Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2017-04-09 12:01 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Winter clean out.....
My Mom would make it as a special meal for my dad. The rest of us hated it and that smell!
One of the many dysfunctional parenting skills my father possessed was the "you're not leaving the table until you finish what was on your plate." It made mealtime a pretty horrible experience on a regular basis. Liver and onions was the one exception to that rule. He made us at least try it one time, after that he never pushed the issue. I recall the rest of us having grilled cheese sammiches or something instead

2017-04-09 5:54 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

My Mom would make it as a special meal for my dad. The rest of us hated it and that smell!
One of the many dysfunctional parenting skills my father possessed was the "you're not leaving the table until you finish what was on your plate." It made mealtime a pretty horrible experience on a regular basis. Liver and onions was the one exception to that rule. He made us at least try it one time, after that he never pushed the issue. I recall the rest of us having grilled cheese sammiches or something instead

• I love liver and onions. Then one day it dawned on me the function of the liver is to filter out poisons from the blood. WTH would you want to eat that? I mean other than it tastes good. LOL
    2017-04-09 5:58 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    Originally posted by Left Brain

Chicken gizzard jerky?????  Let us know how that turns out.  We clean and eat quail gizzards and they're excellent......but we fry them.  Never thought about jerking them.

Has a good taste but not much meat. Kinda like chewing on rawhide. I have spit about half of them out. I like them though. Pack of gizzards I'd like $1.60 so makes a good add on to fill up the dehydrator.
    2017-05-10 11:38 AM
    in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
    Tejas
    Got the smoker out yesterday.. … .

(bacon1.jpg)

(bacon_packages.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    bacon1.jpg (335KB - 0 downloads)
    bacon_packages.jpg (419KB - 1 downloads)
    2017-05-10 1:24 PM

User image

Pro

Damn dude.....that's just AWESOME!!!

2017-05-10 2:08 PM

User image

Champion
    Alabama

Got the smoker out yesterday.. … .

Cool. Can you explain.....what is the process? Did you slaughter a pig? Buy a slab of bacon and slice it up? How long did you smoke the meat? Hickory? etc

2017-05-10 4:24 PM

User image

Pro
    Tejas
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/making_bacon_from_scrat... -

Follow the instructions to the letter and you'll never look back. I tried a batch of the Asian recipe listed here, but wasn't really that impressed. It was good, just not to my liking. I buy the cryovac bag of pork belly from my grocery store. Best if it's fresh and never been frozen. This slab was 10 pounds. I cut them into 1 pound chunks and put no more than 2 pounds in one ziplock bag. This crucial to the process. Also, never stack the bags on top of each other or the brine will not penetrate leaving you with flavorless bacon. I made that mistake once and luckily it was only 4 pounds. Be sure to rotate the meat and massage every day of the 7 day cure process. Smoke at 225 til the internal temp hits 150; this takes about 2 hours tops. I'm currently using a propane smoker and use hickory pellets. I've tried apple, but like the hickory to counter the already sweetness the maple syrup adds. This bacon will not crisp up like store bought bacon and should be cooked a little lower and slower. Glad to help if you have any more questions.
    2017-05-10 4:57 PM

User image

Champion
    Alabama

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/making_bacon_from_scrat... -

Follow the instructions to the letter and you'll never look back. I tried a batch of the Asian recipe listed here, but wasn't really that impressed. It was good, just not to my liking. I buy the cryovac bag of pork belly from my grocery store. Best if it's fresh and never been frozen. This slab was 10 pounds. I cut them into 1 pound chunks and put no more than 2 pounds in one ziplock bag. This crucial to the process. Also, never stack the bags on top of each other or the brine will not penetrate leaving you with flavorless bacon. I made that mistake once and luckily it was only 4 pounds. Be sure to rotate the meat and massage every day of the 7 day cure process. Smoke at 225 til the internal temp hits 150; this takes about 2 hours tops. I'm currently using a propane smoker and use hickory pellets. I've tried apple, but like the hickory to counter the already sweetness the maple syrup adds. This bacon will not crisp up like store bought bacon and should be cooked a little lower and slower. Glad to help if you have any more questions.

Quick (dumb) questions. Do you have to freeze or refrigerate the bacon now? How long will it keep?
    2017-05-10 6:39 PM

User image

Pro
    Tejas
    I believe it will last a few weeks in the fridge; I've never had a package last more than two days before getting eaten! I vacuum seal it with my Foodsaver and freeze it. Usually put about 8-10 ounces per package. Defrost is simple, either nuke for 30 seconds or drop in a pot full of warm/hot water for ten minutes or so. Once the stuff has been cured and smoked, you can eat it without cooking. I find myself nibbling on end pieces while I am slicing it up and packaging. It can be a bit time consuming and it really isn't much cheaper than pre-packed mass produced bacon but the taste is remarkable and worth the effort. I usually can find pork belly at 3.99 to 4.99 per pound. Figure in the cost of real maple syrup (grade B works better than A) and it costs around 4.50 to 5.50 a pound. Consider the price of fresh bacon (not packaged) at the deli counter of my HEB is 7.99/lb. so it's still cheaper than that.
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Winter clean out..... Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED ARTICLES
    date : November 28, 2015
    author : mikericci
    comments : 2
    How to prepare your body before heading out into the cold.

date : December 22, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 0
    Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
    date : December 1, 2011
    author : alicefoeller
    Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : January 27, 2011
    author : Mark Sunderland
    The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
    date : March 2, 2009
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 5
    Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.

date : September 4, 2004
    author : surfking
    Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout