General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to train in a wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-03 12:54 PM

User image

Subject: Where to train in a wetsuit?
I've signed up for 70.3 Wisconsin, which is on June 11th. I'm expecting it to be wetsuit legal. I recently bought a used wetsuit from a friend (good quality, was only used a few times and replaced because he lost weight training and it got to large for him). I've done a few wetsuit races before with rented wetsuits and they have not gone well - the swim portion bordered on diastrous.

Now, I'm not a bad swimmer. I swam competitvely for 8 years, so the stroke is mostly there (I have some bad habits I'm currently working on correcting). But I'm not used to swimming in a wetsuit. The constriction on my chest makes me feel like I can't get enough air, which leads me to using breaststroke instead of freestyle.

Obviously, I know this is a problem and want to work on it before my race. However, I live in northwestern Missouri and most of the lakes in my area won't be open for public access until Memorial Day weekend (and even that's not guaranteed if the water is cold or of poor quality). I don't want to train in my wetsuit in the pool because I don't want the chlorine to eat away at the suit (and I also don't want to overheat). Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on where I can train in a wetsuit prior to my race? Am I going to have to suck it up and use it in the pool and just wash it out really really well afterwards?

2017-01-03 2:12 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Subject: RE: Where to train in a wetsuit?

I used mine in a pool when I first got seven years ago.  Soaked it in bath tub after each use.   Every now and then I see people in the pool wearing them.  I wouldn't make a habit of it but if you want to get a few swims in it to get used to it go for it.

In fact the manufacture I bought from told me to go for a pool swim to check the fit.

2017-01-03 2:18 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Used mine in both the Y pool and even in a private pool of a friend. Rinse really well after use.

2017-01-03 2:44 PM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Another +1 to using the suit in a pool a few times, then rinse/clean well afterwards. 

2017-01-03 3:54 PM
in reply to: #5208788

User image

Well, it sounds like the pool isn't nearly as damaging as I thought (provided I rinse it well afterwards). I'll likely rinse it in the shower at the pool as soon as I finish my workout, and will then soak it in the bathtub when I get home.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! It is much appreciated.
2017-01-04 9:24 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Would just use it in the pool if I were you.

2017-01-04 11:28 AM

User image

Can you not go to the lake even though it's not officially open? I do it all the time here.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to train in a wetsuit? Rss Feed