BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Gettin It Done Group! (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2017-01-15 5:16 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: Baowolf's Gettin It Done Group! (Open)
GROUP FOCUS: (Triathlon any distance, run any distance)

NAME: Baowolf / Steve

STORY: I was new to all three sports in 2007, hit that 40 something, overweight needed something to challenge myself and found BT. I picked up a beginner plan and did my first sprint several months later.. then an Oly, HIM, IM, marathons including Boston. I have had some bumps along the way with 2 bike crashes, broken collar bone, a couple pulled calf muscles and a knee operation 3 years ago. I have lead 7 mentor groups or so and though I an not a coach I am happy to share my experience from the past 8 ish years of going from no base to 7 IMs 4 HIMs and 3 Marathons etc. All distances / abilities welcome but as you can see I tend to go long. My best IM is 11:40:xx, HIM 5:30:xx, Mary 3:19:xx and 3 miler 17:58. Don't ask about swim.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily married 27 years, have 5 children, cat.

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally run 4-5x, bike 3-4x, swim 2-3 x per week and usually train for longer events HIM/IM or HM/marathon. I will hit some shorter races for fun. I have trained by HR, cadence, power, etc.. I usually design my own training plans because I know what I need and am planning on doing an IM for 2017, not sure about other races.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2017): Mostly Vineman (Full IM) in August, not sure what else at this point.

2016 RACES: Sacramento HM (PR) in March and IM Vineman in July.

I have done Vineman x3, IM CDA 2x, IM Tahoe 1x, IM Boulder 1x and IM Texas 1x as well as shorter stuff and Boston Marathon for straight running events.

WEIGHTLOSS: I like to race IM's around 145, but tend to put some pounds on during the offseason. Unfortunately I did put on quite a few pounds when I took 6 weeks off, so lets say I want to drop that 25 pounds again, sigh.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been a mentor 5+ years and try to check the group daily, but at least 4x a week. I have raced just about every distance Tri/run including some trail runs (not 50k or 100k yet). My philosophy is to build a base before working speed, to find balance in training and in your life and to view Triathlon as a lifestyle and not as a race that is coming up in 4 months. I try to communicate these ideas in a helpful way, but if your long run is 3 miles and you want to do a marathon in a week I will tell you that it is not wise to attempt that race as you don't have sufficient base for it. My goal is to train injury free to the extent possible through smart training. This is not one of those heck ya anyone can do an IM off the couch in 2 weeks kind of group. I want my members to go into races prepared, get a PR or at finish with a smile on your face or both. If you are a short distance person (sprints 5ks) this group is fine, but we usually have doing IM's in here and you need to not compare your training to theirs it is a completely different training model. All distances are welcome though. All previous members of my groups are welcome even if they miss the sign up cuttoff. I like members to post once a week and if you sign up try to keep with it for at least 6 weeks before deciding to stop. It is ok if you want to check in less frequently, just let the group know what your availability is so we don't worry.

Edited by Baowolf 2017-01-17 10:39 PM

2017-01-17 1:17 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

Subject: RE: Baowolf's Gettin It Done Group.
Hello,

I'm interested in this group. What do I need to do to move forward?
2017-01-19 12:38 AM
in reply to: Slim2634

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Everyone is welcome from old groups, new people, everyone common in. No need to ask, just introduce yourself. Let me know what your experience is, goals, what races are you working towards, that kind of thing. If you have any questions throw them up there and we see who has some guidance for you.
2017-01-20 8:38 AM

I just went ahead and used your format.

NAME: Slim2634/David

STORY: I ran distance for a year in high school to get in shape. Hated it lol. In college I started training again and decided to do a triathlon. Life got in the way and I couldn't train enough for it. I've been out of school for five years now and until last September, hadn't exercised a bit. I joined a local boxing gym in September 2016 and fell in love. I've always been a huge fan of combat sports. I've come along way in the few months there but once I started sparring I realized I needed cardio. I started running again and fell in love with it too. Decided to try and do that triathlon I've been wanting to do for so long. Bought a bike this past Saturday and am building my base.

FAMILY STATUS: I am engaged with a step-son, three dogs, usually a foster pup and a bunch of fish.

