General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Keto help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-29 10:44 AM

User image

Subject: Looking for Keto help
Anyone here eat Keto? I'm looking for some personalized help if possible.

2016-12-30 10:26 AM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Looking for Keto help

Why are you considering a ketogenic diet?  Do you have a health condition, such as diabetes, that you're trying to manage, or is there another reason?

My recommendations would be different depending on why you want to do it.

2016-12-30 10:29 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

I'm looking to lose some weight and lean out and I've seen some high end triathletes use the Keto diet. No medical conditions or anything like that. I can provide more information if it'd be of any assistance.
2016-12-30 2:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ventura, California

First off I am not a doctor so my recommendations/advice on the subject is to be taken with a proverbial grain of salt.

Keep in mind that 'high end' athletes tend to have a established group of dietitians and doctors from which to get advisement and supervision. 

Ketosis is a emergency survival function of the body and is not something you want to use as a 'diet' to lose weight. To get your body into ketosis you need to reduce your carb intake to typically less then 30-40grams per day for days on end. To put that into perspective that is 1 can of coke (39g). Now your brain is the largest consumer of glucose which comes from carbs. So already you have a issue of starving your brain. But you also want to train and workout, well your body needs carbs to create glucose for energy production. Your body will also start cannibalizing lean muscle mass as well. So unless you want to fall into shambles fairly quickly and sabotage your health. I think you should leave the whole ketogenic 'diet' thing alone.

I would suggest intelligent calorie restriction. Trust me I know how hard this is. I went from 260lbs to 170lbs. I started with a ketogenic type of start living on grapefruit, salad and salmon, I lost weight so fast Oprah's head would have spun around. As a result I became incredibly weak and skinny fat. Rebuilding muscle in your 40's is difficult at best.

I have been stuck at 170lb and 20% body fat for about 2 years now. During training this year I started counting calories and cutting carbs, I dropped down to 162lbs, still at 20% body fat, so all I did was lose 8lbs of lean muscle mass.

I then went the other way, I started upping my protein intake and doing more body weight exercises, I jumped up to 180lbs and 23% body fat! So I gained about 4-6lbs of muscle and the rest body fat, most likely from excessive protein intake.

My ideal body composition would be 10-13% body fat at around 160lbs. But at 46yrs old Its going to be difficult and require some serious nutrition workmanship.

So I am going to work on creating a calorie deficit on non-workout days, and then only fuel my body as much as it needs to make up on training days. So for me that might look like a base of 1800 calories, and then 600 cal for each hour of workouts. that 600 number could be less or more depending on intensity but I think it is a good baseline to get started with. Then as the weight drops, the base calorie number will drop. To stick with this on a daily basis over an extended amount of time is going to be difficult at best. 

Ketosis is a short cut that will do more harm then good. I personally would avoid it, but to each their own. Hope this has been a helpful insight.

Ketones are produced when the body burns protein and fat, rather than sugar, for energy. Ketosis can occur in people who have diabetes, are starving, or drink too much alcohol.
Symptoms often develop quickly. They may include excessive thirst, frequent urination, nausea, belly pain, fatigue, shortness of breath, fruity-scented breath, and confusion.

If you don't have enough protein or fat, your going to burn muscle, and if you have too much protein or fat, your going to get fatter. Think about it, this isnt something to play with as a fad diet. Is this how you intend to train for a Triathlon???

Also since we are on the subject, I like to review this video every so often to remind myself how the metabolic process works.

Edited by rjcalhoun 2016-12-30 2:43 PM
2016-12-30 3:45 PM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

It's not necessarily something I'm looking at as a fad. From July 2015 until April of 2016 I lost 100 lbs and gained a bunch of muscle mass. I went from 50%+ body fat down to a low of 13%(probably around 16 now, not sure). I was 210 pounds and 13% body fat. This was mainly weight lifting with cardio thrown in a few days a week. Then I feel in love with endurance sports. My weight loss was a strict nutrition regimen, calorie based as opposed to nutrient based. In the past 2 months, I've rebounded up about 20 pounds. I want to fix that, and jump start my metabolism again. Many of the online resources I found suggested a 14 day keto, and maybe that's not the way to go about it. I saw this and that it encourages the body to burn fat as opposed to carbs for energy. That's something I'd like. I'm not a fan of the amount of processed and enriched food out there and want to find something to help myself and after then, my family. Perhaps this isn't the best option.
2016-12-31 10:13 AM

User image

Elite

I sent you a message regarding Keto, cheers!

2017-08-17 4:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
I started a ketogenic diet about 4 or 5 months ago. I workout around 2 hours per day and take a complete rest day every 10 days or 2 weeks when I'm really tired. I didn't do it to lose weight but for the benefits it provides such as increased HGH, longevity and overall feel good. I was 77kg for 1m82 (6 feet) and I'm now around 72 kilos. I lost most of the weight around my belly and feel great. I don't intend to stop eating like this because I feel great and my performance as an athlete has not suffered. Of course, the first week of doing keto you feel like caca but after that your body adapts and you feel great. During that first adaptation week I worked out but I just did easy runs and weight workouts. To the person that said they were eating fruits when they did keto then they didn't do it right because you're not supposed to eat fruits on a keto diet as they raise your insulin level with the sugar that's in them.

People will judge you and say you shouldn't eat like this or that when they haven't done the proper research. Eating carbs is not particularly healthy and yet most people eat like this.Teach your body how to use fat as fuel and you will be able to go much longer without eating (I also do intermittent fasting) and when you workout you won't need to feed your body with sugar aka carbs.
2017-08-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: goran007

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by goran007 ....To the person that said they were eating fruits when they did keto then they didn't do it right because you're not supposed to eat fruits on a keto diet as they raise your insulin level with the sugar that's in them.  

My thoughts exactly.  I know people that have done Ketosis right and I know people that said they were doing Ketosis but I know they didn't have a clue because they eat fruit, do gels and sports drinks on 6 mile runs or 20 mile bike rides, etc.  

I totally respect people that follow a strict high fat low carb diet.  It take a lot of commitment to do that. There are benefits to the diet.  The change in body composition being one of the notable ones. 

Defiantly do your research first.  The people that don't call in on Ketosis are wasting their time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Keto help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First timer looking for help

Started by wcummin1
Views: 1124 Posts: 14

2008-07-21 12:40 AM cadreamer

Help a BTer and Smell/Look good too!! Pages: 1 2

Started by 1st Timer in NY
Views: 3096 Posts: 33

2007-10-24 5:44 PM Freeswimmingfish

Looking for help with race details, please

Started by mcbill98
Views: 697 Posts: 10

2006-08-18 3:18 PM mcbill98

Looking for help counting calories

Started by hikergerb
Views: 879 Posts: 10

2005-07-02 12:07 PM Mekarual

Looking for help in San Diego

Started by jtopin
Views: 590 Posts: 2

2005-05-09 1:02 PM madcow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.