General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's better group or single ride? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-18 7:55 PM

Subject: What's better group or single ride?
Whats better to ride over let's say 30 miles with a group 6 or so and avg 24-25 or riding single/maybe one other and avg 20-21 over same distance. Group you go faster but can rest more with switching off sonpush as hard. Single/double you go slower but work harder which might strength legs more.

On race day which one would you benefit more from in training?

2017-01-18 8:29 PM
in reply to: Tripleplay44

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: What's better group or single ride?
For me, I always ride 20-30W harder when I have people pushing me.
2017-01-18 9:21 PM

It depends on the riders who show up and the objective of the group. If it's a social Saturday ride and the main goal is to stay together, you might not have to work hard and if you're objective is to get a long ride in, maybe you can just add some solo work before or after the ride.

Now if it's a challenging group ride, it will will certainly make you work hard, far outside your comfort zone, and it will make you stronger. Hard group rides absolutely should have a place in your training if time and circumstance permit. Six guys, averaging 24-25 on the flats, that's a healthy clip. With only six guys at that speed, don't expect that much of a rest in the slipstream especially if there are some surges. I'd bet you'll get more out of that than riding solo.

2017-01-19 7:19 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Both... having friends to ride makes the longer rides more tolerable, also having a group that can push you means that you get some great interval training (sit back and recover then get up there and pull, repeat). You need solo rides as well as you need to get comfortable with your own mental game (this is crucial for long distance racing, but also for things like TT's).
2017-01-19 8:24 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Depends on whether you plan on drafting on race day (insert sarcasm)
2017-01-19 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
I never rode with a group. All of my training is solo but I have encountered group rides over the years. I always passed the group rides and never been passed by a group. I believe I push my self harder without the need of a group. I would be open to training with a stronger cyclist but my schedule is always changing and makes it hard to align with someone.

I'm more of an introvert so don't need the social interaction of a group.

2017-01-19 11:55 AM

Veteran
Indiana
The best fitness training comes from structured workouts indoors on a trainer. Talking purely about watts, you'll gain more by following a program and not having to stop for a red light right in the middle of what is supposed to be a hard work interval.

Rides - group or solo - contribute by building your bike handling skills and making/keeping things fun. Decide group vs. solo on that basis.
2017-01-19 12:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Depends on the group.  Riding with stronger riders usually ends up forcing you to push beyond the limits you know are possible.  Riding solo ensures that you can ride at the goals that you are targeting, but rarely lends itself to pushing those barriers as far as you would in a group.

I find that my best results come when I incorporate both types of rides on a regular basis.  Riding solo also makes sure that you don't push too hard all the time.  I know that if I do hard group rides too often, I'll end up overdoing it and can't sustain it week after week.

Edited by Jason N 2017-01-19 12:15 PM
2017-01-19 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Couple of years ago when I was training hard I would do a small group ride (< 10 people) on the weekends that was ~ 50-60 miles round trip depending on the wind.  Always had a break at the half way point and pace goal without wind impacts was nearly the same 23-26 mph depending on who was pulling, but if someone was about to be dropped the pace would back off.  At the time I raced sprints at 23mph and had no issues riding with the group.  What was fun was they had certain points in the ride were there would be "king of the hill" sprints, always coming up to the halfway points, and depending on the route coming into a town setting or a bridge crossing.
I definitely benefited from riding with them as my focus at the time was for Sprint racing with mostly VO2 and Threshold workouts on the trainer.  Going longer with this group allowed me to do long Sweet-spot riding with some pull intervals and sprinting mixed in.  First few rides I would be exhausted/sore and became stronger.
Mind you, were I live is one of the worst areas in the Florida for pedestrians/bike riders and have an understanding with my wife to only ride with others and not alone outdoors.

2017-01-19 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I think a mixture of both is beneficial. I normally won't do group rides if I know I'll be the strongest rider. I've been part of a cycling team for the last 2 years which has resulted in improvements on the fitness side but also the bike handling side of things.

In group rides I'm on the road bike, solo rides the TT which you have to balance out a bit. If you have long course triathlons on your schedule you'll want more house on the TT, especially the long weekend rides otherwise you could get into a situation where you're uncomfortable on the TT after 2-3 hours etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's better group or single ride? Rss Feed