CURRENT TRAINING: I try to do boxing workouts three times a week at the gym and then spar on Sunday mornings. I've been running 2-4 times a week. Now that I have a bike, I'll add a few days of that and I'm looking for a place to swim. I've cut back a little on boxing because of my cardio training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2017): Will probably run a mini with a friend and a few sprints. Going to run a few 5ks for charity as well.

2016 RACES: None

WEIGHTLOSS: I want to compete in boxing at 141 so once I start competing reguarly I'll drop down a little. I'm around 148 now.
2017-01-21 1:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
David, glad to have ya. Running 4x per week will have you improving, biking 2x per week will basically augment cardio but wont make you faster on the bike.

Basic fitness in all 3 sports will get you through a sprint level tri.

Edited by Baowolf 2017-01-21 1:54 AM
2017-01-23 10:57 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
What distances are you running/biking these days? What intensity levels?

2017-01-24 7:59 AM

I JUST got the bike so haven't done a heck of a lot. I did a quick 7 miles on the trainer last night which took about twenty minutes. I have been running around 2-3.5 miles lately. Pace between 7:30 and 8:45 depending on distance. I started running mid-December so still building a base. I ran 5.1 miles but overdid it and had knee pain for a few days so I'm trying to slowly build up to that again. My goal right now is 10 miles per week running and I'll keep increasing distance and lowering times on the bike. Still trying to come up with a place to swim. I could use some help coming up with a better schedule and training program. I've honestly been learning to pace myself better and slowly decreasing times. Running a 5k Saturday so I'll see how well I run in more of a competitive environment.

I don't plan on quitting boxing training so it's hard to juggle lol.
2017-01-24 8:03 AM

When it gets warmer I plan to get on the bike more than 2 times per week. Is there a problem pairing it with running? There are only so many training days a week lol.
2017-01-24 8:07 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I usually work out twice a day once I am back up to speed in my training plan. You usually pair a long in one sport with a short in another sport or two mids. So just balance your workouts, especially by muscle group. So don't go lift with your legs, then go do a 10 mile run then a 50 mile bike ride, then swim the next day. Do swim and legs same day and then long bike short run.

The general rule is to not increase your long run by more than 10% per week which really just means no more than 1 mile per week. Also don't have a long run that is more than twice the rest of your weekly runs added up.
2017-01-30 5:02 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Hello again Steve and welcome, david! I'm coming back to this group and focusing on my first ironman this year. Wish me luck!

NAME: Phil --longtime group member

STORY:
I have a background in swimming in HS, but couldn't run a mile 10 years ago. Did my first sprint tri in 2009. Now I have over a dozen tris under my belt, ranging from sprints to halves. Last year was a breakthrough for me, as I reached the top of the podium in my first tri, a sprint in Texas. In 2016 I also qualified and attended the USAT Age Group National Championships, PR'd a HIM at 5:42, ran my first marathon (a slow 4:40), and finished an ultra ragnar relay.

I work fulltime, and am the current president of a local tri club, PTOTRI. And I've been a brand ambassador for CleverTraining.com for 2 years. I'm also a member of one of the bigger tri clubs, DC Tri Club. I'm starting a side gig as a spin instructor at a cycling studio opening in April.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm 34 and live in Alexandria, VA. Married since 2015, with a baby boy on the way this year. I have an energetic vizsla/weim dog that loves running.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm into my second base week of a 30-week TP for my first IM. Suffered a bad ankle sprain mid-December and I'm just now starting to get some runs on it.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2017): Priority race is KMD Ironman Copenhagen in August (my first attempt at IM distance). Warmup races are Rock Hall International (June), Rev3 Williamsburg Half (July). Trying to keep it simple.

2016 RACES: I overbooked races last year and won't be making that mistake again. All in all in 2016, I raced six 5ks (AG podiumed in 1), a Ragnar ultra relay, a Marine Corps 17.75k run, Marine Corps Marathon, Kinetic HIM, USAT AGNC olympic distance, and 4 sprint tris (1st AG in US Open Tri Sprint, 2nd in division as a bike/run relay member at Luray sprint, Nations Tri sprint that turned into a duathlon, and Colonial Beach sprint), and a 3-hour bike TT ride called Air Force Challenge.

