more comfortable. I'll then try a turbo session, one I've done before, and compare the results. I'm interested in seeing the difference. I'll post my findings, in case th we is anyone out there thinking of buying their first pair of shoes. Tony.

Right on! I would like to add on note from experience. Get a professional bike fit from a reputable triathlon shop. I was fitted twice after I bought my bike then I made adjustments over the next couple of years. Last year I sucked it up and paid for a full bike fit. The changes they made to my bike where HUGE compared to where I had them. They even measured my feet to find where to properly place my cleats. It also comes with a life time warrant so I can come back and get adjusted for free. I know it's a hard pill to swallow but the comfort difference was amazing.

Probably the first note should have been to practice clipping in and out a LOT till it comes naturally. Nothing sucks like falling over, lol.

I want to yell out that last statement about practice clipping in and out!!!!!!!! My first 5 or so rides using a road bike with clip in shoes, I fell at least once. Nothing worse than stopping at a stoplight and everyone watches you fall over. More serious note though, in Virginia there aren't any shoulders on the road so if you fall over it could be into a car....

2017-01-27 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I'm in the same boat, Tony. I got a couple suggestions from Chris on brands/choices. I called my local bike shop at the beginning of the week to see if they would install the pedals if I bought them (since I was going to bring my bike in for a tune-up special they were having anyway). It does make me a bit leary. I haven't had a crash on my bike since the first day I got my cheapo $10 toe clips, and that one was pretty mild. My fear is that I'm going to crash, get hurt, and miss out on training and ruin my chances of being prepared for my first HIM. But I'm ready to face my fears, bit the bullet, and make the switch.

I tell people all the time, you are going to fall at least once. And it will usually happen at the most embarrassing time possible. So just go ahead and come to terms with it. Because this is a function of stopping and having no further forward momentum, the only thing usually hurt is your ego. It is very unlikely to suffer any kind of real injury unless you fall into the path of a moving car or over a cliff or something. Just be mindful and get in the habit of unclipping in plenty of time before a stop. There is a little learning curve, but not a huge obstacle. Definitely worth it to learn IMO.!

2017-01-28 12:45 PM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

New user
Originally posted by Time2TriHard

I made a garmin connect group called the dominion tri group. If you leave your garmin connect name I can add you if you wanna join

My Garmin connect name is scottjjm99.

Scott
2017-01-28 12:58 PM
in reply to: Geoff29610

User image

New user

I want to yell out that last statement about practice clipping in and out!!!!!!!! My first 5 or so rides using a road bike with clip in shoes, I fell at least once. Nothing worse than stopping at a stoplight and everyone watches you fall over. More serious note though, in Virginia there aren't any shoulders on the road so if you fall over it could be into a car....

When I first got clip in shoes for my bike the bike shop recommended that I practice clipping in and out 10x on grass before I attempted on the road. I took his advice to heart and did it probable close to 20x before I was completely comfortable clipping in. First time I was clipped in the grass I turned into a "dead bug" as I fell and was still clipped in and rolled onto my back to keep the bike off the ground lol. It was brand new! Glad I was on the grass!

Scott
2017-01-28 8:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: Wide sized cycling shoes
So I went to my local bike shop today to try on some shoes and everything was super tight on my feet. I buy wide running shoes. When I asked about wide cycling shoes, the brands (Bontrager, Specialized) that the bike shop were selling didn't make wide sizes (or so he said). Does anyone have any suggestions? Even my online searches have turned up very little for wide cycling shoes (at least for under $200). The first pair he had that he could suggest that came in a wide size were $250. Considering I only paid about $800 for my bike, I wasn't sure I wanted to spend nearly 1/3 of that on shoes! Just saying. Anyone have any suggestions.

Edited by rjchilds8 2017-01-28 8:45 PM
2017-01-29 4:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Wide sized cycling shoes

So I went to my local bike shop today to try on some shoes and everything was super tight on my feet. I buy wide running shoes. When I asked about wide cycling shoes, the brands (Bontrager, Specialized) that the bike shop were selling didn't make wide sizes (or so he said). Does anyone have any suggestions? Even my online searches have turned up very little for wide cycling shoes (at least for under $200). The first pair he had that he could suggest that came in a wide size were $250. Considering I only paid about $800 for my bike, I wasn't sure I wanted to spend nearly 1/3 of that on shoes! Just saying. Anyone have any suggestions.

