BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2016-12-30 11:36 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN)

GROUP FOCUS: I invite folks wanting just GENERAL guidance but would also welcome more experienced athletes that want to take the plunge into LONG COURSE racing 

NAME: Jim Kelley - Birkierunner  

STORY: I’m a 56 year old wildlife biologist that has been involved with endurance sports for over 40 years. In high school I was co-captain of the x-c team, ski team, and track team. After racing in college a little bit I spent many years just doing maintenance running mileage with no racing goals in mind, with an occasional 10k – I basically wasted my 20s and 30s as far as competing. A friend of mine convinced me to race the 51 km American Birkebeiner x-c ski race in 1997 and that is when my endurance racing kicked back into high gear. I ran my first marathon in 1998, and qualified for and ran Boston in 1999. I’ve done a ton of road racing over the years, 10 marathons, with 8 of them being sub-3 hours (2:51 PR), one 50 mile,a 50k and a 100k ultra. I still race x-c skiing in the winter. I got a little bored with marathons, and did my first triathlon (Olympic) in 2005 (actually podium-ed in my AG on the first try!). I followed that up with a half-ironman a month later and did Ironman Wisconsin the next year. I have 8 Ironman finishes so far with a 10:20 PR (6th AG).  I’ve been fortunate to be able to compete at a fairly high level even at the ripe old age of 56.

FAMILY STATUS: Married and have a 8-year old step-son, so I'm familiar with the challenges of training while considering family time.

CURRENT TRAINING: My training that past few years has been focused primarily on the Ironman distance but I race frequently at the Olympic and half-ironman distance.  In 2017 I will be focusing a little more on ultra trail races at the 100K and 100 mile distances with the intent of qualifying for entry into the 2018 Western States 100.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm currently registered for Ironman Wisconsin in September.  However, I will be focusing a little more on the Bandera 100K, Bighorn 100 miler and a fall 100 mile trail run.     

2016 RACES:  I took a year off from Ironman racing in 2016

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight loss has not been an issue for me. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  After being involved with endurance sports for so many years I think I’ve experienced it all…training, racing, injuries, success, disappointments (sometimes huge), time management, coping with lots of business travel, etc. Hopefully my experiences can benefit someone that is just starting out, or someone who has some experience but wants to get to the next level. I am a certified USAT Level I Coach and recently completed the IRONMAN Certified Coach certification.  In 2017 I will also acquire my USA Track and Field certification.  I also own my own coaching company, PR-Endurance.  I have been a BT mentor many times in the past and have found that the group’s success depends entirely on how much the members participate.

2017-01-05 3:55 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

, Virginia
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN)
Hi Jim,

I'm interested in joining the group. Please advise on next steps. Thanks.

Brandon
2017-01-05 10:04 PM
in reply to: bmorgan58

User image

Pro

Hey Brandon.  Thanks for the interest.  They haven't put my thread into the live mentor forum yet but when they do I'll give next steps.

2017-01-08 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am also racing IM WI this year (2017). :-)
2017-01-09 12:01 PM
in reply to: amymengel

User image

Pro

Happy New Year Amy.  Glad to hear that you're doing WI in September.  Are you joining the group or just touching bases?

2017-01-16 3:43 PM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Hey Jim!!!

This is my third year doing tri's. I attempted Racine 70.3 last year which unfortunately became about half that! Looking to do try Racine again this year along with my first full marathon 3 months after that. A few sprint tri's sprinkled in throughout the year along with numerous other road races. Swimming is my strongest discipline, biking I can do, need help with running...lots of help with running :D I think your group would be a good fit, what are your thoughts??

Thanks!

2017-01-16 6:24 PM
in reply to: Rooster519

User image

Pro

We just went live folks.  For those that have already expressed interest in joining the group please tell us a bit about yourself using the general format below:

NAME: 

YOUR STORY: 

FAMILY STATUS: 

CURRENT TRAINING: 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 

2016 RACES: 

WEIGHT LOSS: 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR GROUP MEMBER: 

2017-01-16 6:27 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rooster519 Hey Jim!!! This is my third year doing tri's. I attempted Racine 70.3 last year which unfortunately became about half that! Looking to do try Racine again this year along with my first full marathon 3 months after that. A few sprint tri's sprinkled in throughout the year along with numerous other road races. Swimming is my strongest discipline, biking I can do, need help with running...lots of help with running :D I think your group would be a good fit, what are your thoughts?? Thanks!