WEIGHTLOSS: Eh. I raced comfortably around 175 last year. Maybe I'll do 170 this year.
2017-01-31 9:26 AM

Originally posted by Baowolf

I usually work out twice a day once I am back up to speed in my training plan. You usually pair a long in one sport with a short in another sport or two mids. So just balance your workouts, especially by muscle group. So don't go lift with your legs, then go do a 10 mile run then a 50 mile bike ride, then swim the next day. Do swim and legs same day and then long bike short run.

The general rule is to not increase your long run by more than 10% per week which really just means no more than 1 mile per week. Also don't have a long run that is more than twice the rest of your weekly runs added up.

Thanks for the tips. That is what I plan on doing. I'll try to make each of my runs around 3 miles and push for 4 on the long day for now. My only issue is knee pain on the longer runs. I did run a pretty relaxed 5k on Saturday with a friend and got third in my age group (not saying much lol). I also ran four miles last night with some slight knee aches towards the end but no soreness this morning which is what I was worried about.

2017-01-31 10:05 AM

Any chance I could get some help on target heart rates for my work outs? I really feel like my running has kind of plateaued lately, although I have only been building a base for about a month and a half (hadn't run for years prior to that). My current 5k time is just under 27 minutes and I feel I could push my heart rate a little higher. I just need to mix it up and include more intervals and increase my heart rate but not sure how to go about it. Does that make sense? I'm currently shopping for a watch with build in heart rate monitor. I'm still learning how to pace myself a little better for the longer runs because I tend to start really strong and fade off later because my first mile or two was much faster than necessary.
2017-02-01 11:49 PM
in reply to: #5210296

Subject: RE: Baowolf's Gettin It Done Group! (Open)

NAME: Dr Oz/Rick

STORY: I am a 46yo psychologist. I am also a retired career firefighter. I have always been an athlete (football, soccer, basketball, baseball) since the age of 4 into adulthood. No swimming, running or track and field history. How did I come to love triathlon...I love a challenge. In 1997 I began running and did several 5k, 10k and half marathon races. Then I completed the Chicago Marathon in 1998. I kept doing running races and duathlons for years. I always wanted to do a triathlon but I was too afraid of the swimming part. In 2010 I had a complete ACL reconstruction surgery where I was told never to run again, just advised to do the elliptical. I was devastated as I loved running. In 2014 I said screw it and began running again. I lost 20 pounds and the arthritis pain in my knee that I had since recovering was completely gone. I slowly worked my way back into training for duathlons and half marathons and since 2015 I have been heavily competing. I just love triathlon!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my high school sweetheart for 24 years. 2 beautiful daughters, 18/22.

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally follow a half IRONMAN training program. I try to keep it simple and modify it to what works best for me. Generally I swim 500-1000yds/wk, cycle 50-100 miles/wk and run 25-30 miles/wk. The intensity and length will increase as the season gets closer.

PAST RACES: Since 2014 through 2016 I have completed the Fox Valley Half Marathon, the Naperville Half Marathon, and the Evansville Half Marathon. I ran the 10 mile state to state (Indiana to Kentucky) Bridge Run. I completed the Aurora Duathlon, Experience Triathlon Batavia Duathlon, Scales Lake/YMCA Duathlon and the Naperville Sprint Triathlon.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: In 2017 I will be doing the Experience Triathlon Batavia Triathlon, Naperville Sprint Triathlon, Lake Zurich Olympic Distance Triathlon, Scales Lake/YMCA Olympic Distance Triathlon, Benton Harbor Steelhead Half-IRONMAN Triathlon, Fox Valley, Naperville and Evansville Half Marathons.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have never had a weight issue but goal is to lose 15 pounds and be more trim. I have always had more of a muscle weight/firefighter build.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I will be a great group member because I love people pushing me to my potential that sometimes I feel I don't have. I love constructive criticism, I thrive off of it. I will also be a great support to other group members as I am very compassionate, motivational and uplifting.