I can't speak to Wide or not wide but my first thought is did you only look at road bike shoes or did you also look at triathlon cycling shoes. Tri cycling shoes are usually constructed of a much softer material and mesh. So even if not actually listed as wide they have more give and are more comfortable. I have pretty wide and flat feet and have had no issues with fit or comfort from my pair of Pearl Izumi Tri Fly IV shoes. I bought them a half size to big like always and at times they almost feel to big. I can just say that there was a huge difference in fit / comfort from the pair of Louis Gareau bike shoes I started with. They are an older model now but they and the Tri Fly V models can be found for around 100.00 through on line shopping.

Also Tri cycling shoes are much easier to get on and off with simpler / larger Velcro straps to do so. Look at a pic of them and you'll see what I mean.

Just my .02

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2017-01-29 4:16 AM

2017-01-29 12:07 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete
Originally posted by rjchilds8 So I went to my local bike shop today to try on some shoes and everything was super tight on my feet. I buy wide running shoes. When I asked about wide cycling shoes, the brands (Bontrager, Specialized) that the bike shop were selling didn't make wide sizes (or so he said). Does anyone have any suggestions? Even my online searches have turned up very little for wide cycling shoes (at least for under $200). The first pair he had that he could suggest that came in a wide size were $250. Considering I only paid about $800 for my bike, I wasn't sure I wanted to spend nearly 1/3 of that on shoes! Just saying. Anyone have any suggestions.
I can't speak to Wide or not wide but my first thought is did you only look at road bike shoes or did you also look at triathlon cycling shoes. Tri cycling shoes are usually constructed of a much softer material and mesh. So even if not actually listed as wide they have more give and are more comfortable. I have pretty wide and flat feet and have had no issues with fit or comfort from my pair of Pearl Izumi Tri Fly IV shoes. I bought them a half size to big like always and at times they almost feel to big. I can just say that there was a huge difference in fit / comfort from the pair of Louis Gareau bike shoes I started with. They are an older model now but they and the Tri Fly V models can be found for around 100.00 through on line shopping. Also Tri cycling shoes are much easier to get on and off with simpler / larger Velcro straps to do so. Look at a pic of them and you'll see what I mean. Just my .02

This X1000!

Just buy the Pearl Izumi's and you won't regret it. I don't get them a half size too big because I am always riding sockless. They are the best cycling shoes hands down that I have ever owned. 

2017-01-29 3:46 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete
Originally posted by rjchilds8 Anyone have any suggestions.
Just my .02

This X1000!

Just buy the Pearl Izumi's and you won't regret it. I don't get them a half size too big because I am always riding sockless. They are the best cycling shoes hands down that I have ever owned. 

I literally just got my next pair of Tri Fly 5's in a mail from Amazon. $99.

2017-01-29 10:01 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
The last 2 weeks have been busy days, sick days, and insomnia days. I have been alternating between long and short walks.
Planning to swim tomorrow but dealing with a swollen ankle right now.

I have a Garmin 310XT but don't use it much since I no longer run. I have a separate bike computer I use before I got the Garmin.
A friend gave me her old Garmin bike connectors. Hopefully it works so I can switch and just use one device.
I stop using Garmin Connect but my watch updates it when I use it.

I am dreading and excited to ride this coming spring. I have a hybrid that I added handle bars, road bike tires and combo pedals.
I like the combo pedals because it gives me an option to clip in on one side and flat pedal on the other. Mine uses SPX (SPD?) clip on which are on mountain bike shoes, I have Cannondale bike shoes. The added benefit of my bike shoes is that they use the same clips that spin bikes use. I can clip in when in spinning class. I starting doing it after suffering knee pain after spin class and the instructor suggested I clip in to keep my knees straight. T worked.

I am looking at some summer rides as a goal to work towards. .
2017-01-30 8:49 AM
in reply to: Lovey

Chesterfield, Virginia
Hello everyone,

I listen to podcasts from time to time but it hit me....why don't I start listening to triathlon podcasts? Does anyone listen to triathlon related podcasts? If so, please let me know which you prefer!