If you're looking to mix in road races (including a marathon) with your triathlon training I think our group would be a great fit for you.  I came from a competitive running background to triathlon and am now starting to focus on ultras as well, so I can share my experiences.  Tell us a little more about yourself using the format above.  Welcome!

2017-01-17 8:50 AM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
NAME: Michael Giehm - Rooster519

YOUR STORY: I'm a 39 (almost 40) year old commercial door sales rep, basically, I sit in an office and read blue prints all day. Growing up, sports was something we just did. Basketball and soccer throughout high school, some inter collegiate football for a year in college and even a little running for fun. After 24 I became a father and traveled for work. I spent most of my 20's and 30's working and drinking. When I bought my first house at the age of 34 it took me about a year to really become a heavy drinker. Drinking most nights until I would pass out. At 36 I knew I needed a change. I quit drinking, and joined my sister on a few short training runs. She had been working with a personal trainer to loose over 150 lbs by this point, it was inspiring to say the least. We ran together for the next year, when she just stopped. By then I was hooked and made the commitment that I would do an Ironman by the time I turned 50. Did my first tri in May of 2015, the swim temp was 52...worst swim ever. Second tri July of that year, much better showing.

FAMILY STATUS: Currently I have a lovely 15 year old daughter, whom I quite sure adds more stress to my life than any amount of training ever will. I also am engaged to a wonderful 35 year old endurance runner. We are scheduled to tie the knot October 14, 2017, exciting I know

CURRENT TRAINING: As of now I'm using one of the standard training plans from BT. It is the Winter maintenance plan that is Run Focused. I got some help from another member here, who is a personal trainer, to add some weights to my training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: There is a slew of races lined up for this year. My first is an indoor tri in Muscatine Iowa in 12 days. Then I have a Ragnar in May along with Tri by Knight (sprint) June brings Pigman Sprint Tri (my fiance's first tri) and a week later QC Tri. July is Racine 70.3. September will be my first full marathon, Quad Cities Marathon. There will be other shorter races in there, 5 and 10 k's but those are the important ones.

2016 RACES: A number of short distance tri's, most notable was the QC Tri where I got 3rd in the Clydesdale division, hoping for better this year Racine 70.3 which turned into a duathlon of around 44 miles and the Quad Cities Half Marathon.

WEIGHT LOSS: This is something I have always struggled with. Coming from a family of large people we were taught to eat for reward. I've definitely had to change my thinking a lot on this. When I really started running and taking it seriously I was around 310. Last year I dropped to 240 and gained 20 back through the holidays. Currently I'm sitting at 251. Like I said, this is something I struggle with.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR GROUP MEMBER: This is probably the hardest question for me to answer, cause honestly I don't know if I will be. What I do know is that I'm driven, I have my goals, and I WILL find a way to achieve them. This year my goals are a little bigger than they have been since first starting endurance sports. I'm always looking for help being accountable to my training and making sure I am giving as much as I should.

Looking forward to seeing the progress we all make throughout the next couple of months!!!
2017-01-17 11:57 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rooster519 NAME: Michael Giehm - Rooster519 

FAMILY STATUS: Currently I have a lovely 15 year old daughter, whom I quite sure adds more stress to my life than any amount of training ever will. I also am engaged to a wonderful 35 year old endurance runner. We are scheduled to tie the knot October 14, 2017, exciting I know  

Congratulations!!

2017-01-17 12:38 PM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by Rooster519 NAME: Michael Giehm - Rooster519 

Congratulations!!

Thank you!!!

2017-01-18 10:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Virginia
Name: TriathlonnDad

My Story: Father of 3, will be 35 years old this year, no real background in any of the sports except for running back in high school. Did some weight lifting for a couple years and a year ago got in to doing triathlon. Always been athletic and fit, just want something to work for instead of just pounding weights in the gym. After a few sprints and an Olympic, I have my sights on long distance racing. I want to show my kids the value of hard work. Setting goals and working hard is necessary to get what you want in life.

