General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do You Use Recovery Compression Boot? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2017-01-21 9:56 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Do You Use Recovery Compression Boot?
A few questions:

Do any BTers :

- Use Normatec Recovery Compression Boots?

- If so do you own a pair or are you using them at gym, physio, etc? If so do you pay to use them? And how much do you pay to use them?

- How did you become aware of Normatec? Was it advertising in Magazine, at Events???

- How often do you use boots?

- Have they reduced the number of massages you get?

- Lastly, are you aware of less expensive, non-marketed brands out there? If so can you name them off the top of your head without cheating?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2017-01-21 4:26 PM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Do You Use Recovery Compression Boot?

Yes, I use them about 1x a week - wish I could do it more.

- If so do you own a pair or are you using them at gym, physio, etc? If so do you pay to use them? And how much do you pay to use them?
I teach at a training center where employees get 4 free sessions of the modalities per week - I'm pretty lucky. I believe it may be $35 per session though. I use the cryotherapy as well.

- How did you become aware of Normatec? Was it advertising in Magazine, at Events???
Word of mouth, and through recovery research

1x/week but would be beneficial after every hard session IMO.

No, but I don't get massages that often, I should, but I don't. I feel it does make a difference in how my legs feel the next day, esp if I have back to back hard workouts.

- Lastly, are you aware of less expensive, non-marketed brands out there? If so can you name them off the top of your head without cheating?
no, but I know they are out there.
2017-01-21 4:43 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Yes, Normatec which we own. Just makes sense to buy them when you are 2 athletes in the household. I honestly don't know how much we paid for them since my wife bought them at Tri Nationals (think it was 2 years ago).

We use them probably 2-4x a week during the season but rarely during the off-season (and I can't really say why... just happens to be that way).

Do they help? YES!!! Tremendously!
2017-01-21 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Nope. Not available here or anywhere nearby. Do they even run on 220V?

I have seen advertising in magazines; heard about pros using them after races. I have read about places where you can get a membership and access all kinds of recovery tools. But that is another world--financially and literally, and it's not going to be my world in the foreseeable future. I would be happy just to be able to get ice for an ice bath, find someone within an hour's drive who can do a decent massage (deep tissue, not the "relaxation" kind), or get whole wheat bread. (None of those luxuries are currently available where I live.) My recovery tools consist of compression shorts/tights, a couple of gel ice packs, and putting my feet up on the rare days when I get time.

Only because one is listed in your tagline! Something in the 4-digit range is out of the question for me. Under $500, if it would run on 200V and was portable enough not to take up half my luggage, maybe. I also have to haul in most of my hydration/nutrition products, and pretty much everything tri-related (clothes, shoes, etc.), so luggage space is at a premium.
2017-01-21 9:25 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
I really appreciate your words on this. All is good info to know.
2017-01-21 9:26 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Excellent, thank you for the feedback!!!

2017-01-21 9:36 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Thank you for the lengthy reply. Walking is probably the most underrated recovery tool that exists out there. It is both free and easy to do and can pretty much be done anywhere. And hearing from you really make me appreciate all the tools and aids I have at my own home to help with recovery.

To answer your question, you should be able to get Air Relax over where you are. They are made in South Korea and have a EU, Asia version that runs on 220v. They were actually originally designed for those voltages and were later made to also adapt US 110V. They can be easily be packed in checked suit case and can also be packed in a carry on but will take up a bunch of useable space in the carry on. The unit is a little bigger than the Normatec Pulse, but the boots and cords take up less space than the Normatec ones so it ends up being about equal.

If you are interested - there is a 7% off code in my own article that can be used to purchase off the Air Relax site. They are going up another $20 at the end of the weekend and then about another $10 at the end of the month. I would post the code but since it changes so frequently, I'll just post the link for posterity purposes as I update it every time it changes.

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/08/normatec-vs-air-relax-recovery...
2017-01-21 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks--might check that out next time I am in Singapore. Anything sold there should run on 220. Do you know if anyone there sells such things? Definitely NOT available here. I can't even get electrolyte tabs!

I have an active job (elementary teaching, coaching part of the year) so the good thing is I'm not sitting on my butt for hours after training and tying up. The hard part is I am really on my feet for a lot of hours each day. Sometimes that matters for recovery.
2017-01-22 9:35 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
I will ask for you about availability in Singapore.
2017-01-23 12:11 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Thanks--might check that out next time I am in Singapore. Anything sold there should run on 220. Do you know if anyone there sells such things? Definitely NOT available here. I can't even get electrolyte tabs!

I have an active job (elementary teaching, coaching part of the year) so the good thing is I'm not sitting on my butt for hours after training and tying up. The hard part is I am really on my feet for a lot of hours each day. Sometimes that matters for recovery.

