Other Resources The Political Joe » Winter clean out..... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2017-01-11 6:53 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Winter clean out.....

Now that it's between seasons it's time to clean out the freezer of the deer, duck, turkey, and goose that we didn't eat earlier in the Fall. (gotta make room for Spring fishing and mushrooms)  I'm making it all into jerky this year and my twins will devour it in their school lunches.  Here's a few pics.....a plate of finished deer and a couple of trays of ducks getting ready for the dehydrator.  I've got about 10 lbs. of various meat leftover.  I've also got a few bags of flathead catfish belly meat that I may give a shot at jerking.  Anybody ever jerk fish?

I know hunting is losing some ground to the politically correct......not here, we like to eat good.

(deer.jpg)

(duck.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
deer.jpg (133KB - 1 downloads)
duck.jpg (135KB - 1 downloads)

2017-01-12 9:07 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Winter clean out.....

That looks good.  Never made jerky out of fish, but cold smoked trout is awesome.

2017-01-12 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Very nice.

Here is some of my jerky. I killed this beef in Publix.

I usually marinate 24 hrs. I used to by packages of jerky seasoning to marinate in but have found that I can make my own and it's just a good.

(IMG_0871.JPG)

(IMG_0893.JPG)

(IMG_1073.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0871.JPG (42KB - 1 downloads)
IMG_0893.JPG (39KB - 1 downloads)
IMG_1073.JPG (35KB - 1 downloads)
2017-01-12 9:50 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio Very nice. Here is some of my jerky. I killed this beef in Publix. I usually marinate 24 hrs. I used to by packages of jerky seasoning to marinate in but have found that I can make my own and it's just a good.

That looks good!  I keep the seasoning very simple and use it for all jerky as it is a flavor my family enjoys.

2 tablespoons kosher salt

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon course ground pepper

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

That mix gives a good balance between sweet and spicy and is just peppery enough for our tastes. I use it as a dry rub and then let the meat/fowl sit covered for 24 -48 hours. It will usually take care of about 4 cups of meat. The only liquid I will ever add is when I add teriyaki to some batches.  We don't like it too strong so I'll use about 1/2 cup. 

For our use we like to be able to let the flavors of the different meats come through.  I know some people who use a spice mixture that is so strong you really can't tell if you are eating venison, duck, beef, goose, or whatever.  We like the natural flavors to be able to come through.

2017-01-12 9:56 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hook'em

That looks good.  Never made jerky out of fish, but cold smoked trout is awesome.

Yep. smoked trout and salmon is awesone.  I don't think I would try jerking any fish except for the belly meat from a flathead catfish. I don't know if you are familiar with it or not, but it has a consistency like lobster so I think it would hold up well in a dehydrator.  Living next to the Mississippi, we pull in our share of flatheads (along with the usual blues and channel cats) on our trot lines.

(fish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fish.jpg (88KB - 1 downloads)
2017-01-12 10:03 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

You've got a potential gold mine with trademarking and marketing "Mississippi River Lobster Jerky"

I mainly fly fish, so is a rare occasion that I end up with a catfish.  Mostly catch and release anyway - I like catching much more than cleaning.

2017-01-12 10:23 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

You've got a potential gold mine with trademarking and marketing "Mississippi River Lobster Jerky"

I mainly fly fish, so is a rare occasion that I end up with a catfish.  Mostly catch and release anyway - I like catching much more than cleaning.

I like it all, but being born and raised near the Missouri and Mississippi rivers I have a profound love for that big water.  We spend weekends out there running lines and camping on sandbars.....and most weekends we are all all alone.  I'm always amazed at how little the big rivers are used for recreation once you get south of the lock and dams......but the Mississippi is just absolutely FULL of fish.  We've made a few trips,down and back, to Memphis on the Mississippi.....it's a wild ride and every time the river is different.

I'm thawing some flathead out now.  I'll report back on the impending fortune. LMAO

2017-01-12 12:58 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Rogillio Very nice. Here is some of my jerky. I killed this beef in Publix. I usually marinate 24 hrs. I used to by packages of jerky seasoning to marinate in but have found that I can make my own and it's just a good.

That looks good!  I keep the seasoning very simple and use it for all jerky as it is a flavor my family enjoys.

That mix gives a good balance between sweet and spicy and is just peppery enough for our tastes. I use it as a dry rub and then let the meat/fowl sit covered for 24 -48 hours. It will usually take care of about 4 cups of meat. The only liquid I will ever add is when I add teriyaki to some batches.  We don't like it too strong so I'll use about 1/2 cup. 

For our use we like to be able to let the flavors of the different meats come through.  I know some people who use a spice mixture that is so strong you really can't tell if you are eating venison, duck, beef, goose, or whatever.  We like the natural flavors to be able to come through.

No need for a powdered cure in there? Still using Hi Mountain product myself; I believe your recommendation a few years back. I've modified their recipe by adding extra coarse ground pepper and Worcestershire. I'd like to avoid using cure if possible, so I'm considering trying your recipe. You ever try smoking it a bit before using the dehydrator? How much does 4 cups of meat weigh? Does 4 cups average about 2 pounds? My typical batch of jerky runs about 2 pounds as this is about all my dehydrator holds when sliced to my preferred thickness.
2017-01-12 1:00 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Rogillio

Very nice.

I usually marinate 24 hrs. I used to by packages of jerky seasoning to marinate in but have found that I can make my own and it's just a good.

Care to share that recipe?
2017-01-12 1:28 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

Very nice.

Care to share that recipe?

I used to go to Academy Sports and get seasoning. They had a 4-pack that included jalapeno, Cajun, black pepper and teriyaki. But it was like $20 for the 4 pack....so $5 a batch. I used to go to the grocery store and find a very lean roast and asked the butcher to slice it up for me about 1/4" thick. I've experimented and if you have it cut 1/8' it is too thing and get crunch why you dehydrate. But lately I've been finding "thin sliced beef" at Walmart in the meat department. I think people use it for philly steaks sandwhich and such. It makes great jerky! They key to getting the right meat is it has to be lean! The fat turn rancid if dehydrated.

So I experimented with different recipes and I don't think I've ever made the same taste twice. Worcestershire, La Hot Sauce, Tony Chachere's seasoning, salt and pepper, soy sauce, meat tenderizer....and water. Sorry, but I don't have a recipe per se....just some ingredients. I mix the ingredients in enough water to cover the meat and let marinate over night. When I put the meat on the dehydrator I will use a turkey baster to put a little of the marinate on each piece of jerky.

Usually start with about 2.5 lbs of beef....maybe a bit more but it you get too much, it won't all fit in your dehydrator.

Sorry I don't have a specific recipe but for me, that is part of the fun....trying different combinations.

When I make a batch, I cut up the jerky with culinary scissors and put a few pieces in very small snack bags (Ziploc bags). I make up about 20 bags and give them out to co-workers and get their feedback on that particular batch/recipe.

OK, I'm drooling now....
2017-01-12 1:33 PM

User image

Pro

No need for a powdered cure in there? Still using Hi Mountain product myself; I believe your recommendation a few years back. I've modified their recipe by adding extra coarse ground pepper and Worcestershire. I'd like to avoid using cure if possible, so I'm considering trying your recipe. You ever try smoking it a bit before using the dehydrator? How much does 4 cups of meat weigh? Does 4 cups average about 2 pounds? My typical batch of jerky runs about 2 pounds as this is about all my dehydrator holds when sliced to my preferred thickness.

Hi Mountain is great and I used to for a long time.  I got away from it when I started making more and didn't feel like paying for it.  If it was going to be sitting around for a while I might still consider a cure......but I can do 2 lbs. (yeah, that's about 4 cups) and it's gone in a couple of days.  If I needed to keep it much longer then that I would refrigerate it, and if I was going to keep it for a few months I would vacuum seal it.  There are 3 or 4 of us in my office who are making jerky with the recipe I put up and none of us are using a cure.......no deaths yet.

2017-01-12 6:49 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Thanks guys. I'm using eye of round roast and am really happy with how it comes out. Probably a little pricier than I need, but why change just to save a couple dollars. I've had pretty good results slicing it a touch thicker than an 1/8. Just thick enough to avoid it getting crunchy and thin enough to where you can chew it without wearing out a jaw muscle.

I think I'll try adding a bit of smoke to the next batch to see what happens. Maybe 30 minutes of fairly cold hickory to start and adjust from there. Just to see how it tastes. Probably try a batch without cure too. It rarely lasts more than 4 days and I could also vacuum seal if needed.
2017-01-12 7:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

My advice would be start EASY on the liquid smoke (if that's what you mean by smoke) to see what you like......you can always add more the net batch, but my experience is that you can sure screw up a batch using too much....don't ask me how I know this. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2017-01-12 7:13 PM
2017-01-13 12:04 AM

User image

Pro

Holy cow.....up late tonight watching hockey and working on some trays of goose jerky while I wait on the ice storm from hell to roll in.  I seasoned it with the same spice recipe I gave earlier and marinated with "Soyaki" that I found at Trader Joe's while looking for something different.  This marinade is a soy base heavy on sesame and ginger......and I warn you......you'll smack your grandma to get the last piece.  Keep a beer or two handy (or whatever your favorite beverage is) because it's spicy...ginger/pepper spicy.......but man is it good!  I only used enough to get the meat good and wet......maybe a half cup for a bit over a lb. of meat , and let it sit refrigerated for 24 hours.  This is fabulous!