Current Training: 6-8 hours per week. In the build 1 phase of training. Just working on aerobic stuff, building fitness before I get in to the high intensity stuff. Swim 2 X week, Run 2 X week, Bike 2 X week with 1 day of rest. Each session lasts about an hour. Mix in some weight training 1 X week.

2017 Races: Kinetic Half May 13 at Lake Anna, Virginia. No other races scheduled yet. I want to do IM Maryland in October, but I'm not sure if I can get the hours in this summer.

Last Year Races: Smithfield spring, Salute Sprint, Montclair Sprint, Culpeper Oly, South Riding Sprint, Trifecta Spring (SC) - all in Virginia.

No weight loss - I eat a lot to make sure I don't lose any weight.

I would be a good fit for the group because I am coachable and open to new ideas and strategies. Hard work and determination will help me achieve what I want. I don't have superior strengths in any one sport, but self motivation will help me get to where I want to go. I am responsive and look forward to hearing other success stories. Hopefully, I can be on the other side at some point and help others with their triathlon goals in the future.

Edited by TriathlonnDad 2017-01-18 10:52 AM
2017-01-23 8:34 AM
in reply to: TriathlonnDad

User image

Pro

How was training for everyone this weekend?  Start firing away with questions if you have any...and remember the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.....

2017-01-24 8:38 AM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Training has been good so far. Biking seems to be slow, but that's the same feeling I always get this time of year when I want more. Dealing with my hips a little rotated when running and it's causing some hamstring issues on my left side. Stretch and roll after my longer run Saturday, seemed to help. Went for a short 3 mile run last night. Breathing was labored but held a 10:40 pace. Slow even for me but I'll take it!!! Got in the pool this morning with the local Masters Swim team, always fun training with other people. Did a couple of sprint sessions, WOW, that hurt lol. It was a good hurt though. Any tips for improving breathing while running??? I have tried different breathing rhythms, I've slowed down and run at a lower heart rate. Breathing usually seems to be the problem, just not a lot of endurance in my lung capacity when running. Hope everyone is having a good week!!

Edited by Rooster519 2017-01-24 8:39 AM
2017-01-25 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I'd like to join the mentor group. Here is my bio:

Name: stevesflyshop/Steve

Story: I am a 47 year old self employed attorney who was never a runner, and it wasn't until I turned 40 that I decided it was time to make a change. I lost a bunch of weight and ran a lot of different races. I tried a sprint triathlon and I was hooked. I then started doing longer distance events, completed 5 marathons and IM Boulder 70.3 in 2013. I was doing good up until the spring of 2015, when my wife and I decided to take a break and work on the house. Then I broke my wrist pretty badly and was out of commission for about a month. During the recovery, I ate a lot of fig newtons, which didn't help the weight loss a bit. My wife had knee replacement last summer and I didn't do much besides work, take care of her and the animals. The break was only supposed to be a short break from daily training, which turned into about a year and a half. Since then, I have put back on most of the weight I lost and my fitness level has tanked. I started back at square 1 about 3 weeks ago and am slowly building the fitness back. I've also gotten back on the weight loss regime.

Family status: Married for 7 years and we have more dogs than I care to admit to in a public forum, cows, chickens, ducks and goats. Our daughter just had our first grandson this summer as well.

Current training: I've just been running/walking 4 days a week to get the fitness level started. My times are slow and the endurance is very low, but I've been seeing improvements. I have not started biking yet mostly because my bike trainer is buried in the garage behind 2 motorcycles and a dirt bike. That's this weekends project. I'm still trying to settle on a training plan. I have ordered Finks HIM book, and will probably follow it once I get some endurance built up.

My races this year: I have planned to do a half marathon in April as kind of a test run to see if I am serious about getting back into shape and where my fitness level is at. It's a fun race to do, very low key and 30 miles from our house. If that goes as I expect, I will aim for the Boulder HIM in August. Getting back in to shape for Boulder is my goal, but I'm also realistic that I have a lot of work to do and weight to lose, so it may not happen this year. There are a bunch of other local races nearby that I may do as target races to see how I am improving, but nothing serious. There is also a Marathon in September that I've registered for (we bought a foundation membership which is good for 5 years worth of races in the Omaha Marathon).