I did follow up with Air Relax on somethings. I wanted to see about availability in Singapore and Vietnam. Good news, is that they just added Vietnam to their order system. I have no idea how shipping happens in that part of the world - it sounds like you are in a pretty remote location. The owners of Air Relax are originally from Korea though and I am sure they have some familiarity with getting product over there if you are interested.
2017-01-25 12:56 PM

User image

I tried them for the first time at IMLOU this past year and loved them... unfortunately I'm put off by the cost. I am interested in a pair of the Air Relax boots but can't justify the cost at this stage in my life... kids are expensive and the wife frowns on selling one to pay for my recovery boots!

2017-01-25 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks for checking. Shipping tends to be extremely slow and crazy expensive. The issue isn't the company that ships the goods, nor is Saigon a remote location. (I think it's the biggest city in the country, and the deep-water port is right down the street from me, a few hundred yards from the loop where I do most of my outdoor riding). The problem is really complex import regulations, and customs duties that are often as high as or more than the item itself. Stuff sometimes "disappears" in transit as well. I once had some shoes shipped to me and as I recall, duty (on a $75 or $80 pair) was about $60. Didn't do that again!

So it really is more workable to bring needed supplies in from Singapore.
2017-01-29 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

Just got a pair of AirRelax - LOVE them!  Would have never bought the Normatec @ the price point. Very happy with the price point and what Air Relax has to offer.  I have already used them 4 times this week - plus non-tri hubby who is a Physical Therapist, Martial Arts instructor has used them a couple of times.

So....thanks to Air Relax.  

2017-01-29 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

This thread strikes me as a spam thread from someone shilling for "Air Relax".  So does the giant autosignature full of links to off-BT articles full of ads.

So Mr. Thomas Gerlach Pro Triathlete, what's the deal? 

2017-01-29 1:45 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by brucemorgan

This thread strikes me as a spam thread from someone shilling for "Air Relax".  So does the giant autosignature full of links to off-BT articles full of ads.

So Mr. Thomas Gerlach Pro Triathlete, what's the deal? 

Yeah Thomas, what's up with all the questions? Am I being Detained?

2017-01-29 7:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Bruce:

Thanks for the kinds words. Would you consider a piece like the following to be similar?

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/05/fastest-ironman-bike-shoes-aer...

if so then what about the following:

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/10/best-indoor-trainer-cycling-st...

lastly what about the following. In this case I was sponsored by TYR at the time of writing.

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/05/triathlon-skinsuit-testing-rok...

If not how are they different from the current one?

What are the ads you speak of? You think any of these companies are paying me for advertising?

I am genuinely interested in Recovery Compression and how it is marketed to athletes. I have had phone calls with both Normatec and Air Relax. Actually I just spent 2 hours talking to Normatec today, talking about new ideas for future products etc. I am learning about this space. It was personally interesting to me from many different angles, with which I won't bore you with.

Curious why you think this is shilling? Do you think the post is not neutral enough? On our call today, Normatec continued to say they respect the fact that ~"trying to remain brand agnostic".

Do you think I should point users to other products? How can I make it better? If you want to fire off accusations that is totally ok, I just ask that you take the time to improve the end product by providing feedback.

Feedback is important to me. I am always trying to be better, makes things better etc. Part of that is balancing it with simplicity which is no easy task but I would welcome your feedback.

Lastly, if you could respond to my original questions as well that would be awesome. Thanks for your time

Edited by ThomasGerlach ProTri 2017-01-29 7:14 PM

2017-01-30 8:08 AM

User image

Thomas:

A buddy saw that I had responded to this and his comment was something akin to "why are you drinking the Kool-Aid?!? Just lay on your back with your feet vertical against the wall and it will accomplish the same thing".

I explained that the boots were like little hugs for your legs and that hugs are always good... but that's not very scientific. Any thoughts?
2017-01-30 11:06 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
I started using compression socks in the OR and Cath Lab nearly 12 years ago before they ever became popular in Triathlon. You can think of boots as like compression socks but on steroids in that boots are actively moving the blood by squeezing from the bottom to the top of legs in different pockets continuously. While socks might keep a nice gradual compression all days, the boots do what the socks can do in a lot less time.

Believe me, walking is the most underappreciated form of exercise in the US. It is fantastic. More triathletes could benefit by simply walking. I also think that sitting with your legs elevated could help the process as well. But the thing with boots is they are just so convenient. Frankly is on of those things you can do before bed and read a book and just relax and set yourself up for a nice sleep. I suppose you can read a book upside down as well but it just isn't as convenient to do so IMO.

Hope that helps. Happy to discuss further.

2017-01-30 2:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

This is the "shill" paragraph:

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri If you are interested - there is a 7% off code in my own article that can be used to purchase off the Air Relax site. They are going up another $20 at the end of the weekend and then about another $10 at the end of the month. I would post the code but since it changes so frequently, I'll just post the link for posterity purposes as I update it every time it changes. http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/08/normatec-vs-air-relax-recovery...

Here's why it's shilling:

1. You started this thread, you aren't replying to another BT'er asking about them.

2. You don't ask about generic recovery boots, you specifically ask about Normatec.

3. Then you post a link to your blog, with a discount code.

At best, you're enthusiastic but ham handed.  At worst, you're a spammer trying to drum up business on a product from a sponsor that provides you a kickback on every purchase.

