General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Ultrarunner going to try a tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, Ron Reply
2017-01-10 6:44 AM

User image

Subject: Ultrarunner going to try a tri
Hey folks,

I'm Kim, or Kimba is my trail name. I had knee arthroscopy in 2016 and subsequently Grade 4 arthritis reared its ugly head in the same knee. I'm not *supposed* to run. I may be doing my swan song ultra, the Tarawera 60K in February. I'm horribly undertrained for it, I hope to get by with some jogging and power hiking.

I started riding my bike this past summer, and now have the bike on a trainer, which is okay. I plan on riding a century this summer. I need to figure out how to buy clipless pedals and shoes. I'm getting more comfortable on the bike.

Swimming-I'm teaching myself to swim in our local state park lodge pool, which is the only pool available to me. I guess I know how to swim, I'm trying to learn how to swim/breathe. I've been using Swimming Made Easy book by Terry Laughlin and doing the drills in the pool (along with knee exercises).

Since I'm adding swimming and biking to my workouts, it seems like trying a tri in the summer would be a good challenge for me. I don't mind being a newby in these new sports, everyone starts somewhere. I am focused on being healthy and active and positive.

I'm 51 years old, and live in rural southeastern Ohio, in the *hills*. We have Amish neighbors and big hills that I don't like riding my bike up (or down, a bit scary.)

Running is the easy no brainer sport, these bikes come with lots of moving parts to figure out, and I don't know if I am doing the swim part right, so I thought I would join your group here where I could ask my newby questions.

Thanks in advance,
Kimba

2017-01-18 12:48 PM
in reply to: kim_today

User image

Melon Presser
Gold member
Subject: RE: Ultrarunner going to try a tri
Welcome to triathlon and BT!Terry Laughlin is good for newcomers.Have a look around the http://www.swimsmooth.com(the beginners section) for really great instructions and especially videos to help you incorporate drills into one solid, smooth stroke.Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Ultrarunner going to try a tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Going to try Tri

Started by carey459
Views: 377 Posts: 2

2014-03-13 8:36 AM cdban66

Finally going to try the TRI

Started by CTNewbie
Views: 836 Posts: 5

2011-07-09 4:31 PM CTNewbie

Going to give this a try

Started by michicks
Views: 541 Posts: 2

2010-08-10 6:22 PM jpf5911

New and I am a mom going to try for first Ironman

Started by stephaniebaldwin
Views: 1476 Posts: 10

2010-07-06 10:14 AM Mrschach

Intro: Ex - Runner trying a Tri

Started by David Rojas
Views: 1021 Posts: 2

2012-03-20 11:17 AM jtriathlete
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 27, 2015
author : ledjenny
comments : 2
An ultrarunner tries her first triathlon and realizes there's a lot more to open water swimming than she'd thought!

date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.
date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.