Weight loss: As I stated, I have a lot of weight to lose to get back to racing shape. Ideally, I'd like to lose 75 pounds by August, but realistically 50 will probably be a stretch. I have been counting calories like a Nazi, and have been seeing a steady decline on the scale.

I was in a mentor group that helped me through Boulder in 2013, and I realize that accountability is something that helps me stay on track and not lose focus.

Steve
2017-01-25 12:36 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Originally posted by stevesflyshop

During the recovery, I ate a lot of fig newtons, which didn't help the weight loss a bit.

I love fig newtons too!!!!! LOL. Congrats on the grandson, that's always fun!!!

2017-01-25 4:44 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Pro

Originally posted by stevesflyshop I'd like to join the mentor group. Here is my bio: Name: stevesflyshop/Steve

Welcome Steve!!

2017-01-26 10:06 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rooster519 Any tips for improving breathing while running??? I have tried different breathing rhythms, I've slowed down and run at a lower heart rate. Breathing usually seems to be the problem, just not a lot of endurance in my lung capacity when running. 

As you continue to train your entire cardio-vascular system will become more efficient at delivering and utilizing oxygen to/by your muscles.  Your heart's stroke volume increases which means you can transport more blood for a given period of time, capillary density in muscles increase which also delivers more oxygen for use by muscles. When you train at an intensity that demands more oxygen than your CV system can deliver (given your current fitness level) you experience that out of breath feeling.  Its a gradual process so you just have to be patient.

2017-01-26 10:13 AM

User image

, Virginia
After a few weeks of serious training after the holidays I can feel better fitness in all sports. I feel like my legs are holding up better as I get through a longer run, bike and swim. I'm afraid of amping up the intensity too soon because I suffered a foot injury in December by going to hard on 3 mile treadmill run. But I don't want to lose the opportunity to build some fitness when I feel like I can go an extra 10-15 laps, 1-2 miles or 20 minutes on the bike.

Right now all training is done on a treadmill and indoor trainer. With a half distance in mid May I think I have the time to gradually build up to the distance I need, but when do I amp up the intensity?
2017-01-26 11:22 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriathlonnDad After a few weeks of serious training after the holidays I can feel better fitness in all sports. I feel like my legs are holding up better as I get through a longer run, bike and swim. I'm afraid of amping up the intensity too soon because I suffered a foot injury in December by going to hard on 3 mile treadmill run. But I don't want to lose the opportunity to build some fitness when I feel like I can go an extra 10-15 laps, 1-2 miles or 20 minutes on the bike. Right now all training is done on a treadmill and indoor trainer. With a half distance in mid May I think I have the time to gradually build up to the distance I need, but when do I amp up the intensity?

Sorry about the injury.  Are you sure the injury was due to simply going too hard on the treadmill?  What do you mean by too hard?

Ramping up training after an injury is a very individual thing, as well as being dependent on the nature and severity of the injury.  But, I would urge caution in adding additional volume/intensity too soon depending on how your foot feels. 

If injury wasn't part of the equation, I would be telling you that you should be introducing intensity now...in a progressive manner....rather than waiting until you have built up more volume.  Right now I've got my athletes doing shorter but more intense bike workouts to help raise their Critical Power (akin to FTP - functional threshold power).  This is especially attractive to athletes during winter when riding outdoors may be infeasible. I want them to enter spring with higher CP that will set them up well for increased volume as their target races approach.

2017-01-27 6:04 AM

User image

, Virginia
I think the foot injury also was caused by my running shoes, they were about 9 months old. The foam was probably done so I bought new ones. I'm just gun shy b/c the injury flared up right after a hard run on the treadmill. It wasn't long, just 3 miles, but if I remember correctly I was doing some hills/sprints combined.

The foot feels fine now. I've been running 10-11 miles per week for the past 3 weeks - 2 run workouts per week.