2017-02-05 7:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
If you have knee pain on runs and it is not something serious that you need to see a doctor about... then mix in walk and jog to take some impact off the knee until you work through whatever the issue is. You will still get some decent workout from it. I do this when hurt, sometimes walking 20 miles a week.

Hey Phil welcome. I am also doing an early August IM so we will be on the same build timeline. Tough having a baby while building for a first IM. Take care of your wife, don't let her feel like she is going through this by herself. It is a tough balance. Welcome to the Full IM build, what plan are you going to follow or at least how many days of which sports and what distances are you going to top out in each sport? If you train right you are looking at a 14 to 14.5 hour IM, so plenty of cushion based on your most recent half. Now if you train smart you might do a big better, but don't worry about it too much for a first, just follow the plan and finish with a smile.

Edited by Baowolf 2017-02-05 7:18 PM
2017-02-05 7:24 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Heartrate: To find LT, run warmup 10 minutes comfortable easy pace, then run hardest sustainable effort for 30 minutes, start timing HR for the last 20 minutes, stop data after that 30 minnutes and that is your run LT, finish workout with 1 mile cool down mile. BT has a HR zone calculator for your zones. My LT is 175 for the run. You do the same thing for the bike. My LT is 165 for the bike. If you are running a 5k race, you hit the HR for the last 2 miles will also get you close.

You then have intervals and such with target HR targets. I can go into that more once we have your LT.
2017-02-05 7:33 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Rick great to have another psych in the group, Clinical and School Psychologist here. I am currently the director of special education and have 2 psych interns and 1 school psych intern. Also went to Prom with my wife of 27 years.

This is your first HIM? It is a significant step up, race nutrition becomes an issue for a race that long. Bike: 300-350 calories per hour, run 200-250 calories per hour, water intake depends heavily on temperature with baseline of 16 oz of water per hour at 75F low humidity. This amount can double in 100F.

Strat for Hot races= stay wet all day, ice down your shirt for the run. Strat for cold rainy races, run hard enough to burn off the water and cold, Strat for really cold races: windproof shell, gloves, smartwool socks, headcover under helmet.

Open up the questions and have fun guys.

I am mostly out of shape after an annoying knee issue. So for me that means slow 9 mile run in the rain today, weekly runs of 5 miles and bike rides of 20 to 30 miles. Will add swim back in after finishing the old house to put on the market next week.

2017-02-09 1:11 PM

Just giving a quick update. Got some short indoor rides on my bike at a high intensity but have taken time off from everything else because I did something to my back on Saturday and wanted to let it sort itself out. First sprint tri on June 4th.
2017-02-09 8:56 PM
in reply to: #5210296

Good to meet you Steve. I am in private practice specializing in PTSD, grief/loss and family therapy. Thanx fur all the information you provided. I'm sure you can understand that I feel that I am not training hard enough or succeeding enough. I feel like my training plan is not adequate. Do you have a HIM nutrition and training plan?

Rick
2017-02-10 9:40 AM
in reply to: Dr Oz

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

If you are still open??

NAME: BADMO77A/Adrian (Username comes from playing badminton in school

STORY: In 2013 I found myself at 300lbs even and started running again. I had some cross country history and had done a few 10k events when single but after getting married and moving to Canada things went pear shaped. I love the adventure nature of triathlon and favor events with natural scenery. So my local events with siwms in Lake Huron and Lake Ontario are fun.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily married 13 years, have 2 children.

CURRENT TRAINING: I run 2-3x, bike 3x, swim 2x per week and usually train for 10k runs and sprint/olympic triathlon. I don't really have any good tech and have a very limited budget (my tris are all done on my entry level road bike.) So I really am trying to get the most out of training by feel.

Swim: 99% squeezed into lunch breaks.

Run: One long run a week (about 10k) and then a couple of others if possible)

Bike: 99% on my spin bike at the moment. Mixing up HIIT sessions with longer Z2 HR stuff. Should be back to bike commuting to work early in April.

Focus right now: Simple base building and weight loss through the spring. Hoping to get my weight down to near the Clydesdale margin (220lbs).

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2017): Paris to Ancaster 70km (Gravel,Cyclocross) April 30th.

