General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit legs filling with water? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-31 11:07 PM

Subject: Wetsuit legs filling with water?
Hi ?? I recently purchased a good quality Orca wetsuit for my daughter who will be doing her first long distance 10 kilometre open water swim. She tried it out today and she said it fits great but when she got out the legs were filled with water (all else was fine), one leg in particular ballooned out. I tried to research this but the only thing I could find was from kite surfers saying to put holes in the back legs of the wetsuit. I'm just hoping anyone here might have thoughts, experience or suggestions as to how to fix this problem as I'm very apprehensive putting holes into such an expensive wetsuit! Thanks for any advice ??

2016-12-31 11:14 PM
in reply to: #5208493

Subject: RE: Wetsuit legs filling with water?
Hi again, just realised putting emoticons in my measage ends up showing only question marks and I seem to be unable to edit this... If anyone wonders why all the question marks in my question!
2016-12-31 11:34 PM
in reply to: AlisonSo

User image

Ventura, California

Hello,

Sounds like the wetsuit may be too big. A swimmers wetsuit should fit like second skin with no bagginess anywhere in the suit. If water is getting in and filling the legs then there is too much water coming into the suit and the suit is not tight enough that water can gather in the legs. 

Does your daughter use Triglide or BodyGlide (wetsuit safe body lubricants) to get into the wetsuit? I know I have to spray Triglide on my legs, arms, shoulders and neck to be able to squeeze into (and out of) my wetsuit.

You may also contact the manufacture for further advice. I hope this is helpful.

PS: Your post looks fine, also I think the edit function is limited to 30 minutes after you post a message.

2017-01-01 1:47 AM
in reply to: #5208494

Thank you Robert for your reply! She gets the wetsuit on all ok (no lubricants required to help) so I am thinking you are correct that it is too big. Interesting there is so much more involved in open water swimming and triathlons than I had realised! Thank you again for your help and advice.
2017-01-01 8:55 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
It depends on how much she pees in it....

Only kind of kidding, but seriously sometimes if she is using tri glide or another lubricant under the suit a very thin layer of water will get under the suit. This can feel like a lot, but in reality it isn't.

But as mentioned, the suit should be pretty tight. There is a saying that the first event in triathlon is putting on the wetsuit. That's due to the level of effort needed to put on a proper fitting wetsuit...it can be a long and tiring process. If she's just slipping it on, it may be too big.
2017-01-02 4:14 AM

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
That is definitely a sign that the suit is too big. I had the same thing happen when I wore my size large wetsuit after losing a good amount of weight. I ended up having to buy a Medium suit.

2017-01-03 7:01 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Most likely the suit is too big. With water getting in around the neck and gets trapped in the legs. How long does it take her to put on the suit? If it fits correctly it will be very tight going on. working each leg and arm to get the suit in place. If she puts it on quickly with hardly any pulling and tugging then it most likely too big and slowing her up when she swims.
2017-01-05 3:15 AM
in reply to: #5208498

Thank you everyone for your responses!! I so appreciate you taking time out to give advice. We are re-looking at the size of the suit so will keep you posted... The race is the weekend after next ??
2017-01-05 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Sounds like the legs are too big... unfortunately suits fit different people different ways. I had to go through several before I found the suit that fits me.... for me I started with an Orca, two BlueSeventy suits, Zone3 and finally TYR. The suit should feel tight, it will loosen a bit and its something you have to get used to. A loose fitting suit is not good for competitive swimming.
2017-01-06 4:02 AM

User image

Agree with all above. Wetsuit probably too big. I need to use plastic bags over hands and feet to help slide mine on. Good trick by the way.
2017-01-08 3:20 AM
in reply to: SSauce

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure what your daughter's body build is like, but I've found it's tough to get a well-fitting suit for a taller woman with a small frame (like me). I end up having to go by weight or chest size rather than height with the size charts. (If I went by height, for many popular brands I would be buying a suit for a woman 20+ pounds bigger than me.) For some reason, many brands seem to be made only for short, skinny women (smaller sizes) or tall, heavier women (larger sizes). It's generally okay if a suit's a bit short in the arms and legs; it's not okay if it's too baggy!

2017-04-10 7:26 AM

, Maryland
Wetsuits WILL fill with water. They fill and trap water as an insulating layer. However, (as everyone else is pointing out) if it is too big, it can trap an excessive amount of water. This will increase drag while swimming. On the plus side, it is probably easier to get out of
2017-04-12 11:22 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Regular
Originally posted by 3mar

It depends on how much she pees in it....

I was thinking the same thing!
2017-04-16 7:51 PM
in reply to: SeaDogAther

Before you buy a new wetsuit, you need to make sure you have the suit pulled up on you all the way. I see this all the time. I can put my wetsuit on without lubrication or a plastic bag and it is borderline too small. You need to make sure you overkill pulling it up into your crotch, armpits and that it sits high on your neck. If not, water enters the neck and travels to the legs, where there is no escape.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit legs filling with water? Rss Feed