Can you give me an example of how I should increase my intensity? Here is my current work out schedule:

Monday - Run 5 miles at 9:20 pace, lift weights for 20 minutes
Tuesday - Swim 1600 yards, moderate just to get through the distance, only 1-2 breaks
Wednesday - Bike 75 minutes at 18 - 20 mph
Thursday - Run 5 miles at 9:20 pace
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Swim 45 minutes, Spin Class, high intensity for 1 hour
Sunday - Run, 6 miles at 9:20 pace, lift weights

2017-01-27 3:03 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriathlonnDad I think the foot injury also was caused by my running shoes, they were about 9 months old. The foam was probably done so I bought new ones. I'm just gun shy b/c the injury flared up right after a hard run on the treadmill. It wasn't long, just 3 miles, but if I remember correctly I was doing some hills/sprints combined. The foot feels fine now. I've been running 10-11 miles per week for the past 3 weeks - 2 run workouts per week. Can you give me an example of how I should increase my intensity? Here is my current work out schedule: Monday - Run 5 miles at 9:20 pace, lift weights for 20 minutes Tuesday - Swim 1600 yards, moderate just to get through the distance, only 1-2 breaks Wednesday - Bike 75 minutes at 18 - 20 mph Thursday - Run 5 miles at 9:20 pace Friday - Rest Saturday - Swim 45 minutes, Spin Class, high intensity for 1 hour Sunday - Run, 6 miles at 9:20 pace, lift weights

What intensity level does that 9:20 run pace correspond with?  Hard to say how to schedule an increase in intensity without knowing what that 9:20 represents....zone 1, 2...5? or Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) 1 easy or 10 all out?

2017-01-29 6:38 AM

User image

, Virginia
I would say its zone 3 and on a scale of 6 out of 10. I guess this is where a heart rate monitor is helpful.
2017-01-29 2:26 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriathlonnDad I think the foot injury also was caused by my running shoes, they were about 9 months old. The foam was probably done so I bought new ones. I'm just gun shy b/c the injury flared up right after a hard run on the treadmill. It wasn't long, just 3 miles, but if I remember correctly I was doing some hills/sprints combined. The foot feels fine now. I've been running 10-11 miles per week for the past 3 weeks - 2 run workouts per week. Can you give me an example of how I should increase my intensity? Here is my current work out schedule: Monday - Run 5 miles at 9:20 pace, lift weights for 20 minutes Tuesday - Swim 1600 yards, moderate just to get through the distance, only 1-2 breaks Wednesday - Bike 75 minutes at 18 - 20 mph Thursday - Run 5 miles at 9:20 pace Friday - Rest Saturday - Swim 45 minutes, Spin Class, high intensity for 1 hour Sunday - Run, 6 miles at 9:20 pace, lift weights

I think you would be well served by determining your run training zones.  BT has outlined some field testing protocol here   I typically have my athletes complete 1600 and 3200 meter critical velocity tests and use those tests to determine critical velocity and base training intensities from that.   Another alternative is to use a recent race result and use that result to determine your VDOT (developed by Jack Daniels) which is then used to determine training intensities.

Don't make the mistake that many athletes make...spending the winter doing long boring workouts at a low intensity (so-called base training).  You're better off developing your VO2max and Lactate threshold (you'll see many different definitions for this) early in your training plan so that you are better set up to start doing more race-specific workouts as your races approach.  You can introduce VO2max level intensity workouts by doing something as easy as 4-5 x 20 second efforts at RPE 10 (all out), with 5 minutes of rest between reps.  This MUST be preceded by a full warmup of at least 20 minutes of easy running, with perhaps some short strides towards the end of the warmup before doing the 20 second reps.  These can be increased in duration gradually over a few weeks to 1-3 minutes (1:1 work:rest ratio), noting that a RPE of 10 for the short bursts of 20 seconds will obviously be faster than an RPE of 10 for a 3 minutes interval.  Be sure not to start the longer efforts with an all out sprint.   I have my athletes doing this type of workout once a week.

Workouts aimed at developing your lactate threshold can be introduced several weeks after you have been doing the VO2max workouts.  These efforts are longer (e.g. 8-20 minutes) and done at a lower intensity than VO2max...usually done at or just below your LT or critical velocity (work:rest ratio of 2:1).  This is about Zone 4 or right at your critical velocity.  Conducting field-testing again after 6-8 weeks of focused training would be ideal in order to determine your improved fitness level and re-calculate your training "zones".