Maybe/Undecided: Graventhurst MSC Olympic (July), Rev3 Barrelman (September)

2016 RACES: Paris to Ancaster 70km & Wasaga Beach Olympic.

Here in Ontario I have done Binbrook, Niagara, Guelph x2 and Milton sprint tris and numerous 5k and 10k runs.

WEIGHTLOSS: Here is the kicker. I am just over 250lbs right now. Even if my ability/fitness did not increase 1% between now and the summer if I lost 30-40 lbs the free speed would be incredible.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOREE: Need some help getting the most out of limited sessions. My aim is to design my training so it is sustainable and consistent.

2017-02-11 6:43 PM
in reply to: Dr Oz

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nutrition is the same for basically every race. Bike 300-350 per hour on the bike, 200-250 calories per hour on the run. So if you have a 3 hour bike that is 900-1150 calories and if you have a 1:45 run that is 300 or so calories.

Let me know what your plan is and I can chime in. You minimally want 3x run 3x bike and 2x swim per week. I usually do 4x4x3. Also let me know your current long in each event and how many weeks to the race.

Ugh out of shape sucks... 40 mile bikeride, first outside kicked my butt today. Oh well it will come back eventually.
2017-02-11 6:56 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Adrian, welcome, I generally don't close unless I can't keep up with everyone 8).

Training basics: a short, medium and long in each event weekly. Start by building base at a comfortable pace up to 25 miles per week run, bike 20,20,40 and swim 2000, 2000, 2500. After you get there for a few weeks you can start working in tempo workouts and eventually intervals in all 3 sports (not intervals in more than one sport per day). A long in one sport is paired with a short or medium in another sport.

I view triathlon as a lifestyle, not a race, so training builds to a race or a number of races, but being fit and having fun what counts. If you are genetically gifted, and doing well in races or just want to get as fast as you can, after building that safe base you can add in hill repeats on bike and run. Then you have short run, medium run with intervals, long run at comfortable speed. Then alternate intervals with hill repeats for your medium runs. Then add in mile repeats for your long runs. Similar for bike.

You only need basic gear to enjoy the sport, expensive gear really doesn't make you fast, only dedication and training can. Most triathletes take 5-10 years to get into a max speed for HIM or longer races. So basic gear is good running shoes, whicking clothing and socks, 2 piece tri outfit, bike with bike shoes helmet pump, swimming suit goggles. The one luxury item is a GPS watch so you can check your paces for your runs. For our great white north folks, smartwool socks, a windproof layer, gloves and head cover. Add the trainer for indoor biking during snow months.

2017-02-11 7:01 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I shifted from private practice to the schools because you don't have as many no shows at school, you can jump on problems as they are occurring, you don't have to be on-call, you can leave at 5pm, not work weekends and you get a pension 8). Then I got dumb and wanted to improve the system and went into admin. Hopefully I can make a big system improvement for 3500 kids under my umbrella. Although I find the administration much harder to work with than the students or the families. A full cup has no room for new ideas.
2017-02-12 8:51 PM
in reply to: #5213119

Hey guys, I feel stupid asking this but I need some advice. I am doing my first half IRONMAN in mid-august. I also want to continue my shorter annual tri events that I always do. I want to do a sprint in early June. An Olympic in early July and another sprint 1 week before the HIM in early august. Is this too much prior to the HIM? Any advice would be helpful.
2017-02-12 9:38 PM
in reply to: #5213346

Hey Steve, I did the opposite of you. I was in schools then worked at an outpatient dual Dx program where I was brought in to create the adolescent and young adult program. That was my baby fir 12 years then tremendous burnout set in and I went into private practice. I only work M-Th, no weekends, no call. I see approximately 30 patients per week and love it. No one to answer to but me (and the wife of course). Lol.
2017-02-12 9:41 PM
in reply to: #5213347

Subject: Tri top suggestions.
Hey guys. I am looking for input on what you guys feel the best tri tank top with front zipper is. I have a Sugoi RS but feel that I could do better. Looking for comfort and moisture management.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Gettin It Done Group! (Open) Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's General and Long Course Group 2017 (OPEN) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 11743 Posts: 84

2017-07-21 1:37 PM flyor64

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.