Edited by Left Brain 2017-01-13 12:12 AM

(soyaki.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
soyaki.jpg (67KB - 1 downloads)
2017-01-13 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Thanks guys. I'm using eye of round roast and am really happy with how it comes out. Probably a little pricier than I need, but why change just to save a couple dollars. I've had pretty good results slicing it a touch thicker than an 1/8. Just thick enough to avoid it getting crunchy and thin enough to where you can chew it without wearing out a jaw muscle.

I think I'll try adding a bit of smoke to the next batch to see what happens. Maybe 30 minutes of fairly cold hickory to start and adjust from there. Just to see how it tastes. Probably try a batch without cure too. It rarely lasts more than 4 days and I could also vacuum seal if needed.

To make it easier to slice at home try putting it in the freezer for a couple of hours....so it is partially frozen but not hard frozen. Makes it much easier to slice.

Better still, most meat departments at the grocery stores love to do 'custom' work. Find your roast or and take to the butcher and ask him to slice it up for you. They have a machine that cuts uniform slices at whatever thickness you specify and it only take a minute or so. Then they wrap it back up and keep the same price label.

2017-01-13 9:48 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Yep. smoked trout and salmon is awesone.  I don't think I would try jerking any fish except for the belly meat from a flathead catfish. I don't know if you are familiar with it or not, but it has a consistency like lobster so I think it would hold up well in a dehydrator.  Living next to the Mississippi, we pull in our share of flatheads (along with the usual blues and channel cats) on our trot lines.

Is that you? Did you cut your pig tails off?

2017-01-13 10:26 AM

User image

Pro

Is that you? Did you cut your pig tails off?

Yeah.......that's me about as miserable as you can get on the river.  Cold rain that day.....fishing was good enough, but the only reason we went out was because the river was rising with the rain and we didn't want to lose our rigs. That's about as happy as I could muster......pig tails were matted down under my hat.

2017-01-13 11:36 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

To make it easier to slice at home try putting it in the freezer for a couple of hours....so it is partially frozen but not hard frozen. Makes it much easier to slice.

Better still, most meat departments at the grocery stores love to do 'custom' work. Find your roast or and take to the butcher and ask him to slice it up for you. They have a machine that cuts uniform slices at whatever thickness you specify and it only take a minute or so. Then they wrap it back up and keep the same price label.

Yeah, I always freeze it first. Pull it out and defrost it till I can slice it easily. I also have an electric meat slicer ( for slicing homemade bacon ) that really does a nice job, but PITA to clean for just 2 pounds of meat.
2017-02-01 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Meanwhile, some truly devastating news! https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-running-low-bacon-means-144630466.... .

Smoking 9 pounds this morning to restock my dwindling supply. I should buy more before the shortage hits.

(bacon.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bacon.jpg (86KB - 1 downloads)
2017-02-01 10:43 AM

User image

Pro

Damn that looks good!!

At midnight tonight my hunting crew and I are headed to the Palo Duro Canyon area in Texas for 4 days of pig and quail hunting.  Let the freezer refilling commence.....45 quail possession limit.

2017-02-01 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Sounds like fun. The wife and her crew of banditas trailered up there last May to ride. They also hit Caprock while in the area. I've never been, but she claims it was beautiful. Have fun and please… take all the hogs you want!!

(Pduro.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Pduro.jpg (81KB - 1 downloads)

2017-02-01 10:57 AM

User image

Pro

Yeah, it's a private 46,000 acre ranch that never gets hunted.  The owner lets us shoot his quail in exchange for us killing hogs.  Last year we killed over 200.    Tannerite is brutal in a wild hog feed station. 

Edited by Left Brain 2017-02-01 10:59 AM
2017-02-01 11:09 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
You were blowing them up? What did you guys do, set targets around the feeder and det them when a hog was near one? Sounds like a Jack Daniels inspired activity!
2017-02-01 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Here in Florida it's dove season. They're small and no leftovers
2017-02-01 11:50 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003 You were blowing them up? What did you guys do, set targets around the feeder and det them when a hog was near one? Sounds like a Jack Daniels inspired activity!

20lbs. of  it right IN a pile of corn.  Tracers rounds from 200 yards.  I have a video, but there is no way I can post it here.  Suffice to say it brings new meaning to the phrase "when pigs fly". 

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Winter clean out..... Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2015
author : mikericci
comments : 2
How to prepare your body before heading out into the cold.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout