General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-04 7:48 AM

Subject: Hi!
Hey,

My name is Stefanie. I'm new to the sport although an ironman has been on my bucket list for about ten years. I just never believed I could do it

I lost about 50lbs in the last year doing crossfit six days a week. Due to a work injury it's just not feasible to continue and I wanted to stay active. So, I bit the bullet, and signed up for an Olympic Tri in June.

I'm excited and nervous and routinely ask myself what the heck I was thinking but carry a bit of pride too . Most of my training will be in doors until the Spring. There is a tri group locally that I'll do some open water swims and bikes with

2017-01-06 9:36 PM
in reply to: Stefwagner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Hi!

Hi Stefanie, Welcome to BT.  This is a really good place to start your Triathlon experience.  There is a lot to learn on your way and the people here are usually willing to answer your questions.

Congrats on losing 50 lbs.  You're off to a really good start and your June Oly is a good motivator.  You are wise to do some open water swim training before your race.  A tri group is a really good way to start and make supportive friends.

Some suggestions for you to consider:

Very important - Get some coaching on your swimming and start right away.  Swimming is the limiting factor for most triathletes (you don't mention your athletic background).  Swim at least 3 times per week.  More if you are not a swimmer.

Join a mentor group here on BT.  There should be a group that suits your needs.

If you get a chance volunteer at races to get exposure to what happens and get to meet likeminded people.

Read race reports here on BT especially for Olympic races and hopefully even for the race you signed up for.  They are great for inspiration and good tips.

Hopefully this will help you on your way.  Have fun with this and don't get scared of what you have started.  Just keep at it and you will be okay and have fun.

2017-01-08 9:29 PM
in reply to: #5208901

User image

corpus christi area
Just wanted to say "Hello", I've decided that this year (without a pair of running shoes, no bike, and some baggy board shorts) I will train for an Olympic triathlon to finish in the austin area(my first tri). Very nervous and hesitant to start, since I live in a small town where the roads for running and especially cycling can be scary, luckily I do have a pool to use. I'm hoping to pollute these forums with questions so that I can have the knowledge to complete this first race with ease and enough gusto to train for a bigger one.
2017-01-16 9:22 AM
in reply to: brosemail

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Welcome Stefanie and congratulations on the weight loss! You will find lots of information and inspiration here.

Good luck
2017-01-17 10:56 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Welcome, and keep us updated on how it goes. On the Triathlon Talk forum, there is a daily post about what you're doing. Jump in, share, and have fun!

2017-01-17 10:57 AM
in reply to: brosemail

User image

Aledo, Texas

Originally posted by brosemail Just wanted to say "Hello", I've decided that this year (without a pair of running shoes, no bike, and some baggy board shorts) I will train for an Olympic triathlon to finish in the austin area(my first tri). Very nervous and hesitant to start, since I live in a small town where the roads for running and especially cycling can be scary, luckily I do have a pool to use. I'm hoping to pollute these forums with questions so that I can have the knowledge to complete this first race with ease and enough gusto to train for a bigger one.

Awesome stuff. What tri are you doing? CapTex, TriRock, or something else? Be safe out there.

2017-01-21 12:25 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

Hello everyone, new to this forum and i hope a long stay with you.
2017-01-22 12:09 PM

Hello and welcome. It sounds like you are well on your way starting with the weight loss. I began down this path after losing 37 lbs at age 59. The great thing about this sport is that it welcomes everyone...amateur or serious pro, young or old, fit or...not so fit. That's the fun of it all.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi! Rss Feed