I want to stress that the above is not a recommendation for a training plan, which is beyond the scope of the mentor groups.  However, these are just the types of workouts one needs to incorporate to develop the various components of your cardiovascular system.  How and when you develop those components will vary depending on the athlete's experience, current fitness level, and timing of your A race(s).  If nothing else, I want you to leave with you the take-home message that you shouldn't neglect more intense workouts during winter.

As far as heart rate monitors....I don't train any of my athletes using heart rate.  There are too many variables that affect heart rate for it to be relied upon to be an accurate measure of intensity.  Many coaches will disagree with this notion, but I think athletes are better served by structuring workouts based on critical power (bike) and critical velocity/LT (run) tempered by RPE.  Hope that makes sense....

Edited by Birkierunner 2017-01-29 2:29 PM
2017-01-30 8:43 AM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Hope everyone is having a fabulous Monday so far and that training is going strong. I had taken Thursday, Friday and Saturday off to allow adequate rest for my first Tri of the year. Second year doing this one. It's a small indoor tri. I finished strong, bettering my time by 14 minutes from last year and taking 3rd in my age group. Should have had second but let my attitude dictate my outcome. Being an indoor tri we use spin bikes, which I can't stand, but that's neither here nor there. I was second out of the water 5 seconds behind the collegiate swimmer next to me. First to the bikes. This is where I let my attitude get the best of me. I set the seat and handlebars to the appropriate height for me. After about 1 mile I noticed my knees were in my chest as my seat had slipped. I stood up, the official reset it for me. Mile 2 it started slipping again. I was beyond upset at this point. The official set another bike up to my preferences, when I hit 3.0 I headed off to the new bike. They preset all resistance to "gear 8", except the knew one that I had just mounted, it was set to gear 9. At this point I was pissed and began accusing them of sandbagging and sabotaging me. My fiance, in her most understanding voice, told me to just calm down. They changed the gear and I continued on. Second off the bike despite my situation.

A little background here, when I first took up running, I used to go to some very dark places mentally. Places that I don't go anymore. I've spent a lot of time learning to love the run, no matter how slow. My reaction to the obstacles on the bike had taken me to a very dark place. The run is a 2.5 mile track run on an 1/16 mile track, 40 laps. 2 laps in I knew I had gone WAY to hard. The first mile I spent re centering myself mentally. It was a run 2 laps walk 1 lap. Roughly 12 minutes that first mile took me. I literally had to continue to tell myself that no one was out to get me, and it was still my race. I finished strong. I quit paying attention to my pace and finished with an average pace over the run of 10 minute miles. It felt good. I looked at my time and the time of others in my age group. Everyone had finished and I squeezed into third by 10 seconds. My goal before starting was 52 minutes. It was doable, but I did not make that goal. I had not even thought about placing, just a time goal, that's all I wanted. As my fiance sat down after the race and enjoyed some snacks, the official who I had been rude to had come in to enjoy some refreshments with his family. He sat at the table across from me, yes we made eye contact. As I was heading out to cheer on my training partner, I paused and apologized to him. He understood why I was upset, but that was no excuse for the way I treated him, and the things I said to him. I made sure to thank him for being so understanding and let him know that I regretted my actions in the moment.

All in all it was a good day. We went to lunch with my training partner who thanked me repeatedly for helping her get to her 3rd place finish, she missed 2nd by 18 seconds. We talked about everything, her and my fiance get a long great which is very relaxing. On the way home I was being quiet, reflecting on the days events. My fiance who knows me all to well, looks over and says, "stop beating yourself up, you did wonderfully." I agreed with her, and reassured I was not upset about anything other than my reaction to the events. Attitude is a choice, it's always a choice, I preach this daily to my daughter. Yes, there are things that influence it but it was my choice to get upset and angry. So here is where I would like some advice. How do you guys over come adversity during training, races, or whatever?? How do you keep your head up in that moment?

Edited by Rooster519 2017-01-30 9:39 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22

Started by Dominion
Views: 27698 Posts: 534

2017-12-27 3:42 PM Dominion

More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102

Started by cdban66
Views: 51861 Posts: 2530

2017-09-01 11:04 AM cdban66

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38368 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31