Thanks,
Geoff
2017-01-30 11:58 AM
in reply to: #5208205

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Yesterday I competed in the indoor tri I talked about a couple weeks ago. The format was 15 minutes in each discipline with a 10 minute break in t1 and 5 minute in t2. They used a formula to determine placing. This was done by setting a distance in each discipline at a mark of 1.0 and getting percentage pts for your actual distance. Ex. 2.5 miles was for the run so a 2 mile run would of got .8pts for the run.

I had a pretty strong start in the swim compared to the other swimmers in my heat but just didn't have the endurance to maintain in for 15 minutes. Only got 500yd for 15 minutes but was honestly better than I expected.

Part of the t1 time was spent setting up and adjusting the spin bike. I felt like I was bouncing way too much time on the bike but was still able to get in 6.1 miles on the spin bike which was good enough to give me the 2nd best male mark on the bike. Kinda suprising since I havent touched a bike since december

For the run I sat the treadmill just under 7 minute mile for the first mile and slowly increased the speed for the 2nd mile. Still had a little extra time at the end so went back to 7min mile for 30 seconds then amped in up to around 6 min mile for the last 20 or so. Ended up runnine 2.17 miles, good enough for 1st overall. I was particularly happy with the run, I had ran 12 miles the day before.

Even though I had pretty high marks for the bike and run, my swim kept me from placing in the top 3 males to get an award. It was a good opportunity to see what I need to work on. Still have a lot of work to do with swimming but felt pretty good about the other 2 disciplines.

2017-01-30 2:42 PM

Chesterfield, Virginia

Yesterday I competed in the indoor tri I talked about a couple weeks ago. The format was 15 minutes in each discipline with a 10 minute break in t1 and 5 minute in t2. They used a formula to determine placing. This was done by setting a distance in each discipline at a mark of 1.0 and getting percentage pts for your actual distance. Ex. 2.5 miles was for the run so a 2 mile run would of got .8pts for the run.

I had a pretty strong start in the swim compared to the other swimmers in my heat but just didn't have the endurance to maintain in for 15 minutes. Only got 500yd for 15 minutes but was honestly better than I expected.

Part of the t1 time was spent setting up and adjusting the spin bike. I felt like I was bouncing way too much time on the bike but was still able to get in 6.1 miles on the spin bike which was good enough to give me the 2nd best male mark on the bike. Kinda suprising since I havent touched a bike since december

For the run I sat the treadmill just under 7 minute mile for the first mile and slowly increased the speed for the 2nd mile. Still had a little extra time at the end so went back to 7min mile for 30 seconds then amped in up to around 6 min mile for the last 20 or so. Ended up runnine 2.17 miles, good enough for 1st overall. I was particularly happy with the run, I had ran 12 miles the day before.

Even though I had pretty high marks for the bike and run, my swim kept me from placing in the top 3 males to get an award. It was a good opportunity to see what I need to work on. Still have a lot of work to do with swimming but felt pretty good about the other 2 disciplines.

That is really cool to be able to do it all indoors. I think you are officially the first one to complete a triathlon in this group in 2017.....or at least the first to post about it.

Congrats!
Geoff
2017-01-30 3:20 PM
in reply to: #5211963

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Yea I prefer the outdoors as far as the bike and run is concerned but it wasn't too bad considering I normally hate treadmills. I kinda liked the idea of the spin bikes because it equalizes the playing field instead of whoever has the nicest bike having a distinct advantage. It was nice to just get out there and compete instead of just train. I actually got interviewed for a newspaper after I finished so that was neat.
2017-01-30 6:25 PM

User image

New user

Nice Work! I have an indoor race towards the end of March that starts with a 20k stationary ride, 5k treadmill run, and 500m swim in that order. I look forward to that one a good indicator to where I am for race fitness. I really need to hit the pool. Haven't made it there yet.... February is a new month and should work better for me to get to the pool.

Scott
2017-01-31 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Allergies!

Instead of my weekly long bike ride before I go on shift tomorrow I ended up at the doctors office all morning with a sinus infection.  Had a good swim and run yesterday and felt fine until around 7pm.  It really took the wind out of my sails! 

Edit: I guess I'll post numbers since I'm done for the month.

Swim: 5h 39m - 9.77 Mi

Bike: 11h 29m - 180.99 Mi

Run: 7h 26m - 43.17 Mi

Strength: 5h 35m

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2017-01-31 1:02 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 41691 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38870 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."