As for ads on your website, please.  We're not dumb. 

"Need Karma? Get some by making all your Amazon purchases thru this link!" is the Amazon Associates program (link). We get the karma, you get the kickback.  Nothing wrong with that, but you could be clear about it like DC Rainmaker.  He does it with more class.  His page says "Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!"

The ads have other promo codes.  They do save us money (yay!) but again, what's in it for you?  A promo code is linked to you, so say Blue Seventy knows that if we buy a wetsuit using that promo code, then you get the "credit" for the sale.  That makes you more valuable to them.  Good for you.  You may even get a kickback from them.  Also good for you.

Read DC Rainmaker's posts.  He manages to do it with more class than you, IMHO.

Edited by brucemorgan 2017-01-30 2:15 PM
2017-01-30 4:45 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri If you are interested - there is a 7% off code in my own article that can be used to purchase off the Air Relax site. They are going up another $20 at the end of the weekend and then about another $10 at the end of the month. I would post the code but since it changes so frequently, I'll just post the link for posterity purposes as I update it every time it changes. http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/08/normatec-vs-air-relax-recovery...

1. You started this thread, you aren't replying to another BT'er asking about them.

2. You don't ask about generic recovery boots, you specifically ask about Normatec.

At best, you're enthusiastic but ham handed.  At worst, you're a spammer trying to drum up business on a product from a sponsor that provides you a kickback on every purchase.

"Need Karma? Get some by making all your Amazon purchases thru this link!" is the Amazon Associates program (link). We get the karma, you get the kickback.  Nothing wrong with that, but you could be clear about it like DC Rainmaker.  He does it with more class.  His page says "Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!"

The ads have other promo codes.  They do save us money (yay!) but again, what's in it for you?  A promo code is linked to you, so say Blue Seventy knows that if we buy a wetsuit using that promo code, then you get the "credit" for the sale.  That makes you more valuable to them.  Good for you.  You may even get a kickback from them.  Also good for you.

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself!

2017-01-31 6:42 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ

So what you are saying you would just rather have me change my wording. Instead of offering positive karma, you would rather just have me state it like I do here?

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/p/support-th.html

By the way, in regards to DC Rainmaker, just of curiosity, what do you think is he pulling down cash wise for his site? Give me a number if you can. This is another topic I am genuinely interested in. Do yo u think he would write a piece like the following? Why or why not?

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/10/best-indoor-trainer-cycling-st...

2017-01-31 8:46 PM

User image

YES

I own a pair

My tri club has a set in each of the stores that can be used while you are there

3-5 times per week

yes

yes, but no I can't name them.
2017-02-01 8:52 AM
in reply to: Rdracer99

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Originally posted by Rdracer99

YES

I own a pair

My tri club has a set in each of the stores that can be used while you are there

3-5 times per week

yes

yes, but no I can't name them.

Thanks for those responses. As far as the store goes, anyone can use the boots free of charge or they have to be a part of the tri club?
2017-02-01 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thomas, I am curious, what is your relationship with either of these vendors ? Sponsored ? Compensated in any way ?

2017-02-01 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri So what you are saying you would just rather have me change my wording. Instead of offering positive karma, you would rather just have me state it like I do here? http://www.thomasgerlach.com/p/support-th.htmlBy the way, in regards to DC Rainmaker, just of curiosity, what do you think is he pulling down cash wise for his site? Give me a number if you can. This is another topic I am genuinely interested in. Do yo u think he would write a piece like the following? Why or why not? http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/10/best-indoor-trainer-cycling-st...

I'd rather have you portray yourself openly and honestly; that would involve changing your wording but that would miss the intent.

Are you sponsored?  If so, say so.  If not, say you're not.

Are you getting $$$ from our purchases?  If so, say so. If not, say you're not.

Etc.  This isn't hard.

As for how much DC Rainmaker makes, well I have no idea.  Before he quit to work full time on his blog and product reviews, Ray Maker used to work for Microsoft in the DC area (hence the name he used for his blog).  I work for Microsoft so I have an idea of salary ranges and they are in the six figures, so if he chose to work full time on his blog either he chased his passion and not money, or the blogging money is pretty good

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/change-moving-forward.html

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do You Use Recovery Compression Boot? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Recovery Boots

Started by FranzZemen
Views: 2831 Posts: 5

2013-12-16 8:10 PM FranzZemen

Normatec recovery boots

Started by CCS_56_EX
Views: 2653 Posts: 5

2013-11-18 10:08 AM fearlessraces

In a boot, and not a ski boot

Started by The Dude14
Views: 1328 Posts: 5

2010-11-08 8:05 PM QueenZipp

Compression Gear For Recovery 101

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1131 Posts: 5

2009-01-02 9:09 PM bryancd

Compression socks/tights for recovery--do they work?

Started by DrPete
Views: 10798 Posts: 12

2008-09-27 6:28 AM monkeyboy64
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 24, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
How to buy a used bike for